The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What are your thoughts on Bucket Lists?

Anything related to matters of the mind

Apo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Feb 19, 2019
London
Hi all,

I recently wrote my bucket list to give my life direction and some new challenges. I believe that giving yourself objectives and trying to achieve your dreams also help yourself getting down more work and staying focused!

What is your opinion about this? Do you have any yourself?

View: https://youtu.be/rmJIQkpEEo4

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Apo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Feb 19, 2019
London
I only have one item on my list.
  1. The Well Defined Man
Essential one but dont you agree that dreams and goals are also what will push you to work even harder on your project/company/idea and make it happen. A bit like if dreams were the fuel to our efforts!

Some people around dont have a list or dont care, I think it s important. Just curious to know what the driven crowed of FastLane thinks about this

KLaw

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 4, 2012
ohio
I only have one item on my list.
  1. The Well Defined Man

You probably shouldn't throw stones in your glass house. From what I can tell, dude has accomplished way more than you. I think he is delusional, but what have you accomplished? My bad, you post good memes. Lol.

KLaw

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 4, 2012
ohio
Hi all,

I recently wrote my bucket list to give my life direction and some new challenges. I believe that giving yourself objectives and trying to achieve your dreams also help yourself getting down more work and staying focused!

I think bucket list is just jargon for goals. And yes, very important.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016

Ernman

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Feb 8, 2019
Florida, USA
I'm torn on this. I like goals, but to me a goal without a deadline is dreaming. There's no motivation to take action. Most people consider their bucket list as things to do before they are dead...but none of us know when we're going to die. For now, I think $5M before the end of 2023 is a good place to start.

LuckyPup

Opportunity + Preparation = Success
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Aug 2, 2012
Midwest USA
Hi all,

I think if you haven't done it, making a bucket list can be a productive exercise, and even if you have it's good to revisit it time and again. But for most I think it can be action faking. Making a bucket list feels good. It provides a dopamine hit as you list all the sexy stuff you are going to be, do and have in life. But for many that's all it does - a list of things you'll realize when you finally find the magical nirvana called "Someday Isle" (Google it). I think bucket lists are only productive if you:

First, understand the real "why" behind each item on the list. The why is often linked to a key driver of human behavior, like security, vitality, significance, adventure, etc., and it's the real reason you want to do something, be something or have something. Many people create bucket lists and set goals without understanding the driver and need they're trying to meet, and their stated goals are disconnected from what's truly a priority. Because they don't really understand themselves and the real reason they want to do something, they fall into the trap of making lists of things that look or sound sexy, but aren't authentic goals for them. As a result these bucket list items tend to go unrealized.

Second, only put an item on a bucket list if you are willing to drill down to the steps it takes to realize the bucket list item: long-term goals, short-term goals and daily activities. Otherwise, as @Ernman wrote, bucket lists are just dreams without deadlines. Then, if you can see yourself doing those things and they give you a sense of meaning, contribution and production, then there's a good chance you're on the right track to making that "dream" a reality.

Last edited:

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Hi all,

So I looked at your bucket list and it's too long.

Also, some stuff is really easy to accomplish. I had this convo with someone years ago that had scuba dive cert on her bucket list. I told her, you could literally sign up today and be certified in two weeks. That's not a bucket list item, that's a to do item.

You need to put 10-15 things on the list and them work on them like a TO DO list if you really want to accomplish any of them.

Else, it really is just a list... which is why most people never get them done.

Once they are done, put the next 10 items on the list.

D

Deleted50669

Today's bucket list:

1. Get REST endpoint to post JSON data correctly to my UI
2. Build animation for UI transition component
3. Continue market research

Patrick Jones

growing
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
298%
Dec 9, 2018
Berlin
My bucket list:
- Race a car through the Alps
- See Northern Lights
- Live in the countryside
- Try playing a drum kit

Ticked off
+ Fire a gun
+ Learn Spanish
+ Learn Swing dance
+ Learn to sing
+ Try combat sports
+ Ride a horse
+ Go traveling for a year

It's basically fun stuff to do. Without a due-by date.
In that regard it's very different from goals for me.

Idealghost

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Feb 22, 2019
I have lots of "goals" that are work related that are borig to read and basically boil down to "becoming a millionaire" so not exactly a bucket list.

I was always obsessed with video games when I was younger so my main personal thing I want to achieve is create a game. An RPG with swords and wizards but shhhh... I'm not a geek....

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
Sheesh I don't really have one anymore which is a worrying thought. I've had a great decade though with travel. I never had a passport till I was 28 but then filled a few of them and lived in a few foreign countries.

I'm 37 this year. It's probably to have a family within the next 5 years and to be able to do it comfortably without working for someone else in a J.O.B.
I'm not much fun anymore!

Tanu1234

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 4, 2018
I'm torn on this. I like goals, but to me a goal without a deadline is dreaming. There's no motivation to take action. Most people consider their bucket list as things to do before they are dead...but none of us know when we're going to die. For now, I think $5M before the end of 2023 is a good place to start.

Your right.

I had some personal goal without deadline.

Those are still just dreams.

I always think I will do that later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EnvisionEd

Education Revolutionary
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Nov 28, 2018
New Philadelphia, OH
I created a bucket list years ago (2007?) and started checking items off the list, but found myself utterly consumed by it and put it aside for a while. My family saw that it was taking a toll on me as I stressed about wanting to check items off and warned me about being too obsessive over it. I certainly have the passion and drive for it all, but thinking that I have to get it all done in one day is my problem. It's a great exercise if you have no overall direction, but it's wise to heed the warning of not becoming too overly consumed by it.

Apo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Feb 19, 2019
London
So I looked at your bucket list and it's too long.

Also, some stuff is really easy to accomplish. I had this convo with someone years ago that had scuba dive cert on her bucket list. I told her, you could literally sign up today and be certified in two weeks. That's not a bucket list item, that's a to do item.

You need to put 10-15 things on the list and them work on them like a TO DO list if you really want to accomplish any of them.

Else, it really is just a list... which is why most people never get them done.

Once they are done, put the next 10 items on the list.
Yeah I agree to certain extent. It is indeed just a list and it s a good idea to roll it out step by step but there are things on a bucket list that are long term objectives and take years to build or achieve (creating your company for example, if it is one of your item). Also, you know that there are things that you want to do, whether you write it down or not and cannot do everything the same year (budget/time) I still think it is a good thing to have them written down.
Thanks for your response, I think it is a really fair comment!!

Apo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Feb 19, 2019
London
My bucket list:
- Race a car through the Alps
- See Northern Lights
- Live in the countryside
- Try playing a drum kit

Ticked off
+ Fire a gun
+ Learn Spanish
+ Learn Swing dance
+ Learn to sing
+ Try combat sports
+ Ride a horse
+ Go traveling for a year

It's basically fun stuff to do. Without a due-by date.
In that regard it's very different from goals for me.
I like your list and I do share few items. Live in the countryside is something I should add to mine!!

Apo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Feb 19, 2019
London

You are absolutely right and I talk about it in one of my video, you have to put yourself deadlines and commit to yourself and others to make it happen otherwise as you said, goals without a deadline is just a dream! I totally agree with you!!

Apo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Feb 19, 2019
London
I think if you haven't done it, making a bucket list can be a productive exercise, and even if you have it's good to revisit it time and again. But for most I think it can be action faking. Making a bucket list feels good. It provides a dopamine hit as you list all the sexy stuff you are doing to be, do and have in life. But for many that's all it does. I think bucket lists would are only productive if you:

First, understand the real "why" behind each item on the list. The why is often linked to a key driver of human behavior, like security, vitality, significance, adventure, etc., and it's the real reason you want to do something, be something or have something. Many people create bucket lists and set goals without understanding the driver and need they're trying to meet. Because they don't really understand themselves and the real reason they want to do something, they fall into the trap of making lists of things that look or sound sexy, but aren't authentic goals for them. As a result these bucket list items tend to go unrealized.

Second, only put an item on a bucket list if you are willing to drill down to the steps it takes to realize the bucket list item: long-term goals, short-term goals and daily activities. Otherwise, as @Ernman wrote, bucket lists are just dreams without deadlines. Then, if you can see yourself doing those things and they give you a sense of meaning, contribution and production, then there's a good chance you're on the right track to making that "dream" a reality.
Thanks for your comment I think you are right finding the meaning and motivation behind each item is important and only writing down what we are ready to put the efforts towards!

Apo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Feb 19, 2019
London
I have lots of "goals" that are work related that are borig to read and basically boil down to "becoming a millionaire" so not exactly a bucket list.

I was always obsessed with video games when I was younger so my main personal thing I want to achieve is create a game. An RPG with swords and wizards but shhhh... I'm not a geek....
Oh that s awesome! What are your inspirations?

Apo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Feb 19, 2019
London
I created a bucket list years ago (2007?) and started checking items off the list, but found myself utterly consumed by it and put it aside for a while. My family saw that it was taking a toll on me as I stressed about wanting to check items off and warned me about being too obsessive over it. I certainly have the passion and drive for it all, but thinking that I have to get it all done in one day is my problem. It's a great exercise if you have no overall direction, but it's wise to heed the warning of not becoming too overly consumed by it.
You are right, bucket list should be used as a soft guideline with deadlines but you should avoid being alienated! Like anything in life, extreme is not good!

Apo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Feb 19, 2019
London
Sheesh I don't really have one anymore which is a worrying thought. I've had a great decade though with travel. I never had a passport till I was 28 but then filled a few of them and lived in a few foreign countries.

I'm 37 this year. It's probably to have a family within the next 5 years and to be able to do it comfortably without working for someone else in a J.O.B.
I'm not much fun anymore!
Haha 37 is the new 27 ;) Plenty of time to cross off few new experiences and goals of your list.
Having a family is definitely a great long term objective that I also included in my list.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
Haha 37 is the new 27 ;) Plenty of time to cross off few new experiences and goals of your list.
Having a family is definitely a great long term objective that I also included in my list.
Oh yeah, I'm VERY happy I waited.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.