The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.
Anything related to bitcoin, crypto, blockchain

justonemore

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Dec 19, 2017
NewYork
Just one thing to note to people. People are doing 'Pump and Dump' on the smaller cryptocurrencies. They're premoting the currencies on social media, waiting for the price to go up and then getting out and repeat. Since it's not regulated like stocks, I'm not sure if it's illegal or not(probably still is).
Just something to be aware of...

Tom.V

Tom
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Feb 20, 2012
San Juan
Verge has been consistently surprising me. Price went up huge today over 100% to 2000 satoshi on Binance. Got in at 225 satoshi last week. Needless to say it has been a stellar investment so far.

Dan_Fastlane

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jan 3, 2017
World Citizen
Verge has been consistently surprising me. Price went up huge today over 100% to 2000 satoshi on Binance. Got in at 225 satoshi last week. Needless to say it has been a stellar investment so far.

i rebought at 1600! it will kill 2000 soon

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Genius01

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Dec 18, 2017
Nigeria
I've been trading bitcoin since 2013, and trading ETH since the summer of this year (mining ETH as well on multiple GPU rigs), along with trading many of the alt coins with a multi-market auto trading bot.

Here is my take on the OP's question:
This is a highly speculative strategy, akin to penny stock trading, or venture capital investing i.e. invest in 15 different things, 14 of which will lose or at best, break even, and 1 of which will make more money than you lost on the other 14.

Here is how to do it:
1) Focus on the alts with the highest liquidity. You can get the list of alt-coins, sorted by market cap as a proxy for liquidity.

2) Look at the top 20 or so coins on this list. Possibly filter out coins that are too expensive. Expensive is somewhat subjective - it depends on if you insist on coins being cheaper than $10 or something because the idea here is to buy them really cheap, and hold them for a long time looking for that 10x or 100x gain as Bitcoin did.

3) find the coins that have something that fundamentally differentiates them from other coins and provides some value to miners, holders or people using them for transactions, etc. For example, ETH is ASIC mining resistant and has a contract component as part of its fundamental structure that differentiates it from BTC

4) watch these coins and look for a volatility breakout. Be wary of pump-and-dumps though. After the VB, see if there is any news on why there was a VB. Wait for the coin to start making new highs above the VB peak, and buy in. As a back up entry, buy at the highest historical high. The general idea here is to not waste money on coins that are not showing any signs of life. Avoid opportunity cost.

5) Hold them for a long time. Hold them OFFLINE and not in an "exchange". Use a paper wallet, digital cold storage wallet, etc. The idea is to protect yourself from another Mt.Gox type of event. Also, note that this means holding the coins 8+ years. This is not a short term trade. Recall the Bitcoin for pizzas story: 2 pizzas were purchased for 10,000 BTC back in 2010. Someone in 2010 bought 2 pizzas with 10,000 bitcoins — which today would be worth $20 million Today those would be $194 million dollar pizzas. That is some f'ing expensive-a$$ peperoni!

6) Exit strategy: I'm a trader, so I would attempt to time the exits at the periodic peaks on the way up. I would not cash out my entire position. I would cash out some so I can enjoy the profits (and redeploy them somewhere else), but continue to hold some of the coins.

Thanks. Sounds like an interesting strategy, might try it out soon.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Really close to selling IOTA the minute it breaks even and dumping it into Verge. Iota can’t seen to recover from the Microsoft news.

Dan_Fastlane

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jan 3, 2017
World Citizen
Really close to selling IOTA the minute it breaks even and dumping it into Verge. Iota can’t seen to recover from the Microsoft news.

never been in iota...but you can buy now other cryptos dips... even you let the money in iota what you think will happen 20$ next year? dont think so...

mguerra

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Mar 23, 2015
Verge is going to get big, fellas. Thanks to the folks who sayed it here.

Ps: what about Tron(TRX)? I bought a bunch and I'm expecting it to rise to 0.5 USD or so in the following weeks. Has anybody else invested in it?

bringitnow28329

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 30, 2013
Providence
This isn't exactly true. I work for fund with $1.5 billion in asset under management. We have lots of clients interested in cryptos but there is no way we are going to put money into any low priced crypto's.... ever. This is the same for many other money management companies. Big moves happen from institutional money flows, for example the move in Bitcoin and Ethereum this year is mainly due to larger players starting to enter the space. Big banks like Goldman Sacs getting involved is what moved this market. The recent sell off is due to mom and pops getting involved after the move already happened, and therefore getting bent over. The big move had little to do with people from a message board dropping $500 into this space. So to say that one of these is less likely to go from $300 to $30,000 is false. Of course these little turd cryptos could go from $.10 to $2.00 but the liquidity isn't there for somebody that wants to trade bigger size and the moves will be short lived and unsustainable which means if you don't know how to trade them and are actively watching them ready to sell at a moments notice, you'll end up holding the bag.

hey, you should just think about this:

you know that it is easier for a 3 cent coin to go to 3 dollars, than it is for a $300 dollar coin to go to $30,000 same rise.

watch out for the pennystocks but not the shit ones. Good picks with reasons of technology and usage are Siacoin, Bytecoin, Bitshares, Golos, Tron, Electroneum, Redcoin(not sure about this one but it looks like they got new management), Cardano, Stellar, Verge, NEM, Ripple....

PetePreneur

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Jan 28, 2017
UK
How many of you guys are buying and holding vs swing trading. I feel like there’s a lot of pumping and dumping going on, so a chance to buy low and sell when it recovers?

Dan_Fastlane

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jan 3, 2017
World Citizen
This isn't exactly true. I work for fund with $1.5 billion in asset under management. We have lots of clients interested in cryptos but there is no way we are going to put money into any low priced crypto's.... ever. This is the same for many other money management companies. Big moves happen from institutional money flows, for example the move in Bitcoin and Ethereum this year is mainly due to larger players starting to enter the space. Big banks like Goldman Sacs getting involved is what moved this market. The recent sell off is due to mom and pops getting involved after the move already happened, and therefore getting bent over. The big move had little to do with people from a message board dropping $500 into this space. So to say that one of these is less likely to go from $300 to $30,000 is false. Of course these little turd cryptos could go from $.10 to $2.00 but the liquidity isn't there for somebody that wants to trade bigger size and the moves will be short lived and unsustainable which means if you don't know how to trade them and are actively watching them ready to sell at a moments notice, you'll end up holding the bag.

do you know what is false, using Finance knowledge from Funds/stockmarket to talk about cryptos.... People starting to believe in this as alternative paying/money system with more value than fiat money, thats it... i also said dont watch the shit coins, take a look at coins with a reason (technology, anonimity and speed, transactions cost etc...), a lot of altcoins will kill BTC in future becuase they will outperform BTC, thats easy. You talk like my banking consultant, he is not rich but playing the "i work at the bank i know whats the best for your money" card......

You would give the same advise 1 year ago when BTC was under 50$... If your not aware of it, it made a lot of people millionaires......

and yes most people try to chase money now so be beware of the pump and dump game!

Dan_Fastlane

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jan 3, 2017
World Citizen
How many of you guys are buying and holding vs swing trading. I feel like there’s a lot of pumping and dumping going on, so a chance to buy low and sell when it recovers?

do you have a lot of time and a big chunk of money than yes TRADE if not buy and HODL otherwise TRansactioncost can make your trades even more worse...

PetePreneur

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Jan 28, 2017
UK
do you have a lot of time and a big chunk of money than yes TRADE if not buy and HODL otherwise TRansactioncost can make your trades even more worse...

Yeah, a reasonable amount of both. I’m just looking at IOTA and Cardano and seeing how they’re at pretty much all time lows and will be shocked if they don’t recover.

TinyTim

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
May 1, 2016
The World
Only holding the one alt. Well, one outside the top 20.

VeChain (VEN) - Currently $0.67 with a $185,591,702 market cap.

Looks to have a lot of potential. Undergoing a re-branding next month and currently partnered with a few billion dollar companies. Including - Renault, DIG, DNV GL, and BabyGhost.

"Within 5 years, we believe you’ll be able to scan a product in a store with NFC and see its entire history – who made it – what with – how it got here – and how long it took".

Other than Ven, I currently hold: Ethereum, Ripple, Cardano, Neo, and Omg. EOS and Iota have my attention.

Just an update letting you know that VeChain is now 100% of my portfolio.

Price is now hovering the $2 mark with a marketcap of $549,860,177.

With the partnerships and deals VeChain has already made, this deserves to be a top 10 coin (I actually think it will be top 5 in the longer term). VeChain has been flying under the rador, making deals, whilst other coins pump from pure hype. Despite all the massive news, the CEO said January will "blow our minds". There's also supposed to be a new exchange, more deals, re-branding and details of their masternode program. If everything runs as expected, I envision a 4B market cap by end of Jan.

Please don't invest any money because of me, or any person on the internet.. But if you like the alt market, then I invite you to spend a few moments looking into VeChain.

powderhound100

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Apr 20, 2014
Just an update letting you know that VeChain is now 100% of my portfolio.

Price is now hovering the $2 mark with a marketcap of $549,860,177.

With the partnerships and deals VeChain has already made, this deserves to be a top 10 coin (I actually think it will be top 5 in the longer term). VeChain has been flying under the rador, making deals, whilst other coins pump from pure hype. Despite all the massive news, the CEO said January will "blow our minds". There's also supposed to be a new exchange, more deals, re-branding and details of their masternode program. If everything runs as expected, I envision a 4B market cap by end of Jan.

Please don't invest any money because of me, or any person on the internet.. But if you like the alt market, then I invite you to spend a few moments looking into VeChain.

Wow your going all in? If you don't mind me asking, are you being aggressive because you just have a little money (for you) in the space? Or because you really are that bullish and don't feel a need to diversify at all?

Either way props for having balls. I am definitely going to look into this coin. Just recently put a bunch into XRB and not sure what I'd liquidate from my portfolio.

Thanks for sharing.

Edit: Also just to confirm, you mean vechain (VET) correct, not (VEN.)

NewManRising

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 30, 2017
Los Angeles
VeChain is a solid coin, IMO. It was one of the few I was debating adding to my portfolio. I'll probably drop $100 in it.

TinyTim

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
May 1, 2016
The World
Wow your going all in? If you don't mind me asking, are you being aggressive because you just have a little money (for you) in the space? Or because you really are that bullish and don't feel a need to diversify at all?

Either way props for having balls. I am definitely going to look into this coin. Just recently put a bunch into XRB and not sure what I'd liquidate from my portfolio.

Thanks for sharing.

Edit: Also just to confirm, you mean vechain (VET) correct, not (VEN.)

I'm not all in with everything I own, just my crypto-pot. Most of my other coins had grown 100-300%, so I just took the profits from those and bought more VET. Can't see any other project that has this much upside/potential so have put all my eggs in the VeChain basket..

VeChain is VEN and VET (confusing yes haha). They used to be VEN, but are re-branding to VeChain Thor (VET). The full re-branding kicks off mid Jan, although most exchanges and websites are already using the new name.

Brissy

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Jul 2, 2016
Mate,how to buy this coin?
I'm not all in with everything I own, just my crypto-pot. Most of my other coins had grown 100-300%, so I just took the profits from those and bought more VET. Can't see any other project that has this much upside/potential so have put all my eggs in the VeChain basket..

VeChain is VEN and VET (confusing yes haha). They used to be VEN, but are re-branding to VeChain Thor (VET). The full re-branding kicks off mid Jan, although most exchanges and websites are already using the new name.

PetePreneur

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Jan 28, 2017
UK
So just to follow up from what I've done- The 3 that I've invested in are Dragonchain, Raiblocks (got in at $9.50 unfortunately because bank transfer took 8 days) and Bounty0x.

Dragonchain: Originally started in Disney and has a very impressive team that I feel other investors will jump on board almost for that reason entirely. They also have a good service of protection of businesses data and making it easier for them to get on the blockchain. The main worries I have with it is people's ability to understand it. The sales video is pretty confusing and they seem to be doing a load of different stuff, rather than focussing on one thing. Also the community is average at best. I've leant from what I saw on Raiblocks that the community promoting it is very important- More than I ever thought. So I'm doubting it slightly at this point. I do think it will get some exposure from media purely because of it's Disney connections, so it's not all bad. I got in at $0.75 though, so I'm up on it and waiting to see where it goes.

Raiblocks: Probably one of the most impressive products I've seen. It's a currency based coin that uses DAG technology, which means that it's fast, free and scalable, so it's got potential to be a top 10 coin in the next few months. The guy in charge in it also worked for quite a few big tech too and they're growing the team too. The main worry I had was the team's ability to promote it because the website doesn't describe it and is absolutely crap. I since learnt that they have an army of raving fans that I was confident were going to promote it and get the message out for him (which I said in the video). I managed to get in at $9.50 because Coinbase took 8 days to process my payment, so pretty annoyed because it could have been like $3, but it is what it is I guess!

Here's my video on the first 2, so you can see my thinking in more detail. I've changed some of my thoughts from what you can see from what I wrote above haha:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgPd4IsWepQ

Bounty0x: This aims to be a similar service to Fiverr, except there are lower fees (10%, but should be free IMO), the task poster doesn't have to check the work (especially with smart contract based tasks due to it being automated) and there is less trust involved from both ends because of the smart contracts. This also has a similar community push building that I saw from Raiblocks, but also has a website that explains what it is and sells it quite well, which was my main worry with Raiblocks. The main concern I have with these guys is that fact that the team isn't anything all that special, but I guess the same could be said with Raiblocks and you're probably not going to find a coin that has everything. It's currently ranked at about 300 or something, so it's got so much potential that I feel it almost can't go down much further and it's bound to rise up once it gets on more exchanges (similar to Raiblocks/Dragonchain). I got it at about $0.25, so I've lost some so far because it's dipped and I'm abit pissed off at myself for buying at basically an all time high, but it's very difficult to predict when the dips will happen when you know something is so undervalued. I can't see this being a top 10 or anything, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it in the top 25 in the next year, so it's got a huge potential ROI.

I'm going to hold off investing in anything else until I see any other projects I can see blowing up and concentrate on the FBA for abit.

Dan_Fastlane

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jan 3, 2017
World Citizen
watch out : XLM, XVG and ADA. you might double your money in short!

Bigger Risk with opportunity to yield more: Siacoin, Tron and Bytecoin, they have high market cap but really cheap. So low downward with chance of high upward. good luck!

TinyTim

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
May 1, 2016
The World

Bigger Risk with opportunity to yield more: Siacoin, Tron and Bytecoin, they have high market cap but really cheap. So low downward with chance of high upward. good luck!

So all coins lower than $1... A low coin value doesn't mean the project has more upside, they just have a huge circulating supply. Infact, a few of those projects are already very overvalued comapred with others (yes XVG, I'm talking to you). You need to look at the market cap.

Dan_Fastlane

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jan 3, 2017
World Citizen
So all coins lower than $1... A low coin value doesn't mean the project has more upside, they just have a huge circulating supply. Infact, a few of those projects are already very overvalued comapred with others (yes XVG, I'm talking to you). You need to look at the market cap.

i dont know what you mean, i didnt say anything you mentioned....was talking about Chances and i dont apply financial/stockmarket knowledge, its cryptos, some cryptos can dissapear tomorrow... i also dont know which of the coins i mentioned have a low market cap...... I mentioned also XVG because wraith protocol is coming out today and it can double the price....
a 3 cent coin can jump to 3$ more easy than one from 300 to 30000 because its cryptos. I wanted just you to be aware of the coins because you can make money. if you know the outcome of any coin then please share that we can make all money! Salute

mguerra

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Mar 23, 2015

Can you explain a little more about this? Whats the correlation of market cap and upside potential?

mguerra

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Mar 23, 2015

Thanks for the info brother. I'm already on XVG and Tron and expecting to sell at 0.50~ and buy again on the next dip. What are your plans on those?

mguerra

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Mar 23, 2015
So just to follow up from what I've done- The 3 that I've invested in are Dragonchain, Raiblocks (got in at $9.50 unfortunately because bank transfer took 8 days) and Bounty0x.

Dragonchain: Originally started in Disney and has a very impressive team that I feel other investors will jump on board almost for that reason entirely. They also have a good service of protection of businesses data and making it easier for them to get on the blockchain. The main worries I have with it is people's ability to understand it. The sales video is pretty confusing and they seem to be doing a load of different stuff, rather than focussing on one thing. Also the community is average at best. I've leant from what I saw on Raiblocks that the community promoting it is very important- More than I ever thought. So I'm doubting it slightly at this point. I do think it will get some exposure from media purely because of it's Disney connections, so it's not all bad. I got in at $0.75 though, so I'm up on it and waiting to see where it goes.

Raiblocks: Probably one of the most impressive products I've seen. It's a currency based coin that uses DAG technology, which means that it's fast, free and scalable, so it's got potential to be a top 10 coin in the next few months. The guy in charge in it also worked for quite a few big tech too and they're growing the team too. The main worry I had was the team's ability to promote it because the website doesn't describe it and is absolutely crap. I since learnt that they have an army of raving fans that I was confident were going to promote it and get the message out for him (which I said in the video). I managed to get in at $9.50 because Coinbase took 8 days to process my payment, so pretty annoyed because it could have been like $3, but it is what it is I guess!

Here's my video on the first 2, so you can see my thinking in more detail. I've changed some of my thoughts from what you can see from what I wrote above haha:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgPd4IsWepQ

Bounty0x: This aims to be a similar service to Fiverr, except there are lower fees (10%, but should be free IMO), the task poster doesn't have to check the work (especially with smart contract based tasks due to it being automated) and there is less trust involved from both ends because of the smart contracts. This also has a similar community push building that I saw from Raiblocks, but also has a website that explains what it is and sells it quite well, which was my main worry with Raiblocks. The main concern I have with these guys is that fact that the team isn't anything all that special, but I guess the same could be said with Raiblocks and you're probably not going to find a coin that has everything. It's currently ranked at about 300 or something, so it's got so much potential that I feel it almost can't go down much further and it's bound to rise up once it gets on more exchanges (similar to Raiblocks/Dragonchain). I got it at about $0.25, so I've lost some so far because it's dipped and I'm abit pissed off at myself for buying at basically an all time high, but it's very difficult to predict when the dips will happen when you know something is so undervalued. I can't see this being a top 10 or anything, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it in the top 25 in the next year, so it's got a huge potential ROI.

I'm going to hold off investing in anything else until I see any other projects I can see blowing up and concentrate on the FBA for abit.
Pete, where do you plan jumping out of Dragonchain?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.