The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What are some good ways to make money while in college?

jorabejor55

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jun 3, 2020
Lisbon
Hey!

Im 18yo and in college, studying computer science. It has been great but money is an issue and Im unable to get a regular job. I've read both MJ books, I understand the CENTS model but Im having issues having ideas, and when I have ideas, I have issues finding people that would like me to solve their problem.

What suggestions do you have?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Hey!

Im 18yo and in college, studying computer science. It has been great but money is an issue and Im unable to get a regular job. I've read both MJ books, I understand the CENTS model but Im having issues having ideas, and when I have ideas, I have issues finding people that would like me to solve their problem.

Ideas are plentiful... You just have to keep your eyes peeled. No one is going to give you a golden idea, but we can certainly help you when you find something you might want to do.

When I was in college I started my first "real" company. An electricity brokerage company.

I would spend my easy classes in the back row on my laptop shooting sales emails out to as many businesses as I could, quoting deals and sending contracts.

By the time I graduated, I had enough (barely) passive income to pass on the job and continue to build. It was a sacrifice, but it was worth it in the long run.

What were the last 50 things you complained about? Write them down.

How can you help ease what sucked about them? Write that down.

Would you be willing to pay to have that suck eased? Yes or no?

If yes, it might be a viable business idea.

AFMKelvin

Some Profound Quote Goes Here
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Jan 26, 2016
Rice, Texas
Ideas are plentiful... You just have to keep your eyes peeled. No one is going to give you a golden idea, but we can certainly help you when you find something you might want to do.

When I was in college I started my first "real" company. An electricity brokerage company.

I would spend my easy classes in the back row on my laptop shooting sales emails out to as many businesses as I could, quoting deals and sending contracts.

By the time I graduated, I had enough (barely) passive income to pass on the job and continue to build. It was a sacrifice, but it was worth it in the long run.

What were the last 50 things you complained about? Write them down.

How can you help ease what sucked about them? Write that down.

Would you be willing to pay to have that suck eased? Yes or no?

If yes, it might be a viable business idea.
Immediate money would be flipping and freelance websites such as upwork and fiverr.

Bobby_italy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Jan 19, 2016
Many people here are past college, I'm still in it, I can suggest a few things that blend in well:
-Organize parties, get in touch with someone who's been doing it(if they're graduating and leaving better) and try to help them learn how it's done in your area, than slowly work your way into creating your own events, my and some friends "invented" some weekly events that kept going for 2/3 years with a ton of people, now me being me I always spent what I earnt on myself and friends because I didn't see it as a "job";
-Organize a small "platform" of notes and books(illegal) and sell them for an honest price, every year at the beginning you can get tons of money, a friend of mine paid his rent using other people's notes to sell;
-Connect local businesses to the college, many entrepeneurs would very much enjoy entering what appears from the outside like a closed space, help bring some new faces to the place, like involving new printing shops etc..;
-Register lessons(if they aren't available already) and sell those, you're there anyway may as well;
-Help locals who rent out their houses by finding people to put in that you scrim first;

Those are the ones in which you have a competitive advantage over someone not from college, apart from those everything else that you already see on this forum, manual labor/skills, programming, ecommerce(dropshipping *SIGH*) etc...

IF you're really good at something, help a Professor with it, like here most of my professors are entrepeneurs first, if you're smart and are willing to work they can provide you projects/annoying stuff they have to do, like I had a friend who was earning somewhere around minimum wage for literally doing what we were taught in a course for a day a week of actual work and like 2 hours analyzing the data.
This may not work in bullshit universities tho, only those that teach you some skill which is REQUIRED to work, everything I listed above works in EVERY university.

kleine2

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Sep 15, 2013
Hey!

Developing software is a skill that is in high demand and getting hands on experience will be valuable for you. There are part time jobs in that area specifically for students as well as internships. You can also build websites for people as a freelancer.

Bobby_italy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Jan 19, 2016
Do this illegal thing but sell it for an honest price because you don't want to screw a person over that knows they are breaking the law by buying something illegal. :eyes: :rofl: :moneybag:
man to be 100% honest all the books are scanned and saved as pdfs in print shops... I'm pretty sure a private selling those illegally is less of a crime than a business doing so.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.