The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Well here it is... My waterfront real estate site

77startup

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Aug 4, 2011
Chicago
For this particular site I didnt think paying for traffic would get me sales. Now, im new at this so I may be way off base but let me explain my thinking.

Its for the most part a B2B sale. Im selling agents a chance to put their home in front of my traffic. If the traffic isnt there then theres no reason for them to list on the site. And I dont think paid traffic would suffice. Not to mention wouldnt it cost quite a bit to keep traffic high when your constantly having to pay for it?

For the site to be successful Id think it has to get on the first page of google for multiple keywords to be able to get organic traffic. The agents want to be able to see that the site ranks highly for terms like "lakehouse" etc... words their potential buyers are searching for.

Maybe im misunderstanding and you are just telling me to only test keywords first via paid traffic?

That really depends on your conversion rate of your traffic, your quality score for google, and the lifetime value of your customer. A lot of guys starting out get bent out of shape when it comes to committing to an advertising budget, but if you're even able to make .01 on every 1.00 you spend or at least break even it could still be worth it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

911Carrera

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Aug 1, 2011
3 Rules.

Here is a copy I have taped to my desk.

I follow it.

There are no set rules to business success online. There are many different ways to succeed and fail. Do yourself a favor and don't follow any rules to a T or you will be disappointed and give up when said rules fail you.

bernieshawn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 14, 2011
Also another question. Does Google always jump you around when your not established? A few months ago when I first kinda start to do very little SEO work I was in the top 30 for a few keywords then after a week or so dropped completely out of the top 1000 for those words. Now just a few days since paying for another SEO package im in the top 20 today for those same keywords.

Yes, that's not only normal but to be expected with SEO.

snowbank

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 10, 2007
Austin, TX
Im not really disagreeing with you

ya, wasn't really disagreeing with you either, I think your points are valid. Was mainly just rambling about why I think it's important for people to understand the "why" behind the things that they do so they understand when things apply and when they don't. I think your opinion about newbies having a set of rules isn't a bad idea at all.

Shades

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 8, 2011
Well im currently on the first page of Google for some of the keywords I initially targeted.

But Im now thinking of changing the sites name. The current one bothers me more every day. Just too long in my opinion. If I change the name would I lose all the backlinks and rankings Ive built up to this point? Or would a redirect make it so that is not effected?

The name im currently thinking of changing it to is ShoreSpy.com.......... How do you guys feel about that name? Thanks.

kwerner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Oct 4, 2007
f I change the name would I lose all the backlinks and rankings Ive built up to this point? Or would a redirect make it so that is not effected?

The name im currently thinking of changing it to is ShoreSpy.com.......... How do you guys feel about that name? Thanks.

I've never tried this myself, but I would think that it would be highly likely that you would lose your rankings. From my understanding a 301 redirect will still pass the link juice, but I wouldn't think it would be as powerful as a direct link.

The name "ShoreSpy" sounds like a Navy SEAL operation to me. I don't associate it having anything to do with waterfront real estate.

Just my $0.02

P.S. - A big "THANKS" to Snowbank and zen******* for their comments on this thread. You guys make me realize that I really need to get better at doing research.

Shades

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 8, 2011
I guess its not worth doing if I will lose my rankings.

lol as far as the name goes, all of the short and relevant names are taken. So it either make up a short catchy name like Zillow. Or put two words together.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
I like it. I want to know how you are driving traffic to it, because it looks like it could be lucrative.

Also:

WATERSIDEVIEWS.COM
is available. Just $9.99*

I like this name better than 'HomesOnTheWaterfront'

Shades

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 8, 2011
Yea Ive been tossing around a few names. Like I said though if it effects my rankings much it may not be worth it. Of course, a shorter catchier name is better in the long run......

Shades

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 8, 2011
Ok sorry to keep bumping this thread for the same topic BUT, I would like some input. I decided im changing the name. Rankings be damned, I can get them back if I lose them. In the long run the current name just sucks.

So, here are some options im trying to decide between. Do any stand out as very good, or do you think they all kind of suck? Thanks!

Coastage.com

ShoresideHome.com

Waterfrontal.com

ShoreSpy.com

WatersideViews.com ... Thanks The-J

ShoresideViews.com

ShoresideView.com

kwerner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Oct 4, 2007
Just something to think about - it will be easier to rank your site if you have at least some of your keywords in the domain name. It's not a "must have", but it can certainly save you some extra SEO work.

Shades

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 8, 2011
Yea I had that sort of in mind with the "Home on the Waterfront" name. But it seems if I try to fit keywords into the name, the name suffers because of it. Becomes not easily remembered and too long. Mostly because all of the good domains that relate are taken.

So im trying to aim for something shorter now and a little more catchy. I kind of like coastage.com but the wife insists that WatersideViews and ShoresideHome are much better. I feel stupid fussing over it this much and not just making the decision.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
I feel stupid fussing over it this much and not just making the decision.

Don't. Choosing the right domain name can really make a difference.

That being said, set yourself a deadline. It's easy to get caught up in analysis paralysis when starting a new venture.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

-Russ H.

SitesForSales

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Jan 20, 2012
Just something to think about - it will be easier to rank your site if you have at least some of your keywords in the domain name. It's not a "must have", but it can certainly save you some extra SEO work.

,,,or ,,, you can stick a SUBDOMAIN on any .com domain and point a keyphrase youtube video at it:

Youtube file to upload:
keyphrase.wmv or keyphrase.avi etc

Youtube video title:
Key Phrase

Pointing to ( in the video description )
http://keyphrase.crappydomain.com

============
For best results, include THE LOCATION ( city or state or region )
where the majority of real estate is that you represent
in your key phrase:

Florida Waterfront Real Estate

Shades

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 8, 2011
kwerner - What about replacing an "s" at the end of a word with a "z" in a domain name?

kwerner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Oct 4, 2007
kwerner - What about replacing an "s" at the end of a word with a "z" in a domain name?

Never tried it before. It still wouldn't be an "exact match", but having some keywords in the domain would be better than having none. But like I said, it's not something critically important. There's a million examples of sites that rank well that aren't EMD's or have keywords in the domain name, it just might take a little more effort to rank them. Are you planning on 100% of your traffic to the site coming from search results or do you have other traffic methods planned as well?

champion510

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Feb 9, 2012
Love the website look and feel! :)
Optimize it for search engines and you are good to go with a domain like that.

bronz

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Feb 9, 2012
Hello,

Definitely change the logo asap. As soon as i see a logo like that, i associate it with cheap, one-man type of company. Such image provides you no credibility at all even if your service is top notch. Of course, that is only my opnion.

You can have a great logo created via elance.com or odesk.com

Lots of freelancers looking for work on there.

Vito

Ready2bfamous

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Jul 4, 2010
PCB, Florida
This seems like a great venture. Great name, who cares that its a bit long. It catches the long tail term, right? The logo in my opinion is awesome because its simple and to the point, which seems to be somewhat rare when seeing sites. I feel like there are several places where they put too much emphasis.

Good Luck to you!

Shades

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 8, 2011
I agree that my logo isnt great. I have to decide on what the new name is gonna be before I get into having someone do a new logo though.

Shades

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 8, 2011
Great name, who cares that its a bit long.

I liked it at first. Lately the more I think about it, it just seems to long and not catchy. Maybe im over analyzing it.

Im wondering how much it helps me rank for terms like Waterfront Homes and Waterfront Property.

Right now im liking Waterfrontz.com

Im just not sure if replacing the "s" with a "z" will have any sort of negative effect.

Ready2bfamous

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Jul 4, 2010
PCB, Florida
Whatever you do. Don't do the z. Its not that great and seriously, ask yourself why? What the heck do you need to have a Z at the end of something for unless you have gold teeth...

i think as time goes by and that you gain momentum you will continually to get better at this.

Reno

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Nov 21, 2011
Seattle, WA
Great thread. Thanks especially to zen******* and Snowbank for the different different perspectives and friendly debate.

Shades I personally think you have a good idea and have started well. Prol doesn't mean much coming from me I am a newbie and just ran my first business into the ground XD. I think you started this business at a good time as well with the economy and real estate markets seeming to recover in the not to distant future, you may have a foothold early on that could turn into a solid niche once established in a recovered market.

I personally don't think you should get to distracted by the name, but that's just me. I think homeonthewaterfront.com works for what you are doing, esp if its B2B.

rodney

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jan 3, 2012
inland empire
Hi Shades,

It's a beautiful well put together site! Your footer should contain something about you or your company, and perhaps adding a blog to your site would help in SEO. Our services are similar to yours, but we are focusing on the roommate, tenant, landlord, and rental marketplace at Roomplug - Rooms For Rent. Live Happy. All Under One Roof.

Congrats on your site and continue success!

User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Feb 29, 2012
Austin, TX
I liked you site. I am a Real Estate agent in Texas too! WHat I think has impact though.....is when you land on your homepage it would be nice to have a view of the water. Lake, river, ocean etc. Then have your featured properties down the side. It gives the client the illusion they can have that view by purchasing one of your homes. Travel company are masters of this. If you want to be more "real" and are specializing in a particular area, then find an amazing shot of that view and have that on your homepage. I agree with everyone else that your logo is just ok. Hope this helps!

Thrive

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Nov 2, 2011
San Antonio, TX
Although everybody has said it, I also agree that once you are for sure good with a name, you should get a new logo. When I looked at your site, it loaded first and it kinda put me off but then everything else loaded and it came back. A nice logo really can set you apart in just 1 second.

Shades

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 8, 2011
I decided to stick with the name.

What do you guys think of this logo?

_HomeOnTheWaterfront.jpg

Shades

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 8, 2011
Thanks. I had two new logos done. The other one is terrible. This one isnt bad to me. I know a lot of people didnt like the original logo I have on the site now. Im wondering if this logo gives off the same low caliber feeling to those people.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.