The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Weekly Progress: What will you get done this week?

Threads with an onging chat or conversation

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I'm working on two websites for one client. An old business and a new business. They've put the old website on the back burner while they focus on the new. But that has left me hanging with the old because they won't approve the pages. It's not a matter of bad work. They just aren't making the time to look at the work. My one thing this week is to finish the work on the old one and go ahead and bill them. They are great clients with too much on their plate right now, but I need to clear my own plate so I can make room for more.
Remember... they're not a client if they don't pay you.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Isaac Odongo

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Nov 7, 2022
Uganda
Week Commencing Monday 29-May-23

What needs to happen for you to be happy with progress this week?
Will use the prepublished book to teach the candidate class grammar. Already started this evening. Will continue tomorrow. Then I will assess them promptly and judge the book as effective or otherwise.

Jeannairene

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
May 30, 2023
Remember... they're not a client if they don't pay you.
Well, they do pay and have paid the 50% down., but this particular project has been on their backburner. I'm ready for the other 50%. Having said that, I reached out to them and they are "right now" working on approving those pages. Sooo... what will I do this week has been done.

Raedrum

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
232%
Jul 30, 2019
A tip is to ask people if they know anyone who needs help with their website or a new website. That way you're not asking them directly if *they* need a new website, and it gets them to think about who they can refer to you.

Like this:

Huh. I should try that on X cold calls and see what happens.

THIS WEEK I NEED TO:

(it's already thursday again but)

- Finish the SEO redesign of 2 past clients websites. Will work on WE.
- Finish your Google Ads Jumpstart Course and continue reading your threads about google ads (+ soundcloud podcast)
- Improve my quality of life by eating fruits, smoke less, doing sport etc

I already have a little website to do next week for a friend (heating company) so it's nice

PS: this thread is very cool. It's a simple way to write down goals and be active on the forum

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Week Commencing Monday 05-Jun-23

What do you know you should be doing but aren't?

Len_1590

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 13, 2023

I'm almost done with the Udemy Web Design course and Fox's course. I want to start contacting businesses, but I don't have a portfolio. I'll finish the courses and build a website to showcase my work.

My friends and acquaintances haven't responded to my requests to design websites for them. I'll focus on the Udemy courses so I have something to show potential clients.

I'm also considering building a website for myself. What do people think about this?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I'm almost done with the Udemy Web Design course and Fox's course. I want to start contacting businesses, but I don't have a portfolio. I'll finish the courses and build a website to showcase my work.

My friends and acquaintances haven't responded to my requests to design websites for them. I'll focus on the Udemy courses so I have something to show potential clients.

I'm also considering building a website for myself. What do people think about this?
Ask friends and acquaintances if they know anyone who needs a website. Don't ask if *they* need a website.

Sure, build a site for yourself. Also consider creating a free one for some local businesses. Maybe even get some local PR?

DCG

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Nov 15, 2022

I need to pass all my finals in school

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
#Side hustle
Some Months ago a friend asked me for a gadget for a dirtbike I produced 2,5 years ago.
A week ago I rediscovered the bag with those again and my son talked me into making a homepage to try to sell those again.
So last week I installed Wordpress and now I need to install Woocommerce.
My plan this week: install Woocommerce.

Small steps, I hope, I don’t give up again before really try to. My frustration level is my serious enemy.

Katherine

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
248%
Mar 11, 2019
Singapore

Marketing - Will be sending at least 10 cold emails to local business this week.

Last edited:

Lyzmin

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
296%
Jan 30, 2023
Amsterdam, Netherlands
  • Finish my (free) ai course 'Elements of ai'. (from Helsinki University if anyone wants to follow it)
  • Read my new book 'Ultralearning' till page 119 (105 to go)
  • Get clarity on the next step in a partnership with an appointment-setting company about equity. (I want 49%)
  • Finish three processes of potential new interim recruitment projects who approached me.
  • Buy a second-hand car within the budget I set for Eindhoven. (€3000 max)
  • Take care of living space in Eindhoven -> Have a room/studio by the end of this month.
  • Hire 3 campaign managers, finishing my last vacancy for my current project.

• Focus on my course. - last week there were too many 'urgent fires' to extinguish.
  • Go for a deep tissue massage.
@Andy Black

How did it go with exercise? Could you block and follow up on the timeslots on your calendar?
Did you take one (or even better, both) of your sons with you?
Were you able to quiet down the tools after 11 pm?

Have a great week everybody!

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
How did it go with exercise? Could you block and follow up on the timeslots on your calendar?
Did you take one (or even better, both) of your sons with you?
Were you able to quiet down the tools after 11 pm?
It didn't go well. I went on a short hike with the family on Saturday, and a short jog on my own this morning. We never hit the gym. It's school holidays this week so I doubt I'll get out daily, and I just lent my kettle bell to my stepson. I'll see what I can do in the meantime this week.

Raedrum

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
232%
Jul 30, 2019
This week I need to:

- Wait for my client to pay an upgrade of his website hosting (his database is 40 Mo !) in order to work on his SEO. His host has bugs on his side (he cannot pay :/)

- Get an agreement with a friend to make his website for his soon-to-come heating venture.

- Post on different self-employed FB groups to propose my advertising graphic design services
---------------------------

I must say I’m getting tired, it seems that everything I undertake encounters an abnormal amount of difficulties over which I have little to no control.

Plus I have the feeling more and more that my country have 0 entrepreneurship mindset. People doesn't want to upgrade or take the slightest risk, even with irresistible offers, they just want things to run more or less and leave them alone.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
This week I need to:

- Wait for my client to pay an upgrade of his website hosting (his database is 40 Mo !) in order to work on his SEO. His host has bugs on his side (he cannot pay :/)

- Get an agreement with a friend to make his website for his soon-to-come heating venture.

- Post on different self-employed FB groups to propose my advertising graphic design services
---------------------------

I must say I’m getting tired, it seems that everything I undertake encounters an abnormal amount of difficulties over which I have little to no control.

Plus I have the feeling more and more that my country have 0 entrepreneurship mindset. People doesn't want to upgrade or take the slightest risk, even with irresistible offers, they just want things to run more or less and leave them alone.
Some lines by Blaise Brosnan that might help:

"Sales is a screening process."

"Find out as soon as possible if they see the value in what you do, or just the cost."

Also, I created this video after a presentation Blaise gave us:

OMDA

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Dec 21, 2017
FL
So far this week:
Flying through web design refresher. Made a list of near-term tasks.
Have plans to revisit sales lessons to help reach out to potential customers as well as make portfolio pages.
Scuttled some old sites that I wasn't using that was just taking a monthly fee not doing anything.
Decided to kill existing phone app idea for now (or at least firm pause) as it was more time consuming vs. websites.
Cutting back significantly on drinking. Sleep is a lot better.

Have been waking up and instead of checking social media/scrolling have been working on fastlane things. Back in the groove, but want to stay on top of things as it's an easy habit to break.

Raedrum

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
232%
Jul 30, 2019
Some lines by Blaise Brosnan that might help:

"Sales is a screening process."

"Find out as soon as possible if they see the value in what you do, or just the cost."

Also, I created this video after a presentation Blaise gave us:

Yes thank you Andy this is indeed the mindset to have. In addition if I want to be honest I must say that my offers are not as irresistible as they could get.

I realize that in order to be truly good, an offer must:

- Solve a true need
- That need must be understood by the clients this is very important
- The price must correlate too the perceived value
- The process have to be as smooth and fast as possible

Regarding all that I probably don't make enough efforts but I'm tired, I wish I had this wisdom 1 years ago.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Yes thank you Andy this is indeed the mindset to have. In addition if I want to be honest I must say that my offers are not as irresistible as they could get.

I realize that in order to be truly good, an offer must:

- Solve a true need
- That need must be understood by the clients this is very important
- The price must correlate too the perceived value
- The process have to be as smooth and fast as possible

Regarding all that I probably don't make enough efforts but I'm tired, I wish I had this wisdom 1 years ago.
I think the targeting is more important than the offer.

Sell water to people dying of thirst in the desert, rather than ice to eskimos.

OMDA

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Dec 21, 2017
FL
Remainder of week:
Good practice in downtime as well as in morning and after work. Replicated a basic page layout. Relearning a little bit more about responsive layouts then planning on recreating a website that someone I know made with a codeless tool and she uses for getting gigs.

Wrote down several portfoilio type ideas and am going to try to organize priority by maximum utility for someone else. A lot quicker getting moving on some things. Want to get a bunch done before I go out of country for a couple of weeks on vacation.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Week Commencing Monday 12-Jun-23

Lyzmin

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
296%
Jan 30, 2023
Amsterdam, Netherlands
This week:
  • Finish up my current project - get at least two recommendations
  • Finish my book 'Ultralearning'. - make an execution focused summary
  • Bundle the project requests for after my vacation in July.
  • Cooldown focusing on enjoying next week Bordeaux.

Accountability last week:
  • Finish my (free) ai course 'Elements of ai'. (from Helsinki University if anyone wants to follow it) > DONE
  • Read my new book 'Ultralearning' till page 119 (105 to go) > DONE
  • Get clarity on the next step in a partnership with an appointment-setting company about equity. (I want 49%)
    > Got 40% with great value structure.
  • Finish three processes of potential new interim recruitment projects who approached me. > DONE
  • Buy a second-hand car within the budget I set for Eindhoven. (€3000 max)
    > Went for €5000 max, still looking for the right car
  • Take care of living space in Eindhoven -> Have a room/studio by the end of this month. > DONE
  • Hire 3 campaign managers, finishing my last vacancy for my current project. > DONE

@Andy Black back at you: (from a blog I read)

"The difference between how I feel before my first set in the gym and how I feel after my first set is enormous.

You don't even need a full workout (or work session, etc.) to feel good again. You are 5 minutes away from putting your day on a completely different trajectory."

Question for you: "What is something that made you feel proud today? If nothing comes to mind, how can you spend the next 5 minutes in a way that will make you feel proud?"

OMDA

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Dec 21, 2017
FL
Replicated a pretty simple layout of a site from example, without having to look up any additional code.
Got a lot more done working through some books than I expected this weekend. I think I've cruised through about 300 pages of material (lots of images, and this is re-learning for me so I skip things that are obvious) since starting again last week.

Want to learn just a little more this week then replicate a full website. Then figure out hosting, start working on another portfolio page and then get to contacting leads.

Want to set up a video, unrelated, with affiliate link based off of something I've been using for 3 years and everyone seems to ask me about when they see it.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Week Commencing Monday 19-Jun-23
  1. What ONE thing needs to happen for you to be happy with progress this week?
  2. What should you be doing but aren't?

Raedrum

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
232%
Jul 30, 2019
This week I need to:

- Finish the SEO of a past accountant client website (almost done)
- Finish the one page website of a friend future heating venture before thursday
- Present this website to 2 leads that might be interested in one page website
- Post my services in a FB tattoo group (I've got a pretty decent tattoo website in my portfolio)

- And create/upload designs for my POD side hustle (I know the reputation of POD around here I just want to test it by myself, trying to skew it correctly)

OMDA

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Dec 21, 2017
FL
Started making a pretty simple app that I think some others will use. Just re-learned a bunch of webdev stuff and added basic database skills and am throwing together something appealing but it'll take time squeezed in before/after work.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Week Commencing Monday 26-Jun-23
  1. What wil make you happy with progress this week?
  2. What are you doing to make a sale this week?
  3. What are you not doing but should be?

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia

1. Get my domain transferred over to squarspace and have amazon Web services set up.

2. Producing more content, building an email sequence to follow up on my free ebook to provide more helpful information. Sell via affiliate links on my youtube related to what can help my viewers.

3. Thinking more about what unique value additions I can have that will make people desire my paid products

Len_1590

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 13, 2023
  1. I'll be happy with my week if I send emails to all the local businesses I recced over the weekend that I can help. I'm making each email slightly personal given they're local. I'm potentially spending more time than I need to on each, but it feels worth it to me.
  2. To make a sale, I am going to follow up on several of the emails by going to the business in person. This will be new for me (also scary as it's something I've never done before) but gives me a great opportunity to learn and develop myself in an area that can only be good for me long term.
  3. Separating my time well enough. I spend a lot of time during the day (in my 9-5) focused on what I can do outside my 9-5 so that to complete all the work in my 9-5, I'm not working 9-5 (if that makes sense).
There has been a big change in mindset recently as I stopped just learning code (figured I knew enough and can pick up quickly) and started cold emailing, something I never thought I'd have the courage to do.

What about you Andy?

OMDA

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Dec 21, 2017
FL
  1. I'll be happy with my week if I send emails to all the local businesses I recced over the weekend that I can help. I'm making each email slightly personal given they're local. I'm potentially spending more time than I need to on each, but it feels worth it to me.
  2. To make a sale, I am going to follow up on several of the emails by going to the business in person. This will be new for me (also scary as it's something I've never done before) but gives me a great opportunity to learn and develop myself in an area that can only be good for me long term.
  3. Separating my time well enough. I spend a lot of time during the day (in my 9-5) focused on what I can do outside my 9-5 so that to complete all the work in my 9-5, I'm not working 9-5 (if that makes sense).
There has been a big change in mindset recently as I stopped just learning code (figured I knew enough and can pick up quickly) and started cold emailing, something I never thought I'd have the courage to do.

What about you Andy?
Curious if you got a portfolio up or not? I have hesitated contacting customers yet without mine up.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.