The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Web forms -- need your opinion

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
Hola,

I wasn't sure what forum to post this in, but figured this is product development.

SO, I am not a web developer... and am struggling with proper execution of my website. The target audience is businesses for account management and access into the provided service.

My philosophy on design thus far has been functional and professional. When I ran the setup by some friends, the feedback was strongly on the this looks weak side and had strong suggestions to make it visually more impressive. Animations, restyling with CSS, more images, etc.

Seeing as none of the reviewers were in my target audience, what is your opinion? And yes, I am inviting you to be as brutally honest in your input as it will only serve to help me.

Here's one of the forms I have for registering a new mobile application:

2w6arno.png

Questions:
  1. Should I be focusing more on visual styling? Right now I've been shooting for a WinForms, strictly functional look to imply a focus on the service rather than the glam.
  2. What do YOU as a business owner prefer to use? If you were to log into my site, what would you expect/want?

I am also currently using Notepad++ for the coding of PHP, Html, and CSS and hosting through my local machine's IIS for previews. I was using NetBeans for project management, but it was just slowing me down. I'd get Dreamweaver but I want to use all 3 of my screens, and hate that they have a single screen platform. Any suggestions on an IDE if you are a web developer?

Thanks all. :) I know you can't just tell me how to make my site, but small insight would be appreciated. This also falls into the psychology of presentation to your target audience, so it is a bit of an interesting subject.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
For me I would get your product out there and see if you can sell it. Make upgrades and changes along the way.

Your form looks much better than some I have seen which are used by very successful companies.

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
For me I would get your product out there and see if you can sell it. Make upgrades and changes along the way.

Your form looks much better than some I have seen which are used by very successful companies.

Thanks. So for you, visual representation wouldn't matter? As long as it's easy to use and does what it's supposed to do well?

I guess I'll map out how I'm feeling:
ExecutionMy ImpressionMy Friends ImpressionYour Impression
Funcational first. No styling.Focused on functionality. I'm paying for the service, not for a beautiful experience.Cheap and speaks about how well the service must be made. Couldn't even make a decent UI.???
Beautiful user interface.Too focused on looks and not focused enough on the product, the service.Clearly they have a nice product. If their UI is this nice, their service must be incredible.???

This is my impression of a business user interface and my friends impression of mine. But I'm not making a website for myself haha, so I don't want to develop to my impression and miss what I want the user to feel when interacting. And... I don't want to develop to my friends who aren't my target audience if my target would have agreed with me in the first place.

Oh the humanity:smilielol:

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
If it's for businesses, presentation matters less. You should see the back end of X-Cart or Magento. Not pretty, but VERY functional. Function over form in the business space, for sure.

It sounds like your friends may be coming from a retail/buyer perspective.

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
THISSSSSSSSSSSSSS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The back end of the company that does fulfillment for me looks horrible horrible and old fashioned compared to your example.

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
If it's for businesses, presentation matters less. You should see the back end of X-Cart or Magento. Not pretty, but VERY functional. Function over form in the business space, for sure.

It sounds like your friends may be coming from a retail/buyer perspective.

Yup, they are.

My old employer had probably the worst implementation of an ASP.NET site I've ever seen. The styling was terrible and never displayed properly and it often times didn't even work functionally. That user experience gave me an entire impression on how cheap the company is. They're a company full of programmers and they couldn't even make a decent website. I don't want that to happen to me...

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
THISSSSSSSSSSSSSS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The back end of the company that does fulfillment for me looks horrible horrible and old fashioned compared to your example.

:smilielol:

Great input to know. Do you get the impression that they're focused on their services functionality more? Or that they were just cheap and should upgrade?

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
:smilielol:

Great input to know. Do you get the impression that they're focused on their services functionality more? Or that they were just cheap and should upgrade?

I saw it and thought hmmm it seems very cheap but I used it and didn't think too much more about it.

miked_d

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Dec 25, 2008
Los Angeles
Looks great to me but I tend to go for function over form.

I just want things to work right the first time.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
I agree with the main impression here if it is b2b it wont matter, your product working for their use will matter more. It looks like a standard web form to me, if you wanted to style that, it would just be some CSS. You could even may someone to style it real quick for you if you were that concerned about it. Its not something i would waste time on over getting an application or product out at this point though, unless it doesn't fit with the rest of the site, or you are selling some sort of end user web technology.

johnp

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Aug 29, 2011
Philly
SO, I am not a web developer... and am struggling with proper execution of my website. The target audience is businesses for account management and access into the provided service.

My philosophy on design thus far has been functional and professional. When I ran the setup by some friends, the feedback was strongly on the this looks weak side and had strong suggestions to make it visually more impressive. Animations, restyling with CSS, more images, etc.

Don't waste your time on the CSS/Visual end of things right now. If listen to your friends, then you are going to lose time. Then you will have to bill them for your time.

I think it's best to focus on functional then blow it out with CSS later. I think it looks good now

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
Don't waste your time on the CSS/Visual end of things right now. If listen to your friends, then you are going to lose time. Then you will have to bill them for your time.

I think it's best to focus on functional then blow it out with CSS later. I think it looks good now
Thanks for the validation. I was concerned about the first impression walk away factor, but I'm getting the impression that won't happen.

D

DeletedUser397

Just wanted to say this is precisely the focus of my fastlane contest project - web forms tools for non-developers (so perhaps I'll message you later when I'm looking for beta testers). In the meantime, you may want to try Wufoo · Online Form Builder!

JamesSJ

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Apr 25, 2012
Some things to consider

Form labels should be above the fields (eye can move down easier then across and back down)

You should put a note or tooltip next to each form field to help the user understand what is being asked or what the terminology is

Have you thought about validation?

Submit and cancel should be under the fields not over to the side

I'd visually make the terms and cancel different (cancel perhaps a grey link) as you are should be focussing on the submission

You should put a description of what happens next after submission

Is there stages to the form? If so what is next?

Should the user be able to save their progress?

No help? What if I get stuck?

Have you designed a progress tool whilst the page loads or does something?

I would use lighter great panels to separate out the fields from the terms and call to action

Take a look at 37 signals or base camp for some great form design

2KidsinUT

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Aug 2, 2012
Utah
For B2B, you naturally want to focus on functionality... after all, that's what your customers will be buying. Your sales or landing page is what will sell your product/service, NOT the UI for your web forms. Forms should be simple and easy to navigate. The user shouldn't be confused or distracted by a pretty interface. JMO

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
James --- Thank you for your reply! A lot of great questions that I hadn't even thought of. It was exactly the kind of input I needed.

Some things to consider

Form labels should be above the fields (eye can move down easier then across and back down)
I see that advice all over the place but I never see it actually being used. I also find the side to side approach easier.

You should put a note or tooltip next to each form field to help the user understand what is being asked or what the terminology is
Totally forgot about that! Will definitely need to add that.

Have you thought about validation?
Yup, wrote a Javascript class that can do any form validation for the site. If a field isn't sufficient, it returns false and throws up a red * next to the field and a note at the top to fix errors.

Submit and cancel should be under the fields not over to the side

I'd visually make the terms and cancel different (cancel perhaps a grey link) as you are should be focussing on the submission
Brilliant. Will definitely change and keep this in mind with future links.

You should put a description of what happens next after submission

Is there stages to the form? If so what is next?
There are stages but not immediate. Once an app is submitted, there are several other optional steps they can take. I think a couple description info divs next to the form on the right would do wonders. Would you suggest I display that same info on the following page? And should that following page be a confirmation of success page or can it go straight to the console?

Should the user be able to save their progress?
Each form will be separate without stages, so I won't be implementing this feature.

No help? What if I get stuck?
Sounds like a great link / feature I can add to the right side of the form with the info description divs.

Have you designed a progress tool whilst the page loads or does something?
I haven't and wasn't planning on doing it. I was trying to decide whether to pass in post flags to my php scripts as to whether to render the full page or if the call was an AJAX call just for the pages content. For ease-ability on my part, I'm just rendering full pages. Once a submit button is clicked, I think I could at least update the page with some info that the request is being sent and processed so the user doesn't think the window got stuck.

I would use lighter great panels to separate out the fields from the terms and call to action
Good idea. I originally had the Submit div separated with the same color as the form, but when I integrated it in it blended in. I think I'll make that one lighter and highlight the terms of service or something.

Take a look at 37 signals or base camp for some great form design
Definitely will check that out! Thanks!

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
Just wanted to say this is precisely the focus of my fastlane contest project - web forms tools for non-developers (so perhaps I'll message you later when I'm looking for beta testers). In the meantime, you may want to try Wufoo · Online Form Builder!

Wow! Your site looks great! Congrats on getting it up. I see your forms have the vertical representation James was talking about.

I'm a developer to the core, but in the list of 20+ languages I know... HTML and CSS are sadly at the bottom.:( My PHP and Javascript skills are awesome but they're meaning nothing right now without the front end haha.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Just wanted to say I wish more forms looked like yours, and less like these.

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
Just wanted to say I wish more forms looked like yours, and less like these.
Hahaha that was classic! I hit the next link for this too:
8 Websites You Need to Stop Building - The Oatmeal

#8 is the mentality I was thinking of why NOT to use fancy css. If it's too glossy and fancy, it looks like a stock template site. Stock template sites to me are like using flaming text on your site or hosting it with Angelfire, it just doesn't scream "I know what I'm doing" to me.

ps. Imma update this and see if I can get my brother to host some forms for more feedback soon.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
I don't think you are implying you are the owner of wufoo, are you?

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA

Milkanic

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Apr 17, 2012
Madison, WI
Ya, I'm not really looking to have my content control in the hands of anyone else. It just seems like a bit of a security violation, as well as a lot of the templates are tell-tale "this was pre-made."

Bootstrap isn't a cms - the content is all your hands. It's simply a css framework to build upon.

Foundation is another one - Foundation: The Most Advanced Responsive Front-end Framework from ZURB

http://foundation.zurb.com/docs/forms.php

Your forms currently look very 1990's-ish

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
Bootstrap isn't a cms - the content is all your hands. It's simply a css framework to build upon.

Foundation is another one - Foundation: The Most Advanced Responsive Front-end Framework from ZURB

Foundation Documentation: Forms
I totally read the Twitter site wrong. I thought it was like a content management system that sent the information from the server to the client. Gotcha now.

Your forms currently look very 1990's-ish
This is the feedback I was receiving that made me start the thread...

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
Just bought a web template for the main pitch site. I honestly needed some help... haha and templates are so cheap! Found exactly what I was looking for. Sleak, clean, professional, and focused on the content while looking good.

I'll still be using the site I've been developing for the console, but I'll definitely be searching for some css makeovers and a legit css menu not hacked together by myself haha.

FearAverage

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jul 22, 2012
The Netherlands
I disagree with some of the posts here.
Nobody I know enjoys filling in forms, so if you can make yours look more attractive and easier to use, more people are likely to fill it in.

Just my 2 cents.:rolleyes:
Good luck!

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
I disagree with some of the posts here.
Nobody I know enjoys filling in forms, so if you can make yours look more attractive and easier to use, more people are likely to fill it in.

Just my 2 cents.:rolleyes:
Good luck!
The forms aren't for signing up, the form's are for registering their content into the service to start making $$$.

What does everyone think about stock images? I've been looking at getting some of them for the pitch site, but don't want to come off as cheese.

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
Update --- Wanted to thank everyone with the recommendations for Twitter Bootstrap. Using their 6 little files really has done a lot for my landing site and admin panel. Much appreciated.:thumbsup:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.