The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

I need your opinion on an Idea

amxr

New Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Sep 5, 2018
So, as I stated earlier I study medical school in Greece.
There is a course, neuroanatomy, which is pretty tough. Each year students struggle with it and spent days studying. So I was thinking, why not help them learn it while sitting in front of their PCs, answering some questions and using some 3D images? What if you could just sit in front of a screen, for 1/3 - 1/4 or even 1/5 of the time it took you to study and be ready to go and sit for exams? And only pay like 10$ for a 6-month subscription to the software?
At first I thought it's a really nice plan!

Well, my only problem however is... Scale..
There are probably 400 students each year taking the course in my town.. Around 1800 in whole Greece.
But then I thought I could some day add 1-2 more courses, or even better, translate it in English and be able to sell it to every potential English-speaking medical student all over the globe. I'm not sure how or whether you can reach to an audience you don't currently communicate with, but I think it may be worth a shot. (In US there are aprrox. 20.000 graduates each year, and aprrox. 100.000 in EU)

What are your opinions? Making some money right now is better than doing nothing/earning nothing at all.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Merging Left

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 20, 2014
It sounds like your idea is to create a course to help people pass specific medical school classes. Even though the subject is the same, neuroanatomy, isn't each course going to use a different book, a different schedule, and emphasize slightly different aspects?

Further, what makes you think you can teach the same concept in 20% of the time? I'm not sure if I want that person as my doctor...

jpanarra

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jan 9, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
No I don't, but I'll learn how to
Don't, Its not worth it. It'll take years if you're studying med at the same time before you'll be able to write a program like the one you're thinking.

You said you're at uni, usually universties have entrepreneurial centers. I would suggest you head out there and explain about what you're thinking about and see if you can have people consult you for free.

OP
OP
amxr

amxr

New Contributor
Sep 5, 2018
It sounds like your idea is to create a course to help people pass specific medical school classes. Even though the subject is the same, neuroanatomy, isn't each course going to use a different book, a different schedule, and emphasize slightly different aspects?

Further, what makes you think you can teach the same concept in 20% of the time? I'm not sure if I want that person as my doctor...
Because in neuroanatomy you just have to learn/memorize the location, neurons and functions of various parts of the Nervous System. It's like learning to describe a 3D structure.
It will be far more effective to answer questions, choose or draw the correct images than study the whole book.

Hmm, yes, each uni will have a different approach.. Maybe someone could mark some parts of it as irrelevant? I don't know about that..

OP
OP
amxr

amxr

New Contributor
Sep 5, 2018
Don't, Its not worth it. It'll take years if you're studying med at the same time before you'll be able to write a program like the one you're thinking.

You said you're at uni, usually universties have entrepreneurial centers. I would suggest you head out there and explain about what you're thinking about and see if you can have people consult you for free.
Yeah, thanks for the info man, appreciate it!

Knugs

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Jan 10, 2016
You cant scale it. Every Medical school is different and the curriculum/ exam Qs etc are different. You want to check out what Amboss did in Germany. Totally dominating the market with a much broader application.

What passmed has done in the UK

Also check out Passtest

OP
OP
amxr

amxr

New Contributor
Sep 5, 2018
You cant scale it. Every Medical school is different and the curriculum/ exam Qs etc are different. You want to check out what Amboss did in Germany. Totally dominating the market with a much broader application.

What passmed has done in the UK

Also check out Passtest
Oh I see. Thanks for your input, you are probably right :)

George Appiah

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Aug 16, 2018
Accra, Ghana
Do you even have any idea or cost how to make the software you're thinking of? Just curious?
No I don't, but I'll learn how to

The technology is the easy part. There are numerous online course building platforms and even desktop-based coursewares out there... some even totally free. You don't have to learn to code or even hire someone to build a custom software just to create and sell courses (online or offline).

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Abood

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Oct 19, 2018
Do you plan to have a video lecture series where you will teach in a white board or ppt?

There is a course, neuroanatomy, which is pretty tough. Each year students struggle with it and spent days studying. So I was thinking, why not help them learn it while sitting in front of their PCs, answering some questions and using some 3D images? What if you could just sit in front of a screen, for 1/3 - 1/4 or even 1/5 of the time it took you to study and be ready to go and sit for exams? And only pay like 10$ for a 6-month subscription to the software?

There are probably 400 students each year taking the course in my town.. Around 1800 in whole Greece.
But then I thought I could some day add 1-2 more courses, or even better, translate it in English and be able to sell it to every potential English-speaking medical student all over the globe. I'm not sure how or whether you can reach to an audience you don't currently communicate with, but I think it may be worth a shot. (In US there are aprrox. 20.000 graduates each year, and aprrox. 100.000 in EU)

What are your opinions? Making some money right now is better than doing nothing/earning nothing at all.

Abood

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Oct 19, 2018
Do you plan to have a video lecture series where you will teach in a white board or ppt?

Chris25

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Aug 29, 2018
Europe
I will give you a few things to think about. I bielive that prepearing that course will take a long time. But that is OK.
  • It's something you're working on anyways as a medical student.
  • The interest in this topic is growing and I bielive it will grow even more in the future.
  • It will be awesome for your career down the road. Maybe you won't profit millions (Given the limited consumer base) but it will help you in your medical journey.
  • There are people even outside of the medical world that can be interested.
You can do some reaserch and adjust your project according to the major text books used about this course. I bet there are just a few books that are widely used, and they all cover the same topics more or less. Your project can't be an exact copy of one text book/course due to copyright issues anyways. Maybe think of it as a helping hand when it comes to styding the subject.

And one last thing, release it in time for the start of the next study year and it will be easy to promote and spread the word, at your faculty, and worldwide (online).

DVU

In Progress
Speedway Pass
Sep 24, 2016
Croatia
Record the videos that explain stuff.

Get everyone in a Facebook group and hold live events each week answering questions.

Problem solved. Now go make some money.

Marc RV

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Oct 12, 2018
  • It will be awesome for your career down the road. Maybe you won't profit millions (Given the limited consumer base) but it will help you in your medical journey.
I am with Chris on this. As a student, you have to give this a try if you think you can create something that can be relevant for a long enough time or be easily kept relevant. (I am not an expert in the medical field so you have to judge that for yourself.)

Best of luck.

OP
OP
amxr

amxr

New Contributor
Sep 5, 2018
The technology is the easy part. There are numerous online course building platforms and even desktop-based coursewares out there... some even totally free. You don't have to learn to code or even hire someone to build a custom software just to create and sell courses (online or offline).
Oh didn't know that. If so, It will be far easier than I expected!

No, not at all. More like Software with questions+pictures to learn faster.

I will give you a few things to think about. I bielive that prepearing that course will take a long time. But that is OK.
  • It's something you're working on anyways as a medical student.
  • The interest in this topic is growing and I bielive it will grow even more in the future.
  • There are people even outside of the medical world that can be interested.
You can do some reaserch and adjust your project according to the major text books used about this course. I bet there are just a few books that are widely used, and they all cover the same topics more or less. Your project can't be an exact copy of one text book/course due to copyright issues anyways. Maybe think of it as a helping hand when it comes to styding the subject.

And one last thing, release it in time for the start of the next study year and it will be easy to promote and spread the word, at your faculty, and worldwide (online).
I am with Chris on this. As a student, you have to give this a try if you think you can create something that can be relevant for a long enough time or be easily kept relevant. (I am not an expert in the medical field so you have to judge that for yourself.)

Best of luck.
Thank you guys, your input really changed my perspective on this :)

Sheens

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jan 13, 2018
USA
Your focus on quality and interactive applications could help many students learn and then actually retain material. Absolutely check out the competition and adapt as needed!

Years ago in dental school, we had a few courses and labs taken directly with the medical students. Consider any relatable curricula in health to expand the market. Thanks for keeping us posted on your thought process!

Abood

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Oct 19, 2018
Would you consider making a flash card deck with images like firecracker/ USMLERx for USMLE exam?

Oh didn't know that. If so, It will be far easier than I expected!

No, not at all. More like Software with questions+pictures to learn faster.

Thank you guys, your input really changed my perspective on this :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Sponsored Offers

Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
-- HALLOWEEN SPECIAL STARTS TODAY! Get any of my courses at Udemy's current best price through Friday! Use code: HALLOWEEN Use any of the links...
Top Bottom