The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Way to Unscription and Gratitude - a paradox?

Anything related to matters of the mind

jts

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 16, 2018
Berlin
Hi everyone,

After six months of daily meditation and after engaging many hours with @MJ DeMarco 's philosophy of Unscription, I wonder how striving for Unscription can be aligned with striving for Gratitude. Or in other words, is the feeling that "life sucks" (a mental, almost physcial pain) a prerequisite for Unscription? And if so, doesn't this effectively rule out the feeling of gratitude?
I edited this post a few times before posting it. A possible answer to the question could be that gratitude might be produced by striving to become unscripted . While the F*ck-this event made us change our direction in life, we can feel grateful for having encountered a more meaningful way of life. Yet, gratitude as such might hinder real progress because we might become satisfied with our current state which is counterproductive to real progress.
What do you think?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

milesky

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Mar 11, 2018
Poland
You have to love the process. Work on your discipline (doing the stuff that got to be done despite feeling like you do not want to). With time the threshold increases and you learn more and more. FTE isn't there only to change your direction in life. It's also here to let you remember your goals and why it is worth the hustle. Sometimes you have to "survive" without any motivation for several months. There are habits that let you feel the gratitude for little things is your life (Meditation, writing down things you are grateful for at the end of the day). What is more, remember the cycle in which customer's feedback lets you feel motivated to work and bring value to the world. Gratitude is something you can work on. Being entrepreneur should (as you mentioned) make you feel the gratitude as well.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I wonder how striving for Unscription can be aligned with striving for Gratitude. Or in other words, is the feeling that "life sucks" (a mental, almost physcial pain) a prerequisite for Unscription? And if so, doesn't this effectively rule out the feeling of gratitude?

Doesn't necessarily need to mean "life sucks". It could be someone who is enlightened and doesn't want to be a zombie.

There are a lot of young people on this forum who I envy because I wish I had their level of awareness at their age.

Accepting the "now" (and your process, wherever it may be ... struggling or successful) is a form of gratitude because it's all there ever is. There is no past, no future, just now.

Everything else not NOW oriented is a thought pattern focused on a time other than the now.

Gratitude is a NOW attitude.

And so is Unscription. And just like I say around here, "Fastlane" is an attitude which is a NOW based thought pattern.

The EL Maven

No longer life's passenger
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Dec 3, 2015
I don't see the conflict here. Everyday I write out things I'm grateful for or particularly proud of, then I also write out my goals. Being grateful is a healthy mind state that is different than being complacent.
Quit thinking about it and start doing it. You'll see, they don't conflict.

Pro-Tip: You can be grateful for progress you're making towards your goal.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
D

Deleted20833

The way I find gratitude is by telling myself "this could always be worse" and list how things could be worse (i could have cancer, be paralyzed, homeless, etc)

I apply the "heart" to solve emotional issues and I apply the brain to solve psychical issues

richstone.io

API and Automation Engineer Growing SaaS
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Jan 28, 2019
Barcelona
Don't mess with gratitude ;)
There is quite some psychological research on gratitude and how it positively affects the brain (e.g. removing fears). Everything that positively affects your brain longterm can only be helpful if your determination is strong.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.