The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

WARNING! RANT!

A post of a ranting nature...

makivelli

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jun 22, 2022
I've taken time out of job-searching, to come to the Fastlane Forum and VENT.

I'm a recent graduate. In my first year of university, that's exactly when I knew I messed up, BAD. This will be funny to some but please spare me, I was 18. Not to justify my decision, but just some context for your understanding. I chose to study a course called 'Business Management and Entrepreneurship'. *Facepalm*.

University is OBSOLETE. If you are young and considering it, avoid it. There are specific exceptions, which I won't go into here.

So to keep going, I've been searching for jobs while working a miserable part-time construction job filled with airheads fueled by unhealthy amounts of coffee, cigarettes and red bull. Yes, that's the worst part of the job. Not the heavy lifting, the sniffing up of dust or horrendous pay.

LinkedIn has shown me what I'm in for. LinkedIn is like the Matrix headquarters, filled with agents of the system. Everybody is so fake, you can tell. It's either that or they've been indoctrinated past the point of potential rescue. This is what a job post may look like (exaggerated version):

'She/Her/Him/Them/They'
Maggie Robbins (ACTA, GTA, BTA, LTA, QTA)

Looking for a promising role in *enter here* ?
Look no further!

Are you a motivated, dedicated individual?

Your job responsibilities will be:
Defeat Optimus Prime
(not exhaustive)

We will provide you with top-tier benefits for your mental wellbeing, as we will drain you to the point of suicide! Woo! It's because we care.

- 24hours annual leave
- Pension scheme (get rich!)
- Free lunch on Wednesdays!

Is this what awaits me? I'm 20 but I want life to end now. Are there other people that, not think like me, but THINK, period? I feel like an imposter to all of this, even though I've been a part of Western society all my life.

At my part-time job, during my 30min break, as I yam on my sandwich, I think to myself, that 1 whole hour of my time is worth £11. That's depressing. See it for what it is.

Yes, older folk, I know and I apologise in advance. i am complaining. Yes, I should go and change my life, I know. I'm here for it, I'm trying and I'll try harder. But when there's a powerful system put into place, one that has been implemented long before your birth. You feel hopeless. Hope is an illusion anyways, but hopelessness for lack of a better term.

Now, I will go and continue with my life. Maybe one day I could tell you lot that it all changed. My life changed. Mashallah. I've got boxing at 8pm, perfect for releasing all of this into the bag. Won't go back to job-searching for today.

Quick one. I've recently been rejected for a position, because a representative said 'I didn't answer the questions in enough detail'. That's cap. He didn't like me, maybe felt intimidated. The corporate world is all political too, and that's hard for me because I don't dabble in politics. I don't beg for money from the government.

Anyways, if you've read this far, thank you. If you're frustrated with what I wrote, I ask you to forgive me, I felt like this is the best place to let it go. Maybe others feel this too. Shoutout DeMarco for writing a book that resonated with me from the first page. Credit to him, so much value in his books, but I will say my mindset has been alike even before the book. I'm one of the chosen ones.

My time shall come.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Trait

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Jun 22, 2021
Bangladesh
There is nothing to be ashamed of a rant like this, we call this a FTE ( F*ck this event ). You shouldn't get too frustrated as you now have the knowledge to escape the rat race. And about University what is gone is gone, but see if you can extract some sort of value from what you got taught, business school can't be all worthless?

send.png

You are at the starting point of this graph, persevere and you will make it!

makivelli

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jun 22, 2022
There is nothing to be ashamed of a rant like this, we call this a FTE ( F*ck this event ). You shouldn't get too frustrated as you now have the knowledge to escape the rat race. And about University what is gone is gone, but see if you can extract some sort of value from what you got taught, business school can't be all worthless?

View attachment 44253

You are at the starting point of this graph, persevere and you will make it!
Appreciate it OG. Thank you.

I wish the best for you.

Trevor Kuntz

Professional Dog Owner
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Feb 5, 2012
Arizona

I'm a recent graduate. In my first year of university, that's exactly when I knew I messed up, BAD. This will be funny to some but please spare me, I was 18. Not to justify my decision, but just some context for your understanding. I chose to study a course called 'Business Management and Entrepreneurship'. *Facepalm*.

University is OBSOLETE. If you are young and considering it, avoid it. There are specific exceptions, which I won't go into here.

So to keep going, I've been searching for jobs while working a miserable part-time construction job filled with airheads fueled by unhealthy amounts of coffee, cigarettes and red bull. Yes, that's the worst part of the job. Not the heavy lifting, the sniffing up of dust or horrendous pay.

LinkedIn has shown me what I'm in for. LinkedIn is like the Matrix headquarters, filled with agents of the system. Everybody is so fake, you can tell. It's either that or they've been indoctrinated past the point of potential rescue. This is what a job post may look like (exaggerated version):

'She/Her/Him/Them/They'

Look no further!

Defeat Optimus Prime
(not exhaustive)

We will provide you with top-tier benefits for your mental wellbeing, as we will drain you to the point of suicide! Woo! It's because we care.

- 24hours annual leave

Is this what awaits me? I'm 20 but I want life to end now. Are there other people that, not think like me, but THINK, period? I feel like an imposter to all of this, even though I've been a part of Western society all my life.

At my part-time job, during my 30min break, as I yam on my sandwich, I think to myself, that 1 whole hour of my time is worth £11. That's depressing. See it for what it is.

Yes, older folk, I know and I apologise in advance. i am complaining. Yes, I should go and change my life, I know. I'm here for it, I'm trying and I'll try harder. But when there's a powerful system put into place, one that has been implemented long before your birth. You feel hopeless. Hope is an illusion anyways, but hopelessness for lack of a better term.

Now, I will go and continue with my life. Maybe one day I could tell you lot that it all changed. My life changed. Mashallah. I've got boxing at 8pm, perfect for releasing all of this into the bag. Won't go back to job-searching for today.

Quick one. I've recently been rejected for a position, because a representative said 'I didn't answer the questions in enough detail'. That's cap. He didn't like me, maybe felt intimidated. The corporate world is all political too, and that's hard for me because I don't dabble in politics. I don't beg for money from the government.

Anyways, if you've read this far, thank you. If you're frustrated with what I wrote, I ask you to forgive me, I felt like this is the best place to let it go. Maybe others feel this too. Shoutout DeMarco for writing a book that resonated with me from the first page. Credit to him, so much value in his books, but I will say my mindset has been alike even before the book. I'm one of the chosen ones.

My time shall come.
I'm going to focus on this part most:

"Is this what awaits me? I'm 20 but I want life to end now. Are there other people that, not think like me, but THINK, period? I feel like an imposter to all of this, even though I've been a part of Western society all my life."

I just turned 30 and at 20, I had a lot of the same angst you have. I had just dropped out of college and had only worked minimum wage jobs from age 17 to 19. I sympathize with you regarding the many idiot coworkers you have, as I remember many of my own from that time, especially those who were in their 30s and not qualified to even be supervisors of minimum wage employees. Now that I am 30, I actually look back fondly on my minimum wage jobs and my time in university because I've forgotten many of the negative aspects over time.

As a 30 year old, I'll just say that you don't really have to figure life out right away. Unless you have a business idea you want to try out now, my advice, assuming you are planning to get a job, would be to look for jobs where you can either learn a skill you think you might like or at least a job where you can meet coworkers and other people that might lead to future opportunities beyond that job.

Even if you had to work a minimum wage job, I feel it is a lot more valuable to a young person to work in something like construction, home improvement, logistics, entry-level coding, or a full service restaurant compared to working at, say, Starbucks, where the only main skills you would learn would be customer service, which is only so valuable and can be learned in many, many jobs.

Another thing I would say helps at any point in life is historical perspective. No matter how much you may think your life sucks, it could suck way more at various points in history. Since you mentioned being paid in £, I assume you are in the UK, so just imagine if you had been born 125 years earlier, at your age, you'd probably be in a trench in France, risking 30% chance of death and 90% chance of casualty for literally the equivalent of £11.50 (in 2021 GBP) PER DAY.

At 20, you have a lot of life ahead of you and now is the time to be exploring lots of interests and opportunities and seeing what sticks, just try to avoid negative lifestyles and people who will slow or reverse your progress.

For 10 years, I've structured my life in 6 month phases and every 6 months, I decide what I want to work on (businesses, hobbies, projects, etc) for the next 6 months. It's long enough to get stuff done and flexible enough to change directions frequently.

makivelli

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jun 22, 2022

"Is this what awaits me? I'm 20 but I want life to end now. Are there other people that, not think like me, but THINK, period? I feel like an imposter to all of this, even though I've been a part of Western society all my life."

I just turned 30 and at 20, I had a lot of the same angst you have. I had just dropped out of college and had only worked minimum wage jobs from age 17 to 19. I sympathize with you regarding the many idiot coworkers you have, as I remember many of my own from that time, especially those who were in their 30s and not qualified to even be supervisors of minimum wage employees. Now that I am 30, I actually look back fondly on my minimum wage jobs and my time in university because I've forgotten many of the negative aspects over time.

As a 30 year old, I'll just say that you don't really have to figure life out right away. Unless you have a business idea you want to try out now, my advice, assuming you are planning to get a job, would be to look for jobs where you can either learn a skill you think you might like or at least a job where you can meet coworkers and other people that might lead to future opportunities beyond that job.

Even if you had to work a minimum wage job, I feel it is a lot more valuable to a young person to work in something like construction, home improvement, logistics, entry-level coding, or a full service restaurant compared to working at, say, Starbucks, where the only main skills you would learn would be customer service, which is only so valuable and can be learned in many, many jobs.

Another thing I would say helps at any point in life is historical perspective. No matter how much you may think your life sucks, it could suck way more at various points in history. Since you mentioned being paid in £, I assume you are in the UK, so just imagine if you had been born 125 years earlier, at your age, you'd probably be in a trench in France, risking 30% chance of death and 90% chance of casualty for literally the equivalent of £11.50 (in 2021 GBP) PER DAY.

At 20, you have a lot of life ahead of you and now is the time to be exploring lots of interests and opportunities and seeing what sticks, just try to avoid negative lifestyles and people who will slow or reverse your progress.

For 10 years, I've structured my life in 6 month phases and every 6 months, I decide what I want to work on (businesses, hobbies, projects, etc) for the next 6 months. It's long enough to get stuff done and flexible enough to change directions frequently.
This response!

I hear you and I'm listening and I get you. This is why I mentioned that those ahead of me may feel frustrated after reading this (not that you are) because my youth is enviable.

I think I know what I'm going to try to do, and see if it works. It's not business-related, it's passion-related. I've played basketball all my life, and I've still got it as I still play twice a week. But I need a month and a half and I'm back in my element.

I've asked my old coach for the footage from the previous season (half of it, as I 'quit' halfway) and try to put myself out there to agents. It might work. As I'm young, I'd like to explore this path and see if it's for me. But I love the game.

The reason I left it initially is that I got put in a chokehold by money. I saw others working and making some money (which I now see is actually spare change) and having a good time. While all my hours had seemed to go in vain.

Anyways, I'll give this a try.

makivelli

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jun 22, 2022

I will ask you a personal question.

Do you count yourself 'successful' now? A subjective term, I know, but what do YOU think?

I'm asking because I want to see if this 'angst' you felt at my age got you anywhere. Did it fuel prosperity? I'm a firm believer that we can change our lives once we're pissed off enough about our current one.

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
How much is the average property being sold in whatever development you are working at and multiply it by the number of houses.

£millions and millions right? Even for a small development. All filtering down through the levels.

UK target is 300,000 new homes a year at an average of £250,000 = £75 billion a year.

And it's not being met due to numerous PROBLEMS.

Then you have massive UK construction engineering companies involved in some of the largest projects in the world.

I would suggest you look at things around you at work with a different head on. Subscribe to an Industry magazine and you will see all sorts of problems and new solutions mentioned.

Dan

makivelli

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jun 22, 2022
How much is the average property being sold in whatever development you are working at and multiply it by the number of houses.

£millions and millions right? Even for a small development. All filtering down through the levels.

UK target is 300,000 new homes a year at an average of £250,000 = £75 billion a year.

And it's not being met due to numerous PROBLEMS.

Then you have massive UK construction engineering companies involved in some of the largest projects in the world.

I would suggest you look at things around you at work with a different head on. Subscribe to an Industry magazine and you will see all sorts of problems and new solutions mentioned.

Dan
This is part-time for a reason.

The construction industry is dull to me and doesn't intrigue me the slightest.

But I hear what you're saying. Play with the cards you're dealt.

DougRMR

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Apr 19, 2019

'She/Her/Him/Them/They'

Look no further!

Defeat Optimus Prime
(not exhaustive)

- 24hours annual leave

My time shall come.
I don't have a huge success story, only that I was able to gain some money designing websites as a freelancer. I wouldn't have been able to had it not been for this forum.

However, as a 26 yo I'll give you only one piece of advice. START NOW. Anything. The workplace has gotten worse since I was 20, if anything. Abysmal pay, stupid amounts of workload, no fresh air... I'm not telling you this to discourage you but to help you wake up that, yes, the workplace IS as bad as it seems (with certain exceptions, obviously). It will not get better, if anything, it'll get worse.

The way I see it, you got 2 choices. Either choose a passion project to work on or go fastlane. If you choose fastlane, then when I get the chance, I'll link you a thread that I wish I had seen years ago when I got into this forum. It's sort of an idea generation thread and it will bulldoze what was a humongous excuse for me for many years: "I don't have any fastlane ideas."

There is no excuse other than lack of capital. If you lack capital, you might have to sweat it out a bit more wagecucking (like I am right now). However, once you gain a little bit of $$, invest it into fastlane ventures.

makivelli

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jun 22, 2022
I don't have a huge success story, only that I was able to gain some money designing websites as a freelancer. I wouldn't have been able to had it not been for this forum.

However, as a 26 yo I'll give you only one piece of advice. START NOW. Anything. The workplace has gotten worse since I was 20, if anything. Abysmal pay, stupid amounts of workload, no fresh air... I'm not telling you this to discourage you but to help you wake up that, yes, the workplace IS as bad as it seems (with certain exceptions, obviously). It will not get better, if anything, it'll get worse.

The way I see it, you got 2 choices. Either choose a passion project to work on or go fastlane. If you choose fastlane, then when I get the chance, I'll link you a thread that I wish I had seen years ago when I got into this forum. It's sort of an idea generation thread and it will bulldoze what was a humongous excuse for me for many years: "I don't have any fastlane ideas."

There is no excuse other than lack of capital. If you lack capital, you might have to sweat it out a bit more wagecucking (like I am right now). However, once you gain a little bit of $$, invest it into fastlane ventures.
I feel you.

I see it too. Dark times are ahead. That's just the workplace, let's consider outside of it too. We don't have medical rights anymore. Gotta take a jab here, a jab there - and boosters on top, against your will.

I'm not hungry to be rich for the money, I'm hungry to be rich for the freedom. I got vision, and that vision isn't sitting opposite a computer or breaking my back for other men (no homo).

Grind it out. As long as you got direction, I think you're good. All the sweat is proof of work, like DeMarco said. Embrace it even.

Keep in touch man.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Life is what you make of it. If you are not happy now, you will not be happy as you get more.

I'm 64 and have really enjoyed my journey so far.

As an employer, I like to hire energetic and enthusiastic people. People that are happy and hungry.

I have 36 employees. It is easy to spot the ones that will go somewhere. Crystal clear after a few months.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
@makivelli see if this helps
View: https://youtu.be/WbXB0rzZy0s

don't follow the script. GO GET YOUR OPPORTUNITY
and DO bitch. the hand being dealt to those under 30 right now is complete bullshit.
guess what? it is going to make you stronger! go crush it.

xxx22

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Apr 28, 2022

'She/Her/Him/Them/They'

Look no further!

Defeat Optimus Prime
(not exhaustive)

- 24hours annual leave

My time shall come.
Universities are far from obsolete, you need doctors, nurses, teachers etc. universities provide that essential education, also I like the paragraph in Unscripted - i.e. before you become an entrepreneur - get a job, it's really hard to provide anything of value or inspire any trust in you without any exposure, life experience. Also you're working in construction, figure out a problem within the industry, solve it and go with it. Your job might be miserable but don't underestimate the potential here.

I hate fake people on LinkedIn too :) you also get executives lying to their own staff at monthly townhall meetings, seen this time and again as an accountant where we see beyond the BS

Last edited:

fastlane_dad

8 Figure Fastlane Graduate
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
636%
Jun 20, 2017
Scottsdale, AZ
Many of similar resounding thoughts and post on here lately

Yes - the current (and past) workplace, especially a corporate one leaves much to be desired. Through life I have definitely seen the type of individual and personality who excels in that environment, even potentially NEEDS it to not only structure their day, but structure their life. Be told what to do, something to follow etc. I have hired several of those personalities as well - and they do GREAT at doing the job they are told, and can outwork me in that regard each and every single day.

Me on the other hand, and countless others on here decide to make their own path, and follow unconventional thinking and acting.

As long as you are dissatisfied - and addressing the issues (taking action) - your time will come. It's not overnight, and it took me battling same questions you had from ages of 18-25 until something finally clicked. It took me ANOTHER 15 years after that to build something to eventually sell it ( My Fastlane Journey ).

A well paying college degree served me well for a few years - it gave me the freedom (mental and financial) - to focus on my fastlane pursuits without feeling strapped or in dire needs to 'make something happen'. Yes - the correct course of action , learning a high paying skill or becoming valuable through education - is part of my advice to anyone starting out and is lost on which way to go.

But simultaneously I don't and have never envied anyone getting in or climbing the corporate rig for any organization. For me it was a means to an end for a while.

So make a plan, figure out how to lower expenses while building up valuable skills. Re-read MJs books and hopefully you will also soon be on your way to a much much better 'unscripted ' living.

makivelli

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jun 22, 2022
Universities are far from obsolete, you need doctors, nurses, teachers etc. universities provide that essential education, also I like the paragraph in Unscripted - i.e. before you become an entrepreneur - get a job, it's really hard to provide anything of value or inspire any trust in you without any exposure, life experience. Also you're working in construction, figure out a problem within the industry, solve it and go with it. Your job might be miserable but don't underestimate the potential here.

I hate fake people on LinkedIn too :) you also get executives lying to their own staff at monthly townhall meetings, seen this time and again as an accountant where we see beyond the BS
My degree is in accounting. Did I need university to become an accountant? Nah. This is contentious, but I'm sticking by my word, universities are obsolete.

Way back when, they were necessary. No internet, no exposure to professionals, no access to literature. Now it's all in our palms. An apprenticeship may have been a better way to progress into that career.

We do agree on LinkedIn. Those people act like they don't shit.

makivelli

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jun 22, 2022
Many of similar resounding thoughts and post on here lately

Yes - the current (and past) workplace, especially a corporate one leaves much to be desired. Through life I have definitely seen the type of individual and personality who excels in that environment, even potentially NEEDS it to not only structure their day, but structure their life. Be told what to do, something to follow etc. I have hired several of those personalities as well - and they do GREAT at doing the job they are told, and can outwork me in that regard each and every single day.

Me on the other hand, and countless others on here decide to make their own path, and follow unconventional thinking and acting.

As long as you are dissatisfied - and addressing the issues (taking action) - your time will come. It's not overnight, and it took me battling same questions you had from ages of 18-25 until something finally clicked. It took me ANOTHER 15 years after that to build something to eventually sell it ( My Fastlane Journey ).

A well paying college degree served me well for a few years - it gave me the freedom (mental and financial) - to focus on my fastlane pursuits without feeling strapped or in dire needs to 'make something happen'. Yes - the correct course of action , learning a high paying skill or becoming valuable through education - is part of my advice to anyone starting out and is lost on which way to go.

But simultaneously I don't and have never envied anyone getting in or climbing the corporate rig for any organization. For me it was a means to an end for a while.

So make a plan, figure out how to lower expenses while building up valuable skills. Re-read MJs books and hopefully you will also soon be on your way to a much much better 'unscripted ' living.
Dissatisfaction is my biggest blessing. Some will understand.

xxx22

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Apr 28, 2022
My degree is in accounting. Did I need university to become an accountant? Nah. This is contentious, but I'm sticking by my word, universities are obsolete.

Way back when, they were necessary. No internet, no exposure to professionals, no access to literature. Now it's all in our palms. An apprenticeship may have been a better way to progress into that career.

We do agree on LinkedIn. Those people
Agreed on the accounting degree, I have a law degree and I'm an accountant, try doing this the other way round. Also I'm European so university was always an important space of free thinking- e.g. universities were seen as dangerous places by communists in Eastern Europe as they were breeding grounds for free thinking, new ideas, opposition.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Dissatisfaction is my biggest blessing. Some will understand.
You must operate on the assumption that one must be dissatisfied to progress. That works for some, but many others are driven by other reasons.

I was quite happy in a job where I was advancing rapidly and at the time had great job security. There came a time when I decided to venture out on my own. Not because of dissatisfaction, but the desire for a new frontier and more money.

I can relate to where you are at right now. I personally worked for many years at or a little above minimum wage. Mostly construction related, landscaper, plumber, mechanic, janitorial, etc... These are learning opportunities.

I would not have gotten as far in my business without those skills.

Last edited:

TCMorgan

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
526%
Feb 19, 2016

'She/Her/Him/Them/They'

Look no further!

Defeat Optimus Prime
(not exhaustive)

- 24hours annual leave

My time shall c

Ok... You've recognized there's a problem (or several) with the systems you exist within. You have two options: change the systems or leave the systems. You should be ruthlessly dedicated to doing one of those two things, and the faster, more realistic option is leaving those systems behind. While you're working to do those, you have to accept that you'll be subjected to playing within the rules of the systems you're trying to leave.

To answer a major question you posed: No. The bullshit you see in the system doesn't have to be what awaits you. You CAN get out. Radical accountability and consistent action will get you there.

I had a similar experience to you. 28 now. At 19, I left college because I started in the medical field and realized I hated the work. Coworkers are morons. Managers are on powertrips. Every single move I made after that was either made with the intention of gaining experience, gaining ground on my goals to leave the employment system, or making a sought-after connection.

If you change jobs, make sure you're getting something out of it, especially if you're going to live by this "college is obsolete" mantra. College might be obsolete, but the right piece of paper is a cheat code if you don't plan to leave the employment system (ie own your own income streams). I knew I was never going back to college, so I was very calculated with my job work and job changes.

Started at a pizza shop. Asked if I could help get the word out about the shop. Cut my teeth on marketing there. Left to go to a distributor of candle and soap supplies, and the only reason I took the job was I learned they didn't have much of a marketing department. Another opportunity. Got in and worked warehouse, pestered the office coworkers enough to learn the white-collar side, again - asked if I could help with marketing. Ended up running social media accounts. Common request from customers was if we had an app, so I took a course and took a stab at building an app. That app has 10k downloads, 5 star reviews to this day.

Left the in-house world when a marketing agency opportunity presented itself. Left that agency for another agency. Started my own agency from there.

With each of those transitions, I only left when it would benefit me long-term, and if it wouldn't or if I was frustrated with my current role, I sucked it up and carried on.

My reason for sharing all of this is that I empathize with your position of wanting out of your job, dealing with dumbass coworkers, and knowing there has to be more. If you want out, go after it ruthlessly. And be patient. You're young af. You could F*ck everything up for the next 10 years and still be young af.

And now for some tough love, because I wish someone was there to give me this at one point...

What are you getting out of your current experiences? Control is not about affecting what happens to you, but rather how you react to it.

LinkedIn is trash because everyone's fake? Ask yourself if you're running in the right circles or communicating with the right people.

Job postings are trash because everyone's "indoctrinated?" Ask yourself if there's somewhere else, or something else, you could be looking or doing to find jobs. Contact employers directly. Consider jobs in industries outside of your current interest. Consider blue-collar small businesses where people aren't as "indoctrinated."

Someone rejected you because you didn't answer in enough detail? Was it actually cap? Or are you telling yourself a story to cope. You got rejected because you weren't a good fit. Regardless of WHY you weren't a good fit, what can you learn from that experience? Maybe you could've read the person better. Maybe you didn't fit with the company values. Maybe you just genuinely didn't give enough info in your answers.

Corporate life is too political, and you'll struggle because you don't dabble in politics? This one's the toughest love of all. The entire world is political. It's all politics. Start dabbling now or you won't know what's crushing you until you're at the bottom of the pile. Get political or get left behind.

Sorry if the last bit was harsh. It comes from a place of empathy. I see a lot of myself in your post, and these are things I wish I would've heard. I'm 28 now, and I'll retire by the time I'm 35. It's possible.

You got this, if you want it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.