The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Vote Now, Next Book Discussion August

Which Book for Next Book Discussion

• The Go Giver, Bob Burgg

Votes: 4 4.9%
  • The Obstacle is the Way, Ryan Holiday

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • Thinking Fast and Slow, D. Kahneman

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • The Righteous Mind, Jonathan Haidt

Votes: 8 9.9%
  • The Untethered Soul, Singer

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • The Chimp Paradox, Peters

Votes: 7 8.6%
  • Start With Why, Simon Sinek

Votes: 16 19.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
I say Audible since it's read by the author, and they're usually better able to convey emotion and subtleties. But maybe you want to check out samples of both versions on Amazon?

Btw, lmfao @ the sample.

That sample was too good! I have to get it on audio now. I'm going to be driving down the highway just laughing my a$$ off

Andy Bell

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Feb 10, 2019
Zihuantanejo
Was recommended these by some friends and havent gotten around to them yet...

End of Jobs - Taylor Pearson
Profit First - Mike Michalowicz
Deep Work - Cal Newport
The Goal - Eliyahu M. Goldratt

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

JamesQB8

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Mar 20, 2019
No BS Ruthless Management - Dan Kennedy

One of the best books on Business I have ever read. On my second read with a ton of notes

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
I think everyone should read this. It's just one of those 'required reading' books.

Major New York Times bestseller
Winner of the National Academy of Sciences Best Book Award in 2012
Selected by the New York Times Book Review as one of the ten best books of 2011
A Globe and Mail Best Books of the Year 2011 Title
One of The Economist's 2011 Books of the Year
One of The Wall Street Journal's Best Nonfiction Books of the Year 2011
2013 Presidential Medal of Freedom Recipient
Kahneman's work with Amos Tversky is the subject of Michael Lewis's The Undoing Project: A Friendship That Changed Our Minds

In the international bestseller, Thinking, Fast and Slow, Daniel Kahneman, the renowned psychologist and winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics, takes us on a groundbreaking tour of the mind and explains the two systems that drive the way we think. System 1 is fast, intuitive, and emotional; System 2 is slower, more deliberative, and more logical. The impact of overconfidence on corporate strategies, the difficulties of predicting what will make us happy in the future, the profound effect of cognitive biases on everything from playing the stock market to planning our next vacation—each of these can be understood only by knowing how the two systems shape our judgments and decisions.

Engaging the reader in a lively conversation about how we think, Kahneman reveals where we can and cannot trust our intuitions and how we can tap into the benefits of slow thinking. He offers practical and enlightening insights into how choices are made in both our business and our personal lives—and how we can use different techniques to guard against the mental glitches that often get us into trouble. Winner of the National Academy of Sciences Best Book Award and the Los Angeles Times Book Prize and selected by The New York Times Book Review as one of the ten best books of 2011, Thinking, Fast and Slow is destined to be a classic.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016

Whiterose

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
367%
Mar 21, 2019
Hello everyone, I hope you're all having a nice day :)

I'm sure many of you have watched or at least heard about the guy named Patrick Bet-David. If you haven't, please spend 2 minutes of your time and watch this video to get a little bit familiar with him and his work:

The reason I'm asking you to do it is because he is the author of the book I want to nominate, and I think it's always nice to know a little bit about the author of the book you're going to spend your time (most valuable asset) reading.

The title of the book is: Doing the Impossible: The 25 Laws for Doing the Impossible

The book is easy to read, concisely written. Clarifies many important things: the power of your associations, your credibility, work ethics, dealing with critics, to name a few.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja

SIDI

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Jul 5, 2018
A slightly selfish suggestion as I just started reading this last night, but I purchased this on the back of MJ's recommendation in another thread...

What Rich People Know and Desperately Want to Keep Secret

I haven't yet read this, so have nothing to really back up the suggestion other than MJ's nod. Perhaps that is enough. I'm intrigued as the reviews on Amazon are not great.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

alord

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Jun 8, 2019
Recently I read these two fantastic books.

- "The Miracle Equation" by Had Elrod. I've seen @MJ DeMarco recommending his great Miracle Morning (thanks again for the advice, I loved it since I started practicing it!) In this book he goes in-depth on goal setting with some inspirational stories from his pasts: growing his business, reaching sales records, overcoming cancer and an almost fatal car accident. Truly inspiring, gave me a rush of positive energy and lots of practical advice I've implemented

- "10 Pillars of Wealth" by Alex Becker. The author has a controversial reputation, and I thought he was a bro-marketer until I randomly downloaded the sample of this book on my kindle. I kept reading and reading. Wow! The advice a truly outstanding and no BS, I gotta say it, it was almost as good as TMF as a business/wealth book. Most importantly, the guy walks his talks I've personally used one of his past companies

CEOMike

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
May 27, 2018
Bismarck, ND
The ONE Thing: The Surprisingly Simple Truth Behind Extraordinary Results by Gary Keller

Awesome book (and a quick read at only 133 pages) that helps you maximize results in different areas of your life like: wealth, health, work, etc. by figuring out the ONE key thing in each area to focus on.

I've read it a few times, and still learn from it!

Mckenzie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Aug 25, 2013
I nominate:
Part Five: A New Dawn....Never work Again of MJ's book: "Unscripted: Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Entrepreneurship." There're a few discussions on this part of the book already on this forum; but I think it's really helpful if we can discuss just this "New Dawn..." thing in one thread for both beginners & advanced investors helping each other out.

My 2nd nomination is this book:
"The Option Traders Hedge Fund: A business Framework for Trading Equity and Index Options." I bought it and re-reading it for the 2nd times.....I'm a slow learner....hahaha...

Jesse Dallenbach

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Jul 3, 2015
Northern California, U.S.A.
I just started reading Atomic Habits, by James Clear last night. 2 Chapters in and I already have been fortunate enough to find and receive value.

I know you all have already reviewed the book--going to go read that thread now.

A book I would recommend is

The Art of26443 Non-Conformity: Set Your Own Rules, Live the Life You Want, and Change the World
by Chris Guillebeau

Inspired and guided by Chris's own story and those of others who have pursued unconventional lives, you can devise your own plan for world domination-and make the world a better place at the same time.

V/R,

- Jesse W. Dallenbach "DB"

--
"Successful people are always looking for opportunities to help others. Unsuccessful people are always asking, "What's in it for me?"

"This town don't feel mine, I'm fast to get away...far!"

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
Ok the book people came out IN FORCE!!! Woot!!

Y’all. We gotta pare this thing down though. This is like..what fifty books we’ve nominated??

Oy.

Neomade

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jul 12, 2019
Paphos - Cyprus
I`m new here so don`t know if you discussed this.
But for a SMART SCALEABLE BUSINESS I strong recommend this two books about outsourcing work:
"Work the system" Sam Carpenter (very good) and "The art of doing less" Ari Meisel (good)

BlackLynx

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
279%
Jan 21, 2019
Belgium
I nominate Skin in the Game by Nassim Taleb. Perhaps it will get picked and I can use some peer pressure to finally finish it;

Teddy L Wang

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Jun 10, 2019
Let's hear your nominations for this month's book discussion!

Don't forget to give us your take on July's book, Never Split the Difference, by Voss. (I'm half way done with it.)

I nominate The Chimp Paradox which continually comes in 2nd place in our voting! I haven't read it, but many folks here have recommended it.

Also, Why We Sleep (our Insider giveaway drawing this month)...

51b36-UW0xL.jpg
MJ, have you read MOONSHOTS? By Naveen Jain, the billionaire who's trying to mine the moon? What he talks about in there reminds me of your message: changing lives by depth of value and scale. He argues that it's easier to launch a crazy idea than a conventional one.

BTW, was Michael Jordan talented? Because you say not everyone can be like Michael Jordan (I think), but supposedly, he was cut from his high school basketball team. Did MJ get to where he was because he was talented PLUS hard working? Or just hard working but not talented? Because if he was talented, his coach would've noticed...

One more thing. This whole notion of passion and purpose. You mentioned that something that triggers you either positively or negatively is your passion. Purpose, however, was a bit murky. You said that if you're wondering what your purpose is, you probably don't have one.

I feel confused at the crossroads of too many paths. Every one of them is going to take my everything, because you say we have to Monogamize and succeed at one thing before Polygamizing it. You said your purpose is to share your Fastlane message. That's what drives you? And your passion is what triggers your driving to that destination... but isn't your purpose enough of a motivation that passion is unnecessary?

How do we choose the right path? If we don't enjoy the feedback loop, then does that mean we shouldn't go down that path? Or should we tough it out by reminding ourselves what our passions are, as well as what our end purpose is? Maybe I need to listen to the books a few more times. I guess what I'm trying to ask is do we have to enjoy the feedback loop, in the sense that does giving value to others have to hit us with that dopamine high in order to be the right path? Or do we hate the feedback loop but keep giving value through that loop because others value our offer so much?

ValueGenerator

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Jan 17, 2018
Los Angeles
I think everyone should read this. It's just one of those 'required reading' books.

View attachment 26317

Major New York Times bestseller
Winner of the National Academy of Sciences Best Book Award in 2012
Selected by the New York Times Book Review as one of the ten best books of 2011
A Globe and Mail Best Books of the Year 2011 Title
One of The Economist's 2011 Books of the Year
One of The Wall Street Journal's Best Nonfiction Books of the Year 2011
2013 Presidential Medal of Freedom Recipient
Kahneman's work with Amos Tversky is the subject of Michael Lewis's The Undoing Project: A Friendship That Changed Our Minds

In the international bestseller, Thinking, Fast and Slow, Daniel Kahneman, the renowned psychologist and winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics, takes us on a groundbreaking tour of the mind and explains the two systems that drive the way we think. System 1 is fast, intuitive, and emotional; System 2 is slower, more deliberative, and more logical. The impact of overconfidence on corporate strategies, the difficulties of predicting what will make us happy in the future, the profound effect of cognitive biases on everything from playing the stock market to planning our next vacation—each of these can be understood only by knowing how the two systems shape our judgments and decisions.

Engaging the reader in a lively conversation about how we think, Kahneman reveals where we can and cannot trust our intuitions and how we can tap into the benefits of slow thinking. He offers practical and enlightening insights into how choices are made in both our business and our personal lives—and how we can use different techniques to guard against the mental glitches that often get us into trouble. Winner of the National Academy of Sciences Best Book Award and the Los Angeles Times Book Prize and selected by The New York Times Book Review as one of the ten best books of 2011, Thinking, Fast and Slow is destined to be a classic.

This book changed my life! Also since reading it, I've seen it referenced countless times in other amazing books and research.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Vote now, I've included a variety of options based on a combination of prior book nominations and vote tallies, nominations here, plus likes/comments, etc.

Champion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 12, 2019
Hamburg, Germany
Wow Mj, why such a tease! You post about "Why we Sleep" but you dont put it in the poll :p

Really intrigued by that book and wanna read it now.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Damn, this is a tough call.. I'm gonna have to think about this. I'm torn between two.

I would have probably voted for a nomination of Super Thinking, but no one explained the benefits.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
Damn, this is a tough call.. I'm gonna have to think about this. I'm torn between two.

I would have probably voted for a nomination of Super Thinking, but no one explained the benefits.

Well don’t whine. Lol

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.