The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Vegan / Vegetarians Only (Chat about lifestyle, opportunities, food, whatever...)

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
I just ate a pound of bread....oops :wideyed:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I just ate a pound of bread....oops :wideyed:

I gained weight my first few months of going vegan. I wasn't really plant-based, I was just eating fake meats and non-vegan items (bread/non-dairy butter), all of which, wasn't very healthy.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
I gained weight my first few months of going vegan. I wasn't really plant-based, I was just eating fake meats and non-vegan items (bread/non-dairy butter), all of which, wasn't very healthy.

All muscle right? :cool:

I've been eating quite alot of spaghetti lately, tried some coconut cashews last night but they weren't to tasteful, but they have good fat and protein content. The bread's been scarfed down with peanut butter and blueberry jam :praise:

Been feeling pretty good the past week!

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Don't forget b12 supplements, probably the biggest reason people abandon veganism is the drop in energy that results from no b12, this is crucial to success!

I haven't noticed any energy dips, still have tons of energy and last night did my boxing class with a 10km bike ride, still could keep going and did some more workouts on my own for about an hour.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
carrots... don't like them, but the nutritional value of them is amazing

One serving of carrots is a half cup. One serving has:

• 25 calories
  • 6 grams of carbohydrates
  • 2 grams of fiber
  • 3 grams of sugar
  • 0.5 grams of protein
Carrots are a great source of important vitamins and minerals. A half-cup can give you up to:

Health Benefits of Carrots​

Carrots have a wealth of antioxidants and offer many health benefits. Here are the highlights:

They’re good for your eyes. This is probably the best-known carrot superpower. They're rich in beta-carotene, a compound your body changes into vitamin A, which helps keep your eyes healthy. And beta-carotene helps protect your eyes from the sun and lowers your chances of cataracts and other eye problems.

funny tidbit

Risks of Carrots​

If you eat too much beta-carotene, it can make your skin turn an orange-yellow color. This condition is called carotenemia.

Someone go eat a few pounds of carrots and let us know the results :rofl:

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I bawled my eyes out just watching this trailer

I can't bear to watch. Watching it doesn't change what I already know, and what I've already refused to be part of.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
I can't bear to watch. Watching it doesn't change what I already know, and what I've already refused to be part of.

Just an idea here, since you love writing...

A book on the meat industry that talks about seeders/indoctrination? Along the lines of exposing '' you need meat for protein '' and things of that nature, talking about the profitability and madness (as an entrepreneur) of exploiting voiceless lives would be a great book.

Maybe even a best seller!? ;)

Odysseus M Jones

[B...{r<°∆°>}--O--{<°∆°>k}...E]
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Feb 2, 2020
carrots... don't like them, but the nutritional value of them is amazing

One serving of carrots is a half cup. One serving has:

• 25 calories
  • 6 grams of carbohydrates
  • 2 grams of fiber
  • 3 grams of sugar
  • 0.5 grams of protein
Carrots are a great source of important vitamins and minerals. A half-cup can give you up to:

Health Benefits of Carrots​

Carrots have a wealth of antioxidants and offer many health benefits. Here are the highlights:

They’re good for your eyes. This is probably the best-known carrot superpower. They're rich in beta-carotene, a compound your body changes into vitamin A, which helps keep your eyes healthy. And beta-carotene helps protect your eyes from the sun and lowers your chances of cataracts and other eye problems.

funny tidbit

Risks of Carrots​

If you eat too much beta-carotene, it can make your skin turn an orange-yellow color. This condition is called carotenemia.

Sweet potatoes have more beta carotene.
iirc they're top of the pops for it.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011

I actually do that as I eat carrots or drink raw carrot juice daily.

My skin has a year-round tan. Not exactly super orangeish, just more vibrant and warmer. And with real tanning, I can get pretty dark.

Also, there's this study:

Maybe I should start selling carrots to Instagrammers LOL.

I also supplement with vegan Hawaiian astaxanthin. It's also a carotenoid but it produces a red color. When you combine it with carrots you get a healthy nice skin as astaxanthin helps with skin health. It also has some potential benefits for recovery, eyesight, and UV protection.

A fun fact is that flamingos, salmons and shrimps get their color from astaxanthin. But as with most things, they get it from plants, or microalgae Haematococcus pluvialis to be more exact.

A bit more about astaxanthin here for anyone interested:

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Just an idea here, since you love writing...

A book on the meat industry that talks about seeders/indoctrination? Along the lines of exposing '' you need meat for protein '' and things of that nature, talking about the profitability and madness (as an entrepreneur) of exploiting voiceless lives would be a great book.

I wouldn't love writing that. It would only infuriate me more that humans can be so selfish and arrogant.

wanttogofaster

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Sep 2, 2019
  1. Vegan (no meat, no eggs, no dairy, no honey),
  2. Mostly-Raw Vegan (no foods cooked above 107 degrees),
  3. Soy-Free
  4. Gluten-Free
  5. Mostly-Organic

By Day 5, it was as if I tapped into some type of energy levels I've never experienced before. I could go hiking in the morning, work throughout the day, and then still have this clean, lasting, sustained energy all into the night. It's hard to describe, but I think it was a mixture of eliminating gluten from the diet as well (corn tortillas instead of wheat, gluten-free pasta etc.).

Literally for 3 weeks straight, it felt as if I had this god-like energy flow through my body and I just felt so...alive.
Can you give some meal examples?
Thanks!

Branko

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Mar 30, 2021
Do you have any recommendations for good vegan protein powder/meal replacement? I have tried a couple and so far all have tasted pretty bad.
I loooove sun warrior if its in your budget. It's incredible. Currently I'm using vegan hemp protein from myprotein.com.

Just go for a quality one, don't skimp on body fuel.

wanttogofaster

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Sep 2, 2019
Congrats.

You'll find it not too difficult.

With all the new companies springing up and offering some great alternatives, it has really has made the transition easy. I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything...

And there is nothing like CRAVING this... (my dinner on Sunday)

View attachment 20074

Instead of processed factory-farmed garbage.

And yes before anyone says it, there is protein there.
Do you remember what is it that looks like "ham" on the right side under the tomato? What about the white stuff right above the peas?

We went vegan about a month ago, and have been struggling with flatulence because of all the beans! We ate lots of beans before switching, but definitely not every day.

Thanks

Odysseus M Jones

[B...{r<°∆°>}--O--{<°∆°>k}...E]
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Feb 2, 2020
Sweet potatoes have more beta carotene.
iirc they're top of the pops for it.
@sparechange
Chock full of vitamin E too.

And along with potatoes, only 62 calories per 100g.
Grains (rice, bread, pasta) are over 300 calories per 100g.
Plus, potatoes are super-filling despite their low calorie content.
For weight control it's a no-grainer really.

Did I mention potatoes are a great source of vitamin C?

Until potatoes were introduced to Europe, the population was tiny due to regular famine from crop failure.

We probably wouldn't be here today if it wasn't for the humble spud.

Btw are French fries sandwiches a thing for you folks living left of the Atlantic?

Oh, and they're gluten free.
Plus they're a fruit if we're to believe a certain European nation that calls them the apple of the earth.

In conclusion.
Potatoes are:

Vegan
Low calorie
Gluten free
Low fat
Filling
Versatile
Cheap

@wanttogofaster vinegar with beans will reduce that.
Can't remember if it's put in while you cook them or on them when you eat them.
PS your screen name, now you've got your wish.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Do you remember what is it that looks like "ham" on the right side under the tomato? What about the white stuff right above the peas?

Tofurky. Hickory smoked.

I think the white stuff was Jickama.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Was having dinner last night at pizzeria with a huge vegan menu.

Behind me was an old couple (80s) and I'm guessing the guy couldn't hear very well.

I heard him call over the waitress (speaking too loudly) and then point to his meal, "Is this dish vegan?" When she verified it, he was like, "It is taste so good, I can't believe it, you can't tell the difference between real chicken." I'm guessing he was having the vegan chicken parm. He was damn impressed.

FYI: Not all vegan dishes are bland as anti-vegan propaganda would have you believe.

If a vegan dish is bland, it's because it wasn't specifically prepared to BE VEGAN. Removing ingredients and calling it "vegan" is like replacing the tires on a car with cinder blocks and still calling it a car. If a restaurant says, "Oh we can make it vegan be removing the X, Y, and Z", you're probably going to get a dish that isn't very good.

What I learned in the last 4 years that vegan dishes created specifically to be vegan are delicious. Vegan dishes created by virtue of omission, aren't very good. And hence why, many people falsely believe that everything vegan is bland, tasteless, and not filling.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
I'll pickup almonds, peanuts and some protein gummies next time I hit the gym, but just spent $113 dollars on food somehow which hopefully lasts me the week lol.

1. Beyond meat burgers (haven't had them ever yet and wanna try them) despite never really being a hamburger fan, saw they got a ton of vitamin B12.
  2. The fake chicken strips MJ recommended to me
  3. Juices with Vitamin C, some lemonade pops for my sweet tooth...
  4. Pasta & Sauces
  5. Alpine bread
  6. French Fries... hmmmmmmmmmmmmm
  7. Nutrigrain bars
  8. Rice
  9. Cereals (the bad kind) for a snack & to finish off my almond milk
  10. Peanut butter & Strawberry jam
  11. Small bags of lettuce and red cabbage
  12. Got some carrots aswell, but haven't really had the appetite to eat them

I only eat 2 meals a day and maybe some small snacks during the day, + killing it in the gym doing kick boxing, haven't had any energy dips so excited to see how week 2 feels,

Last edited:

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
10th Annual Food Revolution Summit goes live on April 24. It’s a free event featuring 25 of the world’s most trusted plant-based nutrition experts, including Dean Ornish and Michael Greger.

More info and sign-up here:

Might be a good way to learn the most recent plant-based nutrition science.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
The meatless burgers are ok, don't really taste like anything though and stunk up my kitchen kinda like dog food :shit:

Saw it has vitamin B12, a ton of protein and some other good stuff...

1618999636633.png

I'm coming up on week 2 of this new no meat & dairy diet, and have noticed my appetite has severely dropped, which is pretty strange.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
copy pasting from some website... haven't been eating exactly perfect, but eh.. makes sense. Maybe this can help someone else to.

Eating Healthier Will Reduce Your Appetite​

This is not specific to being vegan.

For similar reasons to the ones above, whole foods are a lot more filling than junk foods:

• More fiber
  • Less sugar
  • Higher water content

Additionally, eating a lot of processed foods and sugars essentially ruins proper appetite control. It’s why you can eat a bag of chips and still be hungry.

A lot of people who go vegan all of a sudden start eating healthier. The hormones that control your appetite start to “reset” to normal sensitivity levels, and of course your appetite goes down compared to what it used to be.

This can be fine, especially if you’re overweight.

The only times it’s an issue is if you’re having trouble eating enough to maintain a healthy weight.

SUMMARY
If you’re used to eating a lot of junk food and are now eating healthier as a vegan, it will affect your appetite. However, it should not suppress your appetite to a point where you reach an unhealthy weight.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Question for pure vegans, do you use supplements?

afaik from what I've read b12, iron and zinc are the main missing things from a vegan diet, so is it essential to take supplements or do you get these nutrients strictly from certain foods?

Considering spending some bucks on this although am not sure if it's exactly necessary..

Last edited:

Branko

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Mar 30, 2021
Question for pure vegans, do you use supplements?

afaik from what I've read b12, iron and zinc are the main missing things from a vegan diet, so is it essential to take supplements or do you get these nutrients strictly from certain foods?

Considering spending some bucks on this although am not sure if it's exactly necessary..
I definitely suggest B12, and depending on where you live, especially during the winter months vitamin D.
B12 deficiency is not a vegan problam, it's a general problem, so taking a B12 supplement is a good idea.

Vitamin D, we get from the sun, so no sun = no vitamin D, hence supplement is a good idea.

Aside from those, I don't really eat any supplements, and my iron, and other blood values have always been normal, everytime my blood was checked. Been vegan for about 5 years now.

I really suggest this video:

Its about as legit of a source you will find. And the best part is it will only take 4 minutes of your time. It explains why B12 is necessary. What is B12, where does it come from? Why are people deficient in it? What are the symptoms of B12 deficiency.

The funniest thing is, meat eaters usually like to lean on B12 deficiency as this holy grail argument, where as in fact B12 isn't found in meat, of produced by animals lol. Infact a lot of animal feed is fortified with B12, just so that we can saturate the animals in in before we chop em and put them on the shelfs.

Good luck, and keep up the good work.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Don't forget b12 supplements, probably the biggest reason people abandon veganism is the drop in energy that results from no b12, this is crucial to success!

My opinion on supplements: B12 is mandatory for vegans, and is recommended for omnivores who don't eat a lot of eggs or lean meats (aka most people). D3 is another mandatory one, but that's probably for everyone unless you are (1) a person who works outside all day, or (2) a white person in a sunny climate.

Vegans who are not eating a highly varied diet should also take calcium, zinc, and iron. There's no risk to taking too much zinc so you might as well take it anyway. Iron supplements I'd say are mandatory for women of reproductive age, as they lose a significant amount of blood every month, and calcium supplements might be beneficial for women of menopausal age: vegan or not.

Iron is a point of contention which is honestly silly. Yes, it's true that non-heme iron is less bioavailable than heme iron. But, heme iron may be linked to increased risk of cancers. The solution is to eat more foods high in iron, and to consume vitamin C with those foods as vitamin C increases the absorption of non-heme iron. For example, eat some bell peppers with your legumes, or squirt some lemon juice on your spinach.

Vegans have a problem getting Omega-3 fatty acids. I don't take DHA supplements. Instead, I eat 2 tbsp of GROUND flax seeds daily (in my oatmeal.. yum!) If at all possible, find whole food alternatives to supplements.

I'm not a doctor (not even close), I'm just saying what other doctors say that has evidence to back it up.

We who choose to eat an animal-free diet DO limit ourselves and ARE susceptible to certain health risks. We should not deny this. However, if you're taking the right supplements as instructed AND are getting most of your vitamins from whole food sources, you should never have to deal with a deficiency of any kind.

Iron, D3, and B12 deficiencies are very common in omnivores as well, so omnivores shouldn't think they're safe.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.