The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Vegan / Vegetarians Only (Chat about lifestyle, opportunities, food, whatever...)

ronczka

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Aug 1, 2019
Australia
(Veggie burgers, Tofu, Falafel) - from what I can tell these are all processed and they would go with veggies and lentils for dinners.

The only one I eat regularly is Tofu and that's because wife prefers it over tempeh though I love tempeh's nutty flavour. When I cook tofu (firm) I tend to press it a couple of hours before I am going to cook and marinade it in a soy sauce / peanut butter / water / garlic mix, either bake slabs or cube it for stir fries.

I had plenty of lentils, brown rice, mushrooms, crushed tomato, pumpkin, broccoli, peas, chickpeas.
That sounds a great intake basis, just remember to "eat the rainbow" as Dr Greger says.

I didn't supplement with B12 at all.
@MTF 's answer is right on the mark.

I ate lots of almonds.

Almonds can get a bit weird if you start to over consume them. That's why its best to avoid flours made of them. The general rule of thumb I've read and use, is to measure out what you are consuming to what you'd be able to eat the whole form of the food, so with almonds, specifically the flour form, one cup of it will be more then I would consume of the nuts in a single sitting and therefore I'd avoid using it as a component of my diet.

It was the opposite for me, I was losing weight, losing all of my strength and muscle mass as well.

Currently, I am experimenting with Low Carb, High Fat or LCHF (for the search engine friendly term) as a method of increasing my over energy efficiency to caloric intake ratio. And it been super good as opposed to wife's High carb, low fat routine (HCLF), as I fine I have more energy eating LCHF then HCLF - the great thing about both versions is that they're compatible with whole food plant-based eating.

So If you're looking at maintaining energy, look into it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
That, plus no honey and no fish, is actually vegan, not vegetarian

I eat honey. It provides an incentive to keep bees, which are actually necessary to our survival (as opposed to chickens and cows).

And my understanding of vegan also excludes using anything made of animals. Wool, leather, etc. The vegans I know tend to stick to that.

I just call it vegetarian to avoid vegans coming at me, which has happened lol

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
I eat honey. It provides an incentive to keep bees, which are actually necessary to our survival (as opposed to chickens and cows).

I stopped eating honey because the reality isn't as pretty as you paint it. Honey production actually contributes to the problem...

Mass breeding of honeybees affects the populations of other competing nectar-foraging insects, including other bees. Overwhelmed by the ever-inflating quantities of farmed bees, the numbers of native bumblebees have declined.

Last edited:

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
I did some blood tests today (it's been a few years since the last time I did it). Super curious about the results. I also did some new vegan-specific tests I've never done before like B12 and homocysteine. I should have the majority of results tomorrow (and a few like free testosterone within a week).

I plan to do another test in 6-12 months to see the impact of the vegan diet (as of today I've been vegan for almost two weeks so I doubt there are any changes yet compared to my vegetarian diet).

Also, I've been cooking more recently. It's fun to cook colorful vegan stuff like this (before and after roasting):

IMG_20200812_110202.jpgIMG_20200812_114407.jpg

Trevor Kuntz

Professional Dog Owner
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Feb 5, 2012
Arizona
I did some blood tests today (it's been a few years since the last time I did it). Super curious about the results. I also did some new vegan-specific tests I've never done before like B12 and homocysteine. I should have the majority of results tomorrow (and a few like free testosterone within a week).

I plan to do another test in 6-12 months to see the impact of the vegan diet (as of today I've been vegan for almost two weeks so I doubt there are any changes yet compared to my vegetarian diet).

Also, I've been cooking more recently. It's fun to cook colorful vegan stuff like this (before and after roasting):

View attachment 34445View attachment 34446
What is the food in the middle row that appears to be some sort of white bean?

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
What is the food in the middle row that appears to be some sort of white bean?

It's called broad bean or fava bean.

I received most of the results today (only free testosterone and zinc will be available later). Everything is fine, including B12. Homocysteine is marginally elevated but well below the hyperhomocysteinemia level so I guess it's still normal.

The funnest one is D3 which is turbo-charged after 5 months in the tropics. As far as I remember, over 3x more than when I last tested it a few years ago.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
I've been researching cruelty-free investing recently and I'm appalled by how many companies exploit animals. Most of the companies in my portfolio exploit animals in one way or another.

Some perform animal testing (cosmetics, pharma). Some sell animal products like meat/dairy/eggs (Nestle, Unilever) or leather (Nike). Then there are companies I didn't expect to be so unethical, for example Walt Disney Company and the use of animals in their zoos (I wasn't even aware they have zoos).

There are also some companies that I'm hesitant about. For example, Ingredion and Archer Daniels Midland both are in the agriculture business, providing plant-based ingredients. But they also provide these ingredients for animal feed. Is it ethical to invest in them knowing that a part of their business supports the worst industry in the world from the vegan perspective?

But then, is it ethical to invest in Accenture which provides consulting services and helps many multinational corporations including Unilever that sells animal products?

Super tough to figure it out. But worthwhile if you want to live with integrity. I want to completely revise my investing philosophy and will aim to reduce my negative impact as much as possible. There's no way to be a "perfect" vegan with so many moral conundrums but there's definitely a lot we can do to promote and support ethical companies and vote with our wallets against the unethical ones.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Been vegan since the end of July (after being vegetarian previously for 12-13 years).

Still am vegan and my girlfriend is almost vegan, too (she eats honey and may consider eggs from her family's backyard).

Thanks to being vegan I visited some cool new restaurants and tried tons of new foods, many of which I now eat regularly. My health is pretty much the same as before. I'm yet to do blood work to compare results but I'm not sure if it's going to be useful since I spent the first half of the year living in a much healthier environment (tropics) than I am now (gray, cold, depressing winter).

I still need to optimize my diet for my fitness goals so I'm thinking of hiring a vegan fitness coach.

If anyone's thinking about turning vegan, consider Veganuary:

TinyOldLady

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
a creamy potato, mushroom, and broccoli soup. I couldn't believe there was no dairy in it and she used some type of cashew thing
Yesterday I saw this and tried an improvised variation of this soup today. It looked kind of weird, thus no pics, but the taste was spectacular! I used walnuts for the creamy texture, and porcini for the mushroom taste , no flavor enhancers at all! It tasted like the non vegan version from my childhood

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Everyone should look into fasting aswell, lots of health benefits.

I'm actually curious as to what meat would taste like without all the additives... with all the taste and flavoring perhaps people wouldn't be eating so much meat?

''The health risk of bacon is largely to do with two food additives: potassium nitrate (also known as saltpetre) and sodium nitrite. It is these that give salamis, bacons and cooked hams their alluring pink colour.'' And then you have all the salt and whatever else is snuck in.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
43 year old Vegan Carries Perennial Losing Team to Super Bowl! is a headline you won't read today.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
I was just watching a Cato Institute video on why meat is good for you, right after I had watched a video on why meat is bad for you.

This made me think about the actual problems with nutrition science and why listening to authorities on the matter isn't going to give you the full truth. So what's wrong with nutrition science?

1. Nutrition science is used to influence nutrition policy, which determines things like subsidies for farmers and school lunch contracts. This is, in my view, the number one problem with nutrition science: incentives and begging hands are in the way.
  2. Nutrition science is used to justify worldviews, causing things like “plant-based diets” vs. “omnivorous/carnivorous diets” to become needlessly politicized. Vegans, for instance, want to believe that plant-based diets are better for you than omnivorous ones in order to make their choice seem and feel more valid. Similarly, omnivores will look at the efforts of vegans (particularly militant ones) and take it as an assault on their right to eat meat. This goes back into nutrition policy and its potential to make certain food choices less viable.
  3. Nutrition research is usually done in the context of treating diseases and improving longevity. On one hand, this is an effective use of scientific resources. On the other hand, conclusions that are drawn in one population may not be representative of the reality for the wider population.
  4. A more specific application of nutrition research is to find ways to help treat obesity and obesity-related conditions. As a result, there’s an incentive for nutrition research to focus on weight loss (specifically loss of body fat), where success is measured by starting weight minus final weight, regardless of the time scale used.
  5. Our understanding of the human body is still very much incomplete, particularly when it comes to the way it interacts with the environment. This is even more pronounced when it comes to food.
  6. Nutrition science often produces findings that go against conventional wisdom, which causes friction between those who produce and report these findings and the wider public.
  7. There is an incentive for journalists to report findings in a sensationalist manner, instead of using them as an opportunity to educate the public on the implications of the findings.
  8. Food and culture are heavily intertwined, and promoting one way of eating over another may cause cultural anxiety that could lead to backlash. See: Southern American and African-American diets

Ultimately, the onus is on the individual to find their own truth and to understand the risks of the food they eat.

I've been "vegan" for almost a year. No, I don't eat honey anymore, but mainly because it's just sugar with a flavor and there's no reason to have that crap in my diet. My digestion is so much better. I feel great. I'm regular. My energy levels are high. I exercise 6 days a week, 3 days of cardio and 3 days of resistance training (the gym needs to hurry up and reopen). I don't get any more random stomach pains, and if I do, it's always followed by an expulsion of gas (TMI? Too Bad!) This, at least for now, is MY TRUTH.

Find your truth and don't let others do the thinking for you!

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
My digestion is so much better. I feel great. I'm regular. My energy levels are high. I exercise 6 days a week, 3 days of cardio and 3 days of resistance training (the gym needs to hurry up and reopen). I don't get any more random stomach pains, and if I do, it's always followed by an expulsion of gas (TMI? Too Bad!) This, at least for now, is MY TRUTH.
I've been "vegan" for almost a year.

Wow, I didn't know. Congrats.

I can report similar results, and now in the age range of "old" (50+) I can stress how important this is.

I had terrible digestion issues for years, including acid reflux, high cholesterol and a few other problems. All of that disappeared with exception to acid reflux, which only returns when consuming highly refined oils, like canola or cottonseed. Other than that, I've never felt better.

There is an incentive for journalists to report findings in a sensationalist manner

Just to give you an example of this...

So a vegan died trying to climb Everest... but so did two MEAT-EATERS in her climbing party.

1612809233100.pngInteresting we didn't hear about that except in the last paragraph of this sensationalized garbage journalism.

Her diet had nothing to do with her death, other than besmirching Veganism and producing sensational anti-vegan material for the masses.

43 year old Vegan Carries Perennial Losing Team to Super Bowl! is a headline you won't read today.

Correction: 43 year old vegan carries perennial losing team to a Super Bowl victory!

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
I had terrible digestion issues for years, including acid reflux, high cholesterol and a few other problems. All of that disappeared with exception to acid reflux, which only returns when consuming highly refined oils, like canola or cottonseed. Other than that, I've never felt better.

Thing is, vegan diets are not inherently healthy. It's very, VERY easy to eat unhealthy when on a vegan diet. I think there was a South Park episode on this, where Cartman goes from anti-vegan to pro-vegan when he learns that vegans can still eat a lot of processed garbage food if they choose to.

Deep fried Oreos made with an egg-free batter are still vegan, after all.

I've enjoyed sticking to a plant-based whole foods diet, focusing on eating food that looks both like a plant AND a food. Doesn't mean I don't eat Oreos and french fries, it's just that I know those are triggers and if I eat too many of them there will be problems.

My self-imposed constraints (and the fact that I cook almost all of my meals) have made it so that it's actually easier and cheaper to eat plant based whole foods.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Thing is, vegan diets are not inherently healthy.

Yup, I gained about 8 pounds in the first few months of going vegan -- was purely a junk food vegan, plenty of carbs, processed fake meats, heavy sugars, and all other vegan junk. When I started eating whole foods and things with no- to light processing, things turned around.

Some other things of note...

My B12 is in the high range, if anything, I have too much in my system.
I have had no problem preserving muscle, protein consumption, not an issue.

YanC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Sep 18, 2017
France
A couple years ago I gave vegetarianism a try. Didn't stick to it after a month as I had found I had lost muscle and felt tired. In hindsight, I think I just didn't commit enough for it to work.

I stumbled upon this thread plus had a chat about veganism today, which led me to reread a great book I had read about overall food issues at the time, including weather or not to eat meat. The part about animal cruelty is as overwhelming as it was the first time.

I think I've been trying to justify my going back to normal "cause I'm a big guy and I need to eat meat in order to stay like this", but deep inside, I knew.

Let's make it work this time.

Last edited:

Matt Sun

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Oct 21, 2017
Argentina
A couple years ago I gave vegetarianism a try. Didn't stick to it after a month as I had found I had lost muscle and felt tired. In hindsight, I think I just didn't commit enough for it to work.

I stumbled upon this thread plus had a chat about veganism today, which led me to reread a great book I had read about overall food issues at the time, including weather or not to eat meat. The part about animal cruelty is as overwhelming as it was the first time.

I think I've been trying to justify my going back to normal "cause I'm a big guy and I need to eat meat in order to stay like this", but deep inside, I knew.

Let's make it work this time.
Good Luck ! I'm a 3 yo vegan, never felt better kind of type. Used to have cronic sinusitis, lots of sore throat infection, taking anti biotics every year, bad skin etc. All that is gone. Even grew some muscle as vegan and training in gimnastic rings wich I love.

My success was in part for using this free app, www.cronometer.com

I hope it helps you in your journey.

You don't have to use it for life, but it really helps the first 21 days of going vegan, you learn a lot about wich nutrients are in wich food.

By the way, for calories / muscle, you can have lots of walnuts, sunflower seeds (with this I make my cheese), chia seeds. flax etc. Anything that is a seed is pure fat so its very caloric and usually have proteins and lots of other nutrients too.

This daily dozen is also a good start:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqmSMunAtss&ab_channel=NutritionFacts.org

I hope I added a little value with this !

Last edited:

YanC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Sep 18, 2017
France
Thanks for the tips @Matt Sun . I don't have any health issue that needs to be cured, to me it's 100% a question of ethics.

As I think about this, it seems to me that the issue is mindset. I see cooking as a chore. I developed a way of cooking and eating that is healthy and time wise very efficient, but the least I can say is that the eating part was never exciting and i'm getting tired of it after 2-3 years. I just wanted to be done with it in 45min a day and give my body what it needs.

The idea here is, since it's necessary, rather than making it a chore, to embrace it. I still want it efficient and will try to spend 1 hour or less a day cooking. That seems doable. Like most people, even if I try to be mindful about it, I still spend some time on stupid shit on my phone everyday. I'd rather use this time to eat well.

By the way, breakfast seems to be taken care of: throw a banana, an orange, an apple, a branch of rhubarb and celery, a handful of spinach leaves, hemp seeds, maple syrup and a bit of water in a blender, and here you go. Yummy ! Homemade gingerbread is great too.

Aryan 7835

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Dec 30, 2020
So a big myth is working-out lifestyle makes you feel fresh, keeps the mind & body healthy and but I'm working out since 12 (light)

I would say that I had to push myself into working out everyday, I don't go to gym(all at my home) , I felt all tired right in the morning and from today I experiment on myself by stopped working out. and results are productivity is more and the mental clarity is more than it was before. There's more off that happiness the feeling of not wanting to escape.

So quitting to workout might not be a lose but a win in some cases.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Good Luck ! I'm a 3 yo vegan, never felt better kind of type. Used to have cronic sinusitis, lots of sore throat infection, taking anti biotics every year, bad skin etc. All that is gone. Even grew some muscle as vegan and training in gimnastic rings wich I love.

My success was in part for using this free app, www.cronometer.com

I hope it helps you in your journey.

You don't have to use it for life, but it really helps the first 21 days of going vegan, you learn a lot about wich nutrients are in wich food.

By the way, for calories / muscle, you can have lots of walnuts, sunflower seeds (with this I make my cheese), chia seeds. flax etc. Anything that is a seed is pure fat so its very caloric and usually have proteins and lots of other nutrients too.

This daily dozen is also a good start:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqmSMunAtss&ab_channel=NutritionFacts.org

I hope I added a little value with this !

I'm all aboard the plant based whole foods diet train now, and the daily dozen helped me visualize the kinds of foods to eat.

Some foods are more healthy than others and should be prioritized.

becks22

90% coffee, 10% everything else
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Jul 6, 2016
Upstate NY
sunflower seeds (with this I make my cheese), chia seeds. flax etc. Anything that is a seed is pure fat so its very caloric and usually have proteins and lots of other nutrients too.

Never heard of sunflower cheese until now. Everything I've ever seen uses cashews for cheese sauces. Any opinions on the taste? Cashews are very expensive so I hate to use them for cheese sauce and sunflower seeds are a cheaper alternative IMO.

Matt Sun

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Oct 21, 2017
Argentina
Never heard of sunflower cheese until now. Everything I've ever seen uses cashews for cheese sauces. Any opinions on the taste? Cashews are very expensive so I hate to use them for cheese sauce and sunflower seeds are a cheaper alternative IMO.
Sunflower seeds are indeed really cheaper than cashews, and taste great if you add some seasonings . (like cheese flavored yeast, some lemon juice, salt, curry, etc). And you only have to soak them like 2 hours so they are really convenient.

Acording to cronometer.com with just 50grams you have 117% of your vitamin E daily need (this is a major reason I eat them so much) and +50% of vitamin B6, +50% B1, 100% copper, 32% Iron, 47% phosphorus, 42%manganese, 40% magnesium.

This is the kind of thing that comes to my mind when people say the vegan diet is so expensive and elitist, while seeds are among the cheapest and also most nutrient dense foods.

Attachments

• sunflowers.jpg
    sunflowers.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 4

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
I had a vegan sandwich and still felt hungry after it, is this a normal thing?

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011

Depends what kind of a sandwich it was. There are many ways to eat plant-based, some more filling, some less.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Depends what kind of a sandwich it was. There are many ways to eat plant-based, some more filling, some less.

12 inch sub with lettuce tomato, onions and cucumbers

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011

So virtually no protein and fiber in it? Lettuce, tomato, onions and cucumbers are all super low-calorie, mostly water-based vegetables. Unless you eat a big salad with them, it won't fill you up. If you got it with, for example, a falafel, you'd feel different afterward.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

So essentially you had a sandwich on white bread with no fiber, no protein, no fat, and no nutritional value and you're wondering why you were hungry after?

Your sandwich is less about veganism, and more about eating poorly.

A water sandwich wouldn't fill me up either.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.