The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Unscripted Audiobook @Audible?

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
While you wait for the trillion dollar company to fix this completely avoidable issue...
In the PC app, click Settings > Playback and change the default library playback mode to streaming.
If you have a Mac or phone, don't know what to tell you.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
I'm wondering if these problems are due to its length -- 17 hours is a huge file.

Doubtful, Game of Thrones was around 40 hours for one of the books.

It sounds like Amazon screwed the pooch somewhere when they uploaded it to their server.

Sully1994

Business Development @ Sprout Social
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Nov 5, 2016
Chicago
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

This is what I get for being an apple whore.

internetbear

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 19, 2017
internet
Chiming in to confirm that there is an issue with the Audible Audiobook.

All my other audiobooks play and download perfectly. But I can't even get the Unscripted audiobook to play in the Audible web player and it will not download via the "Audible Download Manager". The web player just sits there "Buffering..." and I receive this error when trying to download the audiobook "There was an error downloading your audible content. Please try again. This audio format is not supported for the title. Please download in another audio format."

Best wishes to MJ in resolving the issue with Amazon's lackluster vendor support ^_^

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Leave it to Amazon to f*ck up simple MP3 files and then to follow up with ZERO customer service. My producer is just as upset as he has done hundreds of audiobooks and won awards -- it's not like its his first rodeo.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I'm happy to announce that Amazon has declared nothing wrong. But their customer service rep sends his "warm regards" -- should I consider the problem solved?

we are not sure what you mean exactly by that error.

The closest guess is that someone downloaded the book but didn't pick the right level of quality. We know that Audible has a few formats available when someone chooses to download a book that will give the user access to different tiers of audio quality. The "enhanced" audio is of extremely high quality but also is much larger file while some of the other formats are a bit lower quality but take up less space for those users with space issues on their device or maybe slower internet.

mindfulimmortal

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas
I'm happy to announce that Amazon has declared nothing wrong. But their customer service rep sends his "warm regards" -- should I consider the problem solved?
Still no luck. The Audible tech who I spoke to walked me through testing all the download options (standard, high, single part, multi part) all to the same results. She then tried to download the book herself and that is when she discovered the same results and said it was in an "older version" and would need to be updated on their end.

BradD

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Oct 11, 2013
Ottawa

Absolutely, if the regards were sent cold, I'd certainly think twice

mindfulimmortal

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas
Still no luck. The Audible tech who I spoke to walked me through testing all the download options (standard, high, single part, multi part) all to the same results. She then tried to download the book herself and that is when she discovered the same results and said it was in an "older version" and would need to be updated on their end.

e7ba3da86896e837ca9d3403195f2738.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

JourneyToAbundance

Free time is my most valuable asset
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
378%
Mar 11, 2012
Salt Lake City
I finally got this to stream off of my MacBook Pro using Chrome
  1. When using the google chrome browser and the Audible cloud player
  2. Click on the "i" symbol which is surrounded by the first red rectangle in the image below
  3. Change your Flash settings to "Allow" in the drop down menu - see second red rectangle. This should fix the "Can't connect to Server error"
  4. Then reload the cloud player

upload_2017-6-19_22-2-30.png

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I finally got this to stream off of my MacBook Pro using Chrome
  1. When using the google chrome browser and the Audible cloud player
  2. Click on the "i" symbol which is surrounded by the first red rectangle in the image below
  3. Change your Flash settings to "Allow" - see second red rectangle.
  4. Then reload the cloud player

None of this should be relevant.

No one will bother.

It needs to be 1 click, download, and done, just like all the other books on Audible, including TMF .

But NO, Amazon has to f*ck this up just like they f*cked up the book release, they f*cked up the audiobook release (a month late) and now they've f*cked up its distribution and file formatting. They're batting 1.000 ... but yea, at least I've got "warm regards" from multiple customer service reps 10,000 miles away who don't give a shit about anything but which boilerplate email to send.

Yea, I'm pissed.

McFirewavesJr

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
263%
Sep 27, 2015
Las Vegas, NV
Hi,

Waiting for the audiobook to be available at Amazon Audible. MJD had announced it to be available at the end of last week but it's not yet available as of today. Can anybody - preferrably MJD himself - provide an update here?

Thx!

The hell!??! I went on the Audible store 3 days ago and it was still not there. I spent my free book on some other title instead. Damn you AUDIBLE!

V8Bill

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
334%
Feb 9, 2012
Australia
That's absolute BS! MP3 is Format 4. These motherf*ckers can't do anything right.
I didn't want to say anything before because I was really hoping you'd have better luck than me. I tried and tried to meet their requirements, had awesome quality (better than the one I released via pure MP3) and just came up with problem after problem after problem. I was actually going to try narrating some older classic books just because but after my horrific experiences with them I wrote the entire project off as a bad waste of my and everyone else's time. Gave up on getting my book up there as a bad joke in the end. I really hope you sort this out. You got further than I did but you're lucky because you have such staunch supporters with the tenacity to persist beyond what most consumers would. I might try again in ten years once they've got themselves sorted out.

mindfulimmortal

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas
Bad news. Received this email from Audible:
9e7f87ac59af409bb35bc2d6457432c6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MJ one more piece of important ammo for the clowns at Audible: I followed the exact instructions to download the book from a PC Audible app and change the format to 4 (you can do this on a PC but only HIGH and STANDARD on an iphone). It still fails with an error of:
None of this should be relevant.

No one will bother.

It needs to be 1 click, download, and done, just like all the other books on Audible, including TMF .

But NO, Amazon has to f*ck this up just like they f*cked up the book release, they f*cked up the audiobook release (a month late) and now they've f*cked up its distribution and file formatting. They're batting 1.000 ... but yea, at least I've got "warm regards" from multiple customer service reps 10,000 miles away who don't give a shit about anything but which boilerplate email to send.

Yea, I'm pissed.
MJ Finally got someone at Audible who had some common sense (there are a lot of scripted "it's not my job I just read from scripts" (literally) employee's at Amazon/Audible. He told me they are having this same issue with other new books (named the Hunger Games/Mocking Bird Series). The book won't download in any version including 4 from the PC He created another ticket and escalated it. I passed on that you were pretty upset for your customers.

Sean Kaye

Hopium Dealer
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
365%
Jun 14, 2017
Sydney, Australia
Hahaha.

I just got a ticket back telling me to use multi-part download after my original ticket said I've tried changing to standard quality and multi-part.

Then I called them and of course, ended up in the Philippines. Because I'm in Australia, I use an address in the US (The Westin Bonaventure in LA) so that I can use audible.com instead of the nonsense Australian version. Of course, to confirm that I am who I said I am, I needed to remember the zipcode... Oi vey.

Anyway, finally got through and was escalated to "level 2 support - Marvin".

Marvin has a worse accent and despite the fact that I called from my phone, they obviously use IP telephony, so my re-routed call probably got bounced through all parts of Asia and now I had to deal with Marvin's accent and over 500ms of latency.

Marvin told me that Unscripted has a known issue that it is not compatible with Format 4 or Enhanced Format 4 for Android... Except I have an iPhone. Apparently, iPhone sucks too.

And then he stopped talking... So I asked, "Well, how do I get the book I paid for."

Marvin told me he's escalating to higher level tech support and they will call me in 24-48 hours.

I told Marvin that I wasn't really interested in having a chat in a day or two, I just wanted my book. He didn't understand my humour.

More awkward silence.

So, no idea when I'll get what I paid for from Audible. LOL.

Mumtaz

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jul 15, 2016
UK
Every time I try to download it on my phone it tells me this
" Download Failure
This title is not supported in this audio
format. Please switch your download
quality in Settings and try again. If the
problem persists, please contact
Customer Care by going to Settings >
Contact Us. (Error: 3012) "

Mumtaz

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jul 15, 2016
UK
Hahaha.... and the funny thing is they don't tell us about the error when purchasing it
Hahaha.

I just got a ticket back telling me to use multi-part download after my original ticket said I've tried changing to standard quality and multi-part.

Then I called them and of course, ended up in the Philippines. Because I'm in Australia, I use an address in the US (The Westin Bonaventure in LA) so that I can use audible.com instead of the nonsense Australian version. Of course, to confirm that I am who I said I am, I needed to remember the zipcode... Oi vey.

Anyway, finally got through and was escalated to "level 2 support - Marvin".

Marvin has a worse accent and despite the fact that I called from my phone, they obviously use IP telephony, so my re-routed call probably got bounced through all parts of Asia and now I had to deal with Marvin's accent and over 500ms of latency.

Marvin told me that Unscripted has a known issue that it is not compatible with Format 4 or Enhanced Format 4 for Android... Except I have an iPhone. Apparently, iPhone sucks too.

And then he stopped talking... So I asked, "Well, how do I get the book I paid for."

Marvin told me he's escalating to higher level tech support and they will call me in 24-48 hours.

I told Marvin that I wasn't really interested in having a chat in a day or two, I just wanted my book. He didn't understand my humour.

More awkward silence.

So, no idea when I'll get what I paid for from Audible. LOL.

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
Every time I try to download it on my phone it tells me this
" Download Failure
This title is not supported in this audio
format. Please switch your download
quality in Settings and try again. If the
problem persists, please contact
Customer Care by going to Settings >
Contact Us. (Error: 3012) "
Same.

wmat

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
May 9, 2013
Not working for me at all. Can't stream on a PC, can't Download on PC, nor can I Download to my phone.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Oh, shit! Does this mean I'm the first official owner of the UNSCRIPTED audiobook? I just bought it on iBooks and it went fine and has no issues playing!!
Muahahaha!!!

I didn't realize iBooks did audio. I guess if they don't resolve the Audible thing soon, I may grab it from iBooks so I can listen to it on my flight next week.

wmat

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
May 9, 2013
Not working for me at all. Can't stream on a PC, can't Download on PC, nor can I Download to my phone.
I just got streaming to work on my computer by clicking the circled 'i' to the left of the URL in the Cloud Player popup window and changing the setting beside Flash to Allow. So at least I can listen on my computer.

Mumtaz

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jul 15, 2016
UK
I didn't realize iBooks did audio. I guess if they don't resolve the Audible thing soon, I may grab it from iBooks so I can listen to it on my flight next week.
I might return the audible one and get it also on iBooks. Can we speed it up on iBooks ?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.