The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Unscripted Audiobook @Audible?

JWelch

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Aug 12, 2016
Arizona
The frustration with control is worth it because Audible has millions of buyers and it connects to the Amazon channel.

I kept the rights for TMF (and control) in the first 3 years and sold hundreds. When I moved to Audible, it jumped into the tens of thousands.

Violating control when it comes to channels w/huge pools of buyers (usually Amazon) is a high EV trade.

Anyhow, I received word that I might have an update today about the audiobook. However, I'm not holding my breath -- I've heard this song-and-dance now for the last 3 weeks.
No, worries bro. I'm still a customer whether it comes out tomorrow or 6 months from now.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

c_morris

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Oct 30, 2016
Nova Scotia, Canada
Anyhow, I received word that I might have an update today about the audiobook. However, I'm not holding my breath -- I've heard this song-and-dance now for the last 3 weeks.

I sent them an email yesterday inquiring about when it would be available. Here is the auto response. Let's see if they respond to my inquiry "within the next business day".

upload_2017-6-14_12-32-32.png

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I received word that I might have an update today about the audiobook

And as expected... no word, no email, nothing.

Silence.

At least their last correspondence included "warm regards".

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida

c_morris

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Oct 30, 2016
Nova Scotia, Canada
Can you imagine my excitement when I saw this?

Audible 1.PNG

Only to be disappointed when i clicked the book and saw this!

Audible 2.PNG

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

mindfulimmortal

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas
Purchased the audible version just now! Then I get a download failure after purchase. Says I need to change the quality setting. tried Standard and High but received same error. contacting audible now.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida

mindfulimmortal

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas
Purchased the audible version just now! Then I get a download failure after purchase. Says I need to change the quality setting. tried Standard and High but received same error. contacting audible now.
Troubleshooting with Audible. they said to change to multi-part download which I did and it still failed.

Jamaal

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 30, 2015
Miami FL
I get download quality error message as well...

mindfulimmortal

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas
Audible says the book was downloaded in an older version that they need to update. They put in a ticket and it could be from 1 to 3 days to update on their end. However there is a work around. If you have ITunes on a PC you can download it from there then transfer it into audible and it will play!

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
@MJ DeMarco you should look into this.

I just did the same. Was on tech support. What they told me was that the audio file they have is "older content" and cannot be downloaded on phones. We have to download it as an audio file and manually sync through iTunes on a computer.

This is probably something you should look into.

Ps, from a publishers point of view Id be livid with the crappy customer service they've given you and your book.

mindfulimmortal

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas
Audible says the book was downloaded in an older version that they need to update. They put in a ticket and it could be from 1 to 3 days to update on their end. However there is a work around. If you have ITunes on a PC you can download it from there then transfer it into audible and it will play!
Or you can just Stream it live via Audible! :) It is just the download part and version differences (the audible app no longer allows older versions) that is the issue. They did recommend downloading in multi-part when it does work because the book is bigger. I told them it isn't bigger it is "better" :)

Jamaal

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 30, 2015
Miami FL

I just did the same. Was on tech support. What they told me was that the audio file they have is "older content" and cannot be downloaded on phones. We have to download it as an audio file and manually sync through iTunes on a computer.

Ps, from a publishers point of view Id be livid with the crappy customer service they've given you and your book.

Yes, this is definitely frustrating... I was expecting to be able to download it on my phone especially since I can't access a desktop right now

Jamaal

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 30, 2015
Miami FL
Or you can just Stream it live via Audible! :) It is just the download part and version differences (the audible app no longer allows older versions) that is the issue. They did recommend downloading in multi-part when it does work because the book is bigger. I told them it isn't bigger it is "better" :)

Is the audible stream working for you? It's not working on my work PC

mindfulimmortal

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas

The only good thing about this is it is a good CENTS lesson learned. In particular the CONTROL law. Luckily MJ has other paths (Physical and Kindle).

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida

How are you able to stream it? I don't have that option on Audible. I'm on an iPhone by the way.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Ugh, unbelievable.

Not sure what "older content" could mean -- the producer has done 100's of audiobooks and the files are version 1.

AdamMaxum

a worthy successor indeed
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Apr 30, 2011
NY
just confirming - won't download the book on my android pixel via the audible app. I tried adjusting settings for downloads, nothing worked.

mindfulimmortal

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas
How are you able to stream it? I don't have that option on Audible. I'm on an iPhone by the way.
Scot, So it appears you can only stream via the Audible PC version. there is a PLAY button below the book title. I tried to login via my iphone to the website and the same PLAY button is not there.
068019ab440adcf3a5038f2856c129ce.jpg

ZeroToOne

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
May 6, 2017
KS
If you have ITunes on a PC you can download it from there then transfer it into audible and it will play!

Did anyone actually get this option to work? I get the same error on PC as on my iPhone.

Attachments

• audible.png
    audible.png
    33.2 KB · Views: 7

Koen_88

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Jun 6, 2017
Netherlands
to see the play button on your phone in Google Chrome for android you have to check "request desktop version" then you will be able to see the play button..

But for me both chrome on PC or Android wont work, It just keeps buffering. and then it cant connect to the server.. bummer.

I think we fried there servers with everyone wanting to download it immediately after availability ;-)

Attachments

• problem connecting to server.png
    problem connecting to server.png
    184.2 KB · Views: 5

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
But for me both chrome on PC or Android wont work, It just keeps buffering.

I'm wondering if these problems are due to its length -- 17 hours is a huge file.

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
I'm wondering if these problems are due to its length
Could be, but Amazon should have figured out a work around for this years ago. I'm sure you're not the first.

Koen_88

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Jun 6, 2017
Netherlands
I'm wondering if these problems are due to its length -- 17 hours is a huge file.

searched a book with a comparable length:
Down the Highway: The Life of Bob Dylan

this is 20 hours and 31 mins so it's not that it is and impossible length (it sure is a hefty one!)

on the android app when I checked "muli-part downloads" and now it shows as 2 parts in my library.

ZeroToOne

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
May 6, 2017
KS

I don't think so. I've got audiobooks that range between 25 to 30 hours in length in my library and then there's Atlas Shrugged which comes in at a whopping 63 hours. Also, I got the same issue when I tried to break it up into parts.

Audible says the book was downloaded in an older version that they need to update. They put in a ticket and it could be from 1 to 3 days to update on their end.

Sounds like we just have to wait for Audible to do whatever it is they told @mindfulimmortal they were going to do.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.