The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Turn Any Protein Powder into an Ice Cream Like Dessert - Need Feedback on FREEZINda™

James Doyle

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Mar 27, 2017
Tampa, FL
Can you create a viral facebook video, something along the "life hacks" type? Seems very suitable.

Please please please make a better video on your website, yes that type of video famously worked for dropbox, but guess what? Its been done to hell and back since then and you are not dropbox. We need to see this stuff work, we need a video of ice-cream actually being made. Good luck my friend

Do you have a good/favorite life hacks video that I can watch?

I do have a how-to video on the website under the How To section. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

James Doyle

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Mar 27, 2017
Tampa, FL
My target market is women aged 19 to 34, as they eat the most ice cream :) So the packaging is as such.

...because women who like ice cream buy tons of protein powder and make their own ice cream.

...meanwhile guys who go to crossfit gyms with containers of protein just snort it

I actually would ask the original poster this question seriously...

Do you even lift bro?

Can you explain the snorting?

Yes, I try to live a healthy lifestyle. I enjoy working out and cardio! Been working 4-5 days a week since June of 2015. Feel free to PM me and add me on Facebook if you wish :) How long have you been lifting?

Last edited:

James Doyle

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Mar 27, 2017
Tampa, FL
Hot damn I missed this thread!

Why, sunk cost fallacy?

Freezing Linda isn't going to appeal to women, especially Linda, and friends of Linda. (Thread tagged appropriately.)

How is my business associated with the sunk cost fallacy notion?

Can you explain what Freezing Linda is? Are you referring to the song "Linda Ronstadt - Freezing"

Argue

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Oct 1, 2016
NYC
How is my business associated with the sunk cost fallacy notion?

Can you explain what Freezing Linda is? Are you referring to the song "Linda Ronstadt - Freezing"

26068n7.jpg

Ravens_Shadow

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
643%
Oct 2, 2012
Austin, TX
Seriously, is this guy a bot or something?

Locomote

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
362%
Feb 10, 2017
Canada
This will sound strange but hear me out.

Honestly I think this thread is filled with pure gold and almost a must read for anyone planning to launch a product. A true real life example/case study of how not to execute something!

To add, the feedback from everyone on this thread is what really makes it so golden. Mr. Doyle (and anyone else thinking of doing the same) do yourself a favour get a pen and paper, read back through the comments and make a detailed list of every item thats been noted.

Oh.. and Mr. Doyle if the product name isn't the top item on your list then you really can't be helped sir.

Last edited:

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Can you explain the snorting?

Yes, I try to live a healthy lifestyle. I enjoy working out and cardio! Been working 4-5 days a week since June of 2015. Feel free to PM me and add me on Facebook if you wish :) How long have you been lifting?

Question.

Who do you think drinks more protein shakes? Men or women? Why do people drink protein shakes in addition to their meals?

Probably because people in this demographic watch what they eat.

If I find a clean protein, the last thing I want to do is mix it with something else that contains unnatural ingredients and adds carbs or sugars to it.

My shake is mixed with strawberries, blueberries, banana, nuts, almond milk, spinach and wheat grass. I'm not going to put some powder in it that has no nutritional value just to add flavor to it.

I'd venture that hardcore fitness people will eat and drink what's best for them regardless of taste.

And on top of that you want them to pay $4 for no added nutritional value. I think that even if it were free many people would say no thanks.

I think you may live a healthy lifestyle but you are completely missing the mark on your demographic. You should poll a bunch of people who use protein powder regularly and find out their opinions.

This is why people are reacting to this thread in such a manner with jokes and rolling eyes. I fear you are going to lose a lot of money in your current direction.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Can you explain what Freezing Linda is?

People tend to skim words, not read them. Our brain connects the dots using context.

Ths is y undrsntd wht ths sntence meens.

The way you've structured your name, people's brains will tend to default to "Freezing Linda."

I think it's how your labeled it, with the caps and no caps, FREEZINda.

On it's own, FREEZINDA I think is decent. But the lower capped "da" makes the effect worse.

My opinion.

As for the product, I've used protein mixes my entire life -- I might actually use this as a desert replacement, not as a supplement. That might be a better marketing position for your female demographic.

ExaltedLife

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Nov 10, 2015
This thread is fcking hilarious. And props, the way you handle criticism is kind of amazing, which has me also suspecting you are some kind of android.

Anyway. I agree that 'getting stronger' is weak for this. You should use the word 'recovery' instead so you actually appear to be somebody who lifts heavy things and puts them down and then lifts them up again. Like me. WOOT WOOT. Also the advertisement looks like it was designed for somebody (man, woman or child) who would rather play with crayons in their Safe Space rather than pumping iron in the gym.

My suggestion is that you scrap the "James Cartoon" and ESPECIALLY scrap the line "James is tired of drinking protein shakes". Everybody loves protein shakes. If you don't, it's because you're an android and it clogs your inner machinery.

Also, at first glance, I thought: "Never in a million years". Why? Because nobody makes their own ice cream. I know that some fringe hippies might do it, but not anybody I know. Why? Because you can buy ready made ice cream anywhere and everybody knows that making ice cream involves some strange equipment that nobody cares enough to learn how to use. Especially considering the cost to time and effort.

But then I saw your 'how to' and, although a little rough, it made me reconsider. This stuff looks ridiculously easy to make, and unlike Jello, you don't even have to boil water. So scrap the line about Jello, and make the focus of your video the making and eating process. REALLY emphasize how easy it is, and because people don't like to do math, come up with a schedule following that 14 hour rule so people can just follow instructions. For example: Make at 10 pm, eat it after lunch the next day. Or freeze it in the morning, and eat it as your nighttime recover snack. Etc. Etc.

I think this product would be great for men and women, not just women. I already want to try eating it. I mean, even if it's not completely healthy - if it has high protein, I can allow myself to eat ice cream. The 'zero carb' people are a relatively small minority. If you can use some kind of parboiled brown rice carbs instead of sugar, that'd be best - low GI carbs.

So, emphasize recovery, taste, and how easy it is to make. And instead of that god-awful rainbows and sugar advertisement with that pussy named James (haha no offence to the real person), do something more along the lines of the Old Spice commercials with Terry Crews.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hq2SlCja3zo

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Kelly C

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 20, 2014
UK
Ok I am technically your target audience - right age, drink protein shakes, eat ice cream - although have to say I don't eat lots of it because I work out and take care of my health. If I do want ice cream I usually go for an ice cream in the store that has very minimal ingredients or I just eat ice cream and enjoy it. Here in the UK we have a few brands that have minimal ingredients (one has only 4) and low sugar. I have also seen a protein ice cream too. To me, if I am going to have ice cream then I am going to enjoy it.

I also like my protein shakes too - if they were bad tasting I would not be inclined to go to the effort of making them into ice cream - because the whole point of having them for me is for convenience. It isn't convenient to turn it into ice cream to make it more palatable - I'd rather just gulp it down even if it isn't delightful.

So for me I can't see many people - women - wanting to try this product.

Argue

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Oct 1, 2016
NYC
All jokes aside, I have a few opinions about your product and website.

The Website:

17s8if.jpg

1. The font looks tacky. Use a more professional looking font.

2. The picture of the ice cream looks cheap. Replace the whole product image with the actual product and a white backdrop.

For example:

5pn57s.png

*this product looks beautiful and real.

3. Remove the color scheme completely. Remove the snowflakes, too. Looks like a product for children. Your target market are adults.

The Website (Pt. 2):

345lu74.jpg

1. What is the purpose for the puzzle? Again, are you targeting children or adults? Remove this completely. It's tacky and unnecessary.

2. Change the subscribe button to orange. The color orange promotes optimism and action.

3. Remove "Luke 10:27". This is a turn off. Everyone has a different religious view. Keep religion out. This is a business, not a gospel. (No offense to any religions).

The Name:

1. Change your name. Drop it. Freeze-in-the
Is not memorable and causes confusion. This turns people away.

2. Use another name. Use a name that's easily memorable, easy to spell, and sounds fun.

Here's an example:

11ajz3q.jpg

Frotein. Combines frozen and protein together. More logical in my opinion and kinda clever.

Note:
• Re-do your website. Take an artisan approach. Get creative and make your website unique. Not typical.

• Focus on WIIFM (what's in it for me). Instead of stating features, focus your copy on benefits.

• Like @MJ DeMarco said, consider your focus to dessert replacement. Your target market are females after all.

In summary, here's the formula:

artisan approach + female target market + dessert replacement = x

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
So for me I can't see many people - women - wanting to try this product.

How about as a dessert replacement? Like something you have after a healthy meal of chicken and broccoli?

Thread marked NOTABLE, some incredible feedback.

Raaa

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Mar 22, 2017
UK
Wonderful feedback. I'll look at upgrading my hosting speeds in the future. I have an intellectual property attorney that I am working with, so I appreciate all of your feedback regarding retaining sole owner of concept. Can you elaborate on execution, since I have still yet to launch? Thanks :) Really appreciate it!

You'll fail before you even start. Take action on all the feedback on here. You've got a heck of a lot to change.

Site speed is very important and it's not always linked to hosting!

Do you care about page rankings, at all?

If yes, this may interest you...

A recent blog post by Google stated that 'Site Speed' IS a ranking factor. Also, they are now focused on ranking sites based on their mobile experience, now it is up to you to REALLY focus on providing the fastest mobile and computer experience possible. Because if you don't, your competition will.

"To make our results more useful, we've begun experiments to make our index mobile-first... our algorithms will eventually primarily use the mobile version of a site's content to rank pages from that site...." - Google.

Source:

Official Google Webmaster Central Blog: Mobile-first Indexing

Analyze your site performance:
PageSpeed Tools | Google Developers

Slower loading time = increase in webpage abandonment.

About 70% of what everyone else has been saying on here is about User Experience (UX). Gotta have it polished before launch.

P.S wouldn't mind trying a free sample after the ingredients list have been released.

Nik Krohn

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Jun 27, 2014
Utah
Feedback on the website:
  1. Pay for your pop up so it is not branded. If you are in business for yourself, just commit to these small software payments
  2. Change your hero image. Your current hero has a line of text and a play button. How about you put an embedded video on the left, the line of text on the right and a button under it. It will convert better. And a thumbnail will actually make you want to watch the video. It will also allow you to A/B test autoplay (with or without sound) vs non autoplay
  3. Right under your hero, you need to have products that can be added to the cart. You can't go strait to FAQs. It will not work conversion rate wise
  4. You may want to offer your free samples on the home page instead of its own page. Maybe consider that being an exit pop up instead of having an email sign up pop up
That should keep you busy for some time. I can give you more but lets start here

Nik

James Doyle

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Mar 27, 2017
Tampa, FL
Question.

Who do you think drinks more protein shakes? Men or women? Why do people drink protein shakes in addition to their meals?

Probably because people in this demographic watch what they eat.

If I find a clean protein, the last thing I want to do is mix it with something else that contains unnatural ingredients and adds carbs or sugars to it.

My shake is mixed with strawberries, blueberries, banana, nuts, almond milk, spinach and wheat grass. I'm not going to put some powder in it that has no nutritional value just to add flavor to it.

I'd venture that hardcore fitness people will eat and drink what's best for them regardless of taste.

And on top of that you want them to pay $4 for no added nutritional value. I think that even if it were free many people would say no thanks.

I think you may live a healthy lifestyle but you are completely missing the mark on your demographic. You should poll a bunch of people who use protein powder regularly and find out their opinions.

This is why people are reacting to this thread in such a manner with jokes and rolling eyes. I fear you are going to lose a lot of money in your current direction.

Great info! Really appreciate the feedback from everyone, all angles and all vantage points. I think I'll try to use targeted Facebook ads due to the small niche (if there is one). I'm planning on targeting women who like 'ice cream', 'protein powder', and 'cooking' on facebook who are between the ages of 19 and 34. Is that possible? I'll be able to look into Facebook advertising tomorrow or Sunday hopefully.

James Doyle

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Mar 27, 2017
Tampa, FL
This will sound strange but hear me out.

Honestly I think this thread is filled with pure gold and almost a must read for anyone planning to launch a product. A true real life example/case study of how not to execute something!

To add, the feedback from everyone on this thread is what really makes it so golden. Mr. Doyle (and anyone else thinking of doing the same) do yourself a favour get a pen and paper, read back through the comments and make a detailed list of every item thats been noted.

Oh.. and Mr. Doyle if the product name isn't the top item on your list then you really can't be helped sir.

I absolutely agree. This thread provides feedback from all angles, positive as well as harsh, negative, yet truthfully honest feedback. And, that is why I posted this thread. I need this. Unfortunately, the name was already selected. I posted for feedback on my social media channels regarding the name and logo but have yet to receive adequate feedback. Thanks for your post.

James Doyle

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Mar 27, 2017
Tampa, FL
People tend to skim words, not read them. Our brain connects the dots using context.

Ths is y undrsntd wht ths sntence meens.

The way you've structured your name, people's brains will tend to default to "Freezing Linda."

I think it's how your labeled it, with the caps and no caps, FREEZINda.

On it's own, FREEZINDA I think is decent. But the lower capped "da" makes the effect worse.

My opinion.

As for the product, I've used protein mixes my entire life -- I might actually use this as a desert replacement, not as a supplement. That might be a better marketing position for your female demographic.

Love that suggestion. My trademark is a standard character mark trademark so this can be easily changed on my gravure print packaging revisions in 2018. Thank you, -James

James Doyle

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Mar 27, 2017
Tampa, FL
This thread is fcking hilarious. And props, the way you handle criticism is kind of amazing, which has me also suspecting you are some kind of android.

Anyway. I agree that 'getting stronger' is weak for this. You should use the word 'recovery' instead so you actually appear to be somebody who lifts heavy things and puts them down and then lifts them up again. Like me. WOOT WOOT. Also the advertisement looks like it was designed for somebody (man, woman or child) who would rather play with crayons in their Safe Space rather than pumping iron in the gym.

My suggestion is that you scrap the "James Cartoon" and ESPECIALLY scrap the line "James is tired of drinking protein shakes". Everybody loves protein shakes. If you don't, it's because you're an android and it clogs your inner machinery.

Also, at first glance, I thought: "Never in a million years". Why? Because nobody makes their own ice cream. I know that some fringe hippies might do it, but not anybody I know. Why? Because you can buy ready made ice cream anywhere and everybody knows that making ice cream involves some strange equipment that nobody cares enough to learn how to use. Especially considering the cost to time and effort.

But then I saw your 'how to' and, although a little rough, it made me reconsider. This stuff looks ridiculously easy to make, and unlike Jello, you don't even have to boil water. So scrap the line about Jello, and make the focus of your video the making and eating process. REALLY emphasize how easy it is, and because people don't like to do math, come up with a schedule following that 14 hour rule so people can just follow instructions. For example: Make at 10 pm, eat it after lunch the next day. Or freeze it in the morning, and eat it as your nighttime recover snack. Etc. Etc.

I think this product would be great for men and women, not just women. I already want to try eating it. I mean, even if it's not completely healthy - if it has high protein, I can allow myself to eat ice cream. The 'zero carb' people are a relatively small minority. If you can use some kind of parboiled brown rice carbs instead of sugar, that'd be best - low GI carbs.

So, emphasize recovery, taste, and how easy it is to make. And instead of that god-awful rainbows and sugar advertisement with that pussy named James (haha no offence to the real person), do something more along the lines of the Old Spice commercials with Terry Crews.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hq2SlCja3zo

Great feedback! I'd love to provide you with free samples before launch, feel free to PM me if interested.

I am currently using the words post-workout recovery on the back of the packaging. So, this can be easily implemented in a new video.

I will most certainly stress how easy it is to make. Love the Old Spice video recommendation! I'll see what I can come up with soon :)

-James

James Doyle

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Mar 27, 2017
Tampa, FL
You'll fail before you even start. Take action on all the feedback on here. You've got a heck of a lot to change.

Site speed is very important and it's not always linked to hosting!

Do you care about page rankings, at all?

If yes, this may interest you...

A recent blog post by Google stated that 'Site Speed' IS a ranking factor. Also, they are now focused on ranking sites based on their mobile experience, now it is up to you to REALLY focus on providing the fastest mobile and computer experience possible. Because if you don't, your competition will.

"To make our results more useful, we've begun experiments to make our index mobile-first... our algorithms will eventually primarily use the mobile version of a site's content to rank pages from that site...." - Google.

Source:

Official Google Webmaster Central Blog: Mobile-first Indexing

Analyze your site performance:
PageSpeed Tools | Google Developers

Slower loading time = increase in webpage abandonment.

About 70% of what everyone else has been saying on here is about User Experience (UX). Gotta have it polished before launch.

P.S wouldn't mind trying a free sample after the ingredients list have been released.

I actually ran the PageSpeed Tools  |  Google Developers a month ago and the results were fine. I did need to improve on 6 things if I remember correctly. Unfortunately, even with my IT degree I am lacking with the knowledge to resolve those issues. I will hire someone in the future when I have enough funds. Thank you so much for this though, I actually forgot about this!

Feel free to keep in touch and if you want a sample in the future I'll see what I can do :) Thanks! -James

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.