• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Trading Life for a Weekend?
    Build a Business, Build a Life.
    Unleash the Dream.

Become an UNSCRIPTED™Entrepreneur.

UNSCRIPTED™ Entrepreneurship is an entrepreneurial business strategy that unleashes dreams, frees time, and explodes your incomes—but more importantly, it changes your life forever. Make no mistake; this isn’t something you “try”— this is something you live.

FREE Download (Unscripted) FREE Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

FORUM SEARCH

Need answers about entrepreneurship? Search FIRST! More than likely your entrepreneurial topic has already been discussed.
Powered by Google Site Search.

Trading Stocks The Safe Way

Discussion in 'Investing/Trading/Cryptocurrency/Altcoins' started by Big Z, Apr 7, 2017.

1. jpmartin

jpmartin Jedi Master FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,342
    May I suggest you start publishing your trades live via youtube. So you can explain as you trade, remember to insert the right tags on each video (hint: use tubebuddy) and then as you gain more subscribers, you can link to your course. This way you'll have a much larger audience to cater to. Plus people will build their trust in you over time.

I say this from experience, and I use it still.

I don't know why I'm answering this on Christmas day, so have a great one guys. Merry Christmas and Happy hols!

2. Mr.Brandtastic

Mr.Brandtastic Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,088
    The main thing to keep in mind is whether a market is overbought or oversold, whether it's a bull or bear market (essentially the same thing), or whether they are planning any interest rate changes. I mean aside from technical and fundamental analysis, there are really only two type of serious stock or equity investing.

One is low risk, low return, investing in high quality, top 500 companies with great leadership and innovative ideas. What most people would call "blue-chip stocks" simply meaning safe. Especially if they are developing new products or they are under strong leadership. Under bull markets you can make solid returns just investing in the top companies. During a bear market (which you must be well aware of the signs of a coming bear market), you can do well shorting many of the same companies. And yes it will be helpful to know when to buy and sell.

The other is investing in start-ups with unlimited growth potential. Generally these are high risk, high return. However, if you invest with known killers, seasoned executors who have run successful businesses before, it can go down to medium risk, high return. It will never be low risk because it is new and untested. But it is how many people go from wealthy (a few million) to super wealthy, 50+ million category.

Either way make the money first through a business. A true money-making machine. Then dabble in these types of things. Even a 1000% return on $250 investment is only $2,500. But a 1000% return on $25,000 investment is $250,000. Or a $250,000 investment could be 2.5 million dollars. Compound interest maintains your wealth, explosive growth explodes your wealth.

3. jpmartin

jpmartin Jedi Master FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,342
    Sounds easy when you say it like that :)

The problem now is that the public markets are no longer reliable wealth builders, while the private markets exclude almost everybody who isn’t already wealthy. Which is why many are turning to cryptos recently...

Tommo and Mr.Brandtastic like this.
  4. Big Z

Big Z Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $208
    Thanks for the suggestions.

5. Big Z

Rep Bank:
    $208
    Happy New Year Everybody,
    With this new year I would like to do some examples of trades to give anyone interested more information on what I call trading safe. Please understand that with this strategy you will not have as much gains if the positions go up, but at the same time you will not have as much risk either.
    The two basic strategies are the
    1. Married Put Strategy
    2. Collar Strategy
    You can do some of your own research on this on the internet with a simple search (I highly encourage it) to get a better understanding of what they are.
    Basically as I have mentioned in other posts its buying stock and insurance to protect against a down move. Also in the collar strategy you can sell a call to to help pay for the insurance.

Here is an example of a trade (This is just an example, I am not taking this position in real trading) for educational purposes. Using the the market close prices from Friday 12/29/17. This is a married put position.
    AAL currently trading at 52.03
    The Feb 09, 2018 52 Strike Put @ 2.08
    Buying 100 shares and 1 put contract would be an investment of
    5203.00 + 208.00 = 5411.00
    Max Risk until Feb 9 is 211. 211/5411=3.8%
    Regardless of what happens the position cannot lose more than 211 between now and Feb 9.
    I chose this stock because I like the way the chart looks on it, and I feel that it has the potential to move up.
    I will track this position from now to Feb 9 and make whatever adjustments I feel are needed to illustrate (for educational purposes) how I would trade it. (Again I am not trading this in a real account).
    If you guys have questions please ask and I will try to answer to the best of my ability.

Thanks
    Z

6. Big Z

Rep Bank:
    $208
    No adjustment today just a recap of where it sits now.
    Stock Price = 52.99
    Options Price = .70
    Total 53.69
    Profit/Loss -42.00 If exited today at those prices, but the position is still on.

7. Big Z

Rep Bank:
    $208
    Making an Adjustment Here. Selling the Feb 2, 55.00 Call for 1.44 lowering my cost basis to 52.67. I still hold the 52 Feb 9 Put , so my risk is now down to 67.00 and If I get called out at 55 i will make 233.00
    on Feb 2. That would be a 110% on my risk and a 4.3% return on my capital invested. In about 30 Days. Worst case scenario I lose 67.00 dollars now and if the option expires worthless under 55.00 I still have a week left to make another adjustment or just exit.

8. Big Z

Rep Bank:
    $208
    AAL closed on Friday at 58.06. Still have about 2 weeks for the call option to expire. If it stays above 55 I get called out and have a realized profit of 233.00. Looks like that is the likely scenario which is okay by me. Then I can move on to the next low risk opportunity. I will keep this updated if I make any adjustments. My risk on this trade was never more than 211.00 and now stands at only 67 worst case scenario.

9. Big Z

Rep Bank:
    $208
    Quick update. The call on AAL that i sold expired worthless. My cost basis on the position is 52.67 and I still own the 52 strike puts which expire this week. Today AAL closed at 49.78, but since I have the right to sell at 52 I really would only lose 67.00, if I chose to exercise the option. As of right now My plan is to hold to see what happens later this week. Either I will make another adjustment or exit out of the trade and move on to another.
    A quick point, with the recent sell off, using this strategy has kept the money safe without having to worry about taking a big hit to the account.

10. Big Z

Rep Bank:
    $208
    Update: I exercised the put option on Friday on this trade and closed out the stock for 52.00 with a tiny loss of 67.00. I will be putting on another trade for educational purposes sometime later today or this week.

11. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $265,259
    Admin Post
    Thanks for posting and the transparency!

12. Big Z

Rep Bank:
    $208
    Thanks MJ for the comment. Doing my best to give value here to the community.
    For tomorrow the new trade will be on BAC (Bank of America). Again I want to make it clear that I am NOT taking these trades in my real account. I am only showing them here for education only. However I am making sure that whatever fill I post is realistic based on the market prices.
    BAC close at 31.12 Given that, My limit price for tomorrow will be 31.20, if we trade below that price I will assume that the trade was filled at 31.20
    In addition I will assume the purchase of the 31.00 strike March 23 expiry Put option for a price of 1.15.
    total cost of the trade will be 31.20 + 1.15 = 32.35
    Right to sell at 31.00
    Max Risk 1.35 or 135.00 per 100 shares. 4.17%
    I will update as the position develops.
    Thanks
    Z