The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Too many options? (Advice needed )

Desolation Row

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Nov 16, 2022
Austria
Hello Fastlane Forum,

I need your advice, as it feels like I got caught up in options and action faking. I can't decide what I should do.

I work in an office for architecture since October last year as my main job
Before that, I had a freelance business for architectural visualization (during university) but decided to shut down cause I couldn't handle the requirements of my clients anymore, my work shifted from visualization to creating multimedia and web services for some clients, so that's what I still do irregularly at the moment. At the moment the costs of running this small business is higher than the profits so the bills are eating up my earnings from my main job.

1. My plan before I read MJ's books was to start my own architecture office: The biggest one is, that I need to work there for another 1.5 years before I can get licensed and start my own office. No after some months of consideration, I still think that this would be a viable plan although I'm not sure how to scale it and go Fastlane.
2. My main problem at the moment is that I really struggle with the money I get from my main job, so I thought maybe I could push my multimedia services a bit more in the meantime, but somehow that seems like something not really compatible with my long-term goal.

3. I started a project developing and Selling tools and Accessories for Musicians (There's an execution thread in the INSIDERS section of the forum)
I really enjoy doing it, but I think it will take at least some more months to get profits (if ever). So it's more of a long-term game. In every case, I would like to keep working on this.

Now I figured out for me that I have these options:

A. Work my main job for the next 1.5 years and concentrate on my Audio Tools Project in my free time and hope to get some money from that. Start architecture office in two years.

B. Work my main job and try to build up my web & multimedia freelancing project and start my architecture office in two years.

C. Work my main job, build up my web & multimedia freelance to a full-time business, and ditch architecture altogether.

D. Work my main job and start to offer architecture-related resources (Courses, Lessons, Coaching, and Ebooks for clients). Start architecture office in two years and offer more architecture-related resources.

E. Work main job, build Architectural visualization resources, and sell those.

F. Do something else.

Thankful for every opinion/Input I can get.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
You need to go nicher.

I'd choose option D.

Focus on architecture and while you're doing that, gain other skills that would help with your career;

sales & closing, marketing & branding, lead generation & content creation, leadership & management.

Then in 2 years time, you can hit the road running with your own business.

nopalmer

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Feb 7, 2023
Option D sounds good to me too and I also agree with what was said about learning about digital marketing along the way. For example, you can start offering your course on Udemy or something, and in time develop your own website that you'll be able to promote properly. Yes, definitely D could be a way to go. But good luck no matter what you decide!

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
629%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
1. My plan before I read MJ's books was to start my own architecture office: The biggest one is, that I need to work there for another 1.5 years before I can get licensed and start my own office.
Why’s that?

Desolation Row

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Nov 16, 2022
Austria
Option D sounds good to me too and I also agree with what was said about learning about digital marketing along the way. For example, you can start offering your course on Udemy or something, and in time develop your own website that you'll be able to promote properly. Yes, definitely D could be a way to go. But good luck no matter what you decide!
@nopalmer and @100k
Thanks for your time and help!! I really appreciate it.

It's incredible how helpful it is to hear opinions from people not involved in my overthinking and analysis paralysis.
I also think that option D would not be the worst decision in the long run.
Why’s that?
It's a legal requirement in my country. You need three years of working experience AFTER finishing university. (I have more than 10 years of experience, but sadly that doesn't count. That's a bummer... Only one year will be credited, so that's one year and 8 months left).

If you have finished the three years you are allowed to take an exam and only after that, you are allowed to work on your own....

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
629%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
It's a legal requirement in my country. You need three years of working experience AFTER finishing university. (I have more than 10 years of experience, but sadly that doesn't count. That's a bummer... Only one year will be credited, so that's one year and 8 months left).

If you have finished the three years you are allowed to take an exam and only after that, you are allowed to work on your own....

But you worked at my architecture firm for 4 years. I remember it. Yeah, you totally did.

Fake roadblock demolished.

Now get to work!

Or at least hire someone to be your partner who is "allowed" to get into the business.

You can run anything. Bureaucratic rules are limited by who's name is on the paper. You don't have a buddy who's been an architect for 3 years? You can say "hey lets partner until I can open my own firm I'll pay you x% just let me run everything it's free money for you".

How do you have to have experience before opening a business? You can't have manager-managed businesses? You can't have subsidiaries? You can't buy a shelf company registered as an architecture firm? Do shareholders of a corporation that owns architecture firms all have to be licensed and experienced? Or do just the employees practicing architecture have to be experienced? Then just F*cking hire some people who have 3 years employment history.

I can run a law firm. I've never taken more than a community college business law class. I would find an old lawyer to hire, and then I would get to work building a company. Rules are for the middle class. I don't need a degree to employ people. I don't need 10 years experience to be the defacto-boss. You can just HIRE people. If they need to be on the board of directors you just make a company, write the bylaws to say whatever, sign a contract with another company you created that says that company gets to make all the decisions and money, and then get to work.

Every single obstacle I see I assume it is easily circumvented 100% of the time and I'm usually right. Some industries are harder than others and need some more creative angles.

Now, would I go give heart surgery? No, I would F*ck it up and that would hurt people. That is wrong. But gay rules are gay and should be circumvented. You have 10 years experience, go get to work.

Desolation Row

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Nov 16, 2022
Austria
But you worked at my architecture firm for 4 years. I remember it. Yeah, you totally did.

Fake roadblock demolished.

Now get to work!

Or at least hire someone to be your partner who is "allowed" to get into the business.

You can run anything. Bureaucratic rules are limited by who's name is on the paper. You don't have a buddy who's been an architect for 3 years? You can say "hey lets partner until I can open my own firm I'll pay you x% just let me run everything it's free money for you".

How do you have to have experience before opening a business? You can't have manager-managed businesses? You can't have subsidiaries? You can't buy a shelf company registered as an architecture firm? Do shareholders of a corporation that owns architecture firms all have to be licensed and experienced? Or do just the employees practicing architecture have to be experienced? Then just F*cking hire some people who have 3 years employment history.

I can run a law firm. I've never taken more than a community college business law class. I would find an old lawyer to hire, and then I would get to work building a company. Rules are for the middle class. I don't need a degree to employ people. I don't need 10 years experience to be the defacto-boss. You can just HIRE people. If they need to be on the board of directors you just make a company, write the bylaws to say whatever, sign a contract with another company you created that says that company gets to make all the decisions and money, and then get to work.

Every single obstacle I see I assume it is easily circumvented 100% of the time and I'm usually right. Some industries are harder than others and need some more creative angles.

Now, would I go give heart surgery? No, I would F*ck it up and that would hurt people. That is wrong. But gay rules are gay and should be circumvented. You have 10 years experience, go get to work.
Hey @Johnny boy, very interesting perspective. I think the one thing that would work would be to team up with someone who is licensed.

I'll find someone who is able/willing to do this and check that out with a lawyer. Will report back as soon as I have news!

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
629%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Hey @Johnny boy, very interesting perspective. I think the one thing that would work would be to team up with someone who is licensed.

I'll find someone who is able/willing to do this and check that out with a lawyer. Will report back as soon as I have news!
Lawyers are funny, the way you pitch it to them will determine whether or not they say it's okay. You need a Saul Goodman lawyer.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.