The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

**This thread will change the way you think.**

Black_Mamba_427

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jan 6, 2022
You and I think differently.

When I buy expensive things (like cars), I use the shit out of them. The last thing on my mind is appreciation of value. The more beat it and less desired by fanboys, the more I feel I got my own value out of it.

You are right, with luxury watches, cars, boats... NFT PFP - all signal something about your success.

Yet in the last decade or two, not once have I gotten business or lost business because of the cars I drove (from Honda Civic, BMWs, to 911, Range Rover etc.)

You should not be buying super or luxury cars until you ARE loaded. And ironically, when you get there... you may no longer want that flex. Or the attention.
I buy things because I like them and use them, but if something is depreciating like a brick falling out of the sky, I will sell it, especially if I'm not using it. If I dont use something as much as I should because I'm busy with other things, but it is appreciating - then why sell it? Even if it stagnates, it costs nothing, so why sell it?

I guess it depends on the industry you are in and how you are selling yourself. I dont know what you do, but I'd hazard a guess that your job isn't to do with brand, self image or status? If you were working as an IT contractor for instance, nobody knows what car you drive unless you're making small talk with someone in the office. If you have a TikTok account or you're an influencer on instagram, then you will probably have much more success if you have a Mclaren Senna in your garage.

For me, if I lived in a council house and never ventured out of my bedroom and took the bus around - I wouldn't attract 99% of the clients I have. I do lots of fun things and post about it and it's a good conversation starter and I share mutual interests with a lot of people - so it works well for me and I can gain business from it. Not to mention, if I'm the brand, I can write it all off against my taxes, which you wouldn't be able to do if you worked in say web development.

I mistyped in my OP by saying "Family/friends assume you are loaded and expect handouts" I say "assume" because unless you are openly talking about your money/income/wealth/bank accounts/portfolios etc - then they can only assume you are loaded, they don't actually know for a fact. Obviously you can go out and finance a £250K car, but you'd still need a hefty down payment and decent income, unless you lived in a shack or a rented house. It would be dumb mind you, but possible.

I'm using a supercar as 'one of' my drivers / long term goals. If I get in a situation where I have the money to buy one comfortably and have achieved my other goals and decide I don't want one, well then I've just saved £200K+. It's a win win situation.

Anyway, cheers for the thread. Enjoying reading it and you sharing your wisdom.

DavidePaco00

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jul 27, 2022

Here are notes on things that aren't obvious but will change the way you think about life. An eclectic collection.​

• Your habits are what drives your mood, and mood is a filter through which you experience life. Happiness is not some fantom state of joy, it is how your mood filters experiences of life.
  • The past is not some unchangeable reality, like a video recording. Your perception of the past changes as you change, and so do your memories. The past you recall is not the same as how you will perceive those same events in the future.
  • You don't even know what will make you happy. We act and make plans (like buying a Lambo) but those are a mere reflection of the best version of the past or now. We have no idea what other available outcomes are in the future. We can't picture things that do not yet exist. And since we can't predict the future outcome of our actions, we can only focus on now. Don't settle on the best version of the past, the future can be even better.
  • Is fear a sign you are on the wrong path? No, quite the opposite. This hits close to home for all entrepreneurs. Fear tells you that you are on the right path because you are moving towards something you want and like. The sign for being on a bad path is indifference. Next time you are fearful, remember you are moving towards something you like.
  • Your thoughts may actually not be your own. Social conditioning can make us believe things that weren't our thoughts or beliefs in the first place. Examine your beliefs and reflect on their origin, then decide.
  • No emotion is permanent, your anger, happiness, joy - all of it. I hope you've developed enough awareness just by being alive to know that even worst things that happened, will pass. Remember this quote: "this too shall pass".

What can you add to this thread? What surprising mind twist did you learn?

Attachment to things and life in itself is the route of our suffering. To be free and let our life flow, we need to accept that this human experience is just a moment of passage before the energy that generates us flows to other forms.

" Who are You ? " really means " Who do You think You are?"

I know it sounds too much spiritual or phylosophical. But when You deeply accept that You're going to die, You just don't have anything to lose anymore. Ego death is truly a liberating feeling, because You realize how in reality we're all the same thing, and our values are just different ways to interpret reality.

I'll stop here because otherwse I'd go off topic and I'll give You an headache, but I invite everyone who reads this to reflect on this, and finding their own answers.

Cheers

Davide

DavidePaco00

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jul 27, 2022
One resource that really helped me (after doing it enough times for it to stick), was tony robbins personal power II which I think a few people here and even Tim Ferris have brought up.

There's quite a few good distinctions, like the power of focus, watching your energy and state, but one that really sunk deep and started to change me was reframing downturns and "failures" in life as challenges and checkpoints.

It's a cliche, but for anything you do, it's something you chose to do, and that thing gave you feedback. If you're smart, if you refuse to get down, you can listen to and observe what you're getting from your actions, and then change what you're doing until you get your desired outcome.

One I'm facing right now is with cold calls.
The first thought that popped to my mind after my 9th catty receptionist was "Damn, am I only going to run into receptionists? I'm NEVER going to be able to make this business work :( "
Before I could even finish the frowny face emote in my mind, I caught myself, and I changed it.
Before I even knew it, that line transformed into:
"Damn, I'm really running into a lot of receptionists, what are some good ways or techniques to win them to my side and get in touch with decision makers, reliably?
If I can do just that, I'll be swimming in sales calls."

It sounds corny, sounded corny to me the first few times I encountered it, but when I had a hard month awhile back and was sick and tired of being sick tired, I decided to just give it a go and the rest is history.

Martial Arts like BJJ give You the same feeling. They improve you problem solving capacity like crazy.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

pappaishere

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Feb 8, 2020
Australia
This thread is full of wisdom.

THANK YOU SO MUCH.

pappaishere

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Feb 8, 2020
Australia
I'm reading and reading and re-reading again and I think this thread came at the right time in my life.

My problem with EVERYTHING is that I commit myself to something for like 3-4 months really hard and then something inside me vanishes, I feel like that I am not good enough or bullshit like this and throw the towel.

An example is Kick Boxing, I trained myself 5 days a week after work or at lunchtime, and after 4 months the building closed for the covid. Instead of replacing this habit, I quit because "the gym closed".

NOT THIS TIME. David Goggins speaks good wisdom about discipline; I am on the pathway to improving mine.

When I have no willingness to go working out, I go even faster to the gym because the discomfort will help me for making the habit and sharpen my discipline.

Now I want to apply that to my business, and my life in general. Don't quit.

Last edited:

DavidePaco00

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jul 27, 2022
I'm reading and reading and re-reading again and I think this thread came at the right time in my life.

My problem with EVERYTHING is that I commit myself to something for like 3-4 months really hard and then something inside me vanishes, I feel like that I am not good enough or bullshit like this and throw the towel.

An example is Kick Boxing, I trained myself 5 days a week after work or at lunchtime, and after 4 months the building closed for the covid. Instead of replacing this habit, I quit because "the gym closed".

NOT THIS TIME. David Goggins speaks good wisdom about discipline; I am on the pathway to improving mine.

When I have no willingness to go working out, I go even faster to the gym because the discomfort will help me for making the habit and sharpen my discipline.

I know the feeling perfectly.

You need to focus on consistency rather than intensity.

If You know that by devoting 100 % of Your energy to something You're going to finish it early start by to doing less everyday , but do it constantly. Don't go balls to the wall because You'll eventually reach a plateau, and You'e not going to progress anaymore because You gave it all in the beginning.

Build Your discipline, because in the end, it's what is going to keep You on track. Discipline and momentum are gong to By the way, please, on't make excuses. If You really want to show that You follow our advice, return to the kickboxing gym. Nobody's going to judge You if You were absent for a few moths.

Start by joining kickboxing again. Show us that You can do this, before starting any another project. Othewise It would have been better if I'd kept my mouth shutted.

Cheers

Davide

DavidePaco00

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jul 27, 2022

Also, You need to relize that anything worth pursuing is going to take time, so it is better that You start planning long term about Your goals. This is where small effort everyday becomes essential.

pappaishere

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Feb 8, 2020
Australia
I know the feeling perfectly.

You need to focus on consistency rather than intensity.

If You know that by devoting 100 % of Your energy to something You're going to finish it early start by to doing less everyday , but do it constantly. Don't go balls to the wall because You'll eventually reach a plateau, and You'e not going to progress anaymore because You gave it all in the beginning.

Build Your discipline, because in the end, it's what is going to keep You on track. Discipline and momentum are gong to By the way, please, on't make excuses. If You really want to show that You follow our advice, return to the kickboxing gym. Nobody's going to judge You if You were absent for a few moths.

Start by joining kickboxing again. Show us that You can do this, before starting any another project. Othewise It would have been better if I'd kept my mouth shutted.
Yep, that's exactly what I will build in my life, consistent rather than intensity.

I'm following the advice of my PT, that said that is 100x better to go to the gym 1 year 3 times per week rather than 3 months every day.

And for replying to the return to the kick-boxing gym is not possible yet, I lived for 24 years in Italy and this year I F*cked off everything and took a flight to Australia.

I am currently in a remote area to extend my visa and there is barely a gym here, so I hired a Personal Trainer (under the advice of my friend) and start calisthenic.

Why calisthenic and not the classic lifting weight?

For a long-term vision; I will return back to kick-boxing in the next few years but now I can't, there isn't a gym for that here (I'm living in a small town of 3,000 residents lol) so I opted to focus and work out on something that makes me stretched and shredded.

Anyway, I am here to improve myself, my English (Grammarly extension on Google Chrome makes miracles lol) and conquer myself.

I chose on purpose this city and this country.

DavidePaco00

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jul 27, 2022
Yep, that's exactly what I will build in my life, consistent rather than intensity.

I'm following the advice of my PT, that said that is 100x better to go to the gym 1 year 3 times per week rather than 3 months every day.

And for replying to the return to the kick-boxing gym is not possible yet, I lived for 24 years in Italy and this year I F*cked off everything and took a flight to Australia.

I am currently in a remote area to extend my visa and there is barely a gym here, so I hired a Personal Trainer (under the advice of my friend) and start calisthenic.

Why calisthenic and not the classic lifting weight?

For a long-term vision; I will return back to kick-boxing in the next few years but now I can't, there isn't a gym for that here (I'm living in a small town of 3,000 residents lol) so I opted to focus and work out on something that makes me stretched and shredded.

Anyway, I am here to improve myself, my English (Grammarly extension on Google Chrome makes miracles lol) and conquer myself.

I chose on purpose this city and this country.
Dimmelo prima che sei italiano ! hahahhaha

Di dove sei?

( For anyone wondering, I've discovered that he's italian)

pappaishere

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Feb 8, 2020
Australia
When two Italian people meet each other, online or in real life, is EXACTLY like Griffin represents it. Many movements with the hands and an irrational excitement are generated randomly lol

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.