The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I can’t make sense of this. I’m sorry I asked.

Unless you live in an oppressive dictatorship you generally have a choice in careers. As in, you agree or disagree with the terms of your employment. Therefore, I NEVER feel sorry for workers that bitch about their job and want more pay.

There. I fixed that typo for you.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I am a little late on a subtopic, but it was always my opinion as a worker that if the bosses just paid people more, they'd get more. When I was in position to test my own hypothesis, here's what happened.

I hand picked people. Invested in them. Sent them to school. Paid them 50% over the market for what essentially was a retail clerk position.

Know what I got?

Nothing.

I got the same absent minded, don't care about the company's assets, call in sick when you have the sniffles, mistakes, laziness, and ultimately uncaring greedy self focused attitude that you would get from the run of the mill McDonald's worker.

The business suffered and bled cash, because my labor cost was too high but I got literally nothing in exchange for the increased SG&A.

So, there came a day when I had to restructure it to stay alive. What happened to the fat cat employees? I canned a few of them, and the others left. Funny, when they left they were pushed into a marketplace that paid a fair market wage, and every single one of them took a job that paid market wage (around 40%-50% less). So they could have stayed, but because my failed liberal experiment set unrealistic expectations for their incomes, they couldn't adjust to the dichotomy.

It would have made a great masters paper, but it would have been flunked by academia that still wants the McDonald's worker to make $15/hour.

This isn't a theory any longer. I did it. It crashed and burned, just like every other time it has been tried. There's a reason markets find an equilibrium, and the day it is cheaper for me to run a machine than hire an employee to flip a burger, the only one that loses is the employee that demanded too much until the ROI just made no sense any more.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Lol is this guy serious? Not to be a dick but i’m definitely definitely definitely not going to change my replies in order to cater to your reading comfort lol. I’m making contributions to this thread that many find useful. I’m sorry you don’t. I mean I don’t particularly find any of your replies useful, so I simply scroll past them. But if it’s helpful, the board has an ‘ignore’ feature that makes it so you don’t see the replies of any user... one that i’ll be taking advantage of right now.

View attachment 21791

(Just click on the user’s profile)

Certain things may not be useful to you, but many people message me and tell me they are useful to them.

As far as your posts are concerned... Some of the time I am legitimately impressed, and it takes quite a bit to impress me. Other times... I wonder why a smart guy like you posts such stupid shit.

Nevertheless... You would be wise to not only unignore @GPM but follow him.

Just trust me on that one.

Last edited:

MTEE1985

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
425%
Jun 12, 2018
Arizona
@Kak when was your mindset shift in business? I’ve read through this: GOLD! - Where I have been this time... and why I'm famous at Wells Fargo

And this: https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...-went-from-employee-to-self-sustenance.61838/
and you already had the think big mindset. Did you have a mentor that led you down this path? Or have you just always been that way? As has been discussed here before, some of the worlds foremost thinkers and leaders essentially knew deep down that they wanted to accomplish big things, then had the fortitude to follow through. The majority of people, it would seem, need a massive mindset shift to even think in hundreds or thousands, let alone millions (or more). Very interested to hear your take on it, and when your shift occurred if you didn’t have the mindset initially.

P.S. if anybody reading this has not read the gold threads above, stop what you’re doing and read them now.

Last edited:

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
As far as your posts are concerned... Some of the time I am legitimately impressed, and it takes quite a bit to impress me. Other times... I wonder why a smart guy like you posts such stupid sh*t.

Nevertheless... You would be wise to not only unignore @GPM but follow him.

Just trust me on that one.

Yea I agree that a few of my posts are impulsive. Like the Mufasa one lol. Stuff like that is often unneeded then I realize it later. But I can’t figure out how to go back and delete them... that one specifically I tried to delete.

But fine, point taken.

And I’ll also unignore based off your suggestion, but a ‘follow’... time will tell. I don’t follow many people on here, so let’s see.

But the last one I went back and that video is really good imo. He’s talking about simple vs complex jobs and how the simple jobs are the “step by step ones” and the complex jobs are more like “yo you gotta figure this out yourself bruh” and it goes back to the handholding conversation. Like in a complex job the demands are ALWAYS changing. You CANT have a step by step. I dunno, I literally thought about that video all night after that kid posted it in another thread. Sorry if no one else enjoyed it. I did. Like... a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
It would have made a great masters paper, but it would have been flunked by academia that still wants the McDonald's worker to make $15/hour.
This is another one of those posts that I’m saving right to my Evernote. Very good insights here.

In terms of academics.. It would depend on what kind of journal you’re talking about. Economists would eat that up, believe it or not. Economics is an extremely libertarian, free-market-loving field. The battle cry of Economists is “laissez faire” (generally.) But Academia as a whole, especially soft sciences like sociology (which are literally built upon the work of Karl Marx) would bitch about it. A good academic book that supports what you’re saying is Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us. I have a really good video summary of the research and different studies, which basically found much of what you’re saying, but I’ll spare everyone ;) for anyone interested search “RSA drive” first result. Edit: ehh... f--- it here it is

Last edited:

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
You highlighted a BIG threat. You think someone with bigger pockets could come in and make you irrelevant. You have issues fulfilling orders. These are the problems that separate big business from small business.

Ouch. I could become irrelevant in a minute by the big boy players. It always seems I have to work harder and be smarter in order to even compete with the big players. I HAVE to be better on every level just because I'm not big. I want to evolve to be the big business. That is a topic that is too often glossed over here.

I’m hopefully going to use the same model for a monopolistic buyout of the two largest suppliers of a commodity in the same industry. One has a 60 percent market share and a website that was last copyrighted in 2007 and trust me, it looks like it was made in the 90s.

Interesting. I have fears of being strong armed into a monopolistic buyout. I have visions of Brando (in The Godfather) making me an offer I can't refuse. This is a topic that I can't find much on. Feel free to dive in to analyze this from the "little guys" perspective. How WOULD your takeover targets fight back against you @Kak ? THIS is the stuff I need to know when I enter the marketplace - this is not how to build a business, but how to SURVIVE the battle. I can build a great business. I have serious doubts about survival, however.

Empowering employees? You mean like a labor union that destroys leadership and takes leverage from the people that should have it?

This is another topic of great interest that I have not seen addressed. IF I did have a very successful company, my employees would be one more potential issue. Fascinating, to say the least. Where can I find insight on how to "fight and win the war" in business. Everyone concentrates on how to start a business or the mechanics of a business. I am much more concerned about the 800 lb. gorilla that I know is out there.

The fortunes of Bezos and Musk PROVE that your traditional customer isn’t the only customer... The other is the market.

Hmmmm. How would I market my company to YOU, for example, in order to beef up quickly and be able to hold my own, in a world of 800 lb. gorillas?

No company that oppresses the hell out of employees will have employees for long.

You might be surprised. In my hometown, people are on WAIT LISTS for a decade to be a janitor at the major employer. It's an easy job and it's very secure. Even though they are greatly oppressed, they are glad to have that job.

So rather than treating people right, and having a bunch of veterans that can get thousands out of their customers.. they just have a constant stream of frustrated newbies who can’t close and need constant attention.

I have lost several good clients recently because they figured out that I can be replaced, and they can save a buck. That's never a good thing. They want to pigeonhole me into being a commodity to do their bidding quickly and happily. Did I mention the "for a pittance" part of that? Any resistance and they fire you. I am working very hard on my plan B which will eliminate them from my vocabulary - but for the time being - they always have, and always will, treat people like crap. It is what it is and it isn't going to change. The supply of idiots that will tolerate this type of abuse never runs out.

What causes me the most stress and anxiety these days is looking at the damn bank balance. It's a big distraction from what I need to be doing. I'll start a "getting funded" thread soon.

Ding, ding, ding! Winner! That's what I need to get me from point A to B and C. A detailed two page layout is all that I need - not an entire course. Just a how to fund massive growth, and an exit strategy for either myself or my funders. I'm leaning towards having the funders exit - I like business.

JonnyC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
463%
Jan 23, 2014
Canada
Ouch. I could become irrelevant in a minute by the big boy players. It always seems I have to work harder and be smarter in order to even compete with the big players. I HAVE to be better on every level just because I'm not big. I want to evolve to be the big business. That is a topic that is too often glossed over here.

Interesting. I have fears of being strong armed into a monopolistic buyout. I have visions of Brando (in The Godfather) making me an offer I can't refuse. This is a topic that I can't find much on. Feel free to dive in to analyze this from the "little guys" perspective. How WOULD your takeover targets fight back against you @Kak ? THIS is the stuff I need to know when I enter the marketplace - this is not how to build a business, but how to SURVIVE the battle. I can build a great business. I have serious doubts about survival, however.

Not Kak, but I thought I could help provide an individual perspective since I'm going through this right now.

I've built a profitable brand in a growing market, but I found through former employees and industry-specific investor meetings that next year Amazon is coming into our niche with its own brand. This is a significant issue as Amazon represents a large chunk of our revenue.

Another risk factor for us is that our category has low entry barriers so it's usually a matter of sourcing the right components in the right configuration, which isn't very difficult, to copy our products.

A few months ago I put together a financing project with a bank to get a six-figure loan to fund new product development, marketing initiatives, and hiring staff. The idea was to develop innovative new products faster than competitors could copy our marketing and use speed to market as our advantage.

Just after we received approval for the loan however, one of my contacts in the industry reached out as he'd recently had his company acquired by a firm consolidating all the small brands in the industry. Their idea is to centralize the brands' operations and take a collaborative approach to strategies for different sales channels, price points, marketing activities, product categories, etc.

I've decided to go with the "buyout" firm instead of retaining full control of my own company primarily because I see that now that private equity & venture capital firms are getting involved in my industry, there will be a market consolidation. The consolidation is already happening in the US and it's for sure going to happen in Canada.

I want to be on the side with the deepest pockets since the only lasting advantages from one company to the next are brand story, marketing, and product development speed, again taking into account the lack of IP protection/entry barriers in my specific niche.

Another factor is a looming risk of a Canadian recession in the next couple of years (high home vacancy, high debt to income ratios, almost inverted yield curve) plus increasing interest rates right now which means company debt will get more expensive. This makes an equity investment much more interesting than traditional debt financing.

Not sure what kind of industry you're in, but if it's anything capital intensive like manufacturing or distribution or ecommerce, taking the partnership/buyout route may make the most sense if you can.

People often to point to a few companies that have grown to insane valuations without outside funding, but these are usually in industries that are capital efficient with great cash flows. Compare the capital efficiency/cash flow situation of:
  1. a SaaS or service business where someone pays for a month and then you deliver that service over a month and hosting costs after the service has been paid for;
  2. OR a manufacturing/ecommerce business where you put down 30% for inventory 3 months before delivery, then pay the balance on shipping. Then you wait 1 to 4 weeks for shipping, then you start selling and collecting payments, then wait 3-5 business days for those deposits to hit your account. The situation is even worse if you sell via distributors, who expect net 30 to net 90 payment terms.
If you're in the second bucket, it will be MUCH harder to bootstrap and remain completely independent. You will have to reinvest profits (forcing you to be profitable from day 1) or take on debt (aka. "lose your house if you F*ck up" risk).

If it may help you, I asked some hard questions during the process:
  • What truly defensible competitive advantages do I have?
  • How long will it take Amazon to copy my product? What happens to my company when they do?
  • How much money would it take for a completely random person to start a competing company?
  • How many new companies are starting up in this space vs the yearly growth of the market overall?
  • Are my customers better served by me staying fully in control of the company and growing slowly?
  • Is the world better off if my company was larger and reached more people, aka delivered more value, or stayed smaller and independent?
  • What are other big companies in the industry doing in my category? Are they "diversifying" into my niche?
  • Is the valuation I'm being offered competitive based on the market rate?
  • What are my odds of failure if I stay independent? What are the consequences if I fail on my own?
  • What are my odds of failure within a larger organization? What are the consequences if we fail?
  • How fragmented is our industry? Will it stay fragmented? Why or why not?
Sorry for the short novel, I hope this was useful. I really recommend that you read The Founder's Dilemma.

TLDR: founders who favor Wealth instead of Control on average have a ~50% more valuable equity stake, despite it resulting in a smaller percentage total ownership.

MTEE1985

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
425%
Jun 12, 2018
Arizona
Typically not a video guy and politics aside, I couldn’t help but notice how much the message behind this:

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-hIc_epqfI0

(If you don’t feel like watching the message is: Don’t aspire to be good at something, aspire to be the best.)

Sounds like this:
There is NO ONE more credible than me, literally on the planet, to run my government business.

I see building the biggest businesses I possibly can as my duty. It's my responsibility. I am blessed with the propensity to work on things like this and I plan to use it.

The world only gets changed by people that try to change it.

The quotes above, to me, are another response to avoiding a buyout or being threatened by a competitor. Notice how @Kak isn’t saying he’s the best on this forum, or in Texas, or even in the U.S. He is the best in the world. He isn’t saying it as some internet bravado, but because he has put in the hours/weeks/years into developing into that. It’s what the whole thread as well as that commercial is about. Be the best in the world at what you do, and pity the competitors that try to take your market share.

Alternatively, why not be the one doing the buying out? All the businessmen I met in my past career were in this basket, whether in timber, oil, tech, wine, you name it. They did the buying out, they took the smaller companies that did things well but were stagnant, took them over and expanded.

Amazon is always an interesting one because of sheer size but my opinion is there are some areas to worry and some where I wouldn’t. As a prime example (see what I did there?) I decided to give their diapers a try for my 10 month old. Money back guarantee, why not? I’m sure it worried Pampers/P&G they were getting into this area but the diapers were absolute garbage. So now I’m back to spending twice as much on diapers with oPampers. Point of that overly simplified story is this: if you are the best at what you do then nobody can touch you. You might even end up being the Amazon of your industry.

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Not sure what kind of industry you're in, but if it's anything capital intensive like manufacturing or distribution or ecommerce, taking the partnership/buyout route may make the most sense if you can.

That's what I'm worried about. I don't want to make the decision to join a much bigger player or be crushed. I very much want to have my company and make money from it. In thinking about it, I'm so adamant about someone running over me that I think I'd sacrifice my product for zero profit before I'd let them take it over. I've been in some extremely competitive businesses in the past, and I've learned how to survive as the underdog. I work harder and longer, but that's how the game is played. Now that I have a product that could be revolutionary, I'm not going to be the little kid on the playground that loses his lunch money to the bully - anymore. It's definitely a dilemma.

• How long will it take Amazon to copy my product? What happens to my company when they do?
  • How much money would it take for a completely random person to start a competing company?
  • How many new companies are starting up in this space vs the yearly growth of the market overall?
  • Are my customers better served by me staying fully in control of the company and growing slowly?
  • Is the world better off if my company was larger and reached more people, aka delivered more value, or stayed smaller and independent?
  • What are other big companies in the industry doing in my category? Are they "diversifying" into my niche?
  • What are my odds of failure if I stay independent? What are the consequences if I fail on my own?
  • What are my odds of failure within a larger organization? What are the consequences if we fail?
Sorry for the short novel, I hope this was useful. I really recommend that you read The Founder's Dilemma.

Short novel? No - you hit every raw nerve I have. Precisely. This is SO good that I'm printing it out and using it as a blueprint to map out my strategy. When I can deal with every one of these points, I know I will be ready to face anything. Thank YOU for the book recommendation as well - it's on the top of my list! If it helps resolve all the items you listed, it could well be the best book I've ever bought.

Being somewhat paranoid, I view business like this: Business is like competing in a triatalon. Only the best and the most prepared ones are going to survive. Fine. I can deal with that. I've trained all my life. Oh - but one more thing - after the half way mark, there are going to be snipers trying to take you out. By the time you know where they are, it could be too late. You could be dead. If you do survive, you might be able to make a deal with them, which will allow continued survival. Yeah. I have the product - I have the market - I can service the market very well and make a lot of money - but I can't stop someone from ripping me off. Who has the deepest pockets to survive the longest? Probably not me. Likely not me.

I'll have to take this up with your recommended book...

I thought I could help provide an individual perspective since I'm going through this right now.

You did a LOT more than help, my man. Your post was like the vaccine for the disease. You opened doors and identified issues with laser precision.

All I can say is thank you - Rep+++ - and I wish you well in your battle in your own market. Please do keep us posted. Posts like yours are the reason I'm here!

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Alternatively, why not be the one doing the buying out? All the businessmen I met in my past career were in this basket, whether in timber, oil, tech, wine, you name it. They did the buying out, they took the smaller companies that did things well but were stagnant, took them over and expanded.

Although this was always way back in my mind, I never stopped to really think about it. This may be a plan that has a lot of merit to it... I'll have to investigate this further and run the numbers.

My numbers are very slim. I'm looking for massive scale, and only $2 profit per sale. But still...

if you are the best at what you do then nobody can touch you. You might even end up being the Amazon of your industry.

Well, then can, actually. I just saw an ad from a company doing a variation of what I will be doing. And their products look damn good I must say.

I'm not going to steal their products, but I will adapt them into an offshoot of what I do. And I know they'll do extremely well.

I know someone will do that to me too. I can't stop it, so I'm not going to worry about it. But I do have to plan for it and figure out how to maneuver around it. That's the key that will unlock the treasure chest.

ChrisR

Diamond Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Nov 11, 2017
Republic of Kekistan
Lol is this guy serious? Not to be a dick but i’m definitely definitely definitely not going to change my replies in order to cater to your reading comfort lol. I’m making contributions to this thread that many find useful. I’m sorry you don’t. I mean I don’t particularly find any of your replies useful, so I simply scroll past them. But if it’s helpful, the board has an ‘ignore’ feature that makes it so you don’t see the replies of any user... one that i’ll be taking advantage of right now.

View attachment 21791

(Just click on the user’s profile)

Certain things may not be useful to you, but many people message me and tell me they are useful to them.

I agree with GPM. You can ignore me too if you'd like...

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States

Those are great questions. Thanks for sharing... it helps me think through some stuff and clarify my decision.

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1250195772/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

Wanted to throw this out there. If anybody is looking for a leadership book, put this next on your list.

I read the reviews. This is written by two Navy SEALS.

Without passing judgement on their book, I just want to know if you've ever been in the military. I have.

I'll pass on this gun-ho make me into a superman approach. I was that way at one time - and I'll say it does work. But now I've completely changed my focus to work smarter. And that's a whole new ballgame.

By the way, if you want me to cut you down, and then rebuild you, I can do that. $1.99 a minute over the phone. I'll insult you - I'll insult your mamma - I'll insult your sister. And then your dog, even. It works wonders. I went through it. Don't miss it.

MTEE1985

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
425%
Jun 12, 2018
Arizona

Without passing judgement on their book, I just want to know if you've ever been in the military. I have.

I'll pass on this gun-ho make me into a superman approach. I was that way at one time - and I'll say it does work. But now I've completely changed my focus to work smarter. And that's a whole new ballgame.

By the way, if you want me to cut you down, and then rebuild you, I can do that. $1.99 a minute over the phone. I'll insult you - I'll insult your mamma - I'll insult your sister. And then your dog, even. It works wonders. I went through it. Don't miss it.

Your not passing judgment on the book lasted all of one sentence. Yes, it is written by retired Navy Seals...who now consult Fortune 500 companies on all areas of leadership. (But I thank you for promoting a response as I’ve found many of the current forum topics to be depressing and based around negativity vs. this thread being much more positive...or maybe I just miss you and @Kak)

When he speaks about this book he says the biggest misconception is one like yours. That he is some hammer walking around treating people like nails.

The Dichomoty he is referring to is the ability to know when to push and when to hold back. When to micro-manage and when to leave people alone etc. Leadership is a balancing act where the right leader can take a company through the stratosphere while a poor leader will take a company to insolvency.

He also speaks about taking 100% responsibility and echos what @Kung Fu Steve says about not being able to think your way out of something you acted your way into. For anybody not in Steve’s course he speaks a lot about thinking bigger and setting goals higher. $10k/month is not an end goal to be aspiring to, $100k/month is.

Ask yourself HOW you could get there. Make a plan to get there, not in 10 years but in 2, or as Peter Thiel would say...in 6 months. Asking those questions will elicit the actions that are then needed to make it a reality.

Boo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
290%
Jul 6, 2018

You couldn't be further from the truth. Jocko repeatedly mentions throughout this and his other book that this style of leadership is generally ineffective. Keep in mind he wasn't training recruits in bootcamp, he was training SEALS who already passed basic training and has been assigned to teams i.e. it's far more respectful than the training you probably experienced in basic training etc. Try the book, it's one of the best in its genre and I would highly recommend it to anybody who wants to learn how to communicate more effectively to those above and below them. It's not gun-ho at all and far more applicable to the average person in the corporate world than you might imagine.

rogue synthetic

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
310%
Aug 2, 2017
I also shy away from the GUNG HO! attitude. Having followed Jocko for a few years, he is refreshingly unlike that, a very thoughtful and insightful person. I bought a copy of DoL when it came out a few weeks ago. It's in the queue to read. I'll leave a short review after I've finished it.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
$10k/month is not an end goal to be aspiring to, $100k/month is.

Really? $1.2m a year is $700k after taxes... meh. I plan to spend more than that on jet fuel per year.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Touché. Simple baby steps leading up to a Kak sized 9-10 figure valuation and IPO. That’s why you’re the OP of this thread!

There you go again... Valuation? You need to make all of your early investors billionaires. You need an 11 or 12 figure valuation hell maybe even 13.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
Your not passing judgment on the book lasted all of one sentence. Yes, it is written by retired Navy Seals...who now consult Fortune 500 companies on all areas of leadership. (But I thank you for promoting a response as I’ve found many of the current forum topics to be depressing and based around negativity vs. this thread being much more positive...or maybe I just miss you and @Kak)

When he speaks about this book he says the biggest misconception is one like yours. That he is some hammer walking around treating people like nails.

The Dichomoty he is referring to is the ability to know when to push and when to hold back. When to micro-manage and when to leave people alone etc. Leadership is a balancing act where the right leader can take a company through the stratosphere while a poor leader will take a company to insolvency.

He also speaks about taking 100% responsibility and echos what @Kung Fu Steve says about not being able to think your way out of something you acted your way into. For anybody not in Steve’s course he speaks a lot about thinking bigger and setting goals higher. $10k/month is not an end goal to be aspiring to, $100k/month is.

Ask yourself HOW you could get there. Make a plan to get there, not in 10 years but in 2, or as Peter Thiel would say...in 6 months. Asking those questions will elicit the actions that are then needed to make it a reality.

Takes the same amount of work to make 10k/month than it does 100k/month... might as well go for the bigger numbers :rofl:

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
For those of you who don't know, @Kak actually uses $100 bills as insulation in his house. Not those boring $1 bills to be found in his picture above

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
For those of you who don't know, @Kak actually uses $100 bills as insulation in his house. Not those boring $1 bills to be found in his picture above

Benjamins have higher r-value than ones.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1250195772/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

Wanted to throw this out there. If anybody is looking for a leadership book, put this next on your list.

You couldn't be further from the truth. Jocko repeatedly mentions throughout this and his other book that this style of leadership is generally ineffective. Keep in mind he wasn't training recruits in bootcamp, he was training SEALS who already passed basic training and has been assigned to teams i.e. it's far more respectful than the training you probably experienced in basic training etc. Try the book, it's one of the best in its genre and I would highly recommend it to anybody who wants to learn how to communicate more effectively to those above and below them. It's not gun-ho at all and far more applicable to the average person in the corporate world than you might imagine.

Oh this book is by Jocko? lol.. I was reading the thread but didn’t look what book it was. Dude, Jocko isn’t gung*-ho at all. Well he is, but he’s not. He’s extremely intelligent and well rounded. I know him from Joe Rohan’s podcast.

Although.. Jocko Willinick does look exactly how you would expect a Navy Seal named Jocko to look.

0a5eadb4b6d749e26c39ead4120342d9.jpg

Oh yea, and he only eats meat. As one would expect.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.