The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Worldwide C0VlD-19 Coronavirus Pandemic Discussion Thread...

biggeemac

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jun 25, 2011
Unfortunately it won't. Anti viral drugs are not universal in their effect but if you are susceptible, having a flu shot will no doubt help avoid getting the flu and making your state of health worse.

Walter
Getting a flu shot will also help reduce the number of flu patient visits to the hospital, and potential false positives or community transmission of Covid. Sounds like we could use all the help we can get.

I sure hope we will be laughing about all this hysteria 5 years from now.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

VDP

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Aug 11, 2019
I have tickets to fly to Rome next week for a vacation with a friend. Obviously, I'm not going to go. I don't want to get sick nor be out of action if they make me stay home for 2 weeks after the trip! Most of Italy is on the alert list for United Airlines, but not Rome. I can go and I can't do much when I get there. And, I'm out of luck unless United put Rome on their list... I put in a claim with American Express trip insurance and they don't cover the problem with the virus... Oh well. I guess I didn't want to go that bad anyway.

Friends of mine just came home from a few days in Rome today. Told me there are only 3 confirmed cases in Rome (double check this if you decide to go) and that there were little tourist. Life was normal there and they actually enjoyed it a lot. They could also just fly back home without a single check. (which is a bit worrisome)

It is a city with almost 3 million people so, the risk at THIS moment is not that high. But in our own city, there is corona too, so maybe that makes the decision easier. Just giving you some background info for your decision. It obviously still is a risk!

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Friends of mine just came home from a few days in Rome today. Told me there are only 3 confirmed cases in Rome (double check this if you decide to go) and that there were little tourist. Life was normal there and they actually enjoyed it a lot. They could also just fly back home without a single check. (which is a bit worrisome)

It is a city with almost 3 million people so, the risk at THIS moment is not that high. But in our own city, there is corona too, so maybe that makes the decision easier. Just giving you some background info for your decision. It obviously still is a risk!

The Italian government has ordered the closure of all schools and universities nationwide until 15 March as it grapples to contain Europe’s worst outbreak of coronavirus, which has claimed 107 lives, an increase of 28 in 24 hours.

On Wednesday evening, it confirmed that all major sporting events, including Serie A football, would be played behind closed doors due to the outbreak until 3 April.

The government is reportedly considering further measures, including the closure of cinemas and theatres and the suspension of public events.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
Does someone have a list of groceries for 14 days lol? I have no idea what I should get. Rice and spaghetti for every day probably and lots of water? Any ideas from the ones that already prepped ?

The way I approached it was to double/triple/quadruple up on the things I know we'll eat regardless, especially if they have a long shelf life or can be frozen. (Ideas include: pasta sauce, pasta, tuna, mayo, butter, peanut butter, jelly, Italian dressing, frozen meatballs, parm cheese, olive oil, oatmeal, pancake mix, syrup, flour, sugar, yeast, canned fruit and vegetables plus lots of paper towels and toilet paper.) Basically, I did several weeks of grocery shopping early. For things like pancake mix, I favored the type that's "just add water" as opposed to the kind that requires eggs and milk. I also added a few extra frozen pizzas for the freezer. Assuming there are no disruptions in power, the frozen stuff would be a big help in maintaining normalcy.

Also, I purchased a few "insurance" items like oversized bags of beans and rice and powdered milk.

Oh, and if you have pets, make sure to get lots of food and treats for them, too.

Hope that helps!

P.S. Even though we could always google such things, I always find it interesting to hear what others are doing, so just speaking for myself, I wasn't troubled by the question. Good luck in your shopping!

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
Friends of mine just came home from a few days in Rome today. Told me there are only 3 confirmed cases in Rome (double check this if you decide to go) and that there were little tourist
That's good info. The thing I wonder about, though, is the risk at airports, etc. Plus, with the long incubation time, it seems risky to count on the official numbers. In spite of what's being reported, they're likely much higher.

But then again, I'm in a pickle myself because we're supposed to be leaving for an overseas trip in almost exactly one week. If it were up to me, we'd cancel. But the situation is unfortunately more complicated, and it looks like the trip will happen regardless. If anything makes me panic, it will be this.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
The way I approached it was to double/triple/quadruple up on the things I know we'll eat regardless, especially if they have a long shelf life or can be frozen. (Ideas include: pasta sauce, pasta, tuna, mayo, butter, peanut butter, jelly, Italian dressing, frozen meatballs, parm cheese, olive oil, oatmeal, pancake mix, syrup, flour, sugar, yeast, canned fruit and vegetables plus lots of paper towels and toilet paper.) Basically, I did several weeks of grocery shopping early. For things like pancake mix, I favored the type that's "just add water" as opposed to the kind that requires eggs and milk. I also added a few extra frozen pizzas for the freezer. Assuming there are no disruptions in power, the frozen stuff would be a big help in maintaining normalcy.

Also, I purchased a few "insurance" items like oversized bags of beans and rice and powdered milk.

Oh, and if you have pets, make sure to get lots of food and treats for them, too.

Hope that helps!

P.S. Even though we could always google such things, I always find it interesting to hear what others are doing, so just speaking for myself, I wasn't troubled by the question. Good luck in your shopping!

We also went after things we knew would run in a crisis or stuff we wouldn't have to go get
Paper Towels
Antibacterial Hand Soap (now selling out everywhere)
Hand Sanitizer (now sold out everywhere)
Toilet Paper (ALWAYS people go poop crazy for some reason during ANY crisis)
Filtered water (not a necessity, more of a luxury as the water supply will be fine but people will freak out and buy water anyway)
Cat liter
Dog/Cat food

We took it easier on even frozen stuff for now, knowing we could be part of the scramble then for some of those basics. We were more interested in stuff that the virus panic would cause to run shortages. All of those same items would be part of our normal hurricane prep, plus GAS which we probably won't bother with now as gas shouldn't be an issue.

We then added a bunch of non-perishables.

GoodluckChuck

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Feb 2, 2017
my house
To answer you in short: no, we will not.

The virus kills only 2-3% of the infected. These people usually lack hygienic measures and/or suffer another disease at the same time.

Just looking at the numbers, I find this corona thing blown way out of proportion. People should care more about malaria and tuberculosis in poor countries.

I really despise the hypocrisy of Western societies' middle class. Something is only important, if it touches them.

Are you saying everyone but Western middle class people are concerned with issues that don't affect their daily life?

Seems silly to demonize a large group of people based on a personal opinion.

GIlman

Still Gilman
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
605%
Oct 16, 2014
@VDP everyone does it different. I eat out a lot, so didn’t want a lot of spoilable food. Looking for really long shelf life.

first I bought a grain mill, then bought items that would last for 30 years from the Mormon food storage warehouse, these are packed in tin cans and CO2 sealed. Rice, beans, wheat, nonfat dry milk, honey, oats, etc.

prepare this once and have security for the rest of my life. Got a couple months. Will add more later.

also bought freeze drier and plan to start building up stuff there too. That stuff is wicked expensive to buy.

Ubu_roi

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
338%
Jul 24, 2018
Europe
I have tickets to fly to Rome next week for a vacation with a friend. Obviously, I'm not going to go. I don't want to get sick nor be out of action if they make me stay home for 2 weeks after the trip! Most of Italy is on the alert list for United Airlines, but not Rome. I can go and I can't do much when I get there. And, I'm out of luck unless United put Rome on their list... I put in a claim with American Express trip insurance and they don't cover the problem with the virus... Oh well. I guess I didn't want to go that bad anyway.

That's good info. The thing I wonder about, though, is the risk at airports, etc. Plus, with the long incubation time, it seems risky to count on the official numbers. In spite of what's being reported, they're likely much higher.

But then again, I'm in a pickle myself because we're supposed to be leaving for an overseas trip in almost exactly one week. If it were up to me, we'd cancel. But the situation is unfortunately more complicated, and it looks like the trip will happen regardless. If anything makes me panic, it will be this.

I live in Rome. If it may help, everything‘s fine at the moment, very few corona virus cases. attractions, restaurants, shops, theatres and museums are all open, with very few tourists... might even be a good time to visit. No reason to panic.

everything south of Rome is also safe at this time: Naples, Siciliy, Apulia.

I’d buy insurance for the plane and health care... to play safe

good luck!

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
I live in Rome. If it may help, everything‘s fine at the moment, very few corona virus cases. attractions, restaurants, shops, theatres and museums are all open, with very few tourists... might even be a good time to visit. No reason to panic.

everything south of Rome is also safe at this time: Naples, Siciliy, Apulia.

I’d buy insurance for the plane and health care... to play safe

good luck!
Thanks for the info. Maybe my friend and I will go. I'm getting some positive feedback.

Bearcorp

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Jul 2, 2012
Australia
The toilet paper saga has become madness here, people are going into bars and walking out with commercial rolls, fights in shopping centre car parks, craziness. I think hand sanitiser is getting low as well but no other products at this stage that I've heard of.

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
Virus-Progression.jpg
Not-so-fun fact: @loop101 started this thread on Jan. 25. Here's an interesting progression since then.
Jan. 25th: 1,438 cases. 42 deaths.
Jan. 29th: 7,783 cases. 170 deaths.
Feb. 5th: 24, 607 cases. 494 deaths.
Feb. 11th: 43,112 cases. 1,018 deaths.
Feb. 17th: 71,810 cases. 1,775 deaths.
Feb. 27th: 82,549 cases. 2,810 deaths.
March 3rd: 92,187 cases. 3,129 deaths.

This is a pretty sobering progression, and even more so if you believe (like me) that China hasn't been reporting all of their cases.

Bearcorp

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Jul 2, 2012
Australia
The toilet paper saga has become madness here, people are going into bars and walking out with commercial rolls, fights in shopping centre car parks, craziness. I think hand sanitiser is getting low as well but no other products at this stage that I've heard of.

toilet paper.png

I'd imagine toilet paper is pretty consistently supplied, maybe a spike around Christmas time, so Kleenex will be testing their internal procedures to keep up with demand!

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013

This has happened before. In 1973 when Johnny Carson made a joke about there being a "toilet paper crisis", it caused a real one that lasted almost a month.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqMleWYgo3s

Here

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Sep 6, 2019
Lol I bought 3 cases of toilet paper because of this thread. Hubby was furious and all set to return the stuff. I told him nope, it stays, he can throw out everything in storage if he has nowhere else to stow it.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Does someone have a list of groceries for 14 days lol? I have no idea what I should get. Rice and spaghetti for every day probably and lots of water? Any ideas from the ones that already prepped ?

I bought mostly stuff that was high calorie/value for the dollar.
Cans of beans, corn.
Bags of rice
Cans of various soups and broths
SPAM
Cans of meat/fish
Boxes of pasta
Some dried sauce bags and some cans of Chef Boyardee stuff and Spaghetti Os. Gotta have some different flavors!

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
View attachment 30865

I'd imagine toilet paper is pretty consistently supplied, maybe a spike around Christmas time, so Kleenex will be testing their internal procedures to keep up with demand!

If this virus had hit later in the year, we'd be in a situation where you could give someone a pack of toilet paper for Christmas, and they'd be happy to get it. Strange times.

Bearcorp

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Jul 2, 2012
Australia

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
I am curious how the prison system is preparing for an outbreak?

I thought there would be an obvious answer to this, instead I found that the former Chief Medical Officer of the NYC jails also wants to know.

"C0VlD-19 will remind us of a central hypocrisy in our approach to health behind bars. We’ve built the world’s largest collection of jails and prisons, and kept the health services in these places remarkably separate from the rest of our national health systems. The CDC, state departments of health, the Joint Commission and other bodies that promote evidence-based care in our hospitals, ambulatory care clinics and nursing homes are largely absent in these settings. As a result, management of this pandemic will be harder and less effective for incarcerated people, their families and staff in these institutions."

Mckenzie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Aug 25, 2013

Rivoli

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jun 4, 2018
Orange County, California
Literally a nothingburger. 80-90% have mild symptoms. Could be more, there could be thousands in the US who already have but its so mild they dont realize it. The death rate is probably much lower than expected.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Literally a nothingburger. 80-90% have mild symptoms. Could be more, there could be thousands in the US who already have but its so mild they dont realize it. The death rate is probably much lower than expected.

I upped the price on my N95 masks to something ridiculous, i dont believe they will sell, well they might i have no idea.

My mate said to me these exact words '' people are F*cking sheep and believe anything, he has no doubt some dipshit will buy them''

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ

You're right. You can send me any food storage, sanitary / cleaning supplies, masks, guns and ammo you have. Since you won't be needing them I'll take them off your hands.

GIlman

Still Gilman
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
605%
Oct 16, 2014

I genuinely hope your right, but 80-90% having mild symptoms would not be a nothing burger. 10-20% hospitalized would completely overwhelm our medical system very quickly.

6 dead from one small nursing home in WA is highly concerning. I believe they said they had 55 residents. I don’t recall ever seeing a sickness that lethal. Flu certainly isn’t.

This isn’t the flu, it isn’t acting like the flu, it isn’t spreading like the flu, and it isn’t lethal like the flu. Any comparisons to the flu are extremely misleading.

Current mortality rates are 20-40x flu, granted that is high since there are some mild cases that aren’t being reported. However, to put that in perspective, there would have to be 20-40 unrecognized undiagnosed mild cases per diagnosed case for the death rate to fall to flu levels. Most people believe the undiagnosed rate to be 2-4x what is actually diagnosed, so you are still looking at a death rate likely 10x flu.

And the infectious rate is believed to be 2-4x flu, meaning more people are likely to get infected. Add this with a probably 10x mortality rate and the results could be terrible.

hope none of this ends up being true, but all the evidence at the moment supports this to be the likely outcome.

Last edited:

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
I upped the price on my N95 masks to something ridiculous, i dont believe they will sell, well they might i have no idea.

My mate said to me these exact words '' people are F*cking sheep and believe anything, he has no doubt some dipshit will buy them''
How about -- it's a scared person who will be your customer to buy your masks???? Scared people do a lot of irrational stuff that is against their best interests. Most, who sell to these scared people, do their deal as quickly as possible. Those sellers then tightly grasp their money and run like hell to make their exit before they are found out. Obviously, that's not my idea of a sustainable business model. Is it yours?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.