The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Worldwide C0VlD-19 Coronavirus Pandemic Discussion Thread...

Matt Sun

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
253%
Oct 21, 2017
Argentina
the Tanzanian President pulled a fast one with these tests, he slipped in goat and sheep samples and they still came back positive!
I wonder how many people have tested positive with these kits around the world when they never actually had COVID?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

James Klymus

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 28, 2018
Chicago, Illinois
The mayor of Chicago eliminated anybody’s ability to go to a salon but then later was caught on hidden camera in the salon.

Dont forget about how the governor's wife travelled to Florida, defying the house arrest order

"QUESTION: Okay. Mark Konkol with The Patch says, “Where’s the first lady? Is she accompanied by a state security detail? Has she engaged in non-essential travel? What is your response to people who say the state home order and non essential travel bans aren’t being abided by your family? I believe there’s a report from Illinois Rising Action that says that she recently traveled to Florida.”

"GOV. J.B. PRITZKER: Well, first of all, I want to say that in politics it used to be that we kept our families out of it. My official duties have nothing to do with my family, so I’m just not going to answer that question. It’s inappropriate, and I find it reprehensible honestly that that reporter wrote a story about it."

Don't you think that someone with nothing to hide would either say "No, my wife is at home" or at least give a very compelling reason why she needed to travel to Florida?

James Klymus

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 28, 2018
Chicago, Illinois

"It’s not as if we had governments unwilling to intervene in other matters. We had the Vietnam War, social welfare, public housing, urban renewal, and the rise of Medicare and Medicaid. We had a president swearing to cure all poverty, illiteracy, and disease. Government was as intrusive as it had ever been in history. But for some reason, there was no thought given to shutdowns.

Which raises the question: why was this different? We will be trying to figure this one out for decades."

James Klymus

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 28, 2018
Chicago, Illinois
Illinois just released its "guidelines for reopening"

Apparently, We're in phase 2 currently:

Phase 2 – Flattening: The rate of infection among those tested and the number of patients admitted to the hospital beds and ICU beds increases at an ever slower rate, moving toward a flat and even a downward trajectory. Nonessential retail stores reopen for curb-side pickup and delivery. Illinoisans are directed to wear a face covering when outside the home and can begin enjoying additional outdoor activities like golf, boating and fishing while practicing social distancing. To varying degrees, every region is experiencing flattening as of early May.

How about this gem from phases 3 and 4:

"Face coverings and social distancing are the norm."

The question is: Will we the people (who are in charge of the government) let this little plan play out by their rules or ours?

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore

GIlman

Still Gilman
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
605%
Oct 16, 2014

Xeon

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
It’s a prudent move. If the government can shut you down on a whim, then the prudent decision is to structure your organization in the most efficient way that can eliminate that vulnerability.

Operating risks have changed. Smart companies will respond accordingly.

Ok, let's assume permanent work-from-home will be the norm from now. Wouldn't that mean all those gigantic office buildings and infrastructures will need to be demolished some day? Maybe parks, gardens and stuff will be built in their place. That would also mean lesser cars on the roads and less need for public transport.

If that happens, I think we may be looking at a much greener world.

Wow, the implications are insane. Less need for cosmetics and 'want' type of stuff since less people will be going out.

GIlman

Still Gilman
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
605%
Oct 16, 2014
Ok, let's assume permanent work-from-home will be the norm from now. Wouldn't that mean all those gigantic office buildings and infrastructures will need to be demolished some day? Maybe parks, gardens and stuff will be built in their place. That would also mean lesser cars on the roads and less need for public transport.

If that happens, I think we may be looking at a much greener world.

Wow, the implications are insane. Less need for cosmetics and 'want' type of stuff since less people will be going out.

I have serious concerns about a commercial and real estate loan/foreclosure crisis. There are likely to be many many financial ripples from this situation. What will happen to the buildings, who knows.

Last edited:

GB81

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Oct 17, 2019
Uk
I wouldn't want to be invested in large city centre offices at the moment. If tenants all say they need 20% less floor space then that is going to have a major impact. Properties will be downvalued, banking covenant breaches etc. They investors will probably get some sympathy initially but once its clear there's a structural change values will go down, certainly in the short-medium term.

JamesQB8

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Mar 20, 2019
@GIlman I've really enjoyed your podcast and thank you for sharing all of that information.

The only issue I'm worried about is the sporadic mention of long term lung damage. I assume this is either in a very small percentage or something that returns to 100% in time. Do you have any opinions or data on that please?

Also sorry if it's already been covered.

GIlman

Still Gilman
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
605%
Oct 16, 2014
@GIlman I've really enjoyed your podcast and thank you for sharing all of that information.

The only issue I'm worried about is the sporadic mention of long term lung damage. I assume this is either in a very small percentage or something that returns to 100% in time. Do you have any opinions or data on that please?

Also sorry if it's already been covered.

I don’t have any data at the moment on what percent of people suffer from long term damage or to what degree damage occurs. This type of information will probably take a long time to accumulate, it’s kinda complicated because ideally you have lung function tests before and after infection. It’s ideal to know someone’s baseline lung function to know how much they are effected.

The issue is that if any lung infection (pneumonia) occurs, if if is severe enough, the lung tissue can be permanently damaged and replaced by scar tissue or empty cavities. This is not unique to COVID, we see the same thing with bacterial and other serious viral pneumonia too.

A normal healthy person has a tremendous amount of lung capacity, your normal breath (called tidal volume) is much less then the capacity of the lungs. When you exercise your berating rate and volume with each breath increases. A young previously healthy person can sustain some damage before they would develop symptoms.

If you are curious about lung function, here is a Wikipedia link about link capacities.

p.s. if you enjoyed or found my podcast useful, please share it on Facebook or twitter, quite a bit of growth has come from Facebook shares.

Last edited:

Andreas Thiel

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Aug 27, 2018
Karlsruhe, Germany
Some anecdotal data points.

• My go to gun store is a national online seller, basically out of inventory for 4 weeks
  • Guy at said store said he had more first timers in the last month than in his 10 years of selling guns
  • My range has had a solid line of people reading the safety card reserved for first time shooters. There's never anybody reading the safety card.
All anecdotal, but methinks there's a lot of new gun owners walking around out there. I myself am now an long time owner, first time every day carrier.

Interesting!

I read somewhere that gun permit assessments cannot be executed within 3 days and people can insist they get their guns after that time. Can you tell if that has been a significant factor recently, or is that something that the German media exploits for "sensational" headlines?

David Harrison

Dedo
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
215%
Sep 27, 2018
London
I don't know. It's all so confusing and absurd I'm just exhausted.

I think the word you're looking for is "Gaslighting"

If anyone wants a better perspective on how things are done, watch Noam Chomsky's film "Manufacturing Consent".
Chomsky derived the name of the film from a book by Walter Lippmann "Public Opinion"

John Milton
“They who have put out the people's eyes reproach them of their blindness.”

― John Milton,

Last edited:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I don’t have any data at the moment on what percent of people suffer from long term damage or to what degree damage occurs. This type of information will probably take a long time to accumulate, it’s kinda complicated because ideally you have lung function tests before and after infection. It’s ideal to know someone’s baseline lung function to know how much they are effected.

The issue is that if any lung infection (pneumonia) occurs, if if is severe enough, the lung tissue can be permanently damaged and replaced by scar tissue or empty cavities. This is not unique to COVID, we see the same thing with bacterial and other serious viral pneumonia too.

A normal healthy person has a tremendous amount of lung capacity, your normal breath (called tidal volume) is much less then the capacity of the lungs. When you exercise your berating rate and volume with each breath increases. A young previously healthy person can sustain some damage before they would develop symptoms.

If you are curious about lung function, here is a Wikipedia link about link capacities.

p.s. if you enjoyed or found my podcast useful, please share it on Facebook or twitter, quite a bit of growth has come from Facebook shares.

Done.

shared to www.facebook.com/mybradio

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
543%
Jan 13, 2014
Interesting!

I read somewhere that gun permit assessments cannot be executed within 3 days and people can insist they get their guns after that time. Can you tell if that has been a significant factor recently, or is that something that the German media exploits for "sensational" headlines?
Sorry I got a little off-topic, but yes. I don't know that that's odd though. As far as I can tell, all news coverage on any topic is "sensational". It's one of the limitations of the medium.

Some great examples are happening with Coronavirus:

Coronavirus has put the Klan back on the streets

Parts of Germany that went Nazi were hit more heavily by Spanish Flu. Innuendo: America is getting hit because it's full of Nazis. I won't even get into the problems with the actual study they're citing.

Countries run by women have lower COVID mortality than the US. Sure the US has way higher co-morbidities and in-migration of Asian visitors, but that can't be it. The problem is the genitals of the leaders!

Last edited:

Andreas Thiel

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Aug 27, 2018
Karlsruhe, Germany
Countries run by women have lower COVID mortality than the US. Sure the US has way higher co-morbidities and in-migration of Asian visitors, but that can't be it. The problem is the genitals of the leaders!
That is a great example. Some people just love such narratives :rolleyes:.

I mentioned this several times, but it really bothers me that other countries envy Merkel and Germany now, just because Germany counts and reports deaths differently.

For everybody I know it was impossible to get tested. At first you needed to prove you either came from a known trouble spot or that you had contact with somebody known to be infected. Naturally both was impossible for most.

When there were enough cases that too many people could prove that they had contact with somebody who is officially infected, then the policy changed. Instead you needed to show severe symptoms. I don't know where the numbers that prove that Germany implemented wide testing early on come from. They must be invented.

James Klymus

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 28, 2018
Chicago, Illinois
Sorry I got a little off-topic, but yes. I don't know that that's odd though. As far as I can tell, all news coverage on any topic is "sensational". It's one of the limitations of the medium.

Some great examples are happening with Coronavirus:

Coronavirus has put the Klan back on the streets

Parts of Germany that went Nazi were hit more heavily by Spanish Flu. Innuendo: America is getting hit because it's full of Nazis. I won't even get into the problems with the actual study they're citing.

CNN no less.

My mom told me earlier that people are wearing KKK masks now! I said "where'd you hear that, CNN?"

2 things:

First, Obviously this is a hot topic right now because it's very relevant to this exact moment we're in. People are being told to separate, and work from home if they can, so obviously this topic is on a lot of people's minds.

Second, Good. Why do we need people to commute 5-6 days a week to a building if all they do is sit on a computer? My dad used to have to drive an hour to the office just to have a 30 minute team meeting. This is inefficient.

Think about the quality of life improvements if you don't have to commute for an hour each way every single day.

Think about all the time people waste at work anyways, between water cooler chatting, going to another persons cubicle and bothering them, surfing the internet. Less politics, less "dipping the pen in the company ink". There can be a lot of distraction eliminated by having people work from home.

And it can obviously have an impact on a companies bottom line by not having to pay rent for a big building, or even a building at all if every one is remote. So I think it's a mostly good move.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
May 1, 2011
New updates at Facts about C0VlD-19 (too many to post them here)

One interesting study from Japan (which tests very little, only 1,473 per 1 M compared to current 23,453 in the US):

These numbers were 396 to 858 fold more than confirmed cases with PCR testing in Kobe City.

As for Charles de Gaulle and USS Theodore Roosevelt:

USS Theodore Roosevelt - since March 24, 1 death out of 1,102 cases. 0.09% mortality rate.
Charles de Gaulle - since April 10, 0 deaths out of 1,046 cases. 0% mortality rate.

Of course, there might still be more deaths but it's been six and a half weeks for Roosevelt and three and a half weeks for de Gaulle. Obviously, the media would rather spread fear than inform that healthy people have pretty much a zero chance of dying from it.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
It’s a prudent move. If the government can shut you down on a whim, then the prudent decision is to structure your organization in the most efficient way that can eliminate that vulnerability.

Operating risks have changed. Smart companies will respond accordingly.

My office is right next to Godaddy HQ. I haven't seen any cars in that lot for 1.5 months now. The other office buildings around me at least have 3-4 cars a day in the office. Godaddy has zero.

I think many companies will realize that they don't need to have massive office space.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Think about all the time people waste at work anyways, between water cooler chatting, going to another persons cubicle and bothering them, surfing the internet. Less politics, less "dipping the pen in the company ink". There can be a lot of distraction eliminated by having people work from home.

And it can obviously have an impact on a companies bottom line by not having to pay rent for a big building, or even a building at all if every one is remote. So I think it's a mostly good move.

When I didn't have to go work, I immediately saved more money. Things that I didn't have to pay for anymore were:
Train Pass $100/mo
Parking Pass for the train lot $50/mo
Bus Pass $80/mo
Gas to train station
(Yes commuting and working in downtown Chicago sucked)
Work Clothes (shirt and khakis)
Dry Cleaning

So right off the bat i saved probably $300 a month.

And I didn't have to wake up at 6am to get to work by 8am. I could just wake up at 7:45am.

I think many businesses will shift to this since they've all done a trial run now and found it feasible.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
My office is right next to Godaddy HQ. I haven't seen any cars in that lot for 1.5 months now. The other office buildings around me at least have 3-4 cars a day in the office. Godaddy has zero.

I think many companies will realize that they don't need to have massive office space.

My son works for Carvana in Phoenix and he said that even though their office has been empty for almost 2 months, people working from home and working longer hours with fewer breaks. Makes sense. Carvana has been in rapid expansion in the Phoenix area but what if they can do without the class a real estate?

msufan

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Mar 13, 2013
I have the COVID antibody test in! I will find out by Wednesday if I had it.

If this is the case, I am an example of a case that can be traced back to late December- early January.

Update?

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
My son works for Carvana in Phoenix and he said that even though their office has been empty for almost 2 months, people working from home and working longer hours with fewer breaks. Makes sense. Carvana has been in rapid expansion in the Phoenix area but what if they can do without the class a real estate?

Genesis has essentially done this actually. They already had room at the existing Hyundai dealership properties that they own. Obviously that is NOT the same sort of clientele that they want to attract, so they made the entire process concierge.

Last edited:

Xeon

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore

Since several months back, I've been reading news of how New Zealand dealt with the Covid issue.
All I can say is, I've never been as impressed by a woman as Jacinda Arden. She is young, pretty, capable and is performing far better than fat, balding middle-aged male politicians so far. I don't worship celebs but I would be happy to have a poster of her in my bedroom.

Why do we need people to commute 5-6 days a week to a building if all they do is sit on a computer? My dad used to have to drive an hour to the office just to have a 30 minute team meeting. This is inefficient.

Think about the quality of life improvements if you don't have to commute for an hour each way every single day.

There's a big pitfall with the whole WFH thing.

If companies gradually re-structure themselves for employees to WFH permanently, with all systems and processes re-designed for WFH, what is stopping these same companies from hiring / outsourcing employees / freelancers from cheaper countries? Since everyone is now WFH and there's no physical prescence advantage anymore.

Seems that eventually many company bosses will realise this and start mass-layoff local employees since it's going to save them even more $$$ on top of savings from office rent.

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
If companies gradually re-structure themselves for employees to WFH permanently, with all systems and processes re-designed for WFH, what is stopping these same companies from hiring / outsourcing employees / freelancers from cheaper countries? Since everyone is now WFH and there's no physical prescence advantage anymore.

Seems that eventually many company bosses will realise this and start mass-layoff local employees since it's going to save them even more $$$ on top of savings from office rent.

It means low skilled westerners can't coast on barriers to entry and will actually have to make themselves valuable.

Sorry Karen, your 2 college credits in excel aren't worth $30/hour, and it hasn't been for the past 10 years. You've just been asleep.

Andreas Thiel

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Aug 27, 2018
Karlsruhe, Germany
Charles de Gaulle - since April 10, 0 deaths out of 1,046 cases. 0% mortality rate.

Yeah, saw those numbers a while back in an article that said that this terrible tragedy (25 people in the hospital) could have been avoided.

Okay, it is old news now ... but there is also the EuroMoMo (European Mortality Monitoring) report.
They look at the excess death rate between 23rd of March and 19th of April in Europe.
Apparently there are 100,000 excess deaths total and 95,000 in the age group above 65.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I got the results and I’m unfortunately negative for the antibodies. Damn.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.