The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Ukraine War, implications, outcome?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
Hell, this war is so unnecessary. We’re in the 21st century, have we learned nothing? I wish the people who want this war would be the only ones who are fighting in it.

I have friends and family in Ukraine either trying to survive right now or trying to figure out how to flee.

It doesn’t matter whether it’s a Ukrainian or Russian who died. Families are losing their loved ones and for what greater purpose than to satisfy those not even on the battlefield.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
I did not know how vital Ukraine was to the raw mats for semiconductor chips until I read this:

“According to research from market research firm Techcet, Russia and Ukraine are each pivotal in the high-tech trade,” Curran said. “Per their reporting, more than 90% of semiconductor-grade neon used in U.S. semiconductor manufacturing is supplied from Ukraine, while 35% of palladium necessary for the chips comes from Russia.”

Looks like I'm gonna go rare earths and metal gang this year. Turns out this also aligns the stars with inflationary themes.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
There are a few users here who are from Ukraine, I'd like to hear from them. One was a girl starting a dating site. Another sent me a PM once.

Hope these guys are all ok. I was working with a few freelancers from Kyiv recently, had plans, thought everything was going well........then the attack began and I'm not sure what happened to them :frown:

Time will only tell if this will escalate to WW3.

Lots of hysteria online hyping up WW3 but I doubt it's going to happen. I could be wrong though. Putin's attack was a complete surprise to me this morning.

-UK most likely is not going to send troops because Russian missiles will reach them easily.
-Most of Europe is relatively quiet about this IMO.
-Canada....well....I think Trudeau has enough problems at home.
-Without the UK and European countries, the US will likely not join the war against Russia, because if they really do go in 1-on-1 with Russia (which is unthinkable madness!), they'll still have the nagging "what if China takes this chance...." thing
-China is currently obsessed with building up their economy, war is the last thing they need (in case anyone wonders, I feel China will eventually use force to take over Taiwan but it'll be in the far future)

I understand Putin's reason for attacking, but it's way overboard tbh. If he wanted buffer areas around Russia's western border to prevent US from planting troops and military bases there, he could have done what China did to Taiwan and drag it out indefinitely over decades (to-and-fro) without sudden war. This morning's attack was truly WTF.
The most sickening part are videos showing scared Ukrainian kids hiding in the underground metro stations. F*ck all these.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Mar 15, 2018
I hate to be contrarian but..... why does the US need to get involved at all?

Why do the war drums beat so loudly.
Well, we know why... the military industrial complex is vast.
Afghanistan ended, so, we need a new war?

I don't get it.
I have a Russian wife.
I spent a month in Ukraine last year.

Russia and Ukraine have often been at war.
Why do others need to get involved here in national building?

What am I missing here.
This just seems like another distraction for anyone not nearby.
If USA does nothing (as I suspect it will), it’s a sign of weakness. Next is Taiwan. Again, sign of weakness.

Why does it matter?

USD is a world reserve currency. This privilege is only available to the dominant power. Weakness threatens the USA becoming less of a world leader. Loss of reserve currency status would be a devastating issue for the US economy. Think about all that debt that would have to be paid back, it would devalue USD to a nothing.

So Biden is F*cked either way. Do something? No support. And do what? No money to fight wars earthier. Do nothing. Bad news for the “USA is the world leader, we stand behind our debts” etc.

That’s why.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

If USA does nothing (as I suspect it will), it’s a sign of weakness. Next is Taiwan. Again, sign of weakness.

Why does it matter?

USD is a world reserve currency. This privilege is only available to the dominant power. Weakness threatens the USA becoming less of a world leader. Loss of reserve currency status would be a devastating issue for the US economy. Think about all that debt that would have to be paid back, it would devalue USD to a nothing.

So Biden is f*cked either way. Do something? No support. And do what? No money to fight wars earthier. Do nothing. Bad news for the “USA is the world leader, we stand behind our debts” etc.

That’s why.
I know you hate him but I really wish we had DJT right now. He would have enough competent generals and leaders around him to make sure the right things get done. He wouldn't f*ck it up. Ok, at least, not as much as the cross-dressing generals we have now.

USA would feel stronger & safer. Doesn't matter if he said something dumb.

Basically...

274737343_10159020040717683_6875993962665507640_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia

Why does it matter?

So Biden is f*cked either way. Do something? No support. And do what? No money to fight wars earthier. Do nothing. Bad news for the “USA is the world leader, we stand behind our debts” etc.

That’s why.
U.S. doesn’t need to stop Russia or China to win.

U.S. just needs to prove to be safe. It is not in Eurasia. It doesnt have the border conflicts that other continental powers have.

With the crisis deepening in Europe people are going to sell euro and convert them into dollar asset. By saying “we stand with Ukraine but we gonna do nothing”. Biden is exactly maximizing the financial profit.

If China attacks Taiwan they will be shooting themselves in the foot. All the other Asian countries are going to wary and inviting American influences. It is going to put a dent on the trade and infrastructure deals China had.

Xeon

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Side note and unpopular opinion, I always wondered what would have happened if, instead of looking to the West to want to be part of them, what if Ukraine had looked to Russia and build friendly ties with them and look to China/Asia as their dominant trading partners instead?

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
I know you hate him but I really wish we had DJT right now. He would be going Winston Churchill, and he would have enough competent generals and leaders around him to make sure the right things get done. He wouldn't f*ck it up. Ok, at least, not as much as the cross-dressing generals we have now.

USA would feel stronger & safer. Doesn't matter if he said something dumb.

Basically...

274737343_10159020040717683_6875993962665507640_n.jpg
That will come IMO. Patience. See how the midterms will run.
But that process to get there won't be pretty.

I think the way Churchhill got into power also was when political frustration built up against the Chamberlain inefficiency...when they lost Norway to the Germans.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Mar 15, 2018
Some of you know (who listened to @Kak radio show) that I am from Ukraine originally. I have family there.

This morning at 5AM local time, 17 out of 24 provinces of Ukraine were being bombed by Russia. This is a strategic move as airports were main target.

Borders are closed. No one can come or leave Ukraine.

Food and necessities are dwindling to nothing.

Putin calls this "not a war, but a military operation" and if the West gets involved, it'll become a war.

Last edited:

Trevor Kuntz

Professional Dog Owner
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Feb 5, 2012
Arizona
I know you hate him but I really wish we had DJT right now. He would be going Winston Churchill, and he would have enough competent generals and leaders around him to make sure the right things get done. He wouldn't f*ck it up. Ok, at least, not as much as the cross-dressing generals we have now.
What exactly would DJT be capable of doing in this situation? His primary asset was his "unpredictability", yet this is a situation where many options are not on the table. I think you have rose-colored glasses in comparing him to Churchill, a man with much different ambition and mindset.

If this situation is analogous to WWII in any way, this is Italy invading Ethiopia in 1935, not Germany invading Poland in 1939. Russia is still playing second fiddle here.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

That will come IMO. Patience. See how the midterms will run.
But that process to get there won't be pretty.

I think the way Churchhill got into power also was when political frustration built up against the Chamberlain inefficiency...
Nobody was invading countries during his term. He was far from perfect, but you know nobody wanted to mess around...

Thanks for the history lesson, never heard of Chamberlain (besides Wilt)

G

Guest-5ty5s4

What exactly would DJT be capable of doing in this situation? His primary asset was his "unpredictability", yet this is a situation where many options are not on the table. I think you have rose-colored glasses in comparing him to Churchill, a man with much different ambition and mindset.

If this situation is analogous to WWII in any way, this is Italy invading Ethiopia in 1935, not Germany invading Poland in 1939. Russia is still playing second fiddle here.
He acted quickly and decisively on international issues, like in Syria and Iran. He expressed toughness on China and Russia and clearly was not afraid of acting on it. He even managed to cool off "rocket man."

He's not my favorite president ever, hell I didn't even vote for him in the primaries, but he's so much better than what the US is now.

Biden can barely put a sentence together.

Last edited by a moderator:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Worse, we produce nothing of value any longer as anything valuable has been outsourced to other countries.

What economic strength do we have? If you threaten us we will embargo you from ordering Samsung TVs from Walmart, oh wait, we get those from S. Korea!

never heard of Chamberlain

Wow, history knows him as the ultimate groveling appeaser, like the USA is now.

Trevor Kuntz

Professional Dog Owner
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Feb 5, 2012
Arizona
He acted quickly and decisively on international issues, like in Syria and Iran. He expressed toughness on China and Russia and clearly was not afraid of acting on it.
He even managed to cool off "rocket man."

Biden can barely put a sentence together.
It is difficult to respond to your reply when you edit it four times in five minutes. Lol.

Trump maintained the status quo in a world that was on a level trajectory from 2011 to 2019. Much has changed on the geopolitical stage in the last two years. If you could build a 100% accurate simulation with DJT as president, I would be genuinely curious to see what actions he takes. In reality, I think his options and his prowess would be much more limited in this situation than you think.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

It is difficult to respond to your reply when you edit it four times in five minutes. Lol.

Trump maintained the status quo in a world that was on a level trajectory from 2011 to 2019. Much has changed on the geopolitical stage in the last two years. If you could build a 100% accurate simulation with DJT as president, I would be genuinely curious to see what actions he takes. In reality, I think his options and his prowess would be much more limited in this situation than you think.
Look man, forget about it. It's hypothetical. Take this instead:

The world is more dangerous under this current administration. This invasion is happening now. It's not happening 4 years ago.

That's all there is to it, those are the facts, and now we see if Biden can lead the US in any form at all. (So far, he has been extraordinarily incompetent)

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Mar 15, 2018
Worse, we produce nothing of value any longer as anything valuable has been outsourced to other countries.
Exactly why Putin is fine. There is a bunch of morons screaming "economic sanctions!!!". So what? Russia + China have everything they need now. China over the past 50 years grew from mostly in poverty to only 1% of population being below poverty line. They have enough. Taiwan is next.

The difference is that neither Putin, nor Xi, nor anyone else wants a hot war. No one wants a WW III. It's too hard on every country, even remote countries like the USA.

And bringing the work back to the USA, consider how the people who are used to doing "higher value work" would feel on the assembly line for minimum wages of Vietnam (not the USA).

I am ranting now... just sucks for good people who are caught in the middle of it all in Ukraine. Hunger, poverty, threat on life etc.

David Fitz

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 30, 2020
Ireland
From the news I gathered so far, the west can't put troops in Ukraine because Ukraine is not part of NATO.

The west wants to hurt Russia financially with sanctions and cut them off from the west. This could cause Russia a lot of trouble and piss off a few of their billionaires if their business interests are getting effected.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Side note and unpopular opinion, I always wondered what would have happened if, instead of looking to the West to want to be part of them, what if Ukraine had looked to Russia and build friendly ties with them and look to China/Asia as their dominant trading partners instead?
Then they become another Belarus.

Somehow the fine art of Lee Kuan Yew 'why not both' statecraft is rarely mastered these days by world leaders.

Wow, history knows him as the ultimate groveling appeaser, like the USA is now.
I miss Theodore Roosevelt. The Big Stick ideology.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Exactly why Putin is fine. There is a bunch of morons screaming "economic sanctions!!!". So what? Russia + China have everything they need now. China over the past 50 years grew from mostly in poverty to only 1% of population being below poverty line. They have enough. Taiwan is next.

The difference is that neither Putin, nor Xi, nor anyone else wants a hot war. No one wants a WW III. It's too hard on every country, even remote countries like the USA.

And bringing the work back to the USA, consider how the people who are used to doing "higher value work" would feel on the assembly line for minimum wages of Vietnam (not the USA).

I am ranting now... just sucks for good people who are caught in the middle of it all in Ukraine. Hunger, poverty, threat on life etc.
I have been saying this for years regarding industrial production and manufacturing.

Letting your country lose all of its industrial production is a deathwish. Now China and Russia have all the factories to produce things and the west has people in cubicles.

missinfinity98

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Oct 25, 2021
Bravo. Are you from Ukraine? I would actually want to know what's happening there from a local instead of the mainstream media. I'm getting the alternative news from Twitter and Reddit.
No, I am not from Ukraine. I have met some Ukrainians. One time I was watching TikTok with a Ukrainian woman. We did it for entertainment. I was discovering new videos. One was a group of young US youngsters - "pranking" their friend by throwing her asleep into a bathtub filled with milk and cereal. I looked at the face of this woman - she was trying to hide it, but she was devastated. I didn't know what to say honestly...

To check out their everyday reality I would stick to Reddit if I were you. Just find locals who share their experiences online

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Protests against the invasion already happening in major Russian cities. How poetic would it be if led to a pro-democratic revolution in Russia.

Meanwhile, I've been hearing NATO fighter jets flying over Poland all day long. I can't imagine how scary it must be to know they're piloted by the aggressor and are destroying your country...

missinfinity98

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Oct 25, 2021
Protests against the invasion already happening in major Russian cities. How poetic would it be if led to a pro-democratic revolution in Russia.

Meanwhile, I've been hearing NATO fighter jets flying over Poland all day long. I can't imagine how scary it must be to know they're piloted by the aggressor and are destroying your country...
Can we please stop pretending that we have democracy existing? It is just a label

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
the west has people in cubicles.

Yes, the American economy is now based on treating disease for its obese citizens, issuing insurance, operating real estate, and managing digital assets ... stuff that means nothing in the grand scheme of existence.

Look around... you see nothing but tech centers, dentists, medical centers, insurance agencies, fast-food joints offering fat and grease, and a swath of retail stores filled with cheap Chinese goods ... we produce nothing of real value and consume everything.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Mar 3, 2013
Is America today, similar to Russia in the 1940s, in the sense that their experienced military leaders were purged due to politics (during the 1920s and 1930s) - leaving them very weak during the next war?

I don't see Gen Mark Milley instilling fear in anybody, much less Putin or Xi.

Antti

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Dec 21, 2017
Finland
Didn't Belarus do just that and they are not exactly in a good place either. Russia/Soviet Union has always been a tricky neighbor for smaller countries. In their mind only big world powers should have any say in the world. Smaller countries are there only to be exploited.

Western Europe, especially Germany, made a critical mistake by getting so dependant on Russian oil and gas. That's why Putin can now throw his weight around.

Last edited:

Xeon

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Apparently they're attacking civilians not just military targets... wtf.
View attachment 42285

Seriously, Zelensky needs to surrender immediately.

If I remember reading correctly just now, NATO has said they're not going to send troops into Ukraine. That means Ukraine is fighting Russia alone and let's be realistic about this, they're not going to win. The longer Zelensky tries to "hold on" and perservere, it's only going to get more innocent Ukrainians killed.

Screw all that patriotism and ideals. Those crap mean nothing if people are dying.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Mar 3, 2013
AWS is the biggest cloud provider in Russia, will American cloud providers deplatform Russia?

Global-Clouds-in-Russia-1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads