The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Sunsetting of 2G, 3G Cellular Networks (Implications for IoT Industry)

mdot

Always Improve.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Dec 24, 2020
Ontario, Canada
I wanted to share an article I found that may be of interest to the forum, especially those in the IoT hardware industry. This might be common knowledge in the IoT industry but I'm a professional electronics designer in another industry as well as a hobbyist, and I didn't realize this was happening. Certain companies (such as particle.io) still sell 2G/3G modules, so I hope this thread helps you become more aware of what you are buying into before developing a whole product around a dying infrastructure!

2G, 3G, 4G LTE Network Shutdown Updates

(Digi-Key Article)
Note: the title is a bit clickbaity, because 4G LTE IS NOT shutting down in the foreseeable future, but we'll get to that in a second.

Key Points:
  • IoT (Internet of Things) devices can be connected to a Wi-Fi hotspot but are limited by the range of the hotspot. A solution is using a cellular network to always remain connected wherever there is cell service. This is great for connecting devices in large open spaces, or mobile platforms for example.
  • In the past devices have been built to work using the 2G or 3G system. Both of these systems are due for effective shutdown by major carriers in the next 2 years.
    • The reason is because they take up radio spectrum space needed for 4G and 5G.
    • In general carriers will stop activating new accounts, before shutting down service completely.
  • 4G LTE is expected to enjoy a long lifetime, the article says >10 years.
    • Other technologies built on 4G, such as LTE-M and NB-IoT will continue to be viable.
    • 4G and 5G share the same spectrum but carriers can share the entire bandwidth based on demand, rather than having to split the spectrum in advance (limiting both regardless of demand)
  • 5G is currently a premium technology, and upgrading may not make sense for every application. However, being an emerging technology, it has the power to open up new solutions to problems requiring high bandwidth or low latency.
  • Sunsetting varies by country. Some countries still support the older technologies and have no immediate plans to sunset.

Considerations:
  • Does my product rely on infrastructure that is destined for immediate shutdown?
  • Does my system need to outlive the 10 year or so estimation of LTE's lifetime?
  • Does my system really need the benefits of 5G over 4G LTE?
  • What existing applications that use slower and older networks could be value-skewed by leveraging 4G or 5G?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

CryptoCurt

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Oct 2, 2019
Germany
I wanted to share an article I found that may be of interest to the forum, especially those in the IoT hardware industry. This might be common knowledge in the IoT industry but I'm a professional electronics designer in another industry as well as a hobbyist, and I didn't realize this was happening. Certain companies (such as particle.io) still sell 2G/3G modules, so I hope this thread helps you become more aware of what you are buying into before developing a whole product around a dying infrastructure!

2G, 3G, 4G LTE Network Shutdown Updates

(Digi-Key Article)
Note: the title is a bit clickbaity, because 4G LTE IS NOT shutting down in the foreseeable future, but we'll get to that in a second.

Key Points:
  • IoT (Internet of Things) devices can be connected to a Wi-Fi hotspot but are limited by the range of the hotspot. A solution is using a cellular network to always remain connected wherever there is cell service. This is great for connecting devices in large open spaces, or mobile platforms for example.
  • In the past devices have been built to work using the 2G or 3G system. Both of these systems are due for effective shutdown by major carriers in the next 2 years.
    • The reason is because they take up radio spectrum space needed for 4G and 5G.
    • In general carriers will stop activating new accounts, before shutting down service completely.
  • 4G LTE is expected to enjoy a long lifetime, the article says >10 years.
    • Other technologies built on 4G, such as LTE-M and NB-IoT will continue to be viable.
    • 4G and 5G share the same spectrum but carriers can share the entire bandwidth based on demand, rather than having to split the spectrum in advance (limiting both regardless of demand)
  • 5G is currently a premium technology, and upgrading may not make sense for every application. However, being an emerging technology, it has the power to open up new solutions to problems requiring high bandwidth or low latency.
  • Sunsetting varies by country. Some countries still support the older technologies and have no immediate plans to sunset.

Considerations:
  • Does my product rely on infrastructure that is destined for immediate shutdown?
  • Does my system need to outlive the 10 year or so estimation of LTE's lifetime?
  • Does my system really need the benefits of 5G over 4G LTE?
  • What existing applications that use slower and older networks could be value-skewed by leveraging 4G or 5G?
Thanks for this update, i heard about 3G (and older) getting shut down in the next year.
What i found over the last years in the tech industry is, that more and more inventions come to the market and THEN people start to think about use-cases for those technologies. See "blockchain".
5G is a different thing but of course this technology will bring new possibilities into the IOT world.
In these days, the products have such a short life-span that we almost can ignore the underlying technologies. Consumers replace their products, just because the new Version is more energy efficient, faster, more quiet, [fill in the feature of your choice].

If you are an inventor and think about this faster life-spans, you can go by the model of all major electronic-manufacturers and decide that every new version is also a new version for your product. Consumers have to buy the new version, cause the old is not supported anymore.
OR you can use modularity to ensure that your system give the consumer a chance to just replace that piece of tech (in this case the external communication module "3G"). You would then sell only the new module and not a whole system to the consumer. Would be much greener this way of course.

Sorry this became lenghty somehow, i just think out loud here...

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.