• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

2. Forum *Official* Book Discussion
    Atomic Habits by James Clear

The forum has voted to discuss this book. Grab it, discussion begins soon!
    Buy: Buy | Discuss: Atomic Habits, by James Clear (Review | Discuss)

BOOK The reason I don't like Think and Grow Rich...

Discussion in 'Education, Learning, Books' started by Telamon25346, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Kung Fu Steve

Kung Fu Steve Platinum Contributor Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $27,135
    I think we're all a little too hard on ourselves. You have some brilliant stuff in there. Stuff that no one has ever brought up before.

I'm working on my book right now and I'll admit the prospect of having immortalized words and wanting the message to be perfect has really slowed down progress.

Maybe I'm wrong but I think there's a difficult line simply because belief systems change. You say "I believe THIS" and then maybe tomorrow something happens and we're like "sh*t... maybe not"

2. rogue synthetic

rogue synthetic * Not actually Rutger Hauer Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $5,107
    It was a half tongue-in-cheek link, but given your leanings I think you'll enjoy it.

The media made him out like a raving nutcase (of course), but the writings are surprisingly lucid. He's painting a picture of some ugly truths about technological civilization. Too painful to ignore, because the effects are catching up to us, and too painful to address, because we're all hooked on it.

MJ DeMarco likes this.
  3. HelpAndProsper

HelpAndProsper Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $382
    You can watch Kiyosaki for 10 minutes and know he is an immoral scam artist.

4. harlansjobs

harlansjobs Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $120
    Wow, this thread really changed in its scope from the time that it started through to the present.
    Originally it was simply about why the OP did not like TAGR. He did not invoke the name of Robert Kiyosaki. Also somewhere along the way, it seemed to insult other people and just go crazy.
    Think and Grow Rich is a book and title that has long been misunderstood by many people. It is very similar to the saying in Superman the Movie where Lex Luthor says "some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it is a great adventure novel and others may read the ingrediants on a gum wrapper and discover the secrets of the universe.
    The OP states that he hates the book because it is being used by the new age charlatans to promote the law of attraction.
    Well lets exzmine the good and bad points of the book itself.
    There are many examples of bad writing and downright lying that could NOT have come to light without the internet. Napoleon Hill did NOT repeat, work for Carnegie and he probably made up meeting all those famous people. His last wife spent much of her time turning his notes into something coherent, which is why his earlier books like the Magic Ladder to Success was not.
    What the book IS is a perhaps appealing to the common man that if Mr. Hill was able to achieve this with not even a proper education than I can do it too. Something badly needed during the depression. I am sure that the motivation that it gave people was impressive.
    He stressed working hard toward your goal, like the man who did everything he could to be a partner to the great Thomas Edison. True? Who knows. The takeaway is that he had a determined goal and never gave up.

Some people complained about the Archaic use of the English language. There are copies out there, edited and updated by the Hill Foundation, putting the book into modern English as it is the ideas that are running the show not the verbiage. So read the book before you base it on that.
    If nothing else, Hills book should stand alone as a MOTIVATIONAL book. He succeeded with determination and guts. Yes he was as crooked as a broken sidewalk but he truly walked the walk in terms of believing what he wrote... whatever the mind of man can believe the mind of man can achieve through a positive mental attitude.

He never said sit back, meditate and the good fairies will drop it off to you. He said believe in yourself and what you want and you will find a way to bring it to reality if you never give up or take your eyes off the prize .. eye of the Tiger!
    Just my opinion. Not looking for an argument.

5. Gepi

Gepi In it to win it Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $569
    My key takeaway so far from TAGR (a few chapters in):
    Be focused on what you want, every day, build a plan, surround yourself with the right people who know stuff you don't, and go for it. Repeat your goals every day to not lose focus and make them a burning desire. And I realized, it really doesn't sound so different for me than your success story, @MJ DeMarco. You had all of that, maybe even some helpful people along the way. And you stayed focused and did not give up even if others would say "take the easy path". You carried also a burning desire.
    I have read exactly this from the above book. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd say he analyzed the way to success in a different, but still in a very valid way, without going into the analytics of supply and demand, the great concept of giving value and financial stuff so much as you (which makes absolute sense looking at your experience and knowledge from university. I mean those, next to others, were your main subjects, if I remember correctly. Although I am not so sure if the "value" part was so big a deal in college, this particular way of describing it seems to come from yourself and your observational skills). He goes also into the psychological groundworks of why people are successful, like not giving up after a failure, and another, and another, and keep on fighting.
    Best wishes,
    Gepi

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019 at 8:36 AM
    harlansjobs likes this.
  6. AlexFS

AlexFS New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $21
    People like to have hope, and this book sells it to them, and everyone wants to know the answer right away or the easy way of getting rich. Robert Kiyosaki's book is good if you have no idea about the concepts he talks about, just to open up your mind to the possibilities, but nothing further than that. There will always be people trying to sell snake oil.

By the way I think the original concept of "The secret" or whatever you want to call it was written by William D. Wattles - The Science of getting rich

It is really interesting how old this idea is, and how old ideas keep getting repackaged and sold to the masses. The concept of history repeating itself over and over.

7. Suzanne Bazemore

Suzanne Bazemore Act until echo. Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $772
    @Andy Black , RDPD was the first financial book I read, too. I found it very helpful to me for where I was on finances at the time.
    I have only read a bit of Think and Grow Rich, and I have listened to a podcast of The Secret. I took it more as this: focus and believe in yourself. In fact, I think that self-defeating thoughts are our own worst enemies. Changing your thought processes are critical to success. Successful people must believe in themselves, because, as Henry Ford said, "Whether you think you can, or think you can't - you're right."

Andy Black likes this.
  8. Suzanne Bazemore

Suzanne Bazemore Act until echo. Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $772
    @MJ DeMarco , I think what you experienced when you re-edited TMF is what many authors experience when they edit, multiple times, a book they wrote. I think editing something too many times can make an author hate it. I read TMF this summer, so it was probably your new version. I loved it, and it was very helpful to me. Then I read Unscripted hot on the heels of TMF, so I forget to which book I should attribute my thoughts. I was pleased that they contained such different material.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.