The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Napoleon Hill was a notorious Scam artist before writing Think And Grow Rich, arrested many times.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Most people I've noticed touting Napolean Hill have dillusions of grandeur selling for an MLM.

I never cared for TAGR.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
+1. Hill's writing reminds me of the "just think positively and you'll win the lottery, find your soulmate, etc" new-agey fluff that it spawned. TMF is **real** and actionable.

Don't get me wrong, I fully believe in the importance of positive thinking. If you're not positive about your goal, you will not put in the effort to achieve that goal. But the action is the magic sauce, not the positive thinking. Positive thinking without effort will get you nowhere, 99.999% of the time. I mean even if you're sure your positive vibes will win the lottery, you still gotta buy a ticket...

And there it is folks! Rep+

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
A lot of people much more successful than me have recommended it.
That’s. the one thing that make me curious if I’m missing something. But I’ve also read you have to get the 1937 version because there’s something about the original language that makes bells go off. From Amazon:

The BEST version is the 1937 ORIGINAL.

Most interestingly, these revised/updated versions remove essential key words such as the word VIBRATIONS. The removal/substitution of this word completely changes the context of the sentence. I am a fairly spiritual person and reading the original unmodified 1937 version was MUCH MORE PROFOUND to me. In fact, so much of an affect that in 6 months of reading the original my salary increased by 50% WHILE working from home 98%. Naturally, I gave away all of the other versions I had
I don’t know. I’m gonna give it another chance based on your guys’ recommendation. Maybe the 1937 verson will resonate more.

superado

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 6, 2018
San Francisco
After having a copy of TAGR for decades and not reading it and eventually loosing it, I finally borrowed the audio CDs from my library. I got through most of it, but skipped some content, then reached a point when some of the stuff NH was saying seemed sketchy. I then looked for some online critiques and one (I can't remember the source) pretty much summarized it well: The practical principles, including the "wisdom" gleaned from successful personalities he interviewed are good as a whole, but the third of his book that delved into his unsubstantiated philosophies were not. NH should just have stopped short of including that material.

Around that time over a year ago I also read the two, "You Are a Badass" books by Jen Sincero (who recommended TAGR, which is why I then read that) and the common thread her philosophy had with NH that if we will our success intensely enough, the Universe will come through. There were examples of unexpected events taking place that turned out to be critical, yet occurring totally out of happenstance outside of the author's planning or intentional action. It's this premise, which I think seriously undermines the role and function of reason, is what weakens the entire argument of such philosophies like hers and NH's.

Noor Uddin

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jul 29, 2014
Hill's work helped me develop a never-give-up attitude.

If before I read his book, I knew what I know about him now, I would not have read his book.

I now only believe in taking guidance from people who are known millionaires. I've gained more value from reading books by the likes of MJ DeMarco, Felix Dennis, and Duncan Bannatyne, than I have from the likes of Napoleon Hill.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Also, another thing...

And I cannot stress this enough:

Positive visualization is bullshit and will be detrimental to your success.

I really can not stress that enough.

Why? Your brain is motivated by different chemicals. When you think about or visualize attaining your goal your brain feels good. It says “ahhhh, we made it! this feels good! no need to expend any more energy! we already got the reward we want!” If I need to provide evidence for that, I will.

Screen Shot 2018-09-08 at 2.01.24 AM.png
Dr Gabriele Oettingen, PhD goes over this extensively in her book “Rethinking Positive Thinking”

rethinking-positive-thinking-cover.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00INIXT40/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

The bottom line is that when you’re overconfident you don’t take the proper steps to prepare and do what you need to succeed. A realistic view of your obstacles is always best.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Via New York Times:

There appears to be a physiological basis for this effect: Studies show that just fantasizing about a wish lowers blood pressure, while thinking of that same wish — and considering not getting it — raises blood pressure. It may feel better to daydream, but it leaves you less energized and less prepared for action.

Strikingly, the students who were told to think positively felt far less energized and accomplished than those who were instructed to have a neutral fantasy. Blind optimism, it turns out, does not motivate people; instead, as Dr. Oettingen shows in a series of clever experiments, it creates a sense of relaxation complacency. It is as if in dreaming or fantasizing about something we want, our minds are tricked into believing we have attained the desired goal.

In comparison, Dr. Oettingen came up with a visualization technique called Mental Contrasting which involved being realistic about the obstacles standing in the way:

In one study, she taught a group of third graders a mental-contrast exercise: They were told to imagine a candy prize they would receive if they finished a language assignment, and then to imagine several of their own behaviors that could prevent them from winning. A second group of students was instructed only to fantasize about winning the prize. The students who did the mental contrast outperformed those who just dreamed.

So much for the relentless “you can do it” attitude that pervades our culture. Apparently, being mindful not just of your dreams, but also of the real barriers that you or the world place in their way, is a far more effective way of achieving your goals.

Instead, she offers a simpler and faster alternative, an extension of her empirically validated mental contrasting exercise. She calls it WOOP — which stands for “wish, outcome, obstacle, plan.”

According to preliminary data the author presents, mental contrasting can lead to better eating habits, an improved exercise regimen and greater control over alcohol consumption, among other benefits.

Dare to Dream of Falling Short

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Positive visualization is bullshit and will be detrimental to your success.

I really can not stress that enough.

So your method is to do the opposite of bullshit, which I am going to assume is negative visualization. Sure. If you did more in life, you would rely much less on what you have heard, and instead of what you have done, and you would know what really works, and what is drivel.

The bottom line is that when you’re overconfident you don’t take the proper steps to prepare and do what you need to succeed. A realistic view of your obstacles is always best.

Do you know why so many people settle for just average? Because they don't have big enough goals. They don't have big enough dreams. They don't have the confidence that they can achieve what they planned to do. So they stop somewhere along the way - never meeting their goals. Why is that? Is it they just don't "know" enough, or they don't work "hard" enough? No - it's because they TALK THEMSELVES out of it. Nobody can convince you or I to quit - to give up - to settle. Except ourselves. So what separates the ones that ARE successful and meeting their goals and the ones that stop short of success? ATTITUDE. BELIEF. Not JUST confidence, but MORE than than - and what is more than confidences? It's OVER confidence. Your quote sounds EXACTLY like an excuse for NOT achieving a worthy goal. Well I tried - it just didn't work because... and anyway, a REALISTIC VIEW OF MY OBSTACLES IS ALWAYS BEST. No you didn't try - you GAVE UP. Big difference. Maybe you actually couldn't reach your goal - so what do you do then? Do you give up? NO. You adjust. Realign your goal. And THEN you CONTINUE. Or.... NOT. Behind it all is confidence and perseverance. Call it any fancy word of the day that you want to - winners know what it is, and HOW to achieve it.

In one study, she taught a group of third graders a mental-contrast exercise: They were told to imagine a candy prize they would receive if they finished a language assignment, and then to imagine several of their own behaviors that could prevent them from winning. A second group of students was instructed only to fantasize about winning the prize. The students who did the mental contrast outperformed those who just dreamed.

ONE study? Third graders? Dreaming of candy? Sheeet. Don't waste my time with drivel like this. You attack and demean a great man, and THEN back up your weak opinions based on ONE study with THIRD GRADERS? If that's the best you can do, you can leave now.

Instead, she offers a simpler and faster alternative, an extension of her empirically validated mental contrasting exercise. She calls it WOOP — which stands for “wish, outcome, obstacle, plan.”

According to preliminary data the author presents, mental contrasting can lead to better eating habits, an improved exercise regimen and greater control over alcohol consumption, among other benefits.

Oh, her own little acronym. How cute. Probably a decade of schooling and this is what we get as a result of that? What's next? Study third graders? Oh, my bad - we did that already!

One more study by one more graduate of psychology somewhere, that we are supposed to take seriously and believe? "She" should get a real job and achieve something meaningful, instead of telling me about my eating habits, et al. So many idiots in the world - and way too many people that stop and listen to their drivel.

I have shelves full of books by people that DO know what they are talking about. I don't need to study third graders thinking processes, or my eating habits - "among other benefits." Ha.... These are the people "doing studies" that think they know something, which George Carlin and Sam Kinison would rip apart. I think George and Sam were on to something, based not on academia, but their own "real" life experiences. I can only imagine how they would shred this, in short order.

FIND the answers you need to succeed, and then embrace them and engage action. It's that simple, and the answers have been out there for a very very long time.

A long long time ago I heard it this, (which is a cornerstone of how I think and act) “Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, the mind can achieve.” And who came up with that, do you suppose? It is one of Napoleon Hill's more famous quotes.

believe it will work.jpg

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France
So your method is to do the opposite of bullshit, which I am going to assume is negative visualization. Sure. If you did more in life, you would rely much less on what you have heard, and instead of what you have done, and you would know what really works, and what is drivel.

Do you know why so many people settle for just average? Because they don't have big enough goals. They don't have big enough dreams. They don't have the confidence that they can achieve what they planned to do. So they stop somewhere along the way - never meeting their goals. Why is that? Is it they just don't "know" enough, or they don't work "hard" enough? No - it's because they TALK THEMSELVES out of it. Nobody can convince you or I to quit - to give up - to settle. Except ourselves. So what separates the ones that ARE successful and meeting their goals and the ones that stop short of success? ATTITUDE. BELIEF. Not JUST confidence, but MORE than than - and what is more than confidences? It's OVER confidence. Your quote sounds EXACTLY like an excuse for NOT achieving a worthy goal. Well I tried - it just didn't work because... and anyway, a REALISTIC VIEW OF MY OBSTACLES IS ALWAYS BEST. No you didn't try - you GAVE UP. Big difference. Maybe you actually couldn't reach your goal - so what do you do then? Do you give up? NO. You adjust. Realign your goal. And THEN you CONTINUE. Or.... NOT. Behind it all is confidence and perseverance. Call it any fancy word of the day that you want to - winners know what it is, and HOW to achieve it.

ONE study? Third graders? Dreaming of candy? Sheeet. Don't waste my time with drivel like this. You attack and demean a great man, and THEN back up your weak opinions based on ONE study with THIRD GRADERS? If that's the best you can do, you can leave now.

Oh, her own little acronym. How cute. Probably a decade of schooling and this is what we get as a result of that? What's next? Study third graders? Oh, my bad - we did that already!

One more study by one more graduate of psychology somewhere, that we are supposed to take seriously and believe? "She" should get a real job and achieve something meaningful, instead of telling me about my eating habits, et al. So many idiots in the world - and way too many people that stop and listen to their drivel.

I have shelves full of books by people that DO know what they are talking about. I don't need to study third graders thinking processes, or my eating habits - "among other benefits." Ha.... These are the people "doing studies" that think they know something, which George Carlin and Sam Kinison would rip apart. I think George and Sam were on to something, based not on academia, but their own "real" life experiences. I can only imagine how they would shred this, in short order.

FIND the answers you need to succeed, and then embrace them and engage action. It's that simple, and the answers have been out there for a very very long time.

A long long time ago I heard it this, (which is a cornerstone of how I think and act) “Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, the mind can achieve.” And who came up with that, do you suppose? It is one of Napoleon Hill's more famous quotes.

View attachment 21482

thanks

the only things that matter in the book are these quotations :

" In speaking of the first meeting between Barnes and Edison, years later, Mr. Edison said, “He stood there before me, looking like an ordinary tramp,

but there was something in the expression of his face which conveyed the impression that he was determined to get what he had come after."

"It could not have been the young man’s appearance which got him his start in the Edison office, for that was definitely against him. It was what he THOUGHT that counted.

If the significance of this statement could be conveyed to every person who reads it, there would be no need for the remainder of this book. "

people don't really understand what we are saying here

the entire book is all about these 2 quotations

the rest of the book is just common sense to fill the book in order to sell it

you can't sell 2 quotations and 200 blank pages : people would be furious !

this is the yang principle at work : the force of determination

yann yin.jpg

Your Boy George

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Dec 2, 2017
Austin, Texas
I read that whole article/expose on Napoleon Hill too. Kinda disappointing as Think And Grow Rich was the single book that turned me on to Entrepreneurship (just as I suppose Millionaire Fastlane might've been for others). Needless to say, I honestly can't stomach re-reading it like I do with my handful of favorite books.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja

Actually yes it’s funny you mention that because I’ve used negative visualization, and holy F*ck does that work. If you want ANYTHING to motivate your a$$ into making money full gear spend 10 minutes visualizing what it would be like to be completely broke and lose everything. Holy shit is that energizing.

ONE study?

No, there are literally a few dozen in all different scenario with similar findings. And we can’t find any evidence of positive visualization having any positive effect. By every test conducted: positive visualization has negative effects, The Secret isn’t true, Rhonda Byrne is a liar. I apologize if we shit in your cereal.

I have shelves full of books by people that DO know what they are talking about.

Hmm. Can you please list some of the authors? The ones that do know what they’re talking about. Just out of curiosity. What are their names.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
I still love this:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Around that time over a year ago I also read the two, "You Are a Badass" books by Jen Sincero (who recommended TAGR, which is why I then read that) and the common thread her philosophy had with NH that if we will our success intensely enough, the Universe will come through. There were examples of unexpected events taking place that turned out to be critical, yet occurring totally out of happenstance outside of the author's planning or intentional action. It's this premise, which I think seriously undermines the role and function of reason, is what weakens the entire argument of such philosophies like hers and NH's.

Hill openly described visits from spirits in Chapter 12 of his book, Grow Rich! With Peace of Mind (1967). He described them as unseen friends, unseen watchers, strange beings, and the Great School of Masters that had been guarding him, and who maintain a "school of wisdom". Hill states that the "Master" spoke to him audibly, revealing secret knowledge. Hill further insists that the Masters "can disembody themselves and travel instantly to any place they choose in order to acquire essential knowledge, or to give knowledge directly, by voice, to anyone else." Grow Rich! With Peace of Mind was allegedly influenced by Hill's spirit voices; Hill cites the "Master", saying, "Much of what he said already has been presented to you in the chapters of this book or will follow in other chapters.."

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
And we can’t find any evidence of positive visualization having any positive effect. By every test conducted: positive visualization has negative effects, The Secret isn’t true, Rhonda Byrne is a liar. I apologize if we sh*t in your cereal.

You can't find ANY?

And by EVERY test conducted...

You really have a ton to learn about concepts. In the world of success, the words NEVER, and EVERY don't exist. And I'll leave the couldn't find any argument to the hundreds of motivational authors/speakers that have been around for decades.

You have a closed mind. MUST - NEVER - EVERY - ALWAYS - these are self imposed limitations. I don't have the space here, nor the time, to explain that concept to you. You'll just have to take my word for it when I say, you don't know what you don't know. Think about that. It's one of the basic truths of life, and until you understand it, you will NEVER (there's that self imposed word again...) realize your full potential.

So I guess we can scratch NEVER off the list, right?

If your crude closing remark wasn't so unbelievably immature, I'd have given you more insight. But since you can't get past the concepts I've already touched on, that would be a waste of time and effort anyway.

Go find a study on FOURTH graders and tell me how to think and be successful. LOL.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
You can't find ANY?

And by EVERY test conducted...

You really have a ton to learn about concepts. In the world of success, the words NEVER, and EVERY don't exist. And I'll leave the couldn't find any argument to the hundreds of motivational authors/speakers that have been around for decades.

You have a closed mind. MUST - NEVER - EVERY - ALWAYS - these are self imposed limitations. I don't have the space here, nor the time, to explain that concept to you. You'll just have to take my word for it when I say, you don't know what you don't know. Think about that. It's one of the basic truths of life, and until you understand it, you will NEVER (there's that self imposed word again...) realize your full potential.

So I guess we can scratch NEVER off the list, right?

If your crude closing remark wasn't so unbelievably immature, I'd have given you more insight. But since you can't get past the concepts I've already touched on, that would be a waste of time and effort anyway.

Go find a study on FOURTH graders and tell me how to think and be successful. LOL.

Which are the authors that do know what they’re talking about? I’m curious. Just a few examples.

I have shelves full of books by people that DO know what they are talking about.

Which

Last edited:

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Which are the authors that do know what they’re talking about? I’m curious. Just a few examples.

LOL.

I didn't pay close enough attention to your post. Your tag line says it all.

guru tag.JPG

You are, or at least want to be, a guru of the first magnitude. A worthy goal for anyone. However, anyone that thinks they know what you say you do in your tag line is not going to listen to someone like me. All I know is what I've learned from the "masters" over the past 30 years or so. And I have a long ways to go.

"What" you say is that you know the secrets. "How" you say it is completely opposite of that.

No wonder you value a study on third graders. In the future, I'd highly advise you to not bring that piece of information up to anyone. [Mic drop]

You just go on your way, thinking that you know something profound. And I'll keep reading the most highly acclaimed books of our times, while I learn and grow a little bit more each day.

But, in the interest of a good debate, I will leave you with ONE author that you can discredit here. Only because you asked...

MJ DeMarco. Have at it.

(This will be worth the price of admission alone...)

Last edited:

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja

You have a closed mind. MUST - NEVER - EVERY - ALWAYS - these are self imposed limitations.
LOL. Yea, just like physics.

I didn't pay close enough attention to your post. Your tag line says it all.

View attachment 21484

Very good. You learned to copy and paste.

But, in the interest of a good debate, I will leave you with ONE author that you can discredit here. Only because you asked...

MJ DeMarco. Have at it.

(This will be worth the price of admission alone...)

Yes, MJ does know what he’s talking about. Which is why he doesn’t spew Positive Thinking Visualization Fairy Bullshit all over the pages of books. MJ is respectable enough to not ruin perfectly good blank paper with that retarded gibberish.

But what other authors ‘know what they’re talking about’? You used that comment as evidence that your positive visualization stuff was right, then you cite an author that has never suggested people ‘positively visualize’. So which were the authors, that support positive visualization... that know what they’re talking about. You said it, so which are they?

No wonder you value a study on third graders. In the future, I'd advise to not bring that piece of information up to anyone. [Mic drop]

Thank you for dropping the mic. People were starting to get a headache. And you thinking the age of the participants in a study had bearing on it’s validity (especially when there are like 5 dozen corroborating studies on the bullshit of positive visualization,) makes you look like a dimwit that doesn’t want to understand the scientific method. I don’t mean that as an insult, but if you want to be taken seriously, I highly suggest you learn how studies work. We do studies on chimpanzees and we can extrapolate valuable data from those studies. But it doesn’t matter becasue I honestly haven’t taken one word you typed seriously. You literally cited Sam Kinison and George Carlin and tried to say that anecdotal knowledge is more valid than empirical findings. I can’t tell if you’r trolling or you’re just 19. You really sound like me when I was 19 and I honestly just can’t take you seriously. So while I’m humoring you here and entertaining myself, don’t get all high and mighty thinking you’ve made a valid point while flailing away at your Caps Locks key. Because while you might impress your friends from the Alex Jones show, you’re just making anyone with any type of education just roll their eyes right now. “Never, always and every are self imposed limitations.” as if reality is just some illusion. (and DON’T try to take Einstein quotes out of context like the rest of these Quantum-quackary dipshits.) Self-imposed limitations. Dude.. I can’t. Reality is real. Period.

But I’m still curious who you think know what they’re talking about. I’m guessing Rhonda Byrne, Abraham Hicks, and the rest of the teachers from The Secret are high on your list.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdtqLNeK6Ww

Last edited:

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
LOL. Yea, just like physics.

Very good. You learned to copy and paste.

Yes, MJ does know what he’s talking about. Which is why he doesn’t spew Positive Thinking Visualization Fairy Bullshit all over the pages of books. MJ is respectable enough to not ruin perfectly good blank paper with that retarded gibberish.

But what other authors ‘know what they’re talking about’? You used that comment as evidence that your positive visualization stuff was right, then you cite an author that has never suggested people ‘positively visualize’. So which were the authors, that support positive visualization... that know what they’re talking about. You said it, so which are they?

So which are they? How about you?

In your other post about Nightingales "The Strangest Secret" you heavily promote the benefits of positive thinking. Guru much?

I'm beginning to think you're a troll that just comes here to stir things up and get some attention.

On the other post, you're all for positive thinking. So which way do you want it? You argue here, but promote there. Kind of stings when you look in the mirror doesn't it?

It's a waste of time to debate someone that doesn't know much, and doesn't have a definite view point. I was like that. Most of us were. But we outgrew it.

Our educated youth. Know so much, while conveying so little. Confidence is what gets you through the time of your life when you need something to make up for what you don't know yet. You just have way too much of that, and you're way too cocky. The sooner you realize that, the sooner you'll move on to the next phase. A guru you are not.

Say what you mean. But since you can't do even that much, you have no credibility. {dial tone}

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Positive thinking ≠ positive visualization
27:12 ≠ being about positive thinking
27:12 = creating value

Enough.

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Positive thinking ≠ positive visualization
27:12 ≠ being about positive thinking
27:12 = creating value

Enough.

First of all, if you want to add something, don't go backwards and double your earlier post. Bad form.

Luckily, I replied to your earlier post, so you can see it in its original, much shorter, format that I had responded to, which is attached to my post. In my line of work that would be called "misleading" which is a direct lead in to fraud. Pretty serious. Heard of a slippery slope? Now you know even more.

Now back to your quote of 27:12. You want to be a word smith and create and/or derive your own interpretation from a snippet? Fine. Go for it.

But if we expand your snippet just a little bit, so we may gain a more fuller understand of the true meaning... in the same recording which you cite, at 26:15, it begins with "worry brings fear..." and it goes on to specifically say to not worry. Let's go ahead to 26:53, which further expounds on that, saying "if you sow negative thoughts..." and continues to stress the importance of positive thinking.

In fact, the entire message which you cite greatly expounds on the VERY beneficial effects of positive thinking. So that brings us back to the point of you wanting an author that promotes positive thinking. Nightingale said it directly, and you endorsed it.

Here's something for your brain to chew on. Where do you think Nightingale come up with this profound message that has been so well received, for well over a half century now - even by you?

He got it from the man that you are bashing here on this thread: Mr. Napoleon Hill. Funny how things logically connect sometimes, isn't it? You say Hill was a fraud, but you promote Nightingale. And, underlying this whole thing, is you promoting yourself through your detailed analysis of this time tested and admired concept.

So you rip apart Hill - let's take a closer look at Nightingale then...

"After the war, Nightingale began work in the radio industry, which eventually resulted in work as a motivational speaker. During the autumn of 1949, Nightingale was inspired while reading Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill.[7] Quoting from the Earl Nightingale official website: "When he was 29, Earl's enlightenment had come to him as a bolt out of the blue while reading, Think and Grow Rich. It came when he realized that the six words he read were the answer to the question he had been looking for! That, 'we become what we think about'." Earl Nightingale - Wikipedia

After a diligent search, I also was not able to find any "true" business success stories that Nightingale achieved, other than writing and speaking "about" success - rather than actually achieving it himself. Isn't that exactly what you bash Hill about?

And re: Hill - I don’t know if it’s wise to take success advice from someone who’s only success was selling success advice.

Let's not mince words. IF we talk concept, Nightingale is widely respected as a genius. He himself attributes that to Hill. @Fox summed it up nicely with the following;

The book is over 80 years old. Find me a workout book or technical guide that also hasn't become outdated in that time too. Some of the language used is goofy but so would a book written today be in another 80 years.

Its one of the first books on mindset, self belief, and visualisation. It was an early non scientific take on some pretty in-depth topics.

I think its aged well and is a good beginner read on success principles. You don't have to take on board everything but the overall concepts are sound.

As for did he meet these people or not - I don't really care. He definitely studied them one way or another and distilled some good overall principles people can use. A lot of people much more successful than me have recommended it.

Along with Hill, it seems like Nightingale was (ALSO) quite the promoter, or motivational speaker if we embrace modern terminology. Perhaps even guru? Now your tag line makes even more sense! Gurus find gurus, and word smith their way into their own special segment of authority! At least Nightingale gave credit to Hill. I have to admire him for that much. I may be on to something here! Since I can question and refute the highly acclaimed studies of third graders and chimpanzees, I may be a guru of sorts myself. I place huge weight on Nightingale and Hill - not as much on chimps and children swayed by candy rewards. Do they really teach that stuff in college today? I suppose they have to fill up their curriculum with something. I remember reading about Jane Goodall and her ape studies. And several about pygmies that had never seen modern civilization. I learned so much from chimps and pygmies, and have used that knowledge so much in my life. For example, from Jane Goodall; "There are certain characteristics that define a good chimp mother. She is patient, she is protective but she is not over-protective - that is really important. She is tolerant, but she can impose discipline. She is affectionate. She plays. And the most important of all: she is supportive." Jane Goodall Quotes Now who CAN'T use knowledge like that?

Tell me more about third graders. I know a lot about chimps and apes. I remember reading a book titled "All I ever needed to know I learned in Kindergarten." I must really be impressing you by now. No, on second thought, let's not go there.

How did that end up working out for Nightingale anyway? "During his lifetime, Nightingale wrote and recorded more than 7,000 radio programs, 250 audio programs as well as television programs and videos." Earl Nightingale - Wikipedia

Quite well.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Luckily, I replied to your earlier post, so you can see it in its original, much shorter, format that I had responded to, which is attached to my post. In my line of work that would be called "misleading" which is a direct lead in to fraud. Pretty serious. Heard of a slippery slope? Now you know even more.
It was edited before you replied. It’s not my fault your dumb a$$ didn’t read it right.

And that’s not what slippery slope means, you halfbreed.

And I know the connection between Hill / Stone / Nightingale

I place huge weight on Nightingale and Hill - not as much on chimps and children swayed by candy rewards. Do they really teach that stuff in college today? I suppose they have to fill up their curriculum with something.

Which is exactly why you are the way you are.

I must really be impressing you by now. No, on second thought, let's not go there.

I assure you that is definitely definitely definitely definitely not the case. I honestly am starting to think that you’re a brain tumor that sprouted fingers.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
@ChrisV . I am not thin skinned and believe that everyone has an opinion. That is a good thing. Everyone's perception allows them to live their life according to how they view our reality.

You have basically stated how ludicrous my beliefs are to you with many of your statements. I meditate, look for visions, and follow them in decision making. Works for me. I also believe that we are linked to the spirit world in many ways that we don't understand.

I am certainly not telling you that you are wrong. Nor that your opinion is less than mine. But everyone that reads this thread know what your opinion is ad nauseam.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
You have basically stated how ludicrous my beliefs are to you with many of your statements. I meditate, look for visions, and follow them in decision making.

I do basically the same thing. When I have a problem I think to my brain “okay here’s the problem... I’m trusting you to deliver me a solution” and wait. Then the next day or so out of nowhere a solution will pop up. I’ve spoken about that technique on this forum although I’d have to find the posts. It’s called incubation. So I’m definitely not sure I’d agree with calling it ludicrous.

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
@ChrisV . I am not thin skinned and believe that everyone has an opinion. That is a good thing. Everyone's perception allows them to live their life according to how they view our reality.

You have basically stated how ludicrous my beliefs are to you with many of your statements. I meditate, look for visions, and follow them in decision making. Works for me. I also believe that we are linked to the spirit world in many ways that we don't understand.

I am certainly not telling you that you are wrong. Nor that your opinion is less than mine. But everyone that reads this thread know what your opinion is ad nauseam.

Always love your posts @SteveO. I was not looking for this, but when I found it, I knew it had to go here.

It can really be a mantra to live your entire life by. I have no doubt your success is due in large part to exactly what this says. Mine too.

So, to affirm what we know to be true, I leave these words, by a far better man than most of us will ever be;

keep your thoughts positive.JPG

Lionhearted

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
May 29, 2012
Killeen Texas
I do this as well. Yes, it works.

I ask my brain “How can I solve this problem” forget about it, and randomly in a day or a few days, it just finishes processing then pops the answer into my head.

In psychology they call it Incubation.

Incubation (psychology) - Wikipedia

Incubation is one of the four proposed stages of creativity, which are preparation, incubation, illumination, and verification.[1] Incubation is defined as a process of unconscious recombination of thought elements that were stimulated through conscious work at one point in time, resulting in novel ideas at some later point in time.[2] Incubation is related to intuition and insight in that it is the unconscious part of a process whereby an intuition may become validated as an insight. Incubation substantially increases the odds of solving a problem, and benefits from long incubation periods with low cognitive workloads.[3]

The experience of leaving a problem for a period of time and then finding that the difficulty evaporates on returning to the problem, or, even more striking, that the solution "comes out of the blue" when thinking about something else, is widespread. Many guides to effective thinking and problem solving advise the reader to set problems aside for a time.

Millionaire Fastlane Unscripted .

These: Books Fastlaners Recommend

And re: Hill - I don’t know if it’s wise to take success advice from someone who’s only success was selling success advice.
I think Grant Cardone's Sell or be Sold should be in that list as well. His philosophy that sales extends into just about EVERY aspect of life, blew my mind when I understood the premise was true. Very sobering for those who say ,"They don't like sales." If you don't like sales get ready to have a pretty miserable and mediocre life. All the best.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.