The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The one and only fasting video you need to see.

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
The only one fact due to which I'll even try this, is the mental clarity.

If I lose a few pounds besides, nice.

THANKS!

Was it you who posted the thread about feeling groggy after eating? I'll read it when I get a chance and see if there is anything there I might notice that will perhaps help you.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
I didn't do the BCAAs myself (I'd read about it), but it still worked out well.
I don't really have reference points without BCAA, so they might be completely useless for what we know.
If I don't take them I have less energy during lifting and perform worse, though, so it works out.
Not sure about the second part though, that's exactly what the video tells you not to do because it doesn't work. Would be a good idea to see a doctor though :thumbsup:.
What exactly? Low calories instead of complete starvation?
How can it not work? It's far below maintenance. It's also what they do to very obese people to lose weight before surgery, I think.

I'll watch the video though, maybe tonight if I have time. Sounds interesting.

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
I don't really have reference points without BCAA, so they might be completely useless for what we know.
If I don't take them I have less energy during lifting and perform worse, though, so it works out.
What exactly? Low calories instead of complete starvation?
How can it not work? It's far below maintenance. It's also what they do to very obese people to lose weight before surgery, I think.

I'll watch the video though, maybe tonight if I have time. Sounds interesting.

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough there. Short version? Restricting calories = more willpower required and can cause yo-yo dieting.

He makes a great point that fasting is actually less work, because you don't have to cook or buy anything.

I wouldn't say low calories doesn't work at all, but I've lost count of the amount of calorie cutters I know who never keep the weight off.

Some other personal notes:

• I fast, but I haven't changed my diet in any major way to accommodate it.
  • Feel sluggish while fasting? Have some black Coffee/Tea (little to no calories, doesn't interfere with fasting AFAIK).

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
Oh, I agree 100%. It's actually the reason why I started IF in the first place.

The user was talking about not eating at all though - that is surely unsustainable too.

This is why I like having only one meal a day. It saves time, and it's much easier to be disciplined when you have to watch yourself only in one meal.

I wouldn't know because I've never tried it. I'm not sure I'd want to either. :)

Spicymemer45

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 30, 2016
Butner, NC
What? You guys are confusing me. Jason Fung in the video didn't say willpower was the reason for yo-yo dieting. He said your base metabolic rate is.

He also says fasting is more sustainable than anything else. Obviously I can't fast forever. But it would be more sustainable because my metabolism won't be insanely low when I start eating again.

He says when you eat you produce insulin which blocks your body from burning fat. So eating 6 small meals a day means you only lose weight in your sleep while you fast and have low insulin. Since now your body only burns what you eat for most of the day and you aren't eating enough your body just lowers your metabolism until its so low you have to cave, since that is your bodies only defense mechanism.

But he says if you fast then your body doesn't have to resort to lowering your metabolism as much since your body is free to burn your fat storage on your body because there is no insulin to block it.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

You're correct, don't worry ;)

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
What? You guys are confusing me. Jason Fung in the video didn't say willpower was the reason for yo-yo dieting. He said your base metabolic rate is.

He also says fasting is more sustainable than anything else. Obviously I can't fast forever. But it would be more sustainable because my metabolism won't be insanely low when I start eating again.

He says when you eat you produce insulin which blocks your body from burning fat. So eating 6 small meals a day means you only lose weight in your sleep while you fast and have low insulin. Since now your body only burns what you eat for most of the day and you aren't eating enough your body just lowers your metabolism until its so low you have to cave, since that is your body's only defense mechanism.

But he says if you fast then your body doesn't have to resort to lowering your metabolism as much since your body is free to burn your fat storage on your body because there is no insulin to block it.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

You're absolutely right!

I was trying to simplify it further so I didn't go rambling and end up transcribing the whole video. I didn't mean to make it read like they both went together/caused each other.

Yo-yo dieting = Insulin like you mentioned.
Willpower = More cooking, more groceries, more money spent, etc.

VDon

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Jul 27, 2016
F*ck it. I'll do it. This is January 10th and I weigh 295lbs. When I was in shape I weighed between 210 and 220. I'll stop eating entirely and post results. I've been trying to lose weight for months now.. Let's see what happens.

Thanks for the vid If I get back down to where I want by doing this I will give you Rep. If I die no rep for you.

I weigh around 277 lbs and will try to fast as long as possible. I expect to stop tomorrow afternoon, but who knows.

lewj24

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 12, 2016
St. Louis, MO
I expect to stop tomorrow afternoon.

Bitch, you failed when you said this. But you don't have to go hard like I'm trying. I've just been struggling for so long and I know what weight I should be at and I'm also a pretty healthy 21 year old on no medication so I'm going to say yolo and try it and see what happens. It sounds like Intermittent fasting is the easiest way to go to achieve similar results. I plan on doing that once I start eating again.

#nowhere

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Jan 29, 2016
Germany
Bitch, you failed when you said this. But you don't have to go hard like I'm trying. I've just been struggling for so long and I know what weight I should be at and I'm also a pretty healthy 21 year old on no medication so I'm going to say yolo and try it and see what happens. It sounds like Intermittent fasting is the easiest way to go to achieve similar results. I plan on doing that once I start eating again.

You do want to fast until you lost that weight you carry above your desired weight?? Are we talking days or months?

lewj24

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 12, 2016
St. Louis, MO
You do want to fast until you lost that weight you carry above your desired weight?? Are we talking days or months?

That is the goal. I'm not sure how long it will take. I'm trying to lose about 80lbs so you could guess it would take at least 80 days at a pound per day but more realistically it would be 160 days at a half a pound per day. Again I just made that up, I have no idea how fast I will lose weight.

If I start feeling shitty I will start eating again. But even if I do I will intermittent fast to hopefully keep losing weight.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
Then a long fasting regimen with fewer meals could possibly be the wrong choice in this situation...

been doing it for months now and haven't lost any weight!

It's all about the calories, doesn't matter if u eat them in 3 meals or 1 meal.

In fact i hear fasting slows metabolism but who knows if that's true.

#nowhere

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Jan 29, 2016
Germany
been doing it for months now and haven't lost any weight!

It's all about the calories, doesn't matter if u eat them in 3 meals or 1 meal.

In fact i hear fasting slows metabolism but who knows if that's true.

Just to be clear: I do fast, too. But I don't struggle to gain weight (while lifting). Do you want to gain weight or just leave it as it is?

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
Just to be clear: I do fast, too. But I don't struggle to gain weight (while lifting). Do you want to gain weight or just leave it as it is?

gain, and i am very very slowly.
I'm happy with my progress so far. in 2-3 years im gonna be a greek god forever.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
The video that was posted seemed to show data that suggested the exact opposite.

It seemed that a lack of calories over the long term dropped metabolic rate in all cases but fasting actually kept it high. Similarly it seemed insulin sensitivity goes down with calorie reduced diets but goes up while fasting.

Frankly I'd love to learn more of the science behind all this. Most resources stick to purely "calories in, calories out" or "fasting is awesome" but I'm a data kind of guy so I'd love to find more science-backed research into what the hell goes on in our bodies during these states.

I do believe there's been studies relating to religious fasting, like Ramadan.
ramadan fasting - Google Search

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
Are you counting everything as fasting? By that I mean drinks too (except water, tea, coffee (with no milk/sugar/sweetener).

The first time I tried doing this, without hearing about what it was to be entirely honest, I kept thinking; "why am I not losing any weight? I'm not eating ANYTHING!" And I wasn't at the time, I was on a liquid diet. The problem was that my liquid diet consisted of fake calories (aspartame, sweeteners etc.) and also, I didn't factor in other otherwise non-fast interfering liquids. Black coffee is fine, but add in some milk and you could be breaking the fast.

It's not a settled thing by any stretch either, but it seems to work for the majority. Maybe you need something else? Either way, I hope you find what works for you.

i drink tea with honey during my morning work outs, i don't count that.
actually i drink a ton of tea throughut the day.

I only count meals but i also do my best not to snack for the sake of snacking.

Drinking helps a ton with any stomach churning feelings, but those feelinsg also lessen over time.

In the past if i skipped breakfast I would feel a hunger pang on the train to work. Now i can go almost the entire day without major hunger pangs. I get a small one at 16+ hours maybe.

But it varies a lot too, tis the human body after all lol

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
You should count it, that's probably why it isn't working. Properly fasting means zero calories.

How many calories in a teaspoon of honey? (21 according to google, but probably varies a lot).

Well agree to disagree i guess :)
I don't think it means zero calories, especially if i work out and exercise at the same time.

I look at fasting as giving the digestive system a break, and allow the body to clear itself out.
I believe tea with honey is very very light work for the body to handle.

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
Well agree to disagree i guess :)
I don't think it means zero calories, especially if i work out and exercise at the same time.

I look at fasting as giving the digestive system a break, and allow the body to clear itself out.
I believe tea with honey is very very light work for the body to handle.

No. Sorry to be a shit, but that isn't how it works.

What you're doing (if you watched the video) is; you're about to go into the freezer and defrost some of that shit that has been in there for 3 months, then suddenly what happens? You reach inside the fridge and have a big gulp of calories. You no longer need to enter the freezer because you've got your fix.

The result? The shit in the freezer stays there.

I don't want to make my post sound like I'm attacking you, but I've been where you are now. I used to think regulating calories worked (it doesn't), then I thought I was fasting when I only ate 2 meals per day. But I wasn't, because I was drinking calories, and it got me nowhere.

I lost over 50 lbs with fasting. And it cost me nothing to do it. Literally. That's why I'm a big proponent of it.

All of that said, the fact you say you drink a ton of tea and work out, and depending on your BMI (which I won't get into here) you're probably pretty damn healthy anyway.

While I'm at it; I'm also not a big proponent of "weight" as a key sign of health. There are people who weigh 220lbs and look like adonis, and those who weigh 220lbs and, to put it politely, don't.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
No. Sorry to be a shit, but that isn't how it works.

What you're doing (if you watched the video) is; you're about to go into the freezer and defrost some of that shit that has been in there for 3 months, then suddenly what happens? You reach inside the fridge and have a big gulp of calories. You no longer need to enter the freezer because you've got your fix.

The result? The shit in the freezer stays there.

I don't want to make my post sound like I'm attacking you, but I've been where you are now. I used to think regulating calories worked (it doesn't), then I thought I was fasting when I only ate 2 meals per day. But I wasn't, because I was drinking calories, and it got me nowhere.

I lost over 50 lbs with fasting. And it cost me nothing to do it. Literally. That's why I'm a big proponent of it.

All of that said, the fact you say you drink a ton of tea and work out, and depending on your BMI (which I won't get into here) you're probably pretty damn healthy anyway.

While I'm at it; I'm also not a big proponent of "weight" as a key sign of health. There are people who weigh 220lbs and look like adonis, and those who weigh 220lbs and, to put it politely, don't.

Hmm that analogy doesn't make sense to me, the body won't hold on to the stuff you eat if you keep eating.
That 3 month in freezer thing is not an accurate comparison.

But on the other hand yes i agree if you consume too many calories, you're effectively ending the fast.

The tea with honey is barely 100 calories at most.
tea alone is 0 calories, i add nothing to it.
Plus liquids go through the digestive system very easily.
Now if i drank 4 cups of tea with honey, 400 calories worth of honey, then perhaps that's pushing it and that's too much sugar regardless.

I'm actually focusing on weight gain, i've always been skinny.

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
Hmm that analogy doesn't make sense to me, the body won't hold on to the stuff you eat if you keep eating.
That 3 month in freezer thing is not an accurate comparison.

But on the other hand yes i agree if you consume too many calories, you're effectively ending the fast.

The tea with honey is barely 100 calories at most.
tea alone is 0 calories, i add nothing to it.
Plus liquids go through the digestive system very easily.
Now if i drank 4 cups of tea with honey, 400 calories worth of honey, then perhaps that's pushing it and that's too much sugar regardless.

I'm actually focusing on weight gain, i've always been skinny.

I think it does work, that's what the video is all about.

Another way to put it would be:

You've got a truck with 2 gas tanks, the first tank you use regularly (consumed calories), but the second one has had fuel in it for however long and never gets used (body fat).

Just when your truck is about to switch to its secondary tank and use up some of that stored fuel (fat), you add a gallon of gas (your cup of honey tea in this case) to the front tank and the old fuel in the other tank continues to sit there.

Consuming calories will interrupt fasting. Honey will probably spike insulin too.

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
I think it does work, that's what the video is all about.

Another way to put it would be:

You've got a truck with 2 gas tanks, the first tank you use regularly (consumed calories), but the second one has had fuel in it for however long and never gets used (body fat).

Just when your truck is about to switch to its secondary tank and use up some of that stored fuel (fat), you add a gallon of gas (your cup of honey tea in this case) to the front tank and the old fuel in the other tank continues to sit there.

Consuming calories will interrupt fasting. Honey will probably spike insulin too.

ahh yes i read about what you're saying, the body entering fat burning mode and all that.
I've read it takes weeks to enter such a mode and you have to follow the Metabolic Diet to do so.

Once you're in the mode it's not so simple to get out of it either, it's not just fasting based.

I really don't believe drinking a cup of tea with honey would that strongly affect the body energy usage.
Also i drink the honey during or around the same time i work out, exercise, etc to prevent the sugar spike.

Sure i could be full of shit but whatever lol, I'm just happy to not be dependent on 3 meals a day. It simplifies my life massively. I can spend that time doing yoga or something and getting business done.

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
G

GuestUser450

So, breakfast this morning was homemade lemonade.
Just wondering if you're watching total carbs or if that was recommended? I'd think that sugar intake on a liquid fast without anything to lower insulin might be an issue.

MarkNNelson

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
232%
Jul 12, 2013
Colorado
Been 13 days in ketosis due to Dr Dom!
Just curious, do you have a significant other, and have they commented on your breath? The couple of times I tried being in ketosis, I could see people literally pulling back during a conversation. Even gum didn't seem to help.

JWelch

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Aug 12, 2016
Arizona
Just curious, do you have a significant other, and have they commented on your breath? The couple of times I tried being in ketosis, I could see people literally pulling back during a conversation. Even gum didn't seem to help.
Bad breath really shouldn't be an issue in Ketosis as long and you're brushing and flossing daily and maintaining good oral hygiene. Brush your tongue too. Some of this may just be your body detoxifying and will subside after a few days.

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Dec 24, 2013
Bali

Haha, haven't had any comments/reactions (that I noticed!!) just yet. To be honest even if my breath does stink (I actually think this is an over emphasised possible effect of keto from my reading) I would still be happy given on the diet if it means more focus/energy/clarity.

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Dec 24, 2013
Bali
Part of me really wants to give keto a try but the other part of me loves beer and pizza.

Maybe I'll pick a month this year though and do a multi day fast followed by strict keto for a bit of a "body reset" though.

Haha I feel ya dude!

I've just got to the point where I really need to put on the gas and wanna do everything I can to help myself.

I started with a 3 day fast as you mention... man that first meal was good!

RisingStars

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Sep 9, 2014
Germany
I've tried fasting for a couple of weeks now and I definetly lost some weight (mostly fat). Basically eating my last meal at 8/9 in the evening and fast till lunch. I get about 16 hours of fasting every day doing this.
Did anyone else of you got cold hands and feet in the morning? Not right after waking up but after 1-2 hours into work my feet and hands get pretty cold even tho I am sitting in a heated room.
Otherwise I feel great, no headache, no cravings put the cold hands & feet are really annoying.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.