The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The "New" Fastlane Forum

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
This is the official announcement thread for the new forum as we finally transitioned away from vBulletin to Xenforo.

While it is still early in the game, I'm very happy with the new software. I'm even more happy that I will NEVER AGAIN need to deal with vBulletin. Let me repeat that: NEVER AGAIN. :happy: :joyful:

While the forum is always a "work in progress" I am pretty much completed on the migration.

Here is what's NEW and what's a little different:
#1) SOCIAL NETWORK LIKE
As you may have experienced, the forum acts a little bit more like a social network than a bulletin board stuck in 1997.

a) You are alerted if someone "quotes you" in a thread. This ensures you don't miss out on some conversation that someone is having with you.

b) You are alerted if someone "likes" your content.

c) Give your own status updates (Shows up on home page, kinda cool way to say something to the entire board without making a post)
#2) FOLLOW YOUR FAVORITE USERS
You can follow particular users and get their content streamed into your "News Feed" -- click on your USERNAME and click the News Feed. Never miss something from your favorite forum people.

#3) POST DRAFTS
You're post comments are now saved in a draft mode. You can draft a comment on a thread and return to finish it later. Or maybe, you want to marinate on something you write before posting. You can now do that, although I think those comments expire in a week or so.

#4) PRIVATE MESSAGE RESTRICTIONS / PRIVACY
For our most active users, you can set your PRIVACY to allow PMs (conversations) from ONLY PEOPLE you follow. This prevents your inbox from exploding with newbie comments and questions that can get annoying for our most prized contributors. For the first time in YEARS, I can receive a PM from someone on the moderation team, and not have to worry about 40 PMs a day saying "Is my idea Fastlane?" :inpain:

#5) TAG USERS IN POSTS
If you're talking about a forum member in any given thread, you can "TAG" them (like on FB, Twitter, etc.) by simply adding the "AT SIGN" -- "@" ... see here, I just tagged @AllenCrawley -- this tag will show up in his ALERTS telling him that someone is talking about him.

#6) SET ALERTS
Obviously, not everyone wants all these alerts. Specify that in your profile to receive only what you want.

#7) FORUM FORMATS
Right now there are (3) different templates you can choose from for forum viewing.

Fastlane-Full
This is the default style, which is optimized for desktop and larger screen viewing. This has the much larger avatars. This can be effectively viewed on tablets as well.

Fastlane-Compact
"Fastlane-Compact" is for smaller screens, such as tablets and laptops, or for those who liked the compact version of the older forum. The Compact template uses smaller avatars and looks like the old forum.

Mobile
The mobile style is a full-width version for users who are viewing the forum on a mobile device.​

To change your STYLE version, click on the STYLE CHOOSER which is at the BOTTOM LEFT of the forum. Click the style and a window will appear. As mentioned in another thread, I have elected not to reinstall Tapatalk or a mobile viewing solution. This decision, of course, is likely to change dependent on how the 3rd party software evolves to my liking.

#7) SPEED UPDATE
First, my apologies to anyone who lost speed ratings. I have not been able to transition the speed over effectively, or accurately. There are some significant differences in the software which prevented this function from converting over normally. As of now, the way the system works is you are allocated speed points (or trophies) for particular forum actions.

How do you gain speed points? It's mostly predicated on "LIKES / SPEED POST" contained in posts, although you can gain speed from other forum actions. (Specifying your GENDER, Read TMF , join the INSIDE, etc.)

Right now, the "Like / Speed Post" serve the same function. Also, in order to incorporate SPEED RATINGS, we lost the ability to have custom user titles. (Some who still have, enjoy it while you can as they are disappearing.)

I have not given up restoring to the way things were (Separating likes, speed, etc.) or changing things around. Like the forum, the speed system will be a continual "work in progress". Much of getting the things the way I want is a matter of the learning curve involved in using the new software, AND the available add-ons.

#8) BLOGS
Xenforo does not have a blog function so I was NOT able to import any blogs, or it's comments. However, there is a plugin available that I might be able to use to restore these into a separate forum. I'm still looking into that option.

#9) BIG FAT AVATARS
Update your avatars and SAY NO to blurry avatars!
As mentioned above in "styles" the default style has really big avatars. I did this to give everyone the opportunity to upload something that reflected their personality. With the old system, most avatars were just plain too small to render into anything useful. With larger avatars, you can actually upload something (written) and have people understand it. If you don't like the big avatars, switch to the COMPACT style -- they are normal sized like the old forum.

#10) FASTER, MY GOD, IS IT FASTER
Some might not notice this, but I do. The forum is faster and more responsive. On my Google performance ranking, the forum went from a dismal 1/5 (the worst rating) to a 5/5 (the best).

#11) WATCH THREADS
Another NEW function I forgot here is you can WATCH any thread and be notified when there are new replies. While the old forum had a subscribe system, this one is far more effective. Any thread content that you deem "CANT MISS" -- simply "WATCH" thread by clicking on the "Watch Thread" in the upper right corner of the thread.

There are some other great functions I'm missing, but this is some of it in a nutshell. I know most people don't like change, however, I thought this was necessary as I was tired of dealing with vBulletin as a software product, and as a company.

As I get more accustomed to the software, improvements will continue...

Thank you for your patience in the transition. :wacky:

Cheers,
MJ

EDIT: YOUR THREADS are now sublinked in the "FORUM" subtab.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

SanMateo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Dec 9, 2013
Colorado
Thanks for the update. You answered a lot of questions for me that I've recently been searching the forum for. Much appreciated.

CryptO

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Apr 20, 2012
The Blockchain
Thanks for providing us with a great Forum MJ! :)

Respect for all the work you've put in and love the new 'social network' format, very easy to use and understand.

BTW: my INSIDERS subscription got cancelled because my paypal got limited for selling cryptos, any chance you'll be accepting INSIDERS subscriptions using Bitcoin as the gateway?? Would be cool to do! :p

If not, are there any other ways I can get INSIDERS subscription without paypal?

Thanks MJ

Last edited:
  • Admin

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

FreeMan

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Nov 26, 2012
NSW, Australia
#7) FORUM FORMATS
Right now there are (3) different templates you can choose from for forum viewing.

Fastlane-Full
This is the default style, which is optimized for desktop and larger screen viewing. This has the much larger avatars. This can be effectively viewed on tablets as well.

Fastlane-Compact
"Fastlane-Compact" is for smaller screens, such as tablets and laptops, or for those who liked the compact version of the older forum. The Compact template uses smaller avatars and looks like the old forum.

Mobile
The mobile style is a full-width version for users who are viewing the forum on a mobile device.

Thanks for all your great work MJ! After the initial shock, I'm really enjoying the new design.

Just wondering if the new software lets you detect the device you're using? Previously, it would detect I'm using a mobile device and auto apply the mobile style. But now it seems to be fixed at the setting you pick no matter what device you're using.

ralphT

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Mar 25, 2012
South FL
Is there any way the font of the posts can be changed to a non-serif font? It's a known fact that its more difficult to read digital text that uses serif fonts like the "Droid Serif" the post content is using.

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
There was a different "forum format" yesterday that was much more compact. Looks like you disabled it? It would be nice to get that one back :)

McCoyH

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jul 28, 2013
Iowa
Congrats on dumping vBulletin. Xen if by far the superior script for forums these days and the pricing is much better,as you now know!

Ravens_Shadow

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
642%
Oct 2, 2012
Austin, TX
Thanks for the official update Mj!

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Is it possible to remove likes from our news feed?

I'd love to use the news feed without seeing all the likes the people I follow dole out.

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
First, my apologies to anyone who lost speed ratings. I have not been able to transition the speed over effectively, or accurately.

I had 35 but now I'm at 15. That's okay though, I'll earn it back.

TopChef

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
May 22, 2013
Near San Diego
MJ. I was wondering if you were aware of this add-on for XenForo?

http://xenforo.com/community/resources/1-2x-advanced-reputation-system.2400/
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/1-2x-advanced-reputation-system-paid.60835/

I'm sure VBulletin was a nightmare, but I actually really liked the reputation system they used. It seems the only thing that is missing is the ability to weigh reputation points based on how much reputation you currently have and the ability to port the VBulletin data to XenForo.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
The mobile version of the site is GREAT

Mike Kavanagh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 17, 2013
First, my apologies to anyone who lost speed ratings.
No worries. Whilst speed does help determine what kind of value someone has put in here, this can be viewed as a "market fluctuation" or "new brand launch"

Of course you still have the powerhouses that represent "Walmart and all those other Megabrands". Their value to this forum, and to myself personally, can survive any "speed depression".

I like this design set-up, but I still need to get accustomed to it.

Tehcasa

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Apr 29, 2013
Thanks for the upgrade MJ the sites more engaging now :)

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
The ads and advertisers here help keep this place awesome and running. Please support the forums advertisers.

Lakeview

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 5, 2013
Texas
@MJ DeMarco I've been researching the differences between vbulletin and Xen. I appreciate your feedback on your experiences. I'm starting a new forum and think I'll go with Xen. Let me know if you have an affiliate link.

nevergiveup

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Jul 17, 2013
NC
It took some getting used to, like anything, but I think the new forum is great! Thanks for everything you do MJ!

D

DeletedUser2

Like the updates and new look

Overall great. Will take a couple weeks to get used to

I did like the different speed vs like system though. A def plus IMHO

@MJ DeMarco great job. Thanks for making it better and making it easy to post good stuff here!

Z

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
is there a setting to get rid of ads?

INSIDERS have the post/thread ad removed. (The box ad that appears inside the post). The ad(s) at the top should also disappear in time. Also, the mobile version has limited ads.

Please Install tapatalk again.the mobile Theme is Overloaded and i have Not Used the forum since relaunch :( pleeeeeeeeease install it again http://xenforo.com/community/resour...enforo-ios-android-blackberry-mobile-app.263/

I'm aware of that link. As I said, I will not reinstall it. Sorry, but I want to control my data and TapaTalk has issues with support, and deleting threads from users. If you refuse to use the forum because it doesn't have a 3rd party viewer, then the forum probably isn't that valuable to you. I respect and understand that.

Let me know if you have an affiliate link.

I do not.

The ads and advertisers here help keep this place awesome and running

Thank you.

I am. I haven't bought it because I have concerns over the developer and the conflicts it has with other add-ons.

All suggestions here of course, are considered.

jec1521

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Oct 28, 2013
New Jersey
I will miss tapatalk. Have you looked in to Forum Runner. A lot of forums are switching to that 3rd party mobile viewer lately.

I love the new site. Great work.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
I am. I haven't bought it because I have concerns over the developer and the conflicts it has with other add-ons.

Good call staying clear of that developer. Geez.

nileez

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Oct 15, 2013
On the old version of the forum there used to be a page containing recommended books about businesses and marketing etc. Its url was: https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/bookstore.php

But that link no longer works - it now displays a message which says that the forum has been moved. Does any of you guys know where the bookstore is located now?

Last edited by a moderator:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.