The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Millionaire Fastlane ... Book Progress

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
But if you want to do this book thing, I say, go at it like you've done everything else.

I think that is largely the problem. I'm not going at it like I've done everything else. I have everything I want. I don't need anything. I'm content. So instead of writing (or anything related to the book) Ill choose to paint a wall, read a book, landscape the yard ...

This *update* was NOT to say I'm quitting -- I just started over and will reuse much of what I already wrote.

My vote is that you walk away for a few weeks, then look at it again

I've actually taken a month off (June).

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Knowledge Kick

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jan 16, 2009
New Jersey
MJ, if you're looking for any particular inspiration or motivation to get you going just remember that a lot of the people who join this forum mention your success story in their introduction and you have a loyal following of friends here who are dying to read your book and hear what you have to say whether the book sells 10 copies or 10 million copies. Do whatever you feel in your heart of hearts is best for the book itself and best for the people who you are writing it for. Whether it comes out as it is now, or in 2 years, just do it RIGHT for the people who admire you and want to reach that state of complacency with life that you're feeling right now. Thanks again, we can't wait to read it!

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Woo hoo!!!

I'm happy to announce that I finished the rough draft today and I am happy to move forward with it!! What best describes the book? It did not evolve as "how-to" book, but more of a mathematical and psychological framework to wealth. I wanted to focus on the entire wealth recipe versus just a narrowed focus.

This is something I can be proud of, even right now in its "rough" state.

:banana:

While I still am far from having something tangible in my hands, this is very exciting for me because now I can switch gears from pure writing, to editing, organizing, illustrations, titling, arranging, and more "busy work" type activities.

Thanks for sticking with me!
MJ

:smx1: :urock2:

PaulRobert

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 15, 2009
New Jersey
Re: The Fastlane to Millions ... Book Progress

Congrats MJ! Reward yourself with something special! :cheers:

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Rep speed for you, sir!

I know how much this day means to you. We'll toast you tonight, over dinner. :cheers:

-Russ H.

Chitown

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Apr 14, 2009
Culver City
MJ,

As a writer, I know how special first drafts are. I can't wait to read the book. Congratulations.:eusa_clap:

qwerety

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
May 26, 2008
Detroit, MI
Woo hoo!!!

I'm happy to announce that I finished the rough draft today and I am happy to move forward with it!! What best describes the book? It did not evolve as "how-to" book, but more of a mathematical and psychological framework to wealth. I wanted to focus on the entire wealth recipe versus just a narrowed focus.

This is something I can be proud of, even right now in its "rough" state.

:banana:

While I still am far from having something tangible in my hands, this is very exciting for me because now I can switch gears from pure writing, to editing, organizing, illustrations, titling, arranging, and more "busy work" type activities.

Thanks for sticking with me!
MJ

:smx1: :urock2:
Its awesome that you are getting closer to being done with the book, but its even more awesome that you have taken all the time you needed and are actually proud of where you are at with it, instead of rushing it in any way. I don't know much about book writing and such, but I would guess that getting to where you are now is the hardest part, if not the hardest, but maybe the most time consuming. Was gonna say good luck, but luck isn't needed, when you already have the skill and drive. I can say keep up the good work though lol

gerbs

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 29, 2009
Los Angeles
As one that has been solely an 'observer' of the forums until today, I am also very excited to hear that you are done with the rough draft. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on it to explore deeper into your knowledge and philosophies.

Keep up the great work and keep us posted on what's new! :smx6:

Rem

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 14, 2009
Maine
Hey cool beans. I will definitely read it when it's done. Good work!!! Now go have a Corona.. heavy on the lime. :smx6:

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
Go MJ go!:smxG::hurray::thumbsup::cheers::urock2:

ITA

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
Dec 16, 2008
Hong Kong
Good stuff! Now be careful...I've been known to finish rough drafts...and then take another year to look at it again...it happens more than you would think...don't let it happen to you ;-)

WildFlower

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Aug 21, 2009
Los Angeles Area
Congrats!!! Every step counts.. especially the big ones!!! Good job! I found much inspiration from you all!!!

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Since everyone is updating their progress threads, I thought I should update this thread.

Here's what I've been up to:

1) The manuscript is finished and I am ready to submit it for a final edit. Currently trying to find an editor ...

2) Working on getting the graphics finished.

3) Cover design

4) Permissions

Also, I will NOT be using a publishing POD service. I will be self publishing raw ... that means I will be starting a publishing company instead of leveraging a POD company like iUniverse, Lulu, or Xilbris.

Unfortunately, this adds a multitude of steps/actions that will cause the book to be delay longer than had I gone POD. If I did a POD, I could safely say the book would be available in just a few months ... however, having never started a publishing company and going in GREEN, I have no clue how long the process will take.

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
Thanks for the update. I wonder if Kimber is still around to give you some starting tips.

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
Since everyone is updating their progress threads, I thought I should update this thread.

Here's what I've been up to:

1) The manuscript is finished and I am ready to submit it for a final edit. Currently trying to find an editor ...

2) Working on getting the graphics finished.

3) Cover design

4) Permissions

Also, I will NOT be using a publishing POD service. I will be self publishing raw ... that means I will be starting a publishing company instead of leveraging a POD company like iUniverse, Lulu, or Xilbris.

Unfortunately, this adds a multitude of steps/actions that will cause the book to be delay longer than had I gone POD. If I did a POD, I could safely say the book would be available in just a few months ... however, having never started a publishing company and going in GREEN, I have no clue how long the process will take.

Why no POD? Just curios? :)

BTW, if you need any help, shoot me up a message. I'm not a publisher but if the book is good (which it should be) then I'm all-in for helping you market it on the net and help it spread ;)

Cheers, looking forward to your book!

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Why no POD? Just curios? :)

Depends on the POD publisher, but in general, the margins are 2 or 3X more, the quality, and control.

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
Depends on the POD publisher, but in general, the margins are 2 or 3X more, the quality, and control.

Even Lulu.com ??? I thought they were different. Yet, I don't know much. I might to self-publish a book in the future so this is a topic I will have to look into later on.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I had no clue I freaking wrote MOBY DICK ... the word count on my book is 177,000 words and from the initial feedback, it will end up at almost 400 pages. Yikes! So much for writing a 14.95 book. Looks like I have some serious trimming to do ... 400 is too big.

I also bought my block of ISBN's today! Woo hoo!

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
I had no clue I freaking wrote MOBY DICK ... the word count on my book is 177,000 words and from the initial feedback, it will end up at almost 400 pages. Yikes! So much for writing a 14.95 book. Looks like I have some serious trimming to do ... 400 is to big.

I'll take the 177k version! lol :)

Not good for sales, but good for an expanded version of your thoughts and tidbits!

Sparlin

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 23, 2009
Wichita, Kansas
I had no clue I freaking wrote MOBY DICK ... the word count on my book is 177,000 words and from the initial feedback, it will end up at almost 400 pages. Yikes! So much for writing a 14.95 book. Looks like I have some serious trimming to do ... 400 is too big.

I also bought my block of ISBN's today! Woo hoo!

Could it be divided into a 2 book set? They could be released together or separately. I'm sure there would have to be some major tweeking, but you might be able to capitalize on the opportunity since you have the content already. Just a thought.

faq88

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Oct 14, 2009
400 is pretty intimidating for somebody looking for there first book. I'm sure everybody on the forum would still buy it, but not the newbie. Maybe take what you have and try to get the core story put out. Then take the excess and look for ways to make more books in the future. If this book does well, people will be looking for more.

Mike

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
MJ, one way to cut it down would be to refer to particular examples and stories on here, listing the URL, rather than having the whole story in the book. Or you could refer to the stories as bonus stories on the internet, more content same money.:cheers:

sulli

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Jul 26, 2007
Can I get my version on kindle?

I just re-read your success story for the 5th time in my life (1st time on RD forums, ~6-7 years ago). It is so motivational. Also, I like the re-write. I just went full-time with my business in Sept. I am enjoying the new playing field, where I am in control of my time. Life altering choices rule!

Thanks for the inspiration and I look forward to reading your book.

Ryan

kwerner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Oct 4, 2007
I'll take the 177k version! lol :)

Not good for sales, but good for an expanded version of your thoughts and tidbits!

ditto. you could charge extra for an "expanded edition". :smxB:

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
400 is pretty intimidating

I agree. I'm back to the drawing board to cut-cut-cut ... even the editors I spoke with said it needs to be trimmed. Another delay but I'd rather get it right and delayed than wrong and early.

kwerner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Oct 4, 2007
Or you could make it a trilogy!? Okay, maybe not. I'd buy it though.

Nathan

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Sep 18, 2008
Denver, CO
Maybe use the cut bits into their own member's area type deal on a web site? Maybe another source of revenue or just a way to increase fan base. Something similar I can think of would be Tim Ferris' site. It'd be similar to this site, and obviously you could funnel the discussion portion here. Who knows, just tossin out thoughts

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.