The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Millionaire Fastlane ... Book Progress

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Ill update this thread as I make progress completing my book.

2/10/2009
I finished another chapter today.:hurray:

5/9/09 - Edited

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

GLC65

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Jun 7, 2008
Illinois
Ill update this thread as I make progress completing my book.

My anticipated date of completion is sometime in May/June. Official release pending on however long production takes thereafter.

Also, I haven't been hanging out here at the Fastlane forum as much as I am cannabilizing time here and putting it into the book.

2/10/2009
I finished another chapter today.:hurray:

Can you share with us about how you will structure the book? Any samples? Regardless, it would be pretty cool to have the book so you can count me in for one if not multiples where I can give them for gifts to colleauges, family, and friends.

G_Alexander

Does it Cash Flow?
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
941%
Jun 7, 2008
MJ, I have been waiting for this since I joined the forums last summer! I know others have been waiting longer, and everyone is anxious for it.

Glad to hear progress is coming along smoothly.

Can't wait to read your insights to the world. Your mind is calibrated very well good sir :cheers:!

-Alex

Luke12321

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jul 27, 2007
North Carolina
Great job MJ! Still plan to allow people at the B&P to read and give feedback?

• Admin

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Can you share with us about how you will structure the book? Any samples? Regardless, it would be pretty cool to have the book so you can count me in for one if not multiples where I can give them for gifts to colleauges, family, and friends.

Funny you ask, it is the structure of the book that is giving me difficulty. I have plenty of things to write with the centerpiece of the book unique to the space (as far as I know) -- the challenge is getting the concepts in an order that is easily understood by the reader -- I'm trying to paint a big picture, a mental mapping so to speak by using an existing schema in the reader's mind ... I chose to use a cross country road trip as the base metaphor but am having difficulty getting it to work. I'm enjoying the challenge however ... no one said it be a walk in the park.

Great job MJ! Still plan to allow people at the B&P to read and give feedback?

I won't have anything for B&P, if/when I do this, it will probably be privately via email/PM.

Luke12321

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jul 27, 2007
North Carolina
Funny you ask, it is the structure of the book that is giving me difficulty. I have plenty of things to write with the centerpiece of the book unique to the space (as far as I know) -- the challenge is getting the concepts in an order that is easily understood by the reader -- I'm trying to paint a big picture, a mental mapping so to speak by using an existing schema in the reader's mind ... I chose to use a cross country road trip as the base metaphor but am having difficulty getting it to work. I'm enjoying the challenge however ... no one said it be a walk in the park.

I won't have anything for B&P, if/when I do this, it will probably be privately via email/PM.

I like the concept of a the trip across the country. :fastlane:

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
Totally off topic here, but maybe some ideas for the book(?) ...Driving home from the B&P this year, we had two freeway experiences that made me laugh, as I couldn't help but think of them in terms of the fast lane.

At one point in our trip we passed a hitchhiker. He was holding a sign that said Las Cruces (pretty much our direction) but since he was a hitchhiker we kept driving. It got me thinking about the people you encounter on your journey to the fast lane, and how there really are a lot of "hitchhikers" out there. Hitchhikers meaning that they want to go where you are going, but really have nothing to offer and need you to do all the work; and if you do decide to take them with on your trip you are nervous and question your decision the whole time! ...Not to mention you don't know what will happen down the road as there is a high level of uncertainty as to whether or not you made a bad decision--and if it was a bad decision to pick up a hitchhiker, odds are it will lead to a very bad end to the driver. Moral of the story: choose your passengers well. :)

The second freeway adventure I had was when we came up on some jackass in the left lane (the fast lane) who was going about 50, with his right blinker on, who sandwiched us between another car in the right lane so we couldn't pass at all. We were 100% stuck behind this idiot driver who was completely oblivious to any and all of their actions. ...Boy, aint that true in trying to get into the fast lane! In real life there are those people who are pretending to be in the fast lane, they are in the fast (left)lane, until you notice that there is something wrong. They are going really slow, have their blinker on and totally obvlious to everything going on around them. So now they are in your way, won't get out of your way, keep promising to get out of your way and bring out nothing but frustration and a potential accident. In trying to get into the fastlane, these kinds of people often either intentionally or unintentionally sabotage efforts of others, and can be anyone from friends and family to business advisors. Moral of the story: Road blocks can be people too, and potentially the most well-intentioned but clueless people. Always keep your eyes open for road blocks, and develop a plan B to get around them!

That was a little tangent there, sorry. ...Hope the book writing is going well, and that you get a rough draft done before your pool is completed, 'cause my guess is your pool is where you'll be wanting to spend your summer days, not behind a computer desk! :)

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Dana,

I do have something like that in the book! Great minds think alike!

As for the progress, it is slow moving. I've even instituted internet bans during the day to so I can focus more. However, at the rate I'm going, the book will be 1,000 pages. I should be finished with another chapter today or tomorrow.

Cat Man Du

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 30, 2007
dana,

i do have something like that in the book! Great minds think alike!

As for the progress, it is slow moving. I've even instituted internet bans during the day to so i can focus more. However, at the rate i'm going, the book will be 1,000 pages. I should be finished with another chapter today or tomorrow.

ok let's split it in two!

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
ok let's split it in two!

Maybe I'm overreacting ... the manuscript is already an inch thick on 8 1/2 x 11 ... I can't imagine how that will translate to book format.

PEERless

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jan 23, 2008
the manuscript is already an inch thick on 8 1/2 x 11 ... I can't imagine how that will translate to book format.
A more accurate indicator would be a word-count, but...

One (tight) inch of 20lb paper is 250 pages. MS word prints 500-600 words per page at 12pt. Book-printing standards dictate 250 words per page. So, you're looking at 600 pages or a 300-page book (front and back faces). Great job.

Roman

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Aug 21, 2008
Pacific NW
with all the Buzz this book is making, I actually can't wait, the more depth the better for me.

once again Mj, thanks for all the work you do for us, You will definitely impact millions,
How much pre-orders do you already have?

:thankyousign:

LaughedAt

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Sep 20, 2007
Israel
Hey MJ, do you think your book will be available in retailers outside the US, like:
Free delivery worldwide on all books from The Book Depository
BookDepository has free shipping worldwide, this would make it easier for us non-US folk to buy the book, instead of paying 20$ for the book at Amazon and 20$ for shipping, just curious...

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Hey MJ, do you think your book will be available in retailers outside the US, like:
Free delivery worldwide on all books from The Book Depository
BookDepository has free shipping worldwide, this would make it easier for us non-us folk to buy the book, instead of paying 20$ for the book at Amazon and 20$ for shipping, just curious...

Not sure quite yet, production and distribution is not on my mind just yet ..... my goal is to be available everywhere though ...

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
In now on Chapter 10 ... looks like Ill end up at about 17 chapters.

10/17th done ... 58% done.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Carry forth onward to Chapter 12!

unicon

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Feb 23, 2008
Totally off topic here, but maybe some ideas for the book(?) ...Driving home from the B&P this year, we had two freeway experiences that made me laugh, as I couldn't help but think of them in terms of the fast lane.

At one point in our trip we passed a hitchhiker. He was holding a sign that said Las Cruces (pretty much our direction) but since he was a hitchhiker we kept driving. It got me thinking about the people you encounter on your journey to the fast lane, and how there really are a lot of "hitchhikers" out there. Hitchhikers meaning that they want to go where you are going, but really have nothing to offer and need you to do all the work; and if you do decide to take them with on your trip you are nervous and question your decision the whole time! ...Not to mention you don't know what will happen down the road as there is a high level of uncertainty as to whether or not you made a bad decision--and if it was a bad decision to pick up a hitchhiker, odds are it will lead to a very bad end to the driver. Moral of the story: choose your passengers well. :)

The second freeway adventure I had was when we came up on some jackass in the left lane (the fast lane) who was going about 50, with his right blinker on, who sandwiched us between another car in the right lane so we couldn't pass at all. We were 100% stuck behind this idiot driver who was completely oblivious to any and all of their actions. ...Boy, aint that true in trying to get into the fast lane! In real life there are those people who are pretending to be in the fast lane, they are in the fast (left)lane, until you notice that there is something wrong. They are going really slow, have their blinker on and totally obvlious to everything going on around them. So now they are in your way, won't get out of your way, keep promising to get out of your way and bring out nothing but frustration and a potential accident. In trying to get into the fastlane, these kinds of people often either intentionally or unintentionally sabotage efforts of others, and can be anyone from friends and family to business advisors. Moral of the story: Road blocks can be people too, and potentially the most well-intentioned but clueless people. Always keep your eyes open for road blocks, and develop a plan B to get around them!

That was a little tangent there, sorry. ...Hope the book writing is going well, and that you get a rough draft done before your pool is completed, 'cause my guess is your pool is where you'll be wanting to spend your summer days, not behind a computer desk! :)

Very Good!!

Am presently corresponding with a CEO on a regular basis and recently he recommended Bill O'Rielly's book, "Who's looking out for you" - This is the same thought in a different context.

I would recommend the book highly in that the title is almost Stealth like in that you would not expect much earth shaking info looking at it on the book shelf. It is a book about discernment and the title is a realistic mantra for everyone.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Folks, just wanted to update you here since I've allowed this thread to die in the shadows ...

I was 2 chapters from finishing the book and decided that I didn't like how the book came together. So, I decided to start over and reframe the whole thing in an entirely different format. While it would have been nice to have something finished, I just can't put something out that I'm not happy with. If I am not proud of it, I won't be able to sell it.

So I did what would do as if I was coding a new web app -- I wiped the slate clean and started over.

Sorry about not having this thing done ... unfortunately, I am quite happy in retirement and have been distracted into other immediate pleasures.

Words of wisdom I have discovered from this long process:

1) Complacency and contentment are not good motivators. (Perhaps a new thread topic?)

2) Execution still rules ... ideas firing in your head don't put pen to paper. I've thought positively about this book and funny thing, it still hasn't materialized. Damn the Law of Attraction!

3) Perfection in writing is impossible. I struggle to shake that notion as I continually search for the best paragraph, the best sentence, the best word -- it slows me down to a crawl.

4) Coding is absolute while writing is ambiguous and abstract. If code doesn't work, you are shown an error and recode. Writing has no feedback mechanism and is subjectively abstract -- a paragraph and it's sentences have virtually limitless structures and delivery. Being a person who thrives on "trial-and-error", I struggle to adapt to the changes of this "work" environment.

These are my thoughts as I struggle through my own period of growth and reflection.

MJ

Also, give thanks to Dana (Yveskleinsky) as she has spent considerable time helping me with the "trial-and-error" feedback mechanism I mentioned above.

:thankyousign:

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
PhxMj said:
3) Perfection in writing is impossible. I struggle to shake that notion as I continually search for the best paragraph, the best sentence, the best word -- it slows me down to a crawl.
As someone who has made a fair chunk of change from writing, I found that if I:

-wrote an article (2000-3000 words) in 2 hours, or

-wrote that same article (2000-3000 words) over a period of days (20+ hours total),

NO ONE NOTICED.

Not my editors.

Not my readers.

And . . .

Not ME (if I walked away from it for a few months and then re-read it).

I COULD NOT TELL which pcs were written past deadline (in a matter of an hour or two), and which ones I slaved over for weeks.

So I just started writing everything past deadline (by hours, not weeks).

FORCED me to do quick and dirty stuff.

It also had the (unexpected) benefit of giving me the ability to do more things (like relax), and write more.

In fact, fellow writers in my industry started asking me who my ghosts were-- they couldn't figure out how I was doing it!

So, my advice, offered with all humility:

1. Unless you are working on Haiku or other poetry, oftentimes inspired "stream of consciousness" writing is very palatable (at least it was for me).

2. Your views and experience are an incredible resource, MJ. If you haven't deleted the files, I would suggest posting these things as fastlane articles, or something. Hell, offer an e-book or something.

My greatest challenge as a writer was perfection vs production.

The more I produced, the less important it was for me to be "perfect"-- the sheer volume of my output was more valuable than a few well chosen words-- to both my editors, and my readers.

And any occasional clinkers were quickly buried by better stuff.

So don't work at being perfect when it comes to writing, MJ. You express yourself very well.

I for one would greatly appreciate (and benefit from) your views on things-- arranged in a cogent framework, or not.

(and if it's sh*t, I'd tell ya-- as would others).

Which would be PERFECT motivation for you to do better w/the NEXT ONE. :thumbsup:

-Russ H.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
:iagree: (Maybe he'll listen to you. :) ) Oh, and thanks MJ--I've been having a blast. Every time I get to read something new I feel like it's Christmas!

phlgirl

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 29, 2007
Philadelphia
I know nothing about writing a book but I am with the committee on this one, MJ. I say rock it out. Parts of it have to be worthwhile and even if it isn't a 10, it has to be a wonderful learning experience just to get it out there.

I would think about hiring a writing consultant - perhaps even a few. Get input from a couple objective resources and let them help you round things out.

I started reading 'Four Hour Workweek' last night, while stuck at the Detroit airport (and am now obsessed).

Page 40

"To do or not to do? To try or not to try? Most people will vote no, whether they consider themselves brave or not. Uncertainty and the prospect of failure can be very scary noises in the shadows. Most people will choose unhappiness over uncertainty".

Check out page 45/46/47, if you have it around. It talks about defining your worst case scenario.

From one control freak/perfectionist to another, I can understand where you are coming from. I am struggling with a fear myself and I think this book might just put me over the edge. Life is too short. F it. :)

You dont owe your audience anything, MJ. Let this be about your journey and the rest will come. It always does, right?

(I have edited this about 5 times now......hahaha... I could never write a book!)

TaxGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Apr 28, 2008
Goodyear, AZ
First off, take a lesson from someone who NEVER read recreationally(aside from car magazines and web forums :p) until the material of this wonderful forum convinced me that reading was "cool" :coolgleamA:

With that in mind I have read a few books in the last 8 months, most of which were through rec's from this forum with the first being The Four Hour Work Week, which along with The Top 10 Distinctions Between Millionaires and the Middle Class are hands down my favorite books.

The lesson here- while conveying the same message they are polar opposites.

How so?

Well let's see-

The Top 10 Distinctions:

Hands down is the easiest read, not only is it 110 pages, but it is easily laid out with each of the 10 chapters being a distinction, if nothing else posting these on a bulletin board and having them to look at everyday is enough to get the message of the book.

4HWW:

Not only written by a Princeton grad, but at times feels like you need to be one yourself to understand the big words and filler he puts in there. While it was at times difficult to read, the book has captivated me and helped change my way of thinking. In contrast to "Top 10", the real meat of this book comes from constantly re-referencing it and using the websites and tools listed as well as doing the "Questions and Actions" activities, much like a combination of a "how-to" book and a Tony Robbins book.

With that in mind, what is most relevant to your situation now, one thing from each book, so here goes-

Top 10- KCS starts by saying that he spend one week in seclusion letting ideas flow and the result was this book, didn't over-analyze and just did it and as I mentioned, it was a major success, it took a stubborn non-reader like myself and became my FAVORITE book, I have since re-read it 4x

4HWW- when he talks about speed reading he mentions there is a keystone chapter and that most books just have filler(including 4HWW) and true speed reading involves how to just get to the message. Therefore realize that not every chapter of TFTM will be a "home-run", but that the message will be and you should be golden!

Yea it's easy to say being that we are all loyal followers on your forum with open-minds, but do remember that this was something you earned and didn't just happen, lol, my first thought of TFTM when Redshft introduced me was "what's the catch?" or "what MLM product is this trying to sell?" and of course came to find that there is none, just the greatest web forum in the history of mankind :coolgleamA:

I COULD NOT TELL which pcs were written past deadline (in a matter of an hour or two), and which ones I slaved over for weeks.

If nothing else, my greatest accomplishment so far is graduating college. A 5yr process that involved this same question. Funny thing was that whether I stressed myself out and put in a lot of work or just learned to work the system and got stuff done at the last minute, the result was the same. Granted I would've been a A/B student instead of a B/C student, two years out of college, my accomplishment of a BLAS from U of I is the same as my best friend who graduated with high-honors in 3yrs with a double major... it's just a piece of paper to get my foot in the door, the rest is what I do with it.

My greatest challenge as a writer was perfection vs production.

This is just another way of saying "ideas are free, action is priceless", something I myself am struggling with. Unlike me, though, you have accomplished a LOT and thus your history of production should be enough to let the ideas flow smoothly and create a great product with TFTM!

Sparlin

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 23, 2009
Wichita, Kansas
My vote is that you walk away for a few weeks, then look at it again. You'll gain a new perspective and possibly have a renewed sense of purpose about the book. I understand your commitment to quality, but wouldn't throwing away all that work be contrary to the Fastlane philosophy? You will have labored for over a year with no yield. You have to remember, what you might consider to be junk, the rest of us would have great interest in. After all, you've done something most of us haven't.

I think some of these have been suggested already, but it seems you already have material for ebooks, a Fastlane curriculum, blog articles, or for magazine submissions. Regardless, good luck with what you decide. I would bet you are closer to finishing than we realize (despite what was said :) )

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
MJ-

Robert Kiyoaski supposedly wrote some books that were never published.

His first published book was called "If you want to be Rich & Happy don't go to School?"

Heard of that one? Sold next to nothing.

His second published book was "Rich Dad, Poor Dad".

So far, it's sold over 27,000,000 copies worldwide and has been translated into 51 languages and is selling in more than 100 countries. On the NY Times, Wall St Journal, and many other best selling lists for weeks and weeks.

You don't have to write just one book.

Did you design/build just one website and never changed it-- the one you sold for millions?

Or did you learn from each and every time you did something, so the next was better?

(sorry for being so hard on you here, you deserve to enjoy retirement.)

But if you want to do this book thing, I say, go at it like you've done everything else.

Learn from the journey. :)

-Russ H.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.