The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Etsy MEGA Thread... Best Practices, Use, Etc.

D

Deleted74396

If you’ve been suspended, it’s doubtful. They definitely track names and addresses... probably IPs, too.

I had an Etsy shop with a friend. She bought me out, but we forgot to remove my name and address in one of the account settings. A year later, when her shop was suspended, my new Etsy shop was too. Fortunately, it was just because her credit card expired, so the payment didn’t go through. So, it was quickly resolved, and I was able to show that I was no longer associated with that Etsy shop. But they’re definitely watching.
It's a shame and they are losing out on business over old grudges! Like ok my feedback when I was 16 was 96% which wasn't good enough, but that was 8 years ago, I've moved address, I'm using a different bank card, let me give you business!! :rofl: I hate how even the best rated businesses have 80-90% satisfaction, but on Etsy/eBay/etc, 95-96% is dissatisfactory. Just leave it to the individual buyer, I say.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AnneC

Conscious
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
392%
Jan 3, 2012
USA
Like ok my feedback when I was 16 was 96% which wasn't good enough, but that was 8 years ago, I've moved address, I'm using a different bank card, let me give you business!!

Yeah, they’ve been super strict on ODR and other made-up metrics. If you don’t have a lot of orders, one bad apple can kill your percentages.

If it’s been that long, you’ve moved, and don’t have any identifying info that links to your old account (besides your name), then maybe try again...? Use a totally different email, mailing address, EIN or no SSN, etc.? Or find a trusted relative. Or they might let you appeal.

You’re playing in their sandbox and completely at their mercy... or the mercy of whichever Customer Service peon you roulette. I think Amazon is even worse.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
For those of you with Etsy shops, how do you figure what keywords to use to get maximum reach?

I just signed up for a $9.99 pro subscription on eRank to figure out the best keywords to use. This is a snapshot of the data the app provided (I cropped out my keywords on the left for obvious reasons):

6c261a23eafa0b7b60f2e9fc99ab8ed9.png

I'm confused. Should I pick the keywords based on Average Searches, Etsy Competition or Average Clicks?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Speaking of ETSY, I've been waiting for the stock to pull back so I can be a buyer... I'm guessing their earnings report will be pretty stellar as it is one of the companies to benefit big from CV19, even after the crisis abides. Looks like I'm late to the party on it.

Marigold

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Nov 15, 2018
Glasgow & Malaga
For those of you with Etsy shops, how do you figure what keywords to use to get maximum reach?

I just signed up for a $9.99 pro subscription on eRank to figure out the best keywords to use. This is a snapshot of the data the app provided (I cropped out my keywords on the left for obvious reasons):

6c261a23eafa0b7b60f2e9fc99ab8ed9.png

I'm confused. Should I pick the keywords based on Average Searches, Etsy Competition or Average Clicks?
did you figure this out?

Xeon

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
did you figure this out?

I sort it by Etsy Competition, then based on that column, I look at the Search Volume to see which row has either close to, or more than the Competition with decent click through rates. That indicates that the competition is low + many are searching. But usually such keywords are few and far between. After that, I look for more keywords by looking at Search Volume + Click through rates and ignoring competition.

Anyway, Marmalead and eRank don't get their data from Etsy, they got it from 3rd party sources so it's not completely accurate. Just use it as a guide.

Marigold

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Nov 15, 2018
Glasgow & Malaga
I sort it by Etsy Competition, then based on that column, I look at the Search Volume to see which row has either close to, or more than the Competition with decent click through rates. That indicates that the competition is low + many are searching. But usually such keywords are few and far between. After that, I look for more keywords by looking at Search Volume + Click through rates and ignoring competition.

Anyway, Marmalead and eRank don't get their data from Etsy, they got it from 3rd party sources so it's not completely accurate. Just use it as a guide.
Thank you! I'm just grappling with it now.

becks22

90% coffee, 10% everything else
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Jul 6, 2016
Upstate NY
Curious on how everyone responds to negative reviews? Etsy lets you comment on a bad review but most people obviously try to work it out with the buyer directly. Any thoughts?

AnneC

Conscious
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
392%
Jan 3, 2012
USA
Curious on how everyone responds to negative reviews? Etsy lets you comment on a bad review but most people obviously try to work it out with the buyer directly. Any thoughts?
If it's outside of your control or otherwise violates ToS (delivery delays, profanity, mentions another website), you can use the"Report this review" link. Lately, anything that mentions slow delivery due to post office delays have been automatically removed, by using the link.

Otherwise, I usually send the customer a message and try to work things out. If they don't respond, I don't really worry about it because the reviews roll over so quickly. Plus, NOT having all 5-star reviews makes the shop look more legit, I think.

Xeon

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Btw, does anyone have any positive experience running Etsy ads? It's been really shitty from my experience so far.

Marigold

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Nov 15, 2018
Glasgow & Malaga
Btw, does anyone have any positive experience running Etsy ads? It's been really shitty from my experience so far.
I haven't bothered. I have considered the Fiverr offers where they get you on the front page for your search term mind you.

Xeon

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
I haven't bothered. I have considered the Fiverr offers where they get you on the front page for your search term mind you.

LOL I actually paid for it lol. The guy did get me on the first page of the search results of Etsy for a popular term. Funny thing is, the impressions and clicks in my stats show nothing. I'm not sure how they F*ck around with the system though. Didn't work for sure. Cos if it did, everyone would be rich now.

Marigold

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Nov 15, 2018
Glasgow & Malaga
LOL I actually paid for it lol. The guy did get me on the first page of the search results of Etsy for a popular term. Funny thing is, the impressions and clicks in my stats show nothing. I'm not sure how they f*ck around with the system though. Didn't work for sure. Cos if it did, everyone would be rich now.
Thanks for the heads up! I won't bother wasting my money. I guess playing the long game is better rather than try and take short cuts.

I've been adding in as many items as I can based on another comment in this thread or another talking about how the more items you have the better you rank...

Xeon

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Thanks for the heads up! I won't bother wasting my money. I guess playing the long game is better rather than try and take short cuts.

I've been adding in as many items as I can based on another comment in this thread or another talking about how the more items you have the better you rank...

I used to think that having more listings have a direct correlation on sales, but I now feel it's not true.

Etsy title and tags are also overrated.

My own conclusion after watching numerous etsy videos and tracking 50 competitors in eRank.com, is that while Etsy has a giant audience, you can't get access to that audience (aka getting found in search) unless you've lots of sales. It's a paradox, so one strategy is to use social media and outside ads to drive traffic and get sales from that method. Once the store has consistent sales, Etsy's algorithm will then really start to take it seriously and push it on Etsy search and that's when it snowballs from there.

Also, Etsy ads really sucks and feels like some primitive advertising system from the 1990s but that's another story.

D

Deleted68316

I am helping a friend with Etsy. Running a $3 a day ad. He has been profitable thanks to them.

Two things about Etsy ads:
1- Run them with the same amount of ad spend per day for at least 30 days (they say it to you pretty clear when you set up the ad)
2- wait at least 30 days to judge them. They usually start getting profitable at the end of the 30 days.

I know about point 2 because I saw a video on youtube saying the same things and it is actually true because the same happened to me. Nothing for almost a month, and then boom.

I have also lowered the price of the listings by 20% at a certain point and that helped as well.

I have noticed that if you have good things, as usual, people buy.

For instance, we had a good canvas with a great image but due to copyright issues that listing has been taken away. And guess what? It was selling like crazy.

I see people with great canvas pictures and cannot figure out how and where they get the license for those images since I have not been able to find them anywhere (Shutterstock, Getty, etc...).

Marigold

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Nov 15, 2018
Glasgow & Malaga
Great info, thanks so much for sharing.

Yes, I've actually just released a new product on my other website and I'm selling it through etsy to boost my shop sales. It's got me 20 sales so that's given me a good boost. I might run that strategy a few more times to get things going.

I've also just set up the discount for abandoned carts and favourited items.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Heads up, Etsy shop owners. Another half-baked Etsy feature was released today: the Star Seller badge. Totally idiotic, for multiple reasons.

A squeezing of the stakeholder towel? More profit, less value for everyone but the Etsy sellers?

becks22

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Jul 6, 2016
Upstate NY

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Good Morning everyone,

While perusing the forum, I've seen a few smaller threads that mention Etsy but not a specific Etsy thread. I didn't know how many of you are selling on Etsy or use it at all. I thought this might be a good place to post any tips for Etsy for sellers and any other feedback that buyers can offer.

I personally do not have an Etsy shop but my mom does. I do all the backend stuff for her since she just figured out how to use email about 2 months ago. I take the photos, put up the listings, and do pretty much everything besides the actual sewing of the products. My mom only uses it as a hobby in conjunction with doing craft fairs around Christmas time so she isn't looking to sell a ton especially since she only can sew so much at one time but I figured they are people on here are do use Etsy as a business? Prints, digital downloads, pattterns, etc can all be scaleable and sold on Etsy so I just thought I would start a thread to learn more. Etsy also might be a good place to sell if you're just starting off and are flipping items as vintage items are pretty popular on Etsy.

Etsy is much like Amazon where you don't have control but you do have the ability of being a little bit more creative as compared to Amazon's storefront.

I've tried Etsy's version of PPC and haven't had a ton of luck with it. Has anyone tried their selling features for advertising or uses Pattern?
I used to have a etsy shop. I sold stuff regularly. When they went public, the sales totally stopped. So, I no long have an etsy shop. Oh well.

becks22

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Jul 6, 2016
Upstate NY
Today is the 'due date' for changing your shipping guidelines under Etsy's new rules. If you don't have your shipping profiles up to date, your listings won't renew.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah

TedM

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
May 21, 2013
Israel
Thanks for this thread.

Advice, please? I'm considering opening an Etsy store for a patented hand-made product - unique leather/wool super comfy sleep masks. My target price is $37 inc. shipping.

I only have the one product, but i can make it in many different colors, so i guess each one can count as another item.

In your humble opinions:
  • is it at all worthwhile to open my open store?
  • would it be better to sell through another's store - that is in a different area (art stuff)?
  • should i forget about etsy and look at the smaller venues - like zibbet or others (that i don't really know)?
  • is Amazon handmade a realistic option?
many thanks.

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
only have the one product, but i can make it in many different colors, so i guess each one can count as another item.
You should make one listing with all the colours available and then duplicate that listing and switch the title, tags and photos to another colour.

You need multiple listings to get more traffic to your shop. Over 30, but 100+ work best.

When you first open your store you’ll have around 1-2 months of boost. Etsy gives it to new shops.
Make sure you start right so you can have the best possible outcome.

Etsy is an one and done deal. Once you put in the required upfront work for your listings, you don’t need to do much to keep the momentum going.

I am currently funding my personal expenses through etsy, so I know a thing or two about it.Etsy is where I first tasted success with a £30k opening month.

Also, Etsy should be one of your sales channels. Once you set it up, you can then reuse everything you have for another sales channel.

Let me know if you need any help with ranking listings on the first page, etc.

TedM

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
May 21, 2013
Israel
Thanks for your reply.

Let me know if you need any help with ranking listings on the first page, etc.

Of course I'll need help!! I look forward to being in touch.

applegirl

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
Dec 20, 2021
I know of some clothing pieces that sell well on Etsy but they're not handmade by one person so not allowed. Where else can somebody sell them?

becks22

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Jul 6, 2016
Upstate NY

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
9 Best Etsy Alternatives for Creative Entrepreneurs

Secondly, I think you can still sell on Etsy but need to disclose the other creators >
Seller Policy - Our House Rules | Etsy

I know that some shops promote 'fair trade' goods that they disclose that the initial sewing is done by African women and then finished in the US
of course you can, as long as you add a production partner and what they do.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
This is pretty interesting (I'm only about 10 minutes in).

AnneC

Conscious
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
392%
Jan 3, 2012
USA
There’s a relatively new feature in Etsy Ads that lets you turn on/off relevant keywords. Etsy says it’s a “test,” so I don’t have a lot of faith in it. We’re only running ads on a handful of listings, but we did go through and scrub out some bad keywords.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.