The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The black sheep of the family, time to prove them wrong!!!

KingChuck211

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 24, 2018
Birmingham, U.K
Hey guys!

Just thought I'd introduce myself after reading other introduction posts.
Names Chuck, currently 26 years old and in the middle of setting up an e-commerce business.

This is the first time I have felt on the right path after being the first in my family to drop out of university (twice). Everyone has a degree, mum , dad, cousins, grandparents....everyone. I'm the black sheep and my family has given me hell for it, they have the belief that without a degree you are nothing in our society.

I felt so lost for so long! I felt like such a failure going from one crappy job to the next, at the time I still had the same beliefs as my family. This culminated in what I call my quarter life crisis. This crisis ended up in a psychotic episode resulting in me being admitted into a psych ward for 3 months.

Although it was a tough time and what I call ROCK BOTTOM, a friend sent me a book 'the power of now' by Eckhart Tolle. This book opened my mind to new ideas and beliefs and led
to a fascination with the self-help section of the book shops.

Although my family laughed and sneered at me reading books such as 'think and grow rich' and 'the science of getting rich' these books slowly gave me hope that I can be a success and that success isn't solely defined by having a degree.

I have now realised that I am not a victim of life and that I can change my life by changing my mindset. I am now so driven and am putting my all into making my business a success! I might be the black sheep in my family but I'm going to be the black sheep that lives in the fast lane.

I found this forum by accident but I personally don't believe in coincidences. I have read the first 3 chapters of 'millionaire fastlane ' and loved it!!! The full book should be arriving tomorrow!!

I am glad I found this forum, I might not have the support of my family in being an entrepreneur but there's you guys!! I cant wait to learn from everyone!

Let's do this!!!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Bon Appetit

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Jan 19, 2018
Paris, France
Hi Chuck and welcome to TFLF.

Reading TMF is a good start to your journey, and you should read Unscripted also. You will understand a ton of things in our society with those two books, it will allow you to step back and have an overview of our society.

I bet you are going to recognize yourself in those books and what you feel. People around you want what is best for you, but their vision of the success is wrong (as the majority of the society), degree do not equal wealth. And success can be reach in many others way which you will learn in your new journey.

However, if I might tell you what I think, do it for YOU not to prove people around you that they are wrong. Aim higher, aim for something meaningful that will drive you to success. The proof that they are wrong will just be a mere consequence of your success.

Don't chase for money (it will come naturally with success), live the process at the fullest, enjoy this way of life which will bring you freedom, don't be scare to fail, it's part of the game.

PS: I am also a black sheep of the family, and proud to be hehe

FREEDOM94

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 22, 2017
Ontario canada
Welcome! I totally feel you man,my family also believes that without a degree you are a total failure. It's hard being the blacksheep but that's even more reason for us to succeed. I would pick up unscripted as soon as you finish TMF and also read through all the gold threads.

goodluck on your journey

RichieKastl

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
Aug 10, 2017
Ohio
Good luck! I'm in the same boat as you are in. My dad caught me reading The Four Hour Workweek and asked me if I got it in the fiction section. I get a lot of shit from my family and friends for having entrepreneurial dreams but I don't let them get to me. Keep going my friend and prove them wrong!

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Nothing wrong with being the black sheep. You may be the leader of the pack in the end. Good to see you here. And first rule! You have nothing to prove to them. Just have to prove it to yourself you can overcome any obstacle you choose.

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France
The isolated family member is usually the one who becomes awake.

Prove them wrong, my man.

yes

by the way, this is explained in this book

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007H930E/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

this is double edge

dictators also wanted to " prove them wrong" and get revenge on life or whatever

if Hitler hadn't failed as a painter and artist in his youth ( the school rejected him )

maybe the world would have never entered WW2

nyc217

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jul 7, 2017
New York, NY
Hey guys!

Just thought I'd introduce myself after reading other introduction posts.
Names Chuck, currently 26 years old and in the middle of setting up an e-commerce business.

This is the first time I have felt on the right path after being the first in my family to drop out of university (twice). Everyone has a degree, mum , dad, cousins, grandparents....everyone. I'm the black sheep and my family has given me hell for it, they have the belief that without a degree you are nothing in our society.

I felt so lost for so long! I felt like such a failure going from one crappy job to the next, at the time I still had the same beliefs as my family. This culminated in what I call my quarter life crisis. This crisis ended up in a psychotic episode resulting in me being admitted into a psych ward for 3 months.

Although it was a tough time and what I call ROCK BOTTOM, a friend sent me a book 'the power of now' by Eckhart Tolle. This book opened my mind to new ideas and beliefs and led
to a fascination with the self-help section of the book shops.

Although my family laughed and sneered at me reading books such as 'think and grow rich' and 'the science of getting rich' these books slowly gave me hope that I can be a success and that success isn't solely defined by having a degree.

I have now realised that I am not a victim of life and that I can change my life by changing my mindset. I am now so driven and am putting my all into making my business a success! I might be the black sheep in my family but I'm going to be the black sheep that lives in the fast lane.

I found this forum by accident but I personally don't believe in coincidences. I have read the first 3 chapters of 'millionaire fastlane ' and loved it!!! The full book should be arriving tomorrow!!

I am glad I found this forum, I might not have the support of my family in being an entrepreneur but there's you guys!! I cant wait to learn from everyone!

Let's do this!!!

Best of luck! Prove them wrong !

KingChuck211

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 24, 2018
Birmingham, U.K
What a toxic environment, if you live with them I suggest moving out seriously. How are you supposed to grow as a person when you have slowlaner pea brains critiquing your every move?

Already on moving out. Most of my money has been put into developing this business, my goal is to be out by April/June.

It's incredibly toxic, To stop the constant criticism I've had to make an application to university to shut them up. They think I'm going back in September but I'm never going back.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
...I'm the black sheep and my family has given me hell for it, they have the belief that without a degree you are nothing in our society...
Thing have changed. In the past your family was right -- a college was very important. That was before on-line education. Now a formal college degree doesn't carry the same weight as it would have in the past. You can, and your should, educate yourself. It's all there for taking...

Van Halen

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Mar 3, 2017
United Kingdom
Already on moving out. Most of my money has been put into developing this business, my goal is to be out by April/June.

It's incredibly toxic, To stop the constant criticism I've had to make an application to university to shut them up. They think I'm going back in September but I'm never going back.
Dam, you really are a bitch to their approval. It's okay I lived most of my life like that. You do realise, people sell you on their life choices out of insecurity that they made the wrong decision? By you not going to University and becoming successful makes them look stupid. It makes them think that they also could of taken that path, but didnt. It's classic crabs in a bucket. Keep your goals to yourself.

KingChuck211

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 24, 2018
Birmingham, U.K
The black sheep is the person to be.

Edit: Or the sheep to be.
Dam, you really are a bitch to their approval. It's okay I lived most of my life like that. You do realise, people sell you on their life choices out of insecurity that they made the wrong decision? By you not going to University and becoming successful makes them look stupid. It makes them think that they also could of taken that path, but didnt. It's classic crabs in a bucket. Keep your goals to yourself.

I've had to learn the hard way to keep my goals or mini-successes to myself (apart from one of my cousins and my younger who believe in me and always cheer me on).

Being told, "Look how well everyone else your age is doing who has graduated and you are doing nothing" sucks especially when you have a set back. Since I've sent my application, no one has mentioned a thing which allows me to work on my business in peace.

Crabs in a bucket mentality totally!! - Elizabeth Gilbert: What to Do When Your Family Is Holding You Back (great read for anyone if interested)

KingChuck211

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 24, 2018
Birmingham, U.K
Thing have changed. In the past your family was right -- a college was very important. That was before on-line education. Now a formal college degree doesn't carry the same weight as it would have in the past. You can, and your should, educate yourself. It's all there for taking...

Well said!

Times are changing and if you cannot change with the times, you will be left behind.

I have learnt far more in books/autobiographies on success that I bought myself than in any textbook.

Lumo

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Sep 20, 2016
Germany
Well said!

Times are changing and if you cannot change with the times, you will be left behind.

I have learnt far more in books/autobiographies on success that I bought myself than in any textbook.

Why should the family trust if you havent earned a dollar?

Go get some results and you will be more confident.

Your family will notice that.

craig1928

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Jul 31, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
I'm in the same boat as you are in. My dad caught me reading The Four Hour Workweek and asked me if I got it in the fiction section. I

in fairness to your Dad the title of the book is bordering on if not total fiction

Patrick Besong

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Dec 8, 2014
Central PA
degrees aren't that important these days unless you really want a 9-5 job (and even then they aren't that critical). i say this despite working for a large university. ;-) if you're going to start your own biz, you'll get your degree in experience, which is far more valuable, imho.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Toxic is in the eye of the beholder. It is all in your perception. You have nothing to prove to anyone. Do your thing and quit worrying about others.

You do you...

Welcome.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.