The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Best Slowlane Job Possible!

Topics related to Slowlane, Scripted mainstream dogma

GuyJeb

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Nov 27, 2011
Scenario:

You've been with a state agency for 3 years, at a current salary of about $5,000/month. You sit in a cubicle in a brand new building. The building has it's own Cafe, Gym, Coffee shop, and even childcare. You are allowed to do anything during your free time, including surfing most of the web save for social media sites like myspace.com. If you stay until you are 55ish, you can retire on a "Pension fund" and receive free healthcare, with a monthly check of about $5,000 until the day you die...

Problem:

You are bored out of your mind... Between searching for a new job, browsing the Fastlane Forum, and checking out online Masters programs, you have very little work to do. In fact, because of your experience, work seems trivial. In a regular day, you probably do a good 1-2 hours of work for every 8 hour workday.. Because you've read books such as "The Millionaire Fastlane " and "The 4 hour work week" you realize that you are cutting your life short by giving in to such a slow lane system.

After reading the above..What would you do?

Thanks for any responses..

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Save money.

And then save more money.

and then even more.

Spend my time learning one thing. Implement it.

For example, 4HWW talks about ecommerce a lot, and to find your muse.

How many muses have you tested?

The ecommerce thread here by biophase gives details.

How much have you done following this?

Importing from China to sell online has a lot of good info out there these days. What products have you identified and are testing the market?

Above all, I'd be saving and getting my business going, so I can leave that work soon.

My soul would feel bad, like a thief stealing from tax payers and not giving them their money's worth.

You can easily get used to that and you will be corrupted from the inside... rotten.

theDarkness

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Jul 11, 2012
If you really can do anything, then I would work on something Fastlane during my downtime.

DTS Ltd

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Aug 17, 2012
Save money.

And then save more money.

and then even more.

Spend my time learning one thing. Implement it.

For example, 4HWW talks about ecommerce a lot, and to find your muse.

How many muses have you tested?

The ecommerce thread here by biophase gives details.

How much have you done following this?

Importing from China to sell online has a lot of good info out there these days. What products have you identified and are testing the market?

Above all, I'd be saving and getting my business going, so I can leave that work soon.

My soul would feel bad, like a thief stealing from tax payers and not giving them their money's worth.

You can easily get used to that and you will be corrupted from the inside... rotten.

I co-sign this and would also recommend that you find a way to reduce your expenses as much as possible. Best that you get into the practice of doing it now, so that you carry the discipline with you when you launch your business and you're running it.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Couldn't have said it better than andviv.

Your goal is to save until you can quit. That is, save your money and save your time. Work your days, then build your business on the side. Save as much as you can.

Once your business is making enough for you to live, give your 2 weeks... or however long it takes them to find a replacement (if they really need you that is).

Then you can focus your time on scaling your business and getting on that Fastlane.

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
If you really can do anything, then I would work on something Fastlane during my downtime.

THIS man! I'd do this, and I'm doing this.

Last year I was working a telemarketing job. I was strapped to a cubical with my headset on. Every 5 mins or so the autodialler would call out and I'd read a script selling a high-end dating service. In-between calls I wrote my first ebook With Pen and Paper! When I got home, I typed the entire book into my smartphone (couldn't afford to fix my computer at the time) and then emailed it to myself. When I finally saved up enough to fix my computer, I converted the book to PDF and started my website. After 4 months of being for sale, last month the ebook made me an extra $800. 100% of that gets reinvested into something bigger.

Your hands are tied less than mine are/were. You can WRITE an ebook in your spare time on your work computer. You can design your website, you can use wordpress in your downtime. Now's no time to talk about how bored you are, now's the time to take some action, replace your income, and crush it!

As slowlane as your job is, I'd kill for it right now. You make enough money and have enough free time to bootstrap a fastlane business right now. If you're at a loss for ideas PM me! I'd love to help you think of a way to get started!

jilla82

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Jun 4, 2012
Chicago
Honestly...nobody can tell you.
We dont know you, and you dont know us.
You have to find your own path.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Sorry man but that sounds like hell.

InMotion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Mar 18, 2011
In a regular day, you probably do a good 1-2 hours of work for every 8 hour workday

With the information given... great answers previously posted...I personally would work on some side hustle, do some deals on the side in the beginning; don't quit that job yet...shit that's a gravy train for building something on the side. I didn't know Tim's book related to working for the gov. 4 hours a week.... hell I gotta read that again lol.

GuyJeb

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Nov 27, 2011
To answer your questions/responses:

I’ve tested a few eBook ideas, almost launched a “Dota 2 guide†(I’m huge PC gamer. But just gave up), web templates (a friend makes bank on this, but I hate programming. Considered just owning a business and hiring others to make the templates for me. Was told this would ruin my rep and wouldn’t work. Should have tested it though..).
You’ve all made it clear that saving to build a muse is my best exit plan. Thank you!

@DennisDuty: You really inspired me with that story.

Thank you everyone for your responses. I needed this. I can’t count how many times I’ve spoken with co-workers, family, friends about this issue. And every time their response is “WTF? Why would you ever wanna leave? You can retire with Millions!†Which to me translates as "This is normal, put in your 30 years like everyone else."
I just can’t accept it though.. I used to be very happy with this job, but now.. to know that there is a better way of living.. knowing that there are people like you guys out there doing your dreamed business/idea’s and finding a way to make success happen... It causes me to see no joy in doing this for 30 years... I need to select one field that I am most interested in, and pursue a method in which I can meet the needs in that field.

Thanks again everyone for taking the time to respond.
-Jeb

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Federal and some State employees have another advantage....

You could transfer to another division, temporarily.

See if there is an opening in a division that is more technical, or more interesting, where you get the chance to learn something new.

For example, if I could, I'd transfer to a division that had to do with Real Estate. I like RE. And learning the other side of the game, how the governments see it, would be great. Another would be related to regulation for companies.

What agency do you work for? (not need to be to specific if confidentiality is an issue...)

1. Is this option to transfer (sometimes called 'detail') available for you?
2. If so, what other divisions would be interesting for you to explore, and get paid while you learn?

Dezzamondo

Indefatigable
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Mar 11, 2012
Worcester, UK
In interesting dailemma that seems to be facing a lot of potential fastlaners... myself included :)

I automated my J.O.B. and spend all my free time (most of the working day) developing new products to test, licence and ship from abroad. Just today I've ordered some products from an actual manufacturer in Hong Kong to test before re-brading them under my own flag. Not bad considering its all been whilst I'm under the payroll of my current employer ;)

Absorb all you can from the big guns (and the smaller guns gathering speed) on the forum and decide whether you want to test your fastlane muse with the spare time you have, or take a different career path like andviv suggests.

The world is your Oyster :)

Good luck whichever road you decide to take Jeb

johnp

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Aug 29, 2011
Philly
Scenario:

You've been with a state agency for 3 years, at a current salary of about $5,000/month. You sit in a cubicle in a brand new building. The building has it's own Cafe, Gym, Coffee shop, and even childcare. You are allowed to do anything during your free time, including surfing most of the web save for social media sites like myspace.com. If you stay until you are 55ish, you can retire on a "Pension fund" and receive free healthcare, with a monthly check of about $5,000 until the day you die...

Wow. This sounds like my situation! Where are you located? I'm over in PA. Problem is that we don't even have a gym, cafe, and all of that other stuff. We have white walls, dirty blue floors, and a slowlane mentality on steroids.

You are bored out of your mind... Between searching for a new job, browsing the Fastlane Forum, and checking out online Masters programs, you have very little work to do. In fact, because of your experience, work seems trivial. In a regular day, you probably do a good 1-2 hours of work for every 8 hour workday.

I can tell you exactly what to do because I'm in your exact situation. Suck it up and start a business. If you already have one, then push it to the max.

Clearly you don't get it. And don't worry, it took me about 6 months to realize this too. This is a blessing in disguise. Quit surfing around on social media sites - it's a waste of time unless you are trying to learn about social design or something. Quit looking for jobs, that's why you are here. Your procrastinating and likely to get sucked in forever if you continue.

Work your a$$ off on your work when you have to work. Walk at light-speed around the building. People will think your working hard. Do shit for your bosses that exceed their expectations. I went from nothing to telling my boss how to carry about strategic objectives. That is Key - This will free up a shit load of time for you to work on your own business. I have even turned down promotions to keep myself in my current position. Where the hell can you get paid to sit in a cubical and work on your business? It seems like it sucks, and but it's a great situation. Work your a$$ off, and get out of the hell hall when your business takes off.

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
Scenario:

Problem:

You are bored out of your mind... Between searching for a new job, browsing the Fastlane Forum, and checking out online Masters programs, you have very little work to do. In fact, because of your experience, work seems trivial. In a regular day, you probably do a good 1-2 hours of work for every 8 hour workday.. Because you've read books such as "The Millionaire Fastlane " and "The 4 hour work week" you realize that you are cutting your life short by giving in to such a slow lane system.

After reading the above..What would you do?

Thanks for any responses..

Start a business while still working at that job. Wait until I made enough money from that job to live on, and then quit the job.

road_runner

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Feb 23, 2012
Wow, never got a better explanation of my situation, and also the attitude from the people around me. And i don't even have to go to the office. I managed to get a side job, kind of freelancer project, so i get some good cash coming. Still i am jumping from idea to idea and haven't done anything really positive, which i am not proud of

yodiggity

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Sep 23, 2012
Ohio
While you're there ... buy everything you could possibly need now. I would also start researching costs for health care and all that (look in to small business support organizations).

You're in a good spot. Yeah I would start a biz right at the cubicle. Maybe use a personal tablet for the more private aspects of what you are doing.

SaraK

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Apr 25, 2008
Phoenix, Arizona, USA
As slowlane as your job is, I'd kill for it right now. You make enough money and have enough free time to bootstrap a fastlane business right now. If you're at a loss for ideas PM me! I'd love to help you think of a way to get started!

I second this. You have an incredible luxury of time during the day to do whatever you want on your computer - use it to start a fastlane biz! If you're not sure what idea to go with, just start trying them and see what works and what doesn't. It's ok if not all your ideas pan out. Eventually one will and then you'll be on a roll. Get those failures out of the way while you are living on someone else's dime. When you hit it big you will be paying back the taxpayers by creating jobs and stimulating the economy. If only all government employees created that much value, LOL!

RBefort

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Sep 14, 2012
I have the same type of job as OP, except I make 1/2-2/3 the salary he does. I only have a busy season a couple of months a year and can usually find some free time, also. The problem is getting the idea. I feel like I am wasting a ton of time sitting at the office when I could be doing what I enjoy or working on a business. Need to get creative!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.