The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The "Astonishing Secrets" Thread

IceCreamKid

With Great Power Comes Great Electricity Bill
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,185%
Jun 8, 2010
California
I Can't Find A Product To Sell, Bro! Please help me, Ice Cream Kid!

OMG so I keep getting PM's asking the same questions over and over again.

"I'm struggling finding a product to sell."

WTF. Have you guys even read my thread? I talk about loving others and being present to their pains/needs. I never talk about looking for products to sell. Have you even taken the time to reach out to somebody to ask them what their needs/pains are? Nope, you're too busy browsing aliexpress looking for the next thing that can make you a quick profit.

CHANGE YOUR LANGUAGE from "what product can I sell" to "what pain can I solve".

You wanna know why ideas flow to me like waterfalls in Hawaii? Because I focus on people's pain and the value that I can bring to solve that pain. I don't care about money and that is why the money comes. Money is elusive in nature like that. People first, then money. I don't hide behind my computer browsing alibaba for the next product that I can unload on ebay. I'm about building a business, not some quick $5 profit.

FOCUS ON ONE THING AND STOP JUMPING AROUND TO DIFFERENT IDEAS SO FAST

I've gotten enough PM's from all of you to see MANY pains that I can probably create an educational course out of. There are people with the mindset pains, those with the pain of trying to come up with an idea, those who need help with copywriting, those who need help with marketing. I NEVER WOULD'VE REALIZED ALL OF THESE LITTLE PAINS EXISTED IF I DIDN'T REACH OUT AND TALK TO PEOPLE. Dude, I can probably make a course out of this and charge some good money for it.<--That's an idea right there. THAT IS A HUGE NEED. NOW GO GET IT.

You don't even need a course though. You just need to take action and you will find your answers. It really sucks to see how nobody seems to take action here and they just want me to spoonfeed them the answers.

Guys, do you see the mindset at work here? Stop looking for a product and focus on the needs of others.

Take action and pick up the phone. Stop being lazy. Stop being scared. Get the ice cream.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

IceCreamKid

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,185%
Jun 8, 2010
California
I have complete confidence that once I find a problem worth solving, I will roll from there.
I said it once and I'll say it again...when you take your business to its first $100k, you will realize how insignificant the idea really is. The copywriting, marketing, managing employees, etc is what gets you the ice cream.

Process is everything.

IceCreamKid

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,185%
Jun 8, 2010
California

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
@MJ DeMarco , too much gold in this thread for it to sit without a proper headline tag.

@IceCreamKid , check your rep bank. I am about to make a deposit. Keep pressing. Your thread has a chance to be one of the forum's greatest threads, and change lives. Don't let up.

@zen******* , nice to know that some people are listening. Please bookmark this thread and come back to it on the days where you are banging your head on the wall trying to create a break through for someone. To those that listen carefully, you are changing lives. Oh and check your rep bank as I am about to make a deposit there also.

jpa0827

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Feb 13, 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
Ok I am going to be the Jackass to publicly address this issue a little more in depth. So that all can learn at my expense.:)

I want to talk more about pain, because I undertsand that you need to find pain and give the customer a solution. Where I get hung up is how much pain is enough for a business?

For example, everyone needs to shower; therefore, they need soap so that they can solve the pain of being dirty. Does this mean that we can go out and start a line of soaps even though they are already on the shelf being sold by other companies?

Every pet owner feeds their dog (hopefully), because they want the dog to live and be healthy; therefore, canned dog food makes it conveinient for the owner and provides the dog with what it needs to be healthy? Does this mean that their is a pain and a dog food line should be created?

People carry money; therefore, they need a wallet or money clip...etc. Does this mean you can solve a pain by creating another money clip under your brand?

What I am getting at is, do you consider these pains/needs already met or will (for example) the need for dog food never be met; therefore, someone can always elbow their way into the market?

If this is the case, then yes the idea is super easy. Find any product you want that solves a need, replicate or change it if possible and start marketing the hell out of it.

I think this is the struggle many of us are having. I keep thinking of what Jackedwards says. "you don't need to reinvent the wheel." How different does the wheel need to be, if at all?

Milkanic

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Apr 17, 2012
Madison, WI
Great thread. Love the writing style and message.

take-action-get-the-ice-cream-canvas-print.jpeg

Enki

on-ramp
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Jun 18, 2013
Cleveland, Oh USA
Have you even taken the time to reach out to somebody to ask them what their needs/pains are

I finally did this the day before yesterday. I was at my Step fathers business. A deliveryman came in with some orders. Small talk lead to big talk lead to idea talk. During the whole conversation I had an Idea in the back of my head (How can I make this interaction benefit this man?). In the course of the conversation he basically spilled out all of the frustrating things his company is doing wrong. He is the one taking orders, he knows what is selling, what is not, he knows what people want. His input doesn't hold any weight in his company's decision making process. In the end I walked a way with a good idea that would go along way in the industry. An added bonus of the delivery man giving me praise "You have an outstanding attitude" & "You made my day" went along way towards fortifying my shifting mindset to add beneficial solutions to the world.

AlexanderV

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
341%
Dec 3, 2013
Ontario
For example, everyone needs to shower; therefore, they need soap so that they can solve the pain of being dirty. Does this mean that we can go out and start a line of soaps even though they are already on the shelf being sold by other companies?

NO, selling one more soap or shampoo will not make you rich. You need to dig deeper and find out the little gaps to be filled. For example, x % of the market are allergic to some of the ingredients in soap or x % of the market wants a product that get rids of dandruff (Head & Shoulders nailed that...), also think about of these people in XYZ country who really want something but don't have access to it. CREATE YOUR OWN SHELF !!!

I have started a small importing business with a friend and we spent several weeks doing our research by reading hundreds, if not thousands of comments on various websites and reaching out by calling manufacturers in China and Taiwan (YEA ACTUALLY PICKING UP THE ****** PHONE !!!). This allowed us to find a great product and know EXACTLY what the market is craving for. This idea has the potential for big big money but we spent a ton of time researching and talking to people. And we are still looking for ideas to provide the best product imaginable every single day!!!

You have to differentiate yourself and actually solve problems, you have to actually get there and talk to people, understand what they want and bring it to them. Copy sells, but it sells 100x better when you have a genuine interest in the customer and have something of value for them.

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
I want to talk more about pain, because I undertsand that you need to find pain and give the customer a solution. Where I get hung up is how much pain is enough for a business?

Every pet owner feeds their dog (hopefully), because they want the dog to live and be healthy; therefore, canned dog food makes it conveinient for the owner and provides the dog with what it needs to be healthy? Does this mean that their is a pain and a dog food line should be created?

People carry money; therefore, they need a wallet or money clip...etc. Does this mean you can solve a pain by creating another money clip under your brand?

What I am getting at is, do you consider these pains/needs already met or will (for example) the need for dog food never be met; therefore, someone can always elbow their way into the market?

If this is the case, then yes the idea is super easy. Find any product you want that solves a need, replicate or change it if possible and start marketing the hell out of it.

I think this is the struggle many of us are having. I keep thinking of what Jackedwards says. "you don't need to reinvent the wheel." How different does the wheel need to be, if at all?

This screams to me "I don't want to actually talk to people, because I'm afraid of asking them 'is there anything you dislike about your wallet? If there was one thing you could have that would improve your ownership of your pet, what would it be? When you bought your money clip, what were you thinking...why did you by that one as opposed to the other 20 styles out there?"

MJ's avatar says it all - you can't cheat the grind. One of the easiest and hardest things to do is to talk to people and ask them what their problems are. The analysis you are doing is good for figuring out who to talk to, but it doesn't replace it.

Or, you could make a product and hope and pray that people want it. Having failed at that option multiple times I don't recommend it.

Dane Maxwell said that of the 17 businesses he's started, 100% of the ones he started from his own ideas failed. 100% of the ones he started by asking people what their pain points were have succeeded.

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
Where I get hung up is how much pain is enough for a business?

"Omg! I'm so glad I found you!"

Have you ever given someone something simple, and they said "omfg I love you!", like you gave your sister a concert ticket, or your brother some boxing gloves.
You were surprised by how huge their reaction was, and stood their, jaw wide open, as they danced away into their own little world.

Generally to validate a pain point I realise that it is all subjective until you "see it in action". People generally have straight faces, until you unwrap the present and watch for the cues.

Questions and wtf is this = Bad and you need to massively tweak
Omg, I know what this is shutup shut up shutup = Good!

Are you addressing a pain in a bullshit way, or, are you helping them GET the icecream!

Small things make a difference, thats always my motto when the pants come off

Last edited:

davedev

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
Jun 3, 2013
Florida
Right on @throttleforward

Sure every dirty body needs soap, but why your soap? "Just because it's there on the shelf". Nobody would buy that. You'll get laughed out the room.

Every dog is hungry, but why eat your dog food? "I thought you were hungry dog!".

Nope. That's not from the 'space' people like Dane Maxwell, @zen*******, @Vigilante, and @IceCreamKid operate from. I know it.

As you pick up the phone, get face to face, you'll start to uncover that "Yes I do buy dog food for my dog (of course, are you nuts?), but I'm worried about GMO whatever, or [insert some other deep concern they have wafting about in the air as it concerns them and their dog]...

You have now reached level 1.

Anyhow, that's how I picture it.

EDIT: Check out what Terry Lin says about this (from the Build My Online Store Podcast)
http://www.buildmyonlinestore.com/articles/how-i-prototyped-a-product-in-china-part-1/
Under the heading:
Finding an Idea (but read the whole thing, pretty cool stuff).

For those that didn't click - a summary.

"I never had a way to keep my passport, boarding pass, immigration forms, foreign IDs, and ATM cards handy, often shoving these items somewhere in my jacket, pocket, or backpack."

Well lookie here! He used his own pain point to design a product. In any case, it has to be defined that clearly. Then, he goes into how he tested the potential market for such an item.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

jpa0827

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Feb 13, 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
Right on @throttleforward

Sure every dirty body needs soap, but why your soap? "Just because it's there on the shelf". Nobody would buy that. You'll get laughed out the room.

Every dog is hungry, but why eat your dog food? "I thought you were hungry dog!".

Nope. That's not from the 'space' people like Dane Maxwell, @zen*******, @Vigilante, and @IceCreamKid operate from. I know it.

As you pick up the phone, get face to face, you'll start to uncover that "Yes I do buy dog food for my dog (of course, are you nuts?), but I'm worried about GMO whatever, or [insert some other deep concern they have wafting about in the air as it concerns them and their dog]...

You have now reached level 1.

Anyhow, that's how I picture it.

I understand that it has to actually fit somewhere in the market, but am I wrong to think that most needs have been exposed by competition. I would think by now that dog food companies no what the customer want. I know zen******* loves competition; therfore, in the end isn't the product solving the same problem, but just might look different or have a different brand or marketing tactic, than the competition.

Supplements are an example that comes to mind, because my understanding is that a ton of those companies are selling private labeled goods to solve the same weight loss problem. If you look at the ingredients, most of them are the same. So are we really looking for something that different???

I'm not looking for the next Facebook, I get you need to understand your customer, but isn't that more about marketing than it is about you physical product???

AlexanderV

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
341%
Dec 3, 2013
Ontario
Supplements are an example that comes to mind, because my understanding is that a ton of those companies are selling private labeled goods to solve the same weight loss problem. If you look at the ingredients, most of them are the same. So are we really looking for something that different???

The Best example I could find for you is Eskil's progress thread: https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...ing-a-supplement-business-from-scratch.41961/

From his own words:
"The seven active ingredients are a powerful pack of already widely known, true and tested ingredients that all have been proven to actually improve overall health in various different ways. These ingredients are already selling well in the supplement market today – but usually sold separately under generic brands. My USP is that I offer these altogether in one convenient, daily dose"

Last edited by a moderator:

MattCour

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Aug 17, 2012
NY

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida
I would think by now that dog food companies no what the customer want.

I just logged into Twitter for you. Searched "Hate Dogfood". Flood of ideas.

Most repeated "hate" - "I hate getting dogfood on my hands"

Now, go get em.

AlexanderV

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
341%
Dec 3, 2013
Ontario

Enki

on-ramp
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Jun 18, 2013
Cleveland, Oh USA
I'm not looking for the next Facebook, I get you need to understand your customer, but isn't that more about marketing than it is about you physical product???

I think in the end it does turn out that way. You look back and say "What the hell? I just sold X amount of Z. But I think the number one thing is having a true belief in what you are selling. then it becomes, "how can I show people the value in this product?" I think you have to have a passion to make peoples lives a little better. How can you do that if you think your product is just another soap?

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
but am I wrong to think that most needs have been exposed by competition
Yes.

Why can't YOU be the competition that exposes something new?

I would think by now that dog food companies no what the customer want.
Why? That's the whole point of this forum. If big companies knew everything about every topic, how could new businesses pop up? Did those big dog food companies all start on June 4th, 1953 and from thereafter no new company could come along because those initial companies knew everything there was to know about dog food?

How did Facebook get started, when myspace was already in existance?

Why did Zappos start? Amazon was already in existance - surely they already knew everything about selling shoes.

jpa0827

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Feb 13, 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
I just logged into Twitter for you. Searched "Hate Dogfood". Flood of ideas.

Most repeated "hate" - "I hate getting dogfood on my hands"

Now, go get em.

I actually do the twitter search quite a bit. I think where things get confusing is determining if the need is really that big. Typically competition I thought was validation that there is a market for something.

So if I search "I Hate XXXX" and I see a way to create a product around that, then the question in my head is, "What does my competition offer that can solve this?" "Is there any competition?"

If I don't see a competitor, part of me wants to think that there must not be enough demand for a solution.

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
@jpa0827 Those are all good things to think and consider, but please...just talk to real live human beings. Use things like twitter search, etc. to know who to talk to and what questions to ask.

Why don't you use your twitter search methodology to uncover a potential pain point, bring it back here and we'll walk through together within this thread on what next steps to take.

So your current task=use twitter to find one...any...pain point, and report what you find back here.

pinekoan

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
406%
Jan 23, 2014

My friend, you don't want it badly enough. If someone held a gun to your head and said they'll pull the trigger immediately unless you start a business tonight, would you tell them you're busy? Shift your mindset. I want you to have an ice cream shop for yourself, my brother! Come party with me in Candy Land!

Was stumped that I couldn't get out of my lease AND keep commuting 3 hours a day to the day job. Day job is supportive of fastlane at present for a variety of reason. Needed a creative solution.

Found a room to rent in the densely populated college city where my day job is. Achieves 1) 3+ hours less time daily commuting I can now spend IN ACTION, and 2) more people around, more opportunities, more chances to get uncomfortable and engage with/listen to people and their problems/lives. My other place is in the MIDDLE OF NOWHERE which I LOVE. I found my peace and Vision in nature, but now its time to hit the pavement in the world.

I'm losing $520 a month for this room but the freedom and time is well worth it. There is still plenty of $$ left over to invest in the startup.

Progress.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
If I don't see a competitor, part of me wants to think that there must not be enough demand for a solution.

This just means that you take any news as bad news. You need to change your mindset.

"Two shoe salesmen were sent to Africa to see if there was a market for their product.

The first salesman reported back, “This is a terrible business opportunity, no-one wears shoes.”

The second salesman reported back, “This is a fantastic business opportunity, no-one wears shoes.”

The only question that I have is, when confronted with a problem or challenge, which salesman are you?"

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Tagged Gold. :rockon:

jpa0827

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Feb 13, 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
@jpa0827 Those are all good things to think and consider, but please...just talk to real live human beings. Use things like twitter search, etc. to know who to talk to and what questions to ask.

Why don't you use your twitter search methodology to uncover a potential pain point, bring it back here and we'll walk through together within this thread on what next steps to take.

So your current task=use twitter to find one...any...pain point, and report what you find back here.

OK, So I did a quick twitter search and tried to stick to one of the examples I am using for this discussion/exercise. First thing I saw was a tweet from a girl that said: "I hate that I can't use certain soaps and body washes because my skin is so sensitive... I want to smell like coconut!"

This is a common problem, because my fiance actually has to avoid scented soaps from places like Bath and Body Works.

Enki

on-ramp
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Jun 18, 2013
Cleveland, Oh USA

jpa0827

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Feb 13, 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
This just means that you take any news as bad news. You need to change your mindset.

"Two shoe salesmen were sent to Africa to see if there was a market for their product.

The first salesman reported back, “This is a terrible business opportunity, no-one wears shoes.”

The second salesman reported back, “This is a fantastic business opportunity, no-one wears shoes.”

The only question that I have is, when confronted with a problem or challenge, which salesman are you?"

You are definitely right it is my mindset. I don't have a problem with failure and I no longer have a problem with selling or talking to random people about problems. I took a job for the last 2 years in commercial insurance sales to get over the fear of selling and develop those skills, because I knew that i would learn a lot of useful things to apply to business in the future.

I like that quote BTW. Great point!

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
OK, So I did a quick twitter search and tried to stick to one of the examples I am using for this discussion/exercise. First thing I saw was a tweet from a girl that said: "I hate that I can't use certain soaps and body washes because my skin is so sensitive... I want to smell like coconut!"

This is a common problem, because my fiance actually has to avoid scented soaps from places like Bath and Body Works.

So there are a few steps you can take now:
-google scented soap for sensitive skin, see what's out there
-research what causes reactions to soaps and see what makes the sensitive skin soaps different
-talk to people with sensitive skin and ask them why they don't use existing scented soaps designed for sensitive skins (if they exist)

A couple of outcomes here:
-you find that there are no scented soaps for sensitive skins. Huge business opportunity if you can figure this out! PM the soap makers on this forum and talk to them about solving this problem with them.
-there are soaps that exist, but no one knows about them. Huge business opportunity! Approach them after doing research on their compnay with ways to improve their marketing/advertising.
-people know about the scented soaps for sensitive skin, but they don't use them. Ask them why...huge business opportunities for you if you can figure out how to repackage/resell the existing soap in a way that is more appealing to buyers.

No matter how you analyze, you get awesome business opportunities. But you HAVE to talk to people (that you've never met) who have sensitive skin about these issues in order to truly uncover where the problems/pain points are. If you don't you're leaving out a huge part of the analysis.

Edit: How do you reach those people? Find online forums where people ask about sensitive skin remedies, search through twitter and reach out there, see if there are any bloggers who have done reviews of soaps, etc.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.