The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The 3 M's of Marketing - Help For Beginners

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
A lot of beginners on the forum. A lot of lurkers. This post is a little experiment to see if this kind of content is helpful to people...

I think I have to credit Dan Kennedy for introducing me to this idea, although I've read it and variations of it elsewhere. I have been teaching this to people for at least 15 years. I honestly don't know how much of what follows is my thoughts versus things I read.

Okay, so you are a new business owner. Or you at least are thinking about being a business owner.

You're trying to figure out how to market yourself.

I hope to give you a framework to think about and be able to evaluate different marketing tools and tactics. It's called the 3Ms of marketing.

What are the 3 M's?

Market
Medium
If you line these three things up properly, you have a money making machine.

Let's break it down.

Market

Who are you talking to? Who are you trying to reach? Who is it that needs what you're selling?

What do they like? Why are they buying? How old are they? What other demographic information do they have in common? Geography? Family? Single? Rent or own a home?

Marketers will also use this kind of data to talk about a buyer persona. I think that's a pretty good way to look at it.

Whenever I'm creating some marketing strategy, I come up with a buyer persona, or a customer avatar, in my head.

I give them a name. "Suzie". And then I'm marketing to the Suzie's of the world. And I try to imagine as much as I possibly can that sounds realistic about Suzie.

Side note… sometimes your company serves a few different buyer personas. So maybe you have a Sam or a Sapin or a Sonia. That's ok too.

Medium

This is where new entrepreneurs get stuck. There's always a fancy new thing that you JUST HAVE TO DO. TikTok, Instagram, Facebook, Google, TV ads, programmatic, email, text, sly dial, online TV ads, radio ads, online radio ads, flyers, door hangers, word of mouth…

There are so many mediums out there.

To make money, you just have to be good at 1. But it's got to be the right one.

I think of your business like a table. You could have one big pole that holds up your table. But if that pole breaks, you don't have a table no more.

A table's better with four legs. It's more stable.

So as your business grows, work on adding more legs to it.

To build sustainability, you probably want to have at least 3. This way if one leg gets taken out, you still have at least two other ways to make money.

And going back to the different personas, you might reach a certain kind of person one way, and another kind of person another way.

What in the world do you want to say to these people? I feel like this is pretty straightforward. Copywriting, marketing, these kinds of skills will play a role here.

Do you want to say hey buy my thing? Sometimes that works. Or is your message, sign up for my free gimmick, and overtime I will convince you to buy my thing. That works too.

And maybe I'm stating the obvious, but going back to the personas, you want to make sure you're speaking the language of each individual prospect. In many of my campaigns I'll use different techniques for men or women.

For example, and this is more of a generalization than a hard rule, but I tend to use more concrete numbers if my market is predominantly men, and I tend to use more emotion-based language what if my market is women. But I definitely do a little of both either way.

Another example is my use of !!! In my tests, I have found that if you are targeting people of affluence, even one ! is too many. They lower conversion rate. Meanwhile, if you're targeting people in actual poverty, ! will raise conversion. It is hit or miss for people in the middle. I find it often has no effect. But too many !!! Is also a bad no matter what economic level people are at.

These are general guidelines I use based on my experience. Because I've tested different messages to different audiences. As you grow your business you should always be testing as well. Make sure your tailoring what you're saying to the person you're speaking to.

It's funny, for years I've had two garage door companies as clients. One on the east side of the city and one on the west side of the city. I started off marketing them the exact same, and I took them on within 6 months of each other. But after many years and many iterations, it became pretty clear that one is much better at selling new doors, and the other one is much better at repairs. I've helped them craft the kind of business they want to craft by finding the audience that suits them.

Lining them up

When I meet with a client, they usually know two of the three things.

They usually have a business, so they know what they're selling. They usually tell me what the message is. Since I am a search engine marketer, all I have to do is find out if there are people searching who want to hear the message. The search engine is the medium.

But this works as long as you know any two of the three.

Want to reach fitness enthusiasts on YouTube? Craft a strong enough message and you'll be huge. I've seen any number of quality influencers trying to reach new people getting in shape, experienced people trying to maximize gains, yoga enthusiasts, etc.

I've got a buddy that started by building an audience of middle-aged mostly single men (market) on Facebook (medium). It took him a little bit but he figured it out and started a beard cream business. His revenue today is a healthy seven figures, uses several social media platforms plus email.

But what if you have the product, a strong selling proposition, and you know who needs it? Then it's just a matter of figuring out what the right medium to deliver your messages. Are your people even on YouTube or Google? We can make some assumptions, like tick tockers tend to be younger and Facebookers tend to be older. But would word of mouth or TV advertising be better? Sometimes you test several mediums until you find the right ones for you.

I think where people struggle with marketing is when they only have one of the three.

Man I've got this great idea for a product, but I have no idea who will buy it.

Gosh I really want to help people struggling with divorce, but I have no idea how to help them or reach them.

I'm really really good at TikTok videos or copywriting or graphic design, but I have no idea who needs my service or how I solve an actual problem.

And truth be told, I'd be stuck in those situations too.

We say this on the forum a lot. If you want to start a business ask yourself what is a problem that you can solve that someone will pay you to solve.

If you don't know that, then this article won't help you.

But if you do know that, then here's the next step.

As you're trying to think of what business to build, start thinking in terms of what messages you want to be sending through which mediums to reach what people.

Or, you can take this in reverse.

If I were this person with this problem (remember Suzie), what mediums would I be seeking in order to find a solution? What message(s) would work on me?

Ultimately it's as simple as this, Suzie has a problem, and you need to find a way to send her a message letting her know that you have the solution.

Hopefully this makes marketing a little easier and gets your gears turning and helps you find more of your Suzies or Sams.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

machinistguy

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
518%
Aug 22, 2022
DFW, Texas
Great thread! Wish I could have read it years ago.

One thing I'd add is each medium has a lot of nuance to it and requires some specialized technical knowledge. So if you're new to marketing and are able to get sales on it but they're not profitable, there's good chance you can make them profitable if you take a deep dive into them (or hire someone to do it for you). I.e. maybe it's just some keywords that are unprofitable and are messing with your costs, and you'll be golden if you take them out.

Last edited:

Prdgy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Mar 27, 2023
Fantastic thread!

Another thing to note is that you should choose your mediums in accordance to your market. If you're selling an ointment for age-related joint pains, you're not going to get many sales from TikTok. On Facebook however, that's another story. Every social media has a certain group of people that dominate in some form. Facebook has old people, TikTok has kids, Youtube has basically everyone (Youtube is a rare case because it has grown to be almost homogenous and there's little to no competition that's at the same level as they are, besides maybe Rumble nowadays), Twitter has politically extreme people, etc.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
A lot of beginners on the forum. A lot of lurkers. This post is a little experiment to see if this kind of content is helpful to people...

I think I have to credit Dan Kennedy for introducing me to this idea, although I've read it and variations of it elsewhere. I have been teaching this to people for at least 15 years. I honestly don't know how much of what follows is my thoughts versus things I read.

Okay, so you are a new business owner. Or you at least are thinking about being a business owner.

I hope to give you a framework to think about and be able to evaluate different marketing tools and tactics. It's called the 3Ms of marketing.

What are the 3 M's?

Market
Medium

Let's break it down.

Market

Who are you talking to? Who are you trying to reach? Who is it that needs what you're selling?

What do they like? Why are they buying? How old are they? What other demographic information do they have in common? Geography? Family? Single? Rent or own a home?

Marketers will also use this kind of data to talk about a buyer persona. I think that's a pretty good way to look at it.

Whenever I'm creating some marketing strategy, I come up with a buyer persona, or a customer avatar, in my head.

I give them a name. "Suzie". And then I'm marketing to the Suzie's of the world. And I try to imagine as much as I possibly can that sounds realistic about Suzie.

Side note… sometimes your company serves a few different buyer personas. So maybe you have a Sam or a Sapin or a Sonia. That's ok too.

Medium

This is where new entrepreneurs get stuck. There's always a fancy new thing that you JUST HAVE TO DO. TikTok, Instagram, Facebook, Google, TV ads, programmatic, email, text, sly dial, online TV ads, radio ads, online radio ads, flyers, door hangers, word of mouth…

I think of your business like a table. You could have one big pole that holds up your table. But if that pole breaks, you don't have a table no more.

To build sustainability, you probably want to have at least 3. This way if one leg gets taken out, you still have at least two other ways to make money.

And going back to the different personas, you might reach a certain kind of person one way, and another kind of person another way.

What in the world do you want to say to these people? I feel like this is pretty straightforward. Copywriting, marketing, these kinds of skills will play a role here.

Do you want to say hey buy my thing? Sometimes that works. Or is your message, sign up for my free gimmick, and overtime I will convince you to buy my thing. That works too.

And maybe I'm stating the obvious, but going back to the personas, you want to make sure you're speaking the language of each individual prospect. In many of my campaigns I'll use different techniques for men or women.

For example, and this is more of a generalization than a hard rule, but I tend to use more concrete numbers if my market is predominantly men, and I tend to use more emotion-based language what if my market is women. But I definitely do a little of both either way.

Another example is my use of !!! In my tests, I have found that if you are targeting people of affluence, even one ! is too many. They lower conversion rate. Meanwhile, if you're targeting people in actual poverty, ! will raise conversion. It is hit or miss for people in the middle. I find it often has no effect. But too many !!! Is also a bad no matter what economic level people are at.

These are general guidelines I use based on my experience. Because I've tested different messages to different audiences. As you grow your business you should always be testing as well. Make sure your tailoring what you're saying to the person you're speaking to.

It's funny, for years I've had two garage door companies as clients. One on the east side of the city and one on the west side of the city. I started off marketing them the exact same, and I took them on within 6 months of each other. But after many years and many iterations, it became pretty clear that one is much better at selling new doors, and the other one is much better at repairs. I've helped them craft the kind of business they want to craft by finding the audience that suits them.

Lining them up

They usually have a business, so they know what they're selling. They usually tell me what the message is. Since I am a search engine marketer, all I have to do is find out if there are people searching who want to hear the message. The search engine is the medium.

Want to reach fitness enthusiasts on YouTube? Craft a strong enough message and you'll be huge. I've seen any number of quality influencers trying to reach new people getting in shape, experienced people trying to maximize gains, yoga enthusiasts, etc.

I've got a buddy that started by building an audience of middle-aged mostly single men (market) on Facebook (medium). It took him a little bit but he figured it out and started a beard cream business. His revenue today is a healthy seven figures, uses several social media platforms plus email.

But what if you have the product, a strong selling proposition, and you know who needs it? Then it's just a matter of figuring out what the right medium to deliver your messages. Are your people even on YouTube or Google? We can make some assumptions, like tick tockers tend to be younger and Facebookers tend to be older. But would word of mouth or TV advertising be better? Sometimes you test several mediums until you find the right ones for you.

I think where people struggle with marketing is when they only have one of the three.

Gosh I really want to help people struggling with divorce, but I have no idea how to help them or reach them.

I'm really really good at TikTok videos or copywriting or graphic design, but I have no idea who needs my service or how I solve an actual problem.

We say this on the forum a lot. If you want to start a business ask yourself what is a problem that you can solve that someone will pay you to solve.

As you're trying to think of what business to build, start thinking in terms of what messages you want to be sending through which mediums to reach what people.

If I were this person with this problem (remember Suzie), what mediums would I be seeking in order to find a solution? What message(s) would work on me?

Ultimately it's as simple as this, Suzie has a problem, and you need to find a way to send her a message letting her know that you have the solution.

Hopefully this makes marketing a little easier and gets your gears turning and helps you find more of your Suzies or Sams.
Good thread Bizy, underappreciated advice on the forum. I think a lot of people still have a very unsophisticated view of marketing.

constant

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
255%
Nov 8, 2022

What are the 3 M's?

Market
Medium

Let's break it down.

Market

Medium

Lining them up

Thank you for the post. It has given me a clear solid foundation for marketing my services.

Supa

Came for the $. Stayed for the Ice Cream.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany
That thread is pure Gold. Thank you!

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
Thank you for taking the time and energy to make this post! Your writing is clear and concise, and your message is especially insightful with the examples.

FreakyThomas

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jun 26, 2017
Nice, France
Thank you ! Really clear and concise explanation for marketing. Love it! I can't believe there's not 10 pages of answers saying thanks.
What is your process/advice for testing/selecting the right medium for your market?

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Thank you ! Really clear and concise explanation for marketing. Love it! I can't believe there's not 10 pages of answers saying thanks.
What is your process/advice for testing/selecting the right medium for your market?

Common sense.

Pick one that makes sense and get started.

Grandmas aren't big on TikTok and teenagers aren't big on Facebook. So use some common sense.

I think speed of execution matters more than finding the perfect medium. The goal is to be testing, which means you have to be actively marketing it.

If you're spending money on the marketing, expect to get results quickly. Don't run a test for 2 months and spend $1,000 on it when it's clearly not going anywhere. The best marketing methods, the ones that have the right marketing fit, tend to get results very quickly.

How quick? I turned on my ads last night and had two sales this morning level quick. Or I went out with my bucket and knocked on doors today, came home with $400 from window/car washing quick.

Once you have a good marketing tactic in place, get started finding the next one. Too often I have seen people get addicted to one good marketing tactic, and then some change by a tech company or a couple bad reviews in a row, and they see a sales drop that makes them sleepless.

Your company's marketing should be an ever growing, ever evolving tool in your toolbox.

One last thing...

Try and find a medium your competition hasn't tapped.

I talk about some of the more off the wall ideas in my banker thread. You might want to read that thread for some more of my thoughts, but I'll quote just one part here.

Leave No Marketing Channel Unconsidered

Think classified ads are dead? Wrong. Think AOL is dead? Wrong. Think phone books are dead? Wrong.

I was shocked at the stories I heard about where people got their customers. I’m not suggesting you are going to Fastlane by using classifieds, AOL and phone books. I am just saying that for the right businesses, your customers might be reached using techniques others think are dead.

Dead just means less noise for you to cut through.

I had a multi-million dollar estate planning law practice with 15 employees. Their only paid marketing channel? Ads in Catholic church flyers (a place full of older people who take legacy seriously). Yes, just Catholic churches. Yes, I’m talking the paper leaflets handed out.

If I remember right, they just covered the cost of printing them and in exchange get to say something tactful and respectful on bottom quarter of the back page, with a nice hook. I don’t recall the hook. $4-5 million a year in sales if memory serves.

Edit: Since the thread is called Help for beginners, and since beginners often have very little money, I'll also link to the get referrals for free thread. Hope that helps.

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Upgraded to GOLD, thanks @BizyDad for the value bomb, relevant to any business.

Anna13

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Jun 1, 2023

What are the 3 M's?

Market
Medium

Let's break it down.

Market

Medium

Lining them up

Hey BizyDad,
thank you very much for this information!

Do you have experience with Google ads? If so, is it better to set "leads" or a "purchase" as a goal?

Best wishes,
Anna

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.