The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Thanks to MJ & the forum! My official site launch: Toothbrush Subscription

dochustle

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Feb 1, 2012
Sunnyvale, California
Some suggestions:
- get a dentist to give a testimonial
- on the home page reduce the text and have a big order button instead of link to catalog
- when giving the yearly pricing I suggest instead the pricing per quarter, as it will appear much more attractive and almost a no brainer. Of course they will see the bigger yearly price when ordering but at that point it will make sense to them if you explain it in a few words.

Re branding ideas yes you need a better brand and domain. Maybe something like "refreshyourbrush". Look at toothpaste sites/ads and maybe you'll get some ideas, as they are good at using "fresh" descriptions and keywords.

Hope that helps. Keep at it!

Some great advice here, I really appreciate it. I'm working on getting some dentists testimonials done.

Great point on the pricing structure. If I advertise it at $5.75/3 months it sounds a lot better. I will implement this soon!

Thanks!

Dave

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
Ok it is official.

I will be interviewing the owner and creator of this company, David Howe on Wed Nov7th at 9 PM EST(NY City time)

You do NOT need to call in to hear the show. Just go to my blog talk radio show here: Michael Plante - Home at 9 PM on Wed Oct 7th and click on the Blog Talk Radio show on the right hand side of the page towards the top.

BUT if you would like to call in with questions for David you can do so by calling (347) 884-8979

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
HA! Yes thank you!

Seriously it is bad sometimes if I am not near a computer I have to ask my wife what month it is.

THANKS man! SPEED + I changed the post thank you!

Halffull

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
Oct 25, 2012
I don't know if someone already mentioned this, but the testimonials you have are quite obviously fake.

I watched one with a women, and she was like "I love the toothbrush, and here are the benefits , and I love the website, and here are the benefits , and I love the free report and here are the benefits, and I love the blog" in quick succession.

Real testimonials won't sound like a portfolio of your companies products with a list of benefits... they'll be raving about one product or talking about the outcomes the product created :).

Just my 2c.

Props on getting something up there to sell, and taking action. I'm super impressed with what you've done so far.

dochustle

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Feb 1, 2012
Sunnyvale, California
Ok it is official.

I will be interviewing the owner and creator of this company, David Howe on Wed Nov7th at 9 PM EST(NY City time)

You do NOT need to call in to hear the show. Just go to my blog talk radio show here: Michael Plante - Home at 9 PM on Wed Oct 7th and click on the Blog Talk Radio show on the right hand side of the page towards the top.

BUT if you would like to call in with questions for David you can do so by calling (347) 884-8979

YES! I'm very excited to do this interview. Can't wait.. thanks for the opportunity Mike.

I don't know if someone already mentioned this, but the testimonials you have are quite obviously fake.

I watched one with a women, and she was like "I love the toothbrush, and here are the benefits , and I love the website, and here are the benefits , and I love the free report and here are the benefits, and I love the blog" in quick succession.

Real testimonials won't sound like a portfolio of your companies products with a list of benefits... they'll be raving about one product or talking about the outcomes the product created .

Just my 2c.

Props on getting something up there to sell, and taking action. I'm super impressed with what you've done so far.

Thanks. I took down the testimonials, they did look very unprofessional.

I have some dentists doing real testimonials for me, they should really help conversions. I also put up some HQ graphics on the homepage, they look awesome!

miked_d

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Dec 25, 2008
Los Angeles
@doc - I was brushing my teeth this morning with my new toothbrush and my cool new two minute timer when I realized the sand in the timer stopped falling. Only the second time I used the timer so I don't know if it happens a lot.

dochustle

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Feb 1, 2012
Sunnyvale, California
@doc - I was brushing my teeth this morning with my new toothbrush and my cool new two minute timer when I realized the sand in the timer stopped falling. Only the second time I used the timer so I don't know if it happens a lot.

Hey Mike. If that happens again, let me know. I'll send you off a new one. Maybe it just needs a shake?

How do you like the brush? Its one of only 30 in the world approved by the ADA!

miked_d

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Dec 25, 2008
Los Angeles
Brush is a little softer than I'm used to, but it works fine.

A shake got it going again and I will let you know if it happens again.

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
No it was 9 PM EST and he did GREAT!

Very interesting show he did for sure. You can listen to in on OneLessThought.com

dochustle

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Feb 1, 2012
Sunnyvale, California

Moneymadness

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Jan 15, 2012
Bay Area, CA
Awesome site! One thing, like what others are saying, is the name of the site. I feel there's no connection with tooth and dental hygiene whatsoever. As for the pricing, it's a bit steep for the start. Perhaps, cutting the price down with more value just to get your foot in the door. This way you can grab more traffic and something someone won't have to think twice about.

I give you two thumbs up! I wish you the best. :coolgleamA:

dochustle

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Feb 1, 2012
Sunnyvale, California
Awesome site! One thing, like what others are saying, is the name of the site. I feel there's no connection with tooth and dental hygiene whatsoever. As for the pricing, it's a bit steep for the start. Perhaps, cutting the price down with more value just to get your foot in the door. This way you can grab more traffic and something someone won't have to think twice about.

I give you two thumbs up! I wish you the best.

Thanks for the input. I have lowered the pricing to less than 20 bucks a year (comes out to $4.98/every 3 months)

O.K guys .. I need some help. Iv'e narrowed my choices to 2 domains:

TwoDollarToothbrush.com & ToothbrushSubscriptions.com

With TwoDollarToothbrush I would obviously have to offer a $2 toothbrush. I would do the same thing as dollar shave club and basically offer a brush for cheap and add S/H, and offer two more expensive versions without shipping and handling.

For example:
Adult Brushes:
Brush 1: 2$ Plus S/H
Brush 2: $5 S/H Incl
Brush 3: $6.50 S/H Incl (will be a very nice brush for 6.50!)

And I would still have the teenagers and childrens brushes. TwoDollarToothbrush has a catchy ring to it.

ToothbrushSubscriptions.com is very to the point, and basically tells you what your getting if you come to the site, a toothbrush subscription.

Its kind of a mouthful, but like everyone has said on the forums, the domain name has to relate to what i'm selling, and this does the trick.

What's everyones thoughts? I thank you in advance.

Dave

P.S i'm offering a fire sale price right now on brushes to generate some buzz, take advantage if you want. It won't last long

http://www.onelessthought.com/products/2-dollar-toothbrush/

And its not a auto-renewal payment. One-time, 8 bucks.

miked_d

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Dec 25, 2008
Los Angeles

dochustle

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Feb 1, 2012
Sunnyvale, California
Happened again. I have stopped using the timer.

Sorry about that Mike, it happened to me a few times too. Your the only person to buy one so far, it looks like i'll have to take the product off the site. It does work after a few shakes for me, but thats not a very quality product that I want to be selling!

I'll tell you what Mike, I'll send you 4 brushes for your son, on the house. What age is he, Junior (6-10?) or teen (10+)?

Dave

BostonH

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Jul 30, 2012
Massachusetts
Just a typo to point out:

The Teen

With all that Kraft-Dinner your kids have been eating, a high quality, regular cleaning is in order. This brush will help keep those cheese stains of their teeth. Quality is always the motto around here and this brush is built with teenage oral hygiene in mind.

Select The Teenager

Correction:

This brush will keep those cheese stains off of their teeth. (or off their teeth)

dochustle

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Feb 1, 2012
Sunnyvale, California
Just a typo to point out:

The Teen

With all that Kraft-Dinner your kids have been eating, a high quality, regular cleaning is in order. This brush will help keep those cheese stains of their teeth. Quality is always the motto around here and this brush is built with teenage oral hygiene in mind.

Select The Teenager

Correction:

This brush will keep those cheese stains off of their teeth. (or off their teeth)

Thank you. Speed +

Any more thoughts on ToothbrushSubscriptions.com vs TwoDollarToothbrush.com

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
twodollartoothbrush.com has a nice ring to it but I think toothbrushsubscriptions.com is more descriptive of what you offer. I think I would go with toothbrushsubscription.com

miked_d

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Dec 25, 2008
Los Angeles
Sorry about that Mike, it happened to me a few times too. Your the only person to buy one so far, it looks like i'll have to take the product off the site. It does work after a few shakes for me, but thats not a very quality product that I want to be selling!

It seemed slow, so I was using the timer on my phone to check. It just stopped again. I think there may have been moisture in the sand, because there always seemed to be some left in the upper part.

I'll tell you what Mike, I'll send you 4 brushes for your son, on the house. What age is he, Junior (6-10?) or teen (10+)?

That is great. Teen please.

TheTruth

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Feb 13, 2012
Toronto/Scottsdale
Thanks for the input. I have lowered the pricing to less than 20 bucks a year (comes out to $4.98/every 3 months)

O.K guys .. I need some help. Iv'e narrowed my choices to 2 domains:

TwoDollarToothbrush.com & ToothbrushSubscriptions.com

With TwoDollarToothbrush I would obviously have to offer a $2 toothbrush. I would do the same thing as dollar shave club and basically offer a brush for cheap and add S/H, and offer two more expensive versions without shipping and handling.

For example:
Adult Brushes:
Brush 1: 2$ Plus S/H
Brush 2: $5 S/H Incl
Brush 3: $6.50 S/H Incl (will be a very nice brush for 6.50!)

And I would still have the teenagers and childrens brushes. TwoDollarToothbrush has a catchy ring to it.

ToothbrushSubscriptions.com is very to the point, and basically tells you what your getting if you come to the site, a toothbrush subscription.

Its kind of a mouthful, but like everyone has said on the forums, the domain name has to relate to what i'm selling, and this does the trick.

What's everyones thoughts? I thank you in advance.

Dave

P.S i'm offering a fire sale price right now on brushes to generate some buzz, take advantage if you want. It won't last long

2 Dollar Toothbrush - One Less Thought

And its not a auto-renewal payment. One-time, 8 bucks.

I think twodollartoothbrush.com would be a better fit just like "dollarshaveclub"

It has the "catch" to it and it gives the brand more pop.

Not only that, but I feel you can make the margins back on the up-sells. It's kind of like you are making this a no-brainer for people.

Since toothbrushes are such a commodity, what you are "selling to them" is convenience. It's not hard for me to pick up a toothbrush when I am buying groceries, but for $2 I might be respond with "yeah I have nothing to lose here"

The perceived $2 would do well with any PR you get as well.

davek

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Jan 6, 2013
congrats on the launch! you've made it further than most!

Ivan

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Jul 22, 2011
Another product that could work with a subscription: aluminum-free deodorant.

The aluminum in most deodorants has been linked to some serious health issues (namely Alzheimer's). I overheard some nursing students talking about it a year ago and did some research. There are conflicting studies, but the demand is enough that several companies have made deodorant that's marketed as "aluminum-free" (I use the Arm and Hammer one)...

The thing is, these aluminum-free deodorants are not too common in stores. I usually buy mine online. I'm not super paranoid, but it's practically the same price, so why not be on the safe side? I would totally sign up for a subscription that would mail me a new stick every 4 months or so (as long as the price was reasonable).

Google monthly searches (local, exact match)
"aluminum-free deodorant" - 1900 searches
"aluminum-free antiperspirant" - 590 searches
"deodorant without aluminum" - 1000 searches

So it looks like there are people actively looking for this. Not a lot of people know about the issue, though. Might be effective to partner with some health blogs, do some guest posts, interviews, etc to raise awareness.

I don't know if it's a super cash cow, but if you've already made the subscription model work, you can just replicate it with this.

Last edited:

miked_d

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Dec 25, 2008
Los Angeles
Subscriber update:

Received my new toothbrush a few weeks ago. Had no idea it was time to change. Tossed the old brush and I'm good for 3 more months.

There was floss added to the package but I use flossers. I have some at home, work and in the car.

tchandy

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Aug 16, 2007
Kansas, for now
Have you thought about adding electric toothbrushes? One of the dentists I talked to years ago mentioned this and I've been hooked since then. Everyone in my family uses an electric toothbrush. You could catch an another targeted area.

Tom

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.