The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Tesla Cybertruck

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
Anyone else watch the reveal?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0y3wE0pgXcM

Pretty awesome. And I'm not really a truck guy(more into supercars).

$40k for rwd, 7,500lb tow, 6.5 sec 0-60, 250mile range
$70k for awd, 14,000lb tow, 2.9 sec 0-60, 500mile range
exoskeleton design which can withstand bullets, is dent proof
seats 6
a little smaller than an f-150
variable air suspension
automatic driving comes standard
looks like it's out of Tron

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I just quickly saw that something went wrong with the demonstration (not sure what), and I was like "someone's getting fired" lol

Do you like that design? I mean it's so.. .Delorean-ish / Star Wars idk not for me. Then again my only goal for a car is a cute MZ whenever I actually need a car, if ever

SkyLake

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Nov 29, 2016
It's either bullshit or just ahead of its time. I kinda hate it and love it at the same time.

If I was a millionaire already and had a spare 70k sitting around, I'd probably get the maxed-out model. Shipping in late 2021 so there's time.

And I think the glitch with the broken windows probably helped with the marketing.

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
It's either bullshit or just ahead of its time. I kinda hate it and love it at the same time.

True. I feel it was a bit like that with the Smart car as well, and look now. Still looks clownish but there's a ton.

And I think the glitch with the broken windows probably helped with the marketing.

He's so into reddit that he just wanted to inject a good amount of memes into the market for extra marketing

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
I just quickly saw that something went wrong with the demonstration (not sure what), and I was like "someone's getting fired" lol

Do you like that design? I mean it's so.. .Delorean-ish / Star Wars idk not for me. Then again my only goal for a car is a cute MZ whenever I actually need a car, if ever

I like it a lot. But I'm also not a big fan of traditional trucks, so............

I love that it looks so futuristic. Elon is trendsetting really hard.

MZ is....Maserati? Mercedes?

If I was a millionaire already and had a spare 70k sitting around, I'd probably get the maxed-out model. Shipping in late 2021 so there's time.

lol it probably did help with marketing. It's why I heard of the reveal really. The shares being down 5% though probably stings.

Still, it's a billion times better than the Mustang Mach E. Ugh. Ford. wtf. Way to go in alienating your biggest enthusiasts!

Defection

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Oct 29, 2019

They were showing off their bulletproof windows, so he threw something at it to show their strength and it smashed.

Then he decided to do it softer on the rear quarter window. *SMASH*.

Knowing Elon Musk, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a publicity stunt. Something they can then come out later and state they've fixed and that it's ironed out a 'minor' technical issue before people started owning them.

It's a weird thing, and in my opinion the design is hideous. It's definitely Delorean-esque.

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
I don't think Elon expected it. He was clearly frazzled after it happened and seemed embarrassed. @Defection

If it was planned, then he's a great actor!

SkyLake

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Nov 29, 2016
True. I feel it was a bit like that with the Smart car as well, and look now. Still looks clownish but there's a ton.

He's so into reddit that he just wanted to inject a good amount of memes into the market for extra marketing

Didn't seem like it was planned.. it looked genuine and he did say before that he never prepares for the live events anyway. He handled it well all things considered.

His number two (the tall guy breaking the windows) seemed kinda shocked to me and even asked 'You sure?' before.

Big F*ck up from their part since they marketed it as unbreakable but at least everyone it's talking about it now.

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
I was excited to hear that Tesla was making a truck..

This thing looks like they gave up halfway through the3D modeling process.

I’ll wait until Toyota makes an electric Tacoma...

Michael Burgess

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Sep 30, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Ordered mine last night... the design is definitely strange, but I love the specs and practicality of it! I've been waiting a while for an electric truck and am stoked to get this thing delivered!

SkyLake

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Nov 29, 2016
They were showing off their bulletproof windows, so he threw something at it to show their strength and it smashed.

Then he decided to do it softer on the rear quarter window. *SMASH*.

Knowing Elon Musk, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a publicity stunt. Something they can then come out later and state they've fixed and that it's ironed out a 'minor' technical issue before people started owning them.

It's a weird thing, and in my opinion the design is hideous. It's definitely Delorean-esque.

Yeah the second attempt was clearly half-assed and he still ended up breaking the window. Had he pitched well it would've broken the window in a million pieces.

But no way it's a marketing stunt.. it just wouldn't look great for Elon and Tesla and SpaceX even. A marketing stunt it's sending a Tesla into space.. not proving your truck is not safe.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
It looks absolutely disgusting.....but I like it.

Theory: This is the Mars Rover 1.0

Michael Burgess

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Sep 30, 2014
Ontario, Canada
It looks absolutely disgusting.....but I like it.

Theory: This is the Mars Rover 1.0

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Tesla Cybertruck (pressurized edition) will be official truck of Mars</p>&mdash; Elon Musk (@elonmusk) <a href=" View: https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1197627433970589696?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
">November 21, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
I saw the demo and have been a long time Tesla fan (and a Model X owner).

This is the first reveal where I was like, "Tesla has officially lost their minds".
  1. There's no way they can sell a car with that frame + battery + that glass for under $40k. The raw materials and manufacturing required to produce that is going to be much higher than that of the F150 which sells for $1000 less. From where I'm sitting it makes no sense. Maybe there is something on their economics analysis that I just don't get - but I doubt it.
  2. Elon really needs to stop saying the running/maintenance costs of these cars is lower than an F150. Repairing windshields and tires are maintenance too, not just oil changes. Maintaining a Tesla is ungodly expensive. The windshields cost thousands of dollars (and that's not even this armored glass – i shudder to think of that repair cost). Tires on an EV need to be replaced at least 2x as often and they are much more expensive, especially those beasts on the Cybertruck.
  3. It's ugly as F*ck. IMO it's just too different for mainstream adoption.

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
Why do the tires need to be replaced 2x as often? @csalvato

A few reasons:
  1. Electric vehicles are intrinsically heavier (the MX is over 6000 lbs, the MS is over 4000 lbs, which are both very high for their class of vehicle; this truck is an absolute moster, probably well over 6000 lbs). More weight = more friction on the tires = faster wear.
  2. EVs have much more torque/acceleration. This acceleration is fun as hell, but also translates into more friction on the initial acceleration away from a light. This also translates over into more wear.
  3. Tesla gears their cars for performance, so they make decisions that sacrifice efficiency/economics. For example, the Model X has staggered + asymmetrical tire configuration, which means you can't do things like a tire rotation to extend the life of the tire.
If you have a Honda Pilot or Toyota Sienna, you'll need to replace the tires on your car every 50-65k miles. On a Tesla Model X, it's anywhere from 15k-25k miles.

The conventional tires will run you something like $800. Tires for a Model X are about $1400.

An F150 probably needs new tires every 50-65k miles. This cyber truck? I shudder to think. Probably every 15k-25k miles like the Model X. And those Cyber Truck tires look priceeeeeyyyyy.

EV tires are also more expensive because they have noise-reducing foam. Without them the cabin is much louder, because there's no engine competing with road noise.

MTEE1985

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
425%
Jun 12, 2018
Arizona
I like it. I'll order one if it is out by the time I need a new truck.

Finally we disagree on something besides the economic freedom of Norway :rofl:

In its current state I find it atrocious, however, I suspect the production model will be softened up a bit.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Finally we disagree on something besides the economic freedom of Norway :rofl:

In its current state I find it atrocious, however, I suspect the production model will be softened up a bit.

I hope not. It is basically 2020. Pickup trucks should look like ray guns.

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
Well it's not a prototype model exactly, so I'm not expecting it to change that much.

I hope not. It is basically 2020. Pickup trucks should look like ray guns.

haha, love it.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
I love it. Its reminiscent of the APC from Aliens. If I had the dough I'd be in for the top end model.

Lucky Lu

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Nov 2, 2019
Newport Beach, California
Actually my first impression from a picture was awful. Then I've watched Elon's presentation and it felt less ugly. Finally seeing it side by side with an F.150 made me realize it is better looking that I thought. The cargo compartment features are really cool. I like it finally.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.