The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Tesla and Elon Musk weirdness...

Anything related to investing, including crypto

Mugatti

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Jun 6, 2018
Elon Musk is tweeting weird shit (again). A couple examples: "Tesla stock price is too high imo", "I am selling almost all physical possessions. Will own no house."

And the market responded. TSLA is down, timing coincides with the tweets.

So what's going on? Is he high? Manipulating something? Will he kicked out of Tesla because of this? Will SEC be involved?

Thoughts?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mugatti

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Jun 6, 2018
Elon Musk is tweeting weird shit (again). A couple examples: "Tesla stock price is too high imo", "I am selling almost all physical possessions. Will own no house."

And the market responded. TSLA is down, timing coincides with the tweets.

So what's going on? Is he high? Manipulating something? Will he kicked out of Tesla because of this? Will SEC be involved?

Thoughts?

Also, thoughts on puts on TSLA at this time? (not sure if this is OK with the rules here.)

Mbc

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Jun 22, 2013
Montreal
Also, thoughts on puts on TSLA at this time? (not sure if this is OK with the rules here.)

You wanna buy Puts right after a huge dump? Think about it.

And ya, dunno what is going on with Elon. Crazy behaviour, TSLA is too

Mbc

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Jun 22, 2013
Montreal
I wonder if it'll go down to early January levels, say in the next couple weeks or so...

Maybe, I mean I wouldn't go long TSLA now either. I don't see how Elon doesn't get in trouble for this.
TSLA is a wild stock, it moves hard and has a CEO who tweets out shit like he's on drugs. That's been true since its run from 200 tho.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
I think he’s just pissed off that he had to close. I think “tesla stock is too high” was an acknowledgement that Tesla stock was going to nosedive from his previous twitter rant (before that he was sing-tweeting that Star Spangled Banner with each line as another tweet.)

I think he knew that from the previous tweets that Tesla stock was going to nosedive and he wade a joke “tesla stock is too high anyway.”

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
My bet is on bankruptcy, and this time for real. TSLA was close in 2008, 2016 and 2018. Each time barely pulling by on a shoestring because he was able to shift resources.

This time, the entire world is at a standstill. He's probably got 2-3 months left. /speculating
I don't think they'll go bankrupt. There are way too many people that would be willing to bail them out. If it's not the government, other private companies will buy it out. He may lose power in that, and his vision for the company may become significantly harder, but I don't think Tesla is going to go under.

Mr Cracker

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
May 24, 2012
Mexico

I noticed that too a couple of days ago. I had to double check I was looking at his official verified account.

Andreas Thiel

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Aug 27, 2018
Karlsruhe, Germany
Yes, painful to watch and confusing. Interesting to see where this leads. Could the tweets
"Tesla stock price is too high imo" and "Now give people back their FREEDOM" be related?

Kinda as in: I threw the short sellers a bone, now stop the virus madness? Not sure.

"Will own no house" could be legit. He has spent a lot of time at the factory and apparently also slept there during the Model X ramp up. Maybe it is simply his idea of a pragmatic move.

My bet is on bankruptcy, and this time for real. TSLA was close in 2008, 2016 and 2018. Each time barely pulling by on a shoestring because he was able to shift resources.

This time, the entire world is at a standstill. He's probably got 2-3 months left. /speculating

Makes sense as well. Or at least the knowledge that he will have to downsize significantly and announce another round of cost cuts soon could lead to such tweets.

Mbc

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Jun 22, 2013
Montreal
Yes, painful to watch and confusing. Interesting to see where this leads. Could the tweets
"Tesla stock price is too high imo" and "Now give people back their FREEDOM" be related?

Kinda as in: I threw the short sellers a bone, now stop the virus madness? Not sure.

"Will own no house" could be legit. He has spent a lot of time at the factory and apparently also slept there during the Model X ramp up. Maybe it is simply his idea of a pragmatic move.

Makes sense as well. Or at least the knowledge that he will have to downsize significantly and announce another round of cost cuts soon could lead to such tweets.

He also tweeted his gf is expecting on Monday...I don't think being homeless with a new family is the best thing.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
Eh, this is a new normal. We’ve moved passed the starched shirt and tie CEO to the Celebrity CEO.

Mugatti

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Jun 6, 2018

I'm really curious to watch this unfold in the next couple weeks. Because I can't really tell if he's cracking under pressure, high on some drugs, manipulating something. Or perhaps my imagination is failing me here. This is just crazy.

I'm even more curious about the outlook for TSLA in both short and longer terms.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
Maybe thats the way he keeps his sanity

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
He also tweeted his gf is expecting on Monday...I don't think being homeless with a new family is the best thing.
Not owning a house and being homeless are two different things.

They are both strange people, their norm is not the norm.

Lionhearted

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
May 29, 2012
Killeen Texas

Musk has a LOT of problems now! SEC for the stupid tweets (although factual tweets imo) Not building cars and even if he was, we have 30 million+ people out of work, who are not buying cars. An economy that has tanked. Price of oil is super low, so is gasoline. Every auto manufacturer in the world is building electric vehicles (especially China!). Oh, oh...
Here is what the consumer is going to think, Hmmm should I buy an electric car for a lot of money with limited range, or a gasoline powered car for a lot less that I can throw away in the future when I have more cash????? The consumer is going to go buy what's cheap to drive now, not what's "trendy" and expensive today.
If I didn't know that Tesla is a millennial "love fest" in which non of the facts matter (Tesla has not made a profit in 16 YEARS!) I would short it! But I know there is NO point in betting against irrational people. It's the Bitcoin of the automotive industry, IMO. It is a bubble and it will burst. But short of the company declaring bankruptcy the "love fest" will continue. People responded in the tweets "I have my life's savings in Tesla "dude WTF?" That should give you an idea of the sophistication of the investors. Their life's savings in ONE stock! Thanks. Fools and their money..........

Andreas Thiel

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Aug 27, 2018
Karlsruhe, Germany
Tesla has not made a profit in 16 YEARS!
Well, not anually - but quarterly. And when you look at revenue growth and the relationship between revenue and losses ... it does not look that bad. Compared with Uber, for example.

You are a little too negative on the Musk empire. There is more substance than you think.
Even if the Model 3 sales don't make the wild fantasies come true, then the next Roadster will keep the company alive, even if it is just on a shoestring budget. There are enough rich people these days.

The biggest issue I see is that many households, especially in Europe can't charge their cars at home.
If they fix that issue with their autonomous fleet capabilities at some point, then I really like the Tesla odds.

I don't think the SEC sanctions will hit Tesla a lot. They will probably hit Musk directly.

Mbc

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Jun 22, 2013
Montreal
Well, not anually - but quarterly. And when you look at revenue growth and the relationship between revenue and losses ... it does not look that bad. Compared with Uber, for example.

You are a little too negative on the Musk empire. There is more substance than you think.
Even if the Model 3 sales don't make the wild fantasies come true, then the next Roadster will keep the company alive, even if it is just on a shoestring budget. There are enough rich people these days.

The biggest issue I see is that many households, especially in Europe can't charge their cars at home.
If they fix that issue with their autonomous fleet capabilities at some point, then I really like the Tesla odds.

I don't think the SEC sanctions will hit Tesla a lot. They will probably hit Musk directly.

I'm not an expert on Tesla. I agree with you that Tesla is more than just a car company, at the very least that's what investors think. They collect lots of valuable data from the clients. They make batteries and charging stations. They have the most advanced "self driving" software on vehicles currently being sold. And honestly people love their product, I rarely hear people complain about their Teslas or go back to another brand. That may change with Mercedes getting more into the EV industry, they have unrivaled manufacturing capability, brand power, loyalty, experience, capital, etc.

Tesla and Musk are so tied together though. I can't imagine something hurting Musk and not equally hurting Tesla. As seen on Friday by his ridiculous tweets and the stock drop.

Royce2

y'all need jesus
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Dec 16, 2018
Washington State
I think he is showing how stupid this Stock market system is.

Elon only cares about his market cap staying above a certain limit so he can get paid 50 bil, after that he is going to bury his face into something else that will change the world and NOT raise money although, he is a genius at raising money. Tesla will NOT go bankrupt, and if it does, Tesla 2.0 will rise up. He's a fking genius, you guys need to understand that. If I ran Tesla, and I need to raise money, I would say exactly those words.. "tesla stock is too high imo" only to scoop up some cheap stocks and as we saw today in market open, shoots up $40 within minutes and will continue to grow as this is the perfect generation for electric cars.

Coronavirus is just hitting at the shaky foundations that these companies rely on to survive.. the public market.

all in all, elon is a savage and 100% knows how to manipulate people and the market.

Mugatti

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Jun 6, 2018
I think he is showing how stupid this Stock market system is.

Yeah, in the last couple of months, I lost most of my hope for understanding the markets. And I thought I was starting to get a glimpse of understanding...

Odysseus M Jones

[B...{r<°∆°>}--O--{<°∆°>k}...E]
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Feb 2, 2020
Wasn't he personally fined by the SEC for doing that before? INSIDERS knowledge as I recall.
I recently read that Tesla want to offer power generating services in the UK.
So they'll be a utility
I wonder if their electricity will come from batteries :hilarious:

Andreas Thiel

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Aug 27, 2018
Karlsruhe, Germany
Wasn't he personally fined by the SEC for doing that before? INSIDERS knowledge as I recall.
I recently read that Tesla want to offer power generating services in the UK.
So they'll be a utility
I wonder if their electricity will come from batteries :hilarious:
It wasn't quite the same. The last time he made prices go up. Wouldn't be surprised if this direction does not bother the SEC.

Also it wasn't about INSIDERS knowledge, it was about claims that turned out to be wrong.

Don't quite understand your joke. Elon Musk always said he saw Tesla as an energy company. The Solar Roof plans combined with the Powerwalls are well known.

Odysseus M Jones

[B...{r<°∆°>}--O--{<°∆°>k}...E]
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Feb 2, 2020
It wasn't quite the same. The last time he made prices go up. Wouldn't be surprised if this direction does not bother the SEC.

Also it wasn't about INSIDERS knowledge, it was about claims that turned out to be wrong.

Don't quite understand your joke. Elon Musk always said he saw Tesla as an energy company. The Solar Roof plans combined with the Powerwalls are well known.
Nevertheless, people make money when stocks go down. Could be viewed as manipulation.
I only know Tesla for battery powered cars, I don't follow them.

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
Not owning a house and being homeless are two different things.

They are both strange people, their norm is not the norm.
To further my point, they just named their kid X Æ A-12

jon2089

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
Feb 11, 2017
US
in hindsight it was literally the price of the stock and not the value lol