The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Tactics For Validating Product Demand

Marketing, social media, advertising

BlueChromeTouch

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 23, 2018
Fort Worth, TX
I have heard that it's best to talk to actual customers about your problem/solution in real life.

I have tried to do this before. I had an idea for specialized headphones for solving noisy office environment without going deaf.

I visited a high rise commercial center where a lot of people worked. At around 4:00PM, I caught a couple dozen people going home from work. Most people I approached quickly shut me down for an interview. A few had rather visceral reactions to being approached by a random stranger albeit a polite one.

Finally there were some 30 people who gave me a few minutes of their time for a problem/solution interview. Most of the interviews went along the lines of.....noise in the office is a big problem.....a common solution they used was headphones albeit damaging to long term hearing.

After everything was said and done, I felt like the whole process of interviewing people in real life was a bit cringy. Even though I had validated my problem/solution, I didn't feel like I had gained valuable insight on whether my idea had good growth potential. Potential that someone could commit years of their life to. E.g. most people wouldn't want to commit to a new fashion line business or donuts business. The demand is irrational for the former and local demand is small for the latter.

So I guess my question is what are some good tactics to validate a product? Especially if this validation motivated you to take a plunge on an idea.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
I had validated

You haven't validated your idea. Here's the better way.

Make a shopping website with pictures of your product. Make it full funnel until last purchase page.
Drive some traffic from FB ads.
When they'll click to last page of buying, tell them that you are out of stock and grab their email.

Check how much you pay for ads, how many people "almost bought" and whats your profit per product to see if numbers play in your favor.

If you'd do that, you'd have validated your idea.

Good luck.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.