The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Inuc

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Jul 14, 2014
Nigeria
That is just a reference i grab from the intro
Haha, you're welcome, glad to hear it's resonating with you. Yes, I tried to set very high production values. Thanks for noticing.

Sorry, what do you mean by a precise dollar amount? Either I'm having a senior moment or I'm not grasping the reference.

Happy to answer any questions.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

V8Bill

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
334%
Feb 9, 2012
Australia
That is just a reference i grab from the intro
Oh, of course. The prices amount of money needed to retire to financial freedom. Yes, knowing a precise number helps make it real.

Better listen to my own book again I think...lol

startinup

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
328%
Jul 8, 2016
Just finished listening to this book on audio.

First of all, the quality is great and very professional.

Second, the content is not obvious, but simple. (if that makes sense :rofl:)

It's so easy to fall into the trap of ever growing goals and thinking you'll always need more. But Bill rejects this and shows us how we can live responsibly and enjoyably, regardless of our current level of income. The 2X formula is simple and logical. It's a great way to think about wealth and growing your lifestyle without falling into the trap of the check to check millionaire.

For anyone trying to gain more clarity into creating freedom and wealth, this book is a great choice :)

V8Bill

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
334%
Feb 9, 2012
Australia
Thanks man! Glad you enjoyed it. The one thing I want people to take away from this is increased financial clarity so I'm glad you mentioned that. For the longest time until I had my own near wealth experience wealth and money remained in the figgy distance somewhere. Now I have (and share) the secret to absolute financial clarity and it's the best thing I've ever done.

Supercar

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Mar 14, 2012
Michigan, Arizona
Bill -- Thanks for the great post and the great book. I especially love audiobooks!

One question... I am sure I will find an answer sooner or later. But I have been reading this thread and the PDF for almost an hour and still do not understand how you value (or count) Hobbies and Passions in your formula 2X = F/(H+P).

A non-searchable PDF and not mentioning Hobbies and Passions in the table of contents complicates things further.

V8Bill

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
334%
Feb 9, 2012
Australia
Bill -- Thanks for the great post and the great book. I especially love audiobooks!

One question... I am sure I will find an answer sooner or later. But I have been reading this thread and the PDF for almost an hour and still do not understand how you value (or count) Hobbies and Passions in your formula 2X = F/(H+P).

A non-searchable PDF and not mentioning Hobbies and Passions in the table of contents complicates things further.
Hi "Supercar", thanks for the positive feedback and I'm glad you enjoyed the audio book. Grab the e-book as well (look on the original thread for the PDF link) and you'll be able to search for hobbies and passions quite easily. I use ctrl+f to bring up the search box on PDFs. Should work on any PDF (including mine). I haven't added any scripts to my PDF to prevent searching. Not sure which PDF reader you're using but it should work if you're using standard Adobe reader. Hobbies and passions are mentioned a fair bit in the book and they have their own chapter (19) which you'll find in the contents on page 4.

07087caecb.png

I'm not sure what you mean by "value" or "count" hobbies and passions. Hobbies and passions are the only two (broad) categories of activity left available to you to occupy your time once you've achieved financial freedom (the "F" in the 2X formula for wealth) - which occupies a lot of most active entrepreneur's lives.

The formula largely reads like this...

Twice your essential expenses in income will bring you financial freedom - no matter what level of income you're on or want. What do you do with your new financial freedom? Do you wear long socks and sandals and sit on a porch for the rest of your life? Of course not. You go out and enjoy your life by indulging your hobbies and pursuing your passions because that's what life should be for - enjoying yourself, not being a never ending money hunter your entire existence.

If anything, I assign the ultimate value to hobbies and passions because that's what I live for.

HTH

Supercar

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Mar 14, 2012
Michigan, Arizona
Thank you for the reply, Bill. I finished the audiobook today. It is really awesome. It filled at least one piece in the puzzle of life for me.

I summed up all my essential expenses and listed my net income after taxes for the last several years. Turns out I have been living at ~2x for the last two years. No wonder I have been as happy as a pig in shit! Yes, 2x feels great. But I think I also want to try how 4x feels and then maybe then increase my "essential" expenses! :) There is no true happiness without a pursuit of happiness, is there?!!

Even after listening to the audiobook and skimming the PDF, I still do not get the 2X = F/(H+P) formula. Hey, I am an engineer, and the units on the left and on the right just do not match! There are dollars on the left and something fractional and intangible on the right. I have re-read Chapters 3, 4 and 19 in the PDF and it has not made it clear. If the formula is not really a formula, then why mention it? It can still be a 2X method, even without the formula.

NewManRising

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 30, 2017
Los Angeles
Great story. I will check out your audiobook later. You know, today I had a good idea. Why do we wait to feel good and happy? As I was driving home today I imagined that I had everything I needed. That I was happy and the person I wanted to be. Even if things are not ideal, so what? And why isn't it ideal? Sometimes we don't even know why we are unhappy about things. Things being not ideal is all in your head. I'd rather not be working a job but I am learning to see it as not that big of a deal (other than less freedom). I get around this inconvenience by believing I will not be working a job all my life and I choose to have a better mentality at work such as smiling at people and talking to people.

Just as you said, you don't need a million dollars to be happy. What I think a lot of people do is they do not have a dream life planned/designed. They wait until they are rich and then think their dream life starts there. Sometimes it is better to define your dream life. Sometimes it may not even cost much money to live it. The wealth allows you more freedom but you can still live the life of your dreams without much money. You just have to figure out truly what that life IS.

V8Bill

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
334%
Feb 9, 2012
Australia
Yes, 2x feels great. But I think I also want to try how 4x feels and then maybe then increase my "essential" expenses!
There is no 4X. There's only 2X because that's all you need to feel free of financial stress. The extra goes in the bank as mentioned in the chapter on the "The Three Pocket Method". As for increasing your expenses once you've increased your income that's fine as long as you're still living within 2X. If you're personal income is $10,000 a week you can spend $5,000 a week on essential expenses and still feel free of financial stress because of the other $5,000 a week you have left over for fun and luxury. It can be applied to any income level from the poorest of us to the richest of us. It works for all who actively pursue the (previously undescribed and some would say undescribable) feeling of wealth.

Even after listening to the audiobook and skimming the PDF, I still do not get the 2X = F/(H+P) formula. Hey, I am an engineer, and the units on the left and on the right just do not match! There are dollars on the left and something fractional and intangible on the right. I have re-read Chapters 3, 4 and 19 in the PDF and it has not made it clear. If the formula is not really a formula, then why mention it? It can still be a 2X method, even without the formula.
This isn't engineering, put your mathematical and physics hats back on the shelf and enjoy my quirky way of getting my message across in an easy to remember (many say "unforgettable") wealth "formula". This is philosophy and the formula is just a message and a way of expressing how to feel wealthy according to my personal experiences. Having said that it does make sense when you understand it. I'll summarise it again so it makes perfect sense...

All you need to feel wealthy is an income equal to twice your essential expenses (2X) in order to achieve (equals) financial freedom (F). Once you have financial freedom what are you going to do with your life then? You spend your freedom by dividing it (the divide sign in the formula) into two main areas; indulging your hobbies (H) and pursuing your passions (P).

HTH

Hai

Beauty is Truth
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Jan 1, 2015
I love this book.
It really makes one strike off years and years of trying "becoming a millionaire"(and all the pain associated with it), and provides a framework to relieve financial stress on multiple levels.
First by securing your life by having the right amount of income, then by making it passive with a money system.

"If only I had millions, I could live my life" - That is backwards thinking.

Especially like the "Bloody knee economics"-analogy, which states that once pain is relieved, it can´t be more relieved.
There is a ceiling.
Most millionaire goals are arbitrary. We can be already happy, once relieving financial stress(not having to work for bills).
And once we do, we can continue passions and even business with a lot less stress(by being outcome-independent).

I have personally indentified these steps for myself:
1. Have a 2X income without a job
2. Grow net worth to 200k for financial freedom(5% interest for 1X)
3. Grow net worth to 400k for 2X
3. Indulge in passions and hobbies, especially helping people relieving financial stress.

Last edited:

maverick

Aspice, officio fungeris sine spe honoris ampliori
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Oct 26, 2012
Great post. Repped++.

Especially love the quote: Wealth isn't measured by how much money you have. Wealth is measured by how far you are from financial stress.

The only thing that I'd add to the formula is that your income shouldn't be 100% tied to the number of hours you put in.

V8Bill

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
334%
Feb 9, 2012
Australia
I love this book...
Thanks for your review and the bump. It looks like you got the whole message. I hope it'll help you from now on.

Great post. Repped++.

Especially love the quote: Wealth isn't measured by how much money you have. Wealth is measured by how far you are from financial stress.

The only thing that I'd add to the formula is that your income shouldn't be 100% tied to the number of hours you put in.
Thanks for the rep! Download the audio and let me read the book to you in my amusing Aussie accent.

As for not having your income tied to the numbersof hours you put in I have defined 3 levels of "wealth"

1) Active wealth:
This is where you are active (usually up to or more than full time) in your business or job but are making 2X so that you can feel wealthy but you're working hard for it.

2) Passive wealth:
This is where you have a slight hand in how your 2X level of wealth is produced but it's not much, it's easy or it's portable. For example, you might have rent from real estate (you still have to attend to the maintenance and management of the properties plus there's still some risk), a website that produces subscription income (you might still have to either provide or monitor a service to the subscribers) or (e.g.) an Amazon store that's scaling nicely but you still have to work on it and do some marketing but it can be done from anywhere at any time.

3) Ultimate Wealth:
This is where you have enough millions in the bank (current Aussie deposit rates are around 3% and will climb) and you're living at a 2X level of income without any stress or worry. There's no more gambling and you're 100% guaranteed the income. For example, you could disappear on a 6 month road trip or other adventure and nothing is required from you personally in order for 2X to be dropping into your bank account. Or you've secured some other form or guaranteed income that involves zero (or next to zero) risk that provides a 2X level.

During my personal consults I'm often asked "but how do I get 5-10 million in the bank?" Build a business and sell it. That's your task. If given 10 years I'm pretty sure that anyone (who's really focused... and really wants it... and is really willing to put in whatever effort is required) could build a saleable business worth a few million and exit. Or maybe you could become a brilliant options or Forex trader. "There are ways and means if you look hard enough"...I tell them.

HTH someone.

Last edited:

Vermilion

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Feb 21, 2018
Somewhere
This whole thread is filled with a lot of useful information. I will start to read your book tomorrow morning. Thanks for all the insights.

ALC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Jul 19, 2017
France
Hey Bill !

Seems your pdf link is broken ;)

V8Bill

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
334%
Feb 9, 2012
Australia
Hey Bill !

Seems your pdf link is broken ;)

Thanks. I've changed a few things lately. I'll get to fixing it asap.

In the meantime if anyone wants a (free) copy of the book or link to the (free) audiobook send me a PM with your email and I'll send the book and a link.

SummerGladness

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Apr 2, 2018
UK
Hi Bill,

Thanks for sharing your story. When I click on the links for the MP3 and PDF it just takes me to a blank google search page, are these still available?

Cheers :clap::

V8Bill

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
334%
Feb 9, 2012
Australia
Hi Bill,

Thanks for sharing your story. When I click on the links for the MP3 and PDF it just takes me to a blank google search page, are these still available?

Cheers :clap::

Hi, thanks and you're welcome. Please read the message posted just above yours on how to get your free copies of my book and audiobook.

Thanks.

Carlitos

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jul 13, 2016
New York City
Again beautiful thread Bill! I love the scenario where you stood by the door wearing your best outfit and still being optimistic to getting in to the diner party!

After making you an offer you couldn't refuse over PM, let me get to it and I will get back to you like I promise. Again Bill thank you so much, look forward to talking to you more.

Consolation

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Sep 6, 2017
Malaysia
Bill,

I have unleashed the power of my fantasy goals by removing the dates and replacing them with ASAP.

That's my favorite chapter and it made a lot of difference in my life. Also, you Australians have a funny accent. (using UK EN, here).

Can I say, May God bless you?.
Thank very much.

Last edited:

msufan

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Mar 13, 2013
I want to join the many others thanking V8Bill for this book! If anything, the 5% expected return on investments and the formula using the age of 100 is conservative -- you can probably reach your goals even more easily than what is written in this book, which is awesome. Great stuff!

Carlitos

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jul 13, 2016
New York City
Hello Bill,

At first, I tried reading the book with your audio in the background, I love going over a book that has an audio along with it, because it feels like someone is physically reading it to me. But I had to cut the audio out after a couple of pages, due to the audio was a bit too fast, and a bit off on some of the wordings on the book so it was getting annoying.

I did enjoy the book, but I feel like this book is more for those that do not know how to manage their own money, or save as they continue to work for a better financial security, and be stress free like you mention in your book. I believe is a very good book but is just worded differently to explain the basic on how to save money, and be stress free.

Ever since I been working, I have never had the problem with saving money, and keeping my financial need expenses under my monthly income, and this would give me the opportunity to save. My problem has always been how to increase my income higher by working smarter and not harder. My jobs have always been physical. So now that I have been able to find a solid 9-5 job, this would give me the opportunity to work on other projects to increase my income and have passive income coming in, to give me the opportunity to leave my 9-5 job.

In my own words to enjoy life, you must first enjoy your way of bringing income home first. Because remember when “you love what you do, you do what you love” and you will be more than glad to look forward for another day of work. In my opinion this is the most important part of your formula. From there the income will naturally flow toward you. The idea is to continue increasing your income while investing in more income ways that leads toward your pocket as well.

Your idea of living off the interest you receive from your own money saved in the bank is good, is smart, but is not safe either. But this is something I would have as a backup or extra, aside from my other investments. At this rate the American economy is not safe either, especially now where we continue to raise the debt ceiling, and continue to print more money out. This is causing to depreciate the value of the dollar in my opinion.

I think a second version of this book would be ideas in how to increase your income.

V8Bill

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
334%
Feb 9, 2012
Australia
Ultimate Money Mindset
bit.ly links.

http://bit.ly/ummaudio
(Instant streaming play now)

http://bit.ly/ummaudiozip
(Download for later listening)

http://bit.ly/ummaudiochapterszip
(Download in individual chapters for easy revision)

http://bit.ly/ummbook
(The PDF)

Have you read or listened to Ultimate Money Mindset? If you have and you found it useful please consider returning to this thread to post your feedback. It bumps it back up to the top do others can see it and more people are helped.

Just because something is 100% free doesn't mean it has no (or little) value. This is one of those ultra rare times when value is abundant in something that 100% free with no strings attached. Returning to post feedback helps others.

Last edited:

V8Bill

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
334%
Feb 9, 2012
Australia
At first, I tried reading the book with your audio in the background, I love going over a book that has an audio along with it, because it feels like someone is physically reading it to me. But I had to cut the audio out after a couple of pages, due to the audio was a bit too fast, and a bit off on some of the wordings on the book so it was getting annoying.

That only happens in the intro. I kept editing bits of it after I had finished recording the audio book. From chapter 1 it's 99% word for word.

I think a second version of this book would be ideas in how to increase your income.

I used to be in the "how to make money" "circus" but decided to cross the bridge into wealth theory and financial philosophy because that's what makes me happy and I can speak with authenticity and from direct personal experience. There are trillions of books on how to "become" wealthy but precious few on how to "be" wealthy. Even fewer express it as an easy to understand universal formula that not only can be applied by anyone who's seeking financial freedom but one that opens door number three. The real secret to wealth.

I'll stick to what I know however if I find someone who can actually help people with a new or unique way to make money I'd be glad to share my stage with them.

Thank you for your feedback. It's highly appreciated.

Edwin Fernandez

Freedom
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Feb 7, 2018
Hi V8Bill

Thank you for sharing this, I really enjoyed your inspirational story, I clicked the audio and pdf links and they go to Google.com. Any other ways to get the audiobook please? Thanks

V8Bill

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
334%
Feb 9, 2012
Australia
Hi V8Bill

Thank you for sharing this, I really enjoyed your inspirational story, I clicked the audio and pdf links and they go to Google.com. Any other ways to get the audio-book please? Thanks
Read the whole thread if you can find the time (there are more gems hidden in it which you will enjoy) and you will be rewarded with the answer to your question which is "yes!".

Last edited:

V8Bill

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
334%
Feb 9, 2012
Australia
I still have the audiobook in my phone and I find it always good to listen to.
That is so cool to hear! Thanks for letting me know. My aim was to make it a one time listen and that's all anyone would need. Like listening to my lecture - a one time gig. Care to share your biggest "take away"?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.