The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

So you want to move to Scottsdale?

saigon

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
Sep 25, 2011
NYC/CT/GA
I'll take this over the humidity I had in Atlanta, GA ANYday. It's not that bad :)

edb4525f677bc31f47ee47210aa6662d.png

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
Last edited by a moderator:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I'm sorry. I don't do:

* crazy
* hurricanes (been there, have multiple t-shirts)
* WORSE humidity
* Crazy
* Alligators.

:)

You win some, you lose some. Come visit when you want a vacation.

sunset-dolphin1280.jpg

beaches_4d9676a6-970b-4948-b118-d3eedae8690b.jpg

key-west-beach-florida.jpg.rend.tccom.1280.960.jpeg

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
View attachment 11701 View from my living room. Anyone wanna trade? .......... Please?
I'll go with no..

5EYk9B3.jpg

ok, that's not fair. I don't live where I took this photo (Railey beach)

But with closer examination..

k4ROfz6.jpg

me and my daughter both agree..we'd rather deal with the Bangkok heat.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Both places are very hot in the summer, but in all honest the heat doesn't bother me. I will take wicked hot summers all day and beautiful the rest of the 8-9 months over 6-8 months of shit weather in the NE :)

As long as you stay properly hydrated and wear your sunscreen all is well in either place IMO.

Did you once live in Scottsdale?

We have vacationed in Scottsdale and been there many times. In fact, a few years ago we had a rental there for a month in February. February in Scottsdale is absolutely beautiful.

I would definitely live in Scottsdale for February and possibly March. Outside of that, the Florida gulf coast all the way down to the Florida Keys is the closest thing I have come to replicating Hawaii without being on Hawaii.

Make enough money that you can be wherever you want whenever you want.

Last edited:

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
Why not? I can't think of any better motivation.

This is an open invitation and opportunity for ANYBODY.

However, if you went to the Fastlane Summit (or have met some of us) you'll be around serious ACTION TAKERS.

If you're an action faker, you won't fit in.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
This is a very common misconception, @Vigilante has spoken on it many times. Moving there does not gain you a network, it just happens to be a higher concentration of people linked on this forum. You still have to put in the work to build the relationships and trust of people. It is not a selling point or a given to moving to Scottsdale.

You are totally right. There's no club there. There actually have been forum members that have moved there expecting to get their club membership, only to discover that everyone doesn't hang out at MJ's house on Sunday nights. There are some legendary stories of relocations gone bad.

However, I have stopped doing that lately, as some of the myth or perception is being perpetuated by people that now live in Scottsdale. People might be disappointed if they move there (or anywhere) thinking their one way ticket buys them friends.

So... what ever. You can find camaraderie and Fast Lane where ever you are.

There is a concentration of wealth though in the Scottsdale area, that's for sure.

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
If only there were beaches in Arizona :(

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Doesn't Arizona have scorpions though?

Yup, I see a scorpion probably once every 3 months. Once in awhile I'll find one in the house too which is always an interesting episode, depending on who finds it.i

Last edited:

TheTruth

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Feb 13, 2012
Toronto/Scottsdale
Hey I got your pm, just getting a chance to answer you now.

So here is the thing, you are allowed to stay in the States for 6 Months (without a Visa) within 1 year (NOTE: I have been told that this has changed to 4 months now... please check on the government websites to make sure)

If you have never been stopped at the border before (and have travelled to the US before) it SHOULD be relatively easy.

When I did this, I told the customs border that I was staying for 2-3 months (just don't say 6 because it will look suspect). I was asked what I was doing (I said travelling - DO NOT MENTION BUSINESS - YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO GO INTO THE STATES AND SAY YOU WILL BE SOLICITING BUSINESS)

They asked me what I do, I said "I have a video marketing agency which I can run as long as I have internet allowing me freedom to travel" I already had clients and products making me money before I went into the states. (SO everything I told them was true and I did not plan on breaking those rules)

I was allowed in.

I came back after 5 months and 28 days (I did not risk overstaying 6 months - MAKE SURE YOU DO THIS).

I recommend you go down and feel it out, see how you like it and go from there (1 step at a time).

After my stint I went back, tried for a visa etc. (TRUST me it was a headache and 3 halves. I got in border trouble etc etc.) - Granted I was part of a startup that went really south, really quick after a few things came to light. So my situation is peculiar, but it's still not a walk in the park to get a visa.

I would NOT do it without a lawyer. It will cost you roughly $3000 (I know because I paid one to draft my papers). I never ended up using them though.

In short, go down, not on business, feel it out and go from there :)

QUOTE="Vladb, post: 452103, member: 21371"]Anyone planning on going in a month or two? I'm looking to move up my timeline and move down in June. Would be good to find someone to split costs. Give me a shout if you're looking for the same!

Also, anyone from Canada that can advise on the move and how to explain it to immigration? I want to avoid any trouble that may cut my stay short, and I hear it may be a real issue if one's not careful. Any info on this would be very appreciated.[/QUOTE]

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
:D I was just wondering whether it was true 'running' (whatever that means) and geezer "jogging."

/geezer

And BTWL - 104F there right now!:eek:

I run 50 miles a week. Some of it is on the track at a 6 minute/mile pace. Yesterday, I ran in the middle of the afternoon, 104 or so, at an 8 minute/mile average pace. That was after a softball tournament weekend!

I'm just a few months back into the groove after a multiple year injury layoff. Will be faster soon! Watch out "Fastlane"!!!

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
I've actually been thinking of moving to Arizona. Wish I could right now but I'll have to make it happen soon. At this point I just want to escape California (bay area) all together.

@JasonR since you know California, how vast is the difference? Socially and economically
I moved here from San Diego. The heat was my biggest concern. I lived less than a quarter mile from the beach where it stayed cool all summer. It turns out that the heat is the only drawback that I found.

It is much easier to do things socially here. We have a lot of friends and meetup constantly at different locations in Scottsdale or Tempe. The traffic is not comparable at all. There was no way that I would head out early on a Friday evening to meet friends and deal with the mess when I was in San Diego. Many of the popular places would have lines and large crowds. There is still some of that here but it is easier to work around.

Baseball game? Downtown San Diego is a crowded place. It is hard to get in to park. The stadium here has parking all around it and you can exit in any direction.

Economically, I don't notice a difference. This city is much newer and cleaner. I am sure that you can make more money in CA but it costs more to live there.

I love softball and have many choices of where to play. We play at four different venues that are all within 20 minutes of our house. We love golf as well. I have three golf courses surrounding me. The two that we play the most are 2 minutes from our house. The third is 5 minutes. It is unreal! The price to play is considerably less than CA and the pace of play is much faster. They don't pack the course as densely.

I have a great running club that is incredibly competitive. We all seem to manage running in the heat. In fact, I would say that I am completely used to the heat now.

Eskil

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jul 18, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
Plus there are outdoor misters located at outdoor malls, restaurants, etc. We ate lunch outside once when it was about 110. The misters cooled it down to about 85. Very pleasant.

Yes indeed!
Arizona gets a lot of undeserved bad rep and jokes about being 'too f'in hot' and how 110+ is supposedly 'hell on earth'. But the reality is that those comments are mostly from naysayers who haven't actually tried living here. It honestly is not by far as bad as people make it out to sound like. We've had guests who came from Florida, and stayed with us for several days during the 110's. They said it felt soo good, and like a relief coming here, as it was 83 and humid as f*ck where they just flew in from.

And temperature/heat aside for a moment... We have frikkin' CONSTANT blue skies and sunshine here. :) Literally, every day is stunning. The birds are chirping everywhere, the sun is shining on your day. Pretty much every day of the year. Do you think that would affect how much more motivated and energized you would feel to also bring your business forward? You bet it does! :)

Eskil

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jul 18, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ

Eskil

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jul 18, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
The weather here still makes me happy every day that I moved my family here. Summer or winter - we LOVE it.

100+ F dry will always beat 85+ F humid.
Besides, above 105 or so you really don't feel a difference anyway between 110, 120 or anything between. It's all just "hot" and gives the media something to cry 'the sky is falling' over, because 120 is a sensational number. Does the warm gusts feel like being inside a dryer? Sure :) But I'd rather sit inside that dryer than have all my body fluids boiled out of me by a steamer, lol...

Because it's not and will never be motherfuckin' muggy humid yucky, drench your clothes in sweat, hot. :) And that's just yet another reason to love Arizona.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Picture this: you just moved down to Scottsdale. Your coolant tank in your car explodes and you have no AC in your car. Then, the AC in your apartment short circuits and you have no AC in your apartment.

It is 120 degrees outside.

Welcome to my life.

When I first moved here and this happened at my condo complex, I would go to the movies all day and watch 2-3 movies and come back at night.

Jamie T

>>
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
390%
Oct 26, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
By the way, have you made it to Scottsdale yet? What's it like so far?
Yes. I left exactly five weeks after I posted that earlier post.

I've only been here since Tuesday night, but so far it's awesome! I've been scoping out different areas to determine exactly where I want to live.

The atmosphere is great.

I appreciate the mountain views:

mountainview.jpg

I'm tired of being stuck here in Anchorage
I completely understand the feeling. I spent most of my life in Upstate New York where we typically got 120+ inches of snow fall each year. And, the area is ranked #4 in the US for cloudiness. Moving toward the sun is a great way to go.

I spent the last few years in Florida and enjoyed my time there, but Arizona was calling me so I made the move.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Minnesota boy here...

I randomly applied for a job in Phoenix a couple weeks back, and now they actually seem pretty interested in me. I'm getting cold feet. Would be so difficult leaving all my family and friends. Meeting new people is not my forte
What do you think is scarier

A.) Trying something new, having a change of scenery with stable income and taking to a few new people

B.) Living the rest of your life wondering "What if", "I wonder what it would have been like", and "if I had the chance again..."

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
"The best way to choose yourself is to build a community of other people choosing themselves." - James Altucher from his blog post today

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Been a really mild year, middle of June and this is the first day of the year where it truly feels HOT. But like Allen says, Ill take it over 90 degrees, humidity, and mosquitos, any day.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
May, June, July, August, September, and October.

I've been here nearly 20 years and I don't feel 6 months of the year is crap. May was beautiful. 1/2 June was the same. October is great too. September and the back end of August is "interesting" because of the monsoons. In my experience, that leaves one month, maybe two at most, of HELL. Break up that month with a few weekend trips, or a week here and there in the high country, a jump in the pool, and bam, the heat is neutralized. You can't neutralize 6 months of 6 feet of snow and sub-freezing temperatures unless you board a plane, of course, in a well-planned masterminded event.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
Been a really mild year, middle of June and this is the first day of the year where it truly feels HOT.

...on the bright side of things, it'll cool down to 108 in the middle of next week.

weather.PNG

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Humidity is what makes the difference. It's so dry here, that 110 here will feel BETTER than 85 other places where it's real humid. Where I grew up in Norway, summers could get hot and humid (clothes would stick to your body when you went outside, yuck) but it never really got above 80-85. I rather have 115 any day :) Besides, like what SteveO said.. If it's too hot for you? Well go inside and chill in the A/C or hop in a pool :)

lol

that's all I have to say.

601185_406621282724216_1483219682_n.jpg

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I'm undecided..

clearwater-beach.jpg

Hmm...

ArizonaDesert.jpg

Seriously though, I'd live in Arizona. It's a great place. I just might head that way.

In case anyone is wondering :

#1 is a picture of Clearwater beach and the Pier60, which we visit weekly just to hang out, fish a little, swim a little and buy from the local artisans.

#2 is a picture of @MJ DeMarco's back yard.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%