• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

NOTABLE! So you want to flip used items and make cash? Cool!

Discussion in 'Hustles, Freelancing, Bootstrapping' started by Sander, Jan 30, 2018.

1. JFernandez

JFernandez New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $51
    Thanks for sharing these awesome tips, Mr. OP, Appleseed and Omega.

I've been working on this myself, armed with a modest budget and living in nyc, I thought I would have the best chance at succeeding... One week later and bust. I either have no eyes for deals (yet!) or focusing on the wrong items. Again thanks for sharing.

Sander and lowtek like this.
  2. miraman

miraman New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $92
    What I have noticed about this is that, the sellers from aliExpress are also selling on Ebay with the same low prices, so not sure how to make a profit like this.

3. bilkar1985

bilkar1985 Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $267
    Is it ok to post it on fb marketplace even if the real seller from craigslist has posted it in fb marketplace too?

I know it may sound silly, but one may not want to sell it to you if you find quicker a buyer for his product.

4. minivanman

minivanman Gold Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $8,417
    Do you mean.... you see it on Market Place so you try to sell it without buying it first? Then you sell it and if the original seller sees that you are selling his/her product they won't sell it to you?

5. bilkar1985

Rep Bank:
    $267
    Yes, it was listed on CL, I went to post it on FB and it was posted there too. Will it be a problem if I post it too on FB and the other guy sees it?

I know it kind of sounds like a dumm question and thinks like that don't matter as long as you make $$.
    You might have posted it in the same marketplace, but different or find a quickier way to sell it, the guy will take the money anyway for the sale of his item and you will get a difference.

6. miraman

miraman New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $92
    Problem I see is if someone bites on your ad and then you go to buy it from the original guy and he already sold it, or worse, you buy it and then the guy that wanted from you changes his mind and doesnt want it. Then you're stuck with it and have to sell it. I don't like this method, seems too tricky.

JohnnyAppleseed likes this.
  7. JohnnyAppleseed

JohnnyAppleseed Goyim Gone Wild Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,772
    It has to be something that enough people want so that you can get multiple offers in case of a situation like that. But yeah that has happened to me before and I had to resort to ebay. Admittedly I haven't used craigslist the last couple of months partially because of constant lowballs, flakes, and dealing with people who will spend half an hour negotiating with you over a $5 difference.

Also my stable job is funding my current venture and there's just not enough time in the day for flipping.

bilkar1985 likes this.
  8. minivanman

minivanman Gold Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $8,417
    If this is your type of thing, go to a few antique stores to find some things, and put them on the internet. You gotta check back atleast every other day to make sure the items have not sold at the antique stores. IF you choose to sell like this, I'd do it this way and not from 1 ad on Market Place to another. Then if you sell the item, go to the antique store and try to get some type of discount so you end up making even more money. But it kinda seems like a hassle I wouldn't like personally. And by all means.... don't make $10-$15 profit. Choose items that's going to make you $100-$300 profit.

Kingmaker and Sander like this.
  9. bilkar1985

Rep Bank:
    $267
    and will the antique store let you make pictures of the items just like that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. LittleWolfie

LittleWolfie Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $475
    You could always use one of those smartphone watches with in built cameras.

Just try not to have a conversation through it unless you want to look like a madman.

Kingmaker and bilkar1985 like this.
  11. daivey

daivey Bronze Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,723
    Here's the thing with the "flip" and "hustle" that you see a lot of this online.

Can you do it? Yes
    But you will need to invest a lot of time in it, learning a few niches/products, inside and out, so that you know what to look for.

In larger city centers and urban areas, where the population is "smarter", university educated, and have professional jobs, it becomes more difficult to flip the smaller gadgets/gizmos, because people are not dumb. That is, you're not going to get an iphone for $50 and sell it for $400. It's almost impossible to do that in a large city.. Unless you buy it from a grandma that doesn't know what she has and trying to get rid of it.

the other issue with that is that there are thousands of people doing the same thing - specially in a big city. Again, people are not dumb.

The price abritage is being wittled away because lots of people are doing this same "hustle".

Even "low balling" people, will likely results in a lot of no answers. You might snag a few "yes" to desperate people, or might be able to open the door to negotiate, but it's rather difficult.

I'm not "whining" and saying it's not impossible. What I am saying is that POPULAR, COMMON items, that easy to flip and take no effort, likely have their margins reduced because of how easy/common the information is.
    So this is where you need to use knowledge and elbow grease/sweat equity to make any profit. And it will be hard.

is it worth it? in my opinion, in large cities, in 2018, the craiglist hustle is pretty much gone. The time you will need to spend to make it worth your while- you may as well do the best u can at your current job.

LittleWolfie and JohnnyAppleseed like this.
  12. LittleWolfie

LittleWolfie Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $475
    Also craigslist has hardly any traction and Facebook is not as popular as whatsapp, so I'm trying the same approach using other sites.