The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

So many ideas, but not in love with any of them

Idea threads

NickT41

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Dec 4, 2013
So, I've got a gazillion ideas of businesses such as ecommerce, apps, websites, etc., but I'm not in love with any of them. I always record my ideas on Evernote so I have a list that very long. I always find myself torn on which to focus on and which to pursue, and it usually leads in nothing getting done. The little free time I have usually gets wasted thinking about things, researching, or reading instead of doing!

The one thing that keeps me busy and makes me feel productive in the meantime is my blog, yet it doesn't generate revenue and doesn't get many viewers.

What do you guys do in these situations? Just pick one and roll with it? Several jobs at once? Wait for the great idea to come along? It's driving me nuts!!!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida
Try pushing each idea a little further. That should weed out most.

Take the best one and go.

Remember, you have a lot of failing to go :)

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
As Gary Halbert said, you don't have to get it right, you just have to get it moving. Pick one idea (choose at random if you're not sure which one to choose) and validate it. If it's working, go through with it.

mentalic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Nov 26, 2012
Talk to people about your ideas and receive feedback. You have to 'fall in love' with your idea otherwise you won't have the motiviation and patience to execute it to the end.

Oven

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Oct 31, 2013
You're never going to find a perfect idea, every idea will always have some sort of a downside but if you don't try it you'll never know what could have been. You don't want to spend your whole life waiting for the perfect idea.

McCoyH

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jul 28, 2013
Iowa
Stop wasting time at your day job and start trying these ideas until one works... OR ... delete the list, stay at your job and retire when youre 70 flat broke... you cant do both.

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013
I have been waiting for a long time for that "big idea" and here's what I have to say: IT DOES NOT EXIST. It is a mind-fart.
You just have to pick one and test it or push it a little further. You don't have to love what you do, but you have to do something in order to validate the love or hate for it.

If you're still not satisfied with the above, do a good thing and share your list with me, maybe I will pick one of your ideas after I'm done with my current project ;)

cautiouscapy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Dec 30, 2012
UK
Do pick one - I like Get Right's thought of pushing each one a little further first.

I picked an e-tailing idea that I thought would work - it is, though not Fastlane or very scalable. (But I also have a couple of exit strategies planned!)

I means I am forced to learn Webshop packages, tighten up my financial record keeping, manage my time, learn to source items from obscure suppliers...do SOMETHING, you will learn.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
It doesn't matter what you like. It matters what the market likes. You'll love any idea that is making you money - so start building minimum products and testing them against their respective markets.

Absolutely. Take one of the ideas to market. Commit to it until you get echoes from the market.

Once you grab a few sales, start making money, and start getting market feedback, your idea on "what you love" will change. I could sell dog shit and love it, IF the market was telling me "This is good, we want it."

Successful entrepreneurs (not "do what you lovers") love providing value -- sadly, many don't get to realize it because they aren't engaged in the process long enough to grab sales and find out. Validation, or sales, changes everything. Until then, its really hard to fall in love with any idea because ultimately, you need a hug and a pat on the back, which only comes from sales.

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013
Absolutely. Take one of the ideas to market. Commit to it until you get echoes from the market.
Once you grab a few sales, start making money, and start getting market feedback, your idea on "what you love" will change. I could sell dog shit and love it, IF the market was telling me "This is good, we want it."
Successful entrepreneurs (not "do what you lovers") love providing value -- sadly, many don't get to realize it because they aren't engaged in the process long enough to grab sales and find out. Validation, or sales, changes everything. Until then, its really hard to fall in love with any idea because ultimately, you need a hug and a pat on the back, which only comes from sales.
Gold.

AlexanderV

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
341%
Dec 3, 2013
Ontario
I was in your position a few months ago, having tons of "ideas".

But what do you actually consider a good idea?
Do they solve a burning need?
Have you assessed them using the N.E.C.S.T system described in the book?

Focus on one and take it as far as possible, you won't regret it.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia

Bump!
@MJ DeMarco, why in the hell you didn't present the argument of 'do what you love' in this manner in UNSCRIPTED ?
This thread is savage af.

NickT41

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Dec 4, 2013
Bump!
@MJ DeMarco, why in the hell you didn't present the argument of 'do what you love' in this manner in UNSCRIPTED ?

While MJ left out the reference to selling bags of shit, I thought he presented this argument fairly clearly in unscripted :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 3, 2014
DMV

Amen
Bump!
He definitely did...

OK, maybe not the specific references to bags of shit, lmao

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
No I just listened to that section yesterday, there's definitely a reference to him selling bags of shit haha

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
No I just listened to that section yesterday, there's definitely a reference to him selling bags of shit haha
As far as I can remember, MJ talked more on the success survivor bias...comparing the likeliness of winners (especially in American Idol and Steve Jobs) to be interviewed, wined and dined for their gold nuggets of success advice, with the losers who didn't get it, and who aren't interviewed as to whether doing what you love is the clincher.

But literally, selling bags of shit can be Fastlane. Now to think of it...there aren't many high-end organic fertiliser providers in my country, are they?:rofl::rofl::rofl: :shit:

paddaiwan

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jul 31, 2019
Germany

Absolutely right. I think as soon as the market tells you that your product / service is needed you don't care if you love the things you sell. Its enough motivation when you see the sales and get positive feedback from customers. This will get you out of the bed every single morning even on a Sunday, believe me :)

Danny Sullivan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Jul 2, 2018
Germany
What might help in the meantime, is to carefully watch (be in tune) with situations where your ideas (if followed through) would be of help to someone / for something.

I do have one of these lists too and everytime i recognize that something on it would be of good use for another beeing it get's a mark.

NMdad

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Aug 6, 2017
New Mexico
2 things you might consider:

Create a simple spreadsheet list of your ideas, with columns were you can quickly rate each idea on CENTS criteria, and maybe speed/ease to implement, realistic 12-month payoff, etc. It'll help more easily see which ideas you can ignore.

Consider your "adjacent possible" (see more here: The key lessons from “Where Good Ideas Come From” by Steven Johnson).

For example, if someone had the idea for YouTube in 1950, there'd have been a near-zero chance of it succeeding, since there weren't yet all the things in place necessary for YouTube to take off (internet, ease of personal video recording & uploading, etc.). But in 2005, those things were in place, so YouTube had a much higher chance of succeeding.

Likewise, if you're a dishwasher at a restaurant who likes to tinker, you might have an idea for making the next spacesuit. But it's highly unlikely you have the technical skills or expertise (yet) to make a next-gen spacesuit a reality. But, creating a better mechanical/automated dishwasher is more within your reach.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.