The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Small Country, Fastlane Business

PersistentlyHungry

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Mar 25, 2017
Israel
Hello fellow hustlers!

At the moment, I live in a small country, which naturally limits market sizes in most niches.
I have a few business ideas and I'm in the process of choosing which one to execute.
My options:
1. 1st idea: Build a small online business in my small country, where I know the market, but its size is limited - which would prevent scaling.
2. 2nd idea: Build a global online business which would require more investment upfront (due to the project's size) - where I know less about the market, as I mostly test it from the outside.

Any insights into the matter from more experienced entrepreneurs?
Has anyone executed in a small space? Has anyone built something without knowing the market firsthand, just by studying it (and connecting with potential customers) via the internet?

Thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

PersistentlyHungry

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Mar 25, 2017
Israel
What experience do you have now?

I'm experienced with software development, not I'm not limiting myself to working with it.

How many have you sold?

Quit the analysis and get to selling.

Start.

Now.

Well, how do you know that what you aim to sell, will have clients? Shouldn't you at least studying the market a little bit before?

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
You are asking how to kick the gamewinning goal in a major soccer match when you have never touched a ball before.

I am suggesting you get out and kick the ball around to get some experience.

A question on how to do step 147 should not prevent you from starting step 1.

PersistentlyHungry

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Mar 25, 2017
Israel
You are asking how to kick the gamewinning goal in a major soccer match when you have never touched a ball before.

I am suggesting you get out and kick the ball around to get some experience.

A question on how to do step 147 should not prevent you from starting step 1.

Interesting take.
So you basically suggest that I'll start offering a service (any service), and correct my errors as I go?

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
Interesting take.
So you basically suggest that I'll start offering a service (any service), and correct my errors as I go?

Pretty much. You've given us almost nothing to work with. So, we have to assume that you don't really have any experience. Given that, just go and try anything small. You'll likely fail but it won't kill you.

PersistentlyHungry

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Mar 25, 2017
Israel
Pretty much. You've given us almost nothing to work with. So, we have to assume that you don't really have any experience. Given that, just go and try anything small. You'll likely fail but it won't kill you.

I understand, appreciate your insight.

Don't do nothing.

Thanks for the motivation :smuggy:

Software development (SAAS) is a big potential fastlane. Part of my fastlane plan is to move toward SAAS once I get more fluent with online webpage development.

One of my ideas is a SaaS application in nature - I agree that it has much potential in terms of offering continuous service, and an ability to scale out.

Iammelissamoore

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Sep 23, 2014
Trinidad and Tobago
One thing we will never know is the market, at least not without getting our feet wet. Living in a small country is no longer a reason not to connect with the global community, simply because we officially are globally connected in one way or the other.

If you are looking at Fastlaning, then, questioning the Commandment of Scale (where option 1 is concerned) will indeed provide your outcome, without you wetting your feet. Studying your market, while it may allow you to overstand your general demographic, won't exactly lend to the longevity of your business; trends change regularly and that can alter the requirements of your market, what you ought to do is keep abreast with them when providing your product/service, so you'll always be in sync with their desires and you'd be able to continuously be of great service to them - after all, they are the reason you're going into business.

PersistentlyHungry

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Mar 25, 2017
Israel
One thing we will never know is the market, at least not without getting our feet wet. Living in a small country is no longer a reason not to connect with the global community, simply because we officially are globally connected in one way or the other.

If you are looking at Fastlaning, then, questioning the Commandment of Scale (where option 1 is concerned) will indeed provide your outcome, without you wetting your feet. Studying your market, while it may allow you to overstand your general demographic, won't exactly lend to the longevity of your business; trends change regularly and that can alter the requirements of your market, what you ought to do is keep abreast with them when providing your product/service, so you'll always be in sync with their desires and you'd be able to continuously be of great service to them - after all, they are the reason you're going into business.

That's what I'm finally realizing - Thanks for being clear about it.
Starting to get my feet wet today.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
Hello fellow hustlers!

At the moment, I live in a small country, which naturally limits market sizes in most niches.
I have a few business ideas and I'm in the process of choosing which one to execute.
My options:
1. 1st idea: Build a small online business in my small country, where I know the market, but its size is limited - which would prevent scaling.
2. 2nd idea: Build a global online business which would require more investment upfront (due to the project's size) - where I know less about the market, as I mostly test it from the outside.

Any insights into the matter from more experienced entrepreneurs?
Has anyone executed in a small space? Has anyone built something without knowing the market firsthand, just by studying it (and connecting with potential customers) via the internet?

Thanks!
I have two Israelis (maybe more) operating online businesses selling physical products through Amazon USA, using Fulfillment By Amazon Amazon (FBA.)

One is a Fastlane member and the other is not. I might have more, but I know about these two because they have asked for my help from time to time.

By selling on Amazon USA they have overcome the problem of small market size. They never see or handle the products they sell, except for the samples when starting off.

If something of this kind is attractive to you, I suggest you have a look at my thread:
GOLD Sharing my lifetime experience in export/import. Product

Best wishes,
Walter

PersistentlyHungry

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Mar 25, 2017
Israel
I have two Israelis (maybe more) operating online businesses selling physical products through Amazon USA, using Fulfillment By Amazon Amazon (FBA.)

One is a Fastlane member and the other is not. I might have more, but I know about these two because they have asked for my help from time to time.

By selling on Amazon USA they have overcome the problem of small market size. They never see or handle the products they sell, except for the samples when starting off.

If something of this kind is attractive to you, I suggest you have a look at my thread:
GOLD Sharing my lifetime experience in export/import. Product

Best wishes,
Walter

Wow, thanks Walter! Looking into it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content