The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Should I trust this guy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Jesus, not looking for this high school shit man. Just a guy trying to figure out a situation i havent been in, and looking for a break. I don't get this shit on forums. People act like this space is F*cking sacred, its just an internet post, one of a billion on this large forum. And i guarantee it will be valuable to a similar situation someone is in, at some point. What is so damn sacred? Fed up with these people who just love to talk down to people.

You asked bro, don't get mad that the answer you got isn't what you wanted. You didn't pay for it. We're giving you our honest opinion, and various forum members believe that it's a stupid question to ask.

He wants your ID, and you're concerned about it. Why would he need it?

If you have to ask, step away. If you smell shit, it might be shit. Probably is. That's just it. We can't tell if a specific person is or isn't a scammer with certainty.

He might very well be trying to help you achieve your goal of making millions...

...but probably not.

He might be an identity thief, but I'm not even worried about that. You're ready to hand the dude money and time, and you're concerned about your ID?

As a general rule though, I don't give any of my 'numbers' out to strangers on the Internet. Except my phone number, cuz I'm lonely.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
You asked bro, don't get mad that the answer you got isn't what you wanted. You didn't pay for it. We're giving you our honest opinion, and various forum members believe that it's a stupid question to ask.

If you have to ask, step away. If you smell shit, it might be shit. Probably is. That's just it. We can't tell if a specific person is or isn't a scammer with certainty.

He might very well be trying to help you achieve your goal of making millions...

...but probably not.

He might be an identity thief, but I'm not even worried about that. You're ready to hand the dude money and time, and you're concerned about your ID?

As a general rule though, I don't give any of my 'numbers' out to strangers on the Internet. Except my phone number, cuz I'm lonely.

Can I have your phone number?

IrishSpring600

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 24, 2013
Dont really care if youre a celeb around here. Man i hate forum dudes like you. Feel better?

The question was specific, regarding whether releasing my ID is a justified concern. Seeing as how this is a forum, where, in theory, there's alot of business experience...i thought i'd get some thoughts. Not gonna justify myself to you.
With an abundance mentality, you would tell that dude to fly to you and then you can move on to the next step.

Levitate Robotic

New Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
My advice if he wants your I'd get his ID, and everything in writing. If he screws you over atleast you have his info. Not much else we can suggest. The risk or lack thereof is strictly on you.
yeah i dig that. i mean im wondering if this along the lines of a common scam others might have experience with. i suppose that my main motivation for posting

Levitate Robotic

New Contributor
Jul 28, 2016

...but probably not.

Im not giving the guy money. the opposite.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
If he just wants to give you money he doesn't need anything except a Paypal e-mail address. Moneygram? Wire? What?

Deals in your local area? I'm assuming you're not talking about 5 figures plus money transfer here.

Nothing adds up here, like, at ALL. Driver's license copy? Why?

Sounds like we've got ourselves a Nigerian prince on our hands. No, that's not sarcasm.

I would run, fast and far.

Levitate Robotic

New Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
If he just wants to give you money he doesn't need anything except a Paypal e-mail address. Moneygram? Wire? What?

Deals in your local area? I'm assuming you're not talking about 5 figures plus money transfer here.

Sounds like we've got ourselves a Nigerian prince on our hands. No, that's not sarcasm.

gonna pm you i need to explain somehing. Gonna pm vig too.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
gonna pm you i need to explain somehing. Gonna pm vig too.
You can pm me but not him, iirc his are off. Might not get back to u till the morning tho

Keep in mind that im no expert and can only give really general advice

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Levitate Robotic

New Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
You can pm me but not him, iirc his are off. Might not get back to u till the morning tho

How do you, i can never figure it out on this forum!

Levitate Robotic

New Contributor
Jul 28, 2016

thats fine, there is just relevant info to this story that id rather not share publicly

BlakeIC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 9, 2014
Not Washington
thats fine, there is just relevant info to this story that id rather not share publicly
Although I disagree with your attitude towards vig, i will spare a few words/questions

When you say legal work what do you mean?

Is he sending you the money he makes from these deals then you split it with him 50/50?

At what point do you receive any money from him? And how much on average do you think?

Also can you elaborate on what you mean by "then he mentioned he bankrolls people (fronts the money) for deals their local area"

edit: Has he shown any actual proof of having a dealers license?

Don't do it

1) Open a dealers license under you
or
He doesnt have a dealers license and is going to use you for bill of sales

2) If he is facilitating any money through you, he could be laundering or evading taxes

I don't recall where, but a man had let his online "friend" send payments to his paypal. This "friend" was flipping items (same in your case). In this case he was flipping high end shoes. About a year or so later this guy received information stating that he owed over $70,000 in taxes all taxes from the money sent through his paypal by his "friend". Of course this guy could not do anything to go after him so he had to foot the $70,000 tax bill

Last edited:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

Belcher

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Feb 24, 2016
Australia
I think you need to cool your jets, take a step back and reread the advice that was given to you.

Vig is a legendary contributor for good reason. For all you know he may have similar experiences with trusting others, and getting burnt.
At the end of the day, he took the time to try and offer you advice, all while giving a bit of tough love.

What more could you actually want?

I think a little common sense should come in to play also, no offense.
Do you actually have ANY legitimate reason to trust a random with such valuable information?

I wouldn't.

Even if they were sending me cash, i'd question that too.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Feel like I should post since I wasted time reading to this point.....

How do you do a business deal without having each others information?

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
You and your potential partner should get something drawn up by an attorney.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
You're getting a form of a loan. If I was loaning money to someone, I would want a contract, full identity information and I would do a background check.

Now, should you trust this guy?

With the information that you have provided, no one here knows.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
for the OP:

from your questions, you're in a spot where you don't know what you don't know about business yet. I do think you're right to trust your gut, but the fact that you're asking this question means you don't have the experience to do this kind of deal. There's all sorts of things that could go wrong.

Given that, I think you should either raise money yourself by taking on another job (strongly recommend this option), or find someone that you know that is willing to lend you money...start small, maybe $500 +/- and build from there.

timmy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Jul 29, 2013
Ireland
You are been sought for "something" ...

Offering advice to you would be futile. People here on TFF create their own futures. You must decide whether you want someone else to create "your" future.........Good luck with that dream.

Did you ever stop and think of the amount of time that members here "freely" give to respond to your question.

Lets just take 40 random direct posts from members . We all have to read the thread in it entirety, to tease out , add to, object to, or simply to avoid repetition. We had to articulate a response using our unique experience. I estimate people here on the forum have invested 400 minutes = 6.6 hrs on your thread. When you get a "condescending reply" it's because you are attracting such a reply. There are probably another 6.6 hrs invested from members that just couldn't be bothered to reply.

So there we have 13 hrs of productive time that you have hijacked from this community. Some members here earn in excess of $1000 / hour. Lets take a low average of $100/hour ..Your mentor Bill would be $1300 Sir. You got it for free but still managed to squander it.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

Offering advice to you would be futile. People here on TFF create their own futures. You must decide whether you want someone else to create "your" future.........Good luck with that dream.

Did you ever stop and think of the amount of time that members here "freely" give to respond to your question.

Lets just take 40 random direct posts from members . We all have to read the thread in it entirety, to tease out , add to, object to, or simply to avoid repetition. We had to articulate a response using our unique experience. I estimate people here on the forum have invested 400 minutes = 6.6 hrs on your thread. When you get a "condescending reply" it's because you are attracting such a reply. There are probably another 6.6 hrs invested from members that just couldn't be bothered to reply.

So there we have 13 hrs of productive time that you have hijacked from this community. Some members here earn in excess of $1000 / hour. Lets take a low average of $100/hour ..Your mentor Bill would be $1300 Sir. You got it for free but still managed to squander it.

Rep+

Remind me I owe you one next time you need anything.

Excellent perspective.

This is why we don't automatically dump posts to [HASHTAG]#landfill[/HASHTAG]

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
Is what you're suggesting, essentially riding someone else's dealer credentials as an affiliate, and probably across state lines, actually legal?

Levitate Robotic

New Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
You and your potential partner should get something drawn up by an attorney.
Ok. Here's some advice.

1. One screen name per poster

2. Don't do business with banned posters but ask for our help

Is that kind enough?

Vig,

I honestly have no hostility, just when someone implies that I'm stupid I find that hard to ignore. For the record, i'm just gonna drop it, i didn't come here to get in a flame war. I'm just getting a tad desperate, and thought i found a cool lead on a money making situation.

But I honestly don't have the experience in this sort of thing to determine whether my instincts are correct, whether i'm just being timid, or whether i'm totally justified in feeling the alarm bells go off.

Bottom line, I just don't get why it's necessary to call my question stupid. Is it really that absurd? I'm not asking for permission to go through with it, but I just wanted some input from more experienced people...which is what a forum like this is about isn't it?

No hostility on my end, but that's where i'm coming from. Thats all i'm gonna say

Levitate Robotic

New Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Although I disagree with your attitude towards vig, i will spare a few words/questions

When you say legal work what do you mean?

Is he sending you the money he makes from these deals then you split it with him 50/50?

At what point do you receive any money from him? And how much on average do you think?

Also can you elaborate on what you mean by "then he mentioned he bankrolls people (fronts the money) for deals their local area"

Don't do it

1) Open a dealers license under you
or
He doesnt have a dealers license and is going to use you for bill of sales

2) If he is facilitating any money through you, he could be laundering or evading taxes

I don't recall where, but a man had let his online "friend" send payments to his paypal. This "friend" was flipping items (same in your case). In this case he was flipping high end shoes. About a year or so later this guy received information stating that he owed over $70,000 in taxes all taxes from the money sent through his paypal by his "friend". Of course this guy could not do anything to go after him so he had to foot the $70,000 tax bill

Thanks for your input. I dunno I was just trying to have a mellow discussion about this thing i stumbled on..it just amazes me how forums get people really get F*cking uptight and judgemental. Everybody is tough behind a screen i guess.

To answer you.

"When you say legal work what do you mean?"

Not sure what I said that you're referring to here.

"Is he sending you the money he makes from these deals then you split it with him 50/50?"

No. I find the deals in my area, and he would wire me the money to make the sale. Then when i sell it, I wire him the original investment + %50 profit. So its 50/50. It was an compelling offer. He claims to have made a shit ton of money doing it, and a very prominent Fastlane member originally linked to a thread on a different website.... where this guy detailed his whole method. It is a very detailed 20 page thread, it would almost be joker-level criminal mastermind to manufacture the amount of details on that thread. So i'm inclined to believe his abilities. I'll make clear that I don't in any way hold anyone from this forum responsible for anything I do. I just went out of my way to contact the guy.

"At what point do you receive any money from him? And how much on average do you think?"

I would just receive the money necessary to buy the item. On average hard to say, but you stand to make about anywhere from 500-3k total on a given deal, split 50/50. I'd happily make 1k for 2 hours work. So naturally, i'm trying to be as cautious as possible as i feel out the legitimacy of the whole thing.

He claims that he does this with several people. To my ears, it sounds like he has found a way to scale a craigslist hustle. Several people all over hell and back. He fronts some money, makes an easy return for really no work. The other party gets funding, some insight into good deals (as the guy usually confirm the really good deals). I have no problem being part of his hustle, even if I could do it myself...which i haven't ruled out at all. I haven't made any choice, and honestly i can barely get ahold of him, which is another red flag. Then again, if he is that busy..its understandable.

No. This is the sort of thing I find useful, because I admittedly know jack shit about verifying anything of this nature.

Levitate Robotic

New Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
for the OP:

from your questions, you're in a spot where you don't know what you don't know about business yet. I do think you're right to trust your gut, but the fact that you're asking this question means you don't have the experience to do this kind of deal. There's all sorts of things that could go wrong.

Given that, I think you should either raise money yourself by taking on another job (strongly recommend this option), or find someone that you know that is willing to lend you money...start small, maybe $500 +/- and build from there.

Jon, thanks for your input.

I am definitely considering that route. Part of the incentive was that he has a dealers license, and this mainly involves vehicles. so naturally i'm considering how I could do this, by either floating titles, or getting a dealers license.

I mean i'd be confident doing the deal if I could limit my risk, but i'm not sure it's possible. I hustle all the time, this would just be a more lucrative hustle, in theory.

Levitate Robotic

New Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Rep+

Remind me I owe you one next time you need anything.

Excellent perspective.

This is why we don't automatically dump posts to [HASHTAG]#landfill[/HASHTAG]

Yeah good policy. I guess this great reply was a fluke, from a mysterious vacuum in space. Couldn't be that an OP's post might, over time, develop into something informative. Where others give their input.

Levitate Robotic

New Contributor
Jul 28, 2016

Xxxxx F*cking shitball xxxxx.

So if your time is so valuable, why are you taking the time to bust out this complete horseshit arithmatic. What is wrong with you? I mean that is the lamest thing i've read in recent times. If you're serious, there is zero way to verify any of that. It looks impressive when you display it with creativity, and stupid people might take your equation at face value but, it's all veneer. You know what I wager? People sign in, see a thread, and their bored and surfing. Then they read a bit, and spend 5 minutes max posting a reply. You're an absolute retard.

"When you get a "condescending reply" it's because you are attracting such a reply."

Sure, but that does not imply that I am the catalyst for such a reply. Maybe just the excuse for the reply. There are tons of forum jockeys such as you and vig who love to preach on your mountain and show disdain to people. I've seen it a million times. It's just your way of feeling good about yourself.

In fact you're the ones clogging up this thread with your negative shit. I've seen several replies that are legitimate and explore this issue.

As far as making my own future, dude calm down. Easy boy, easy. Let me tug the reigns on you there seabiscuit. It's just a POTENTIAL way to make some quick cash. I said elsewhere I have my own business. I'm in a bind. Let me pierce through your psyche and reveal something to you. Your ego is heavily invested in the dogma of the Fastlane mindset. Fair enough, its an excellent book. But you see everything through that lens, and assume I know nothing, have no insight or experience, and no brain of my own. You have an inability to look beyond your own bias. I am none of the things you assume, and twisting this whole thing to suit your perspective will not suck me in. I'm a hard working, motivated dude, who just wanted a little bit of discussion about this...not a holy war. See ya.

Edited by Vigilante to delete profanity aimed towards religion.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Jon, thanks for your input.

I am definitely considering that route. Part of the incentive was that he has a dealers license, and this mainly involves vehicles. so naturally i'm considering how I could do this, by either floating titles, or getting a dealers license.

I mean i'd be confident doing the deal if I could limit my risk, but i'm not sure it's possible. I hustle all the time, this would just be a more lucrative hustle, in theory.
There's a thread on here somewhere where someone talks about how to start on Craigs List from basically 0, buying and selling stuff until you pile up enough cash to matter. Its a very good read. Search for it. I think it something like 'how to make $500 as a teenager' or something like that. All you need is a few hundred dollars and a car. Once you get the experience doing that, then buy a car, fix it up, and sell it. You could do a few of these without a dealer's license without anyone saying anything. Once you're ready, get your own dealer's license and go from there. Use this guy as an advisor and PAY HIM a commission on the profit of various deals (if his feedback is worth while).

You'll struggle a lot more doing this yourself, but the knowledge you'll gain is worth it in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.