The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Need an advice - Should I trust this company?

Samy Bazizi

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Aug 6, 2014
Austria
Hi,

A few months ago I posted my invention on a website called Ideabuyer.com. About 3 weeks after that, they called me and told me that they had an interest in my invention and wanted more information. I sent them a video to explain the invention better, and a day after they call me back and says that their interest is even greater and that there is a real market opportunity for this invention.

Then he told me that they have a team of engineer, designers and everything else needed to bring an invention to the market. Apparently they have brought many invention on the market already. Now I knew it sounded too good to be true, because he then asked me for 10 000$ to start the project, and eventually about 15% of the patent. Now, I have one week to make a decision.

Is it too good to be true? Should I trust them? Anybody else had past experiences like this?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SmoothFranko

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Jul 31, 2015
Australia
Remember MJ's risk calculator in TMF

1. What is the worst case outcome of this choice?
2. What is the probablity of this outcome?
3. Is this an acceptable risk?

Do you have the money to cover their cost, if not will you be able to come up with the cash within that time frame, and will doing so put you in debt you can't easily overcome?

Samy Bazizi

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Aug 6, 2014
Austria
I personnaly don't have the money. Ill have to look out for someone who will want to invest.

croman

not a humanoid(wage-slave)
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Aug 23, 2013
Steel Town Canada
Hi,

A few months ago I posted my invention on a website called Ideabuyer.com. About 3 weeks after that, they called me and told me that they had an interest in my invention and wanted more information. I sent them a video to explain the invention better, and a day after they call me back and says that their interest is even greater and that there is a real market opportunity for this invention.

Then he told me that they have a team of engineer, designers and everything else needed to bring an invention to the market. Apparently they have brought many invention on the market already. Now I knew it sounded too good to be true, because he then asked me for 10 000$ to start the project, and eventually about 15% of the patent. Now, I have one week to make a decision.

Is it too good to be true? Should I trust them? Anybody else had past experiences like this?
I got an associate who didn't know where to turn so he used inventhelp.

What a joke.

They fleeced him out of 20k that he did not have.

They told him they thought his invention was patentable, they gave him this generic general report that looked like some bullshit template they use where they plug in the information and voila!!!

They gave him this cheesy 3d model of his invention too that they charged him something like 5k if I remember correctly.

Of course they will tell you there is interest, of course they will get all excited about it....

Tell them you won't pay any monies up front and let's see how fast their excitement fades....

Personally, I don't know this company you got here, but my personal feeling is that it's no different than inventhelp.

Jokers.

Samy Bazizi

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Aug 6, 2014
Austria
I got an associate who didn't know where to turn so he used inventhelp.

What a joke.

They fleeced him out of 20k that he did not have.

They told him they thought his invention was patentable, they gave him this generic general report that looked like some bullshit template they use where they plug in the information and voila!!!

They gave him this cheesy 3d model of his invention too that they charged him something like 5k if I remember correctly.

Of course they will tell you there is interest, of course they will get all excited about it....

Tell them you won't pay any monies up front and let's see how fast their excitement fades....

Personally, I don't know this company you got here, but my personal feeling is that it's no different than inventhelp.

Jokers.
I had contact with inventhelp too. It was an immediate no for me as i had a feeling it would be something like your associate experienced. However, Ideabuyer are not proposing me the same thing. They want to make a prototype with me and their engineers and help me find licence deals. Of course it could be just a scam, but what if I miss a great opportunity?

seoflipper

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Nov 29, 2014
I had contact with inventhelp too. It was an immediate no for me as i had a feeling it would be something like your associate experienced. However, Ideabuyer are not proposing me the same thing. They want to make a prototype with me and their engineers and help me find licence deals. Of course it could be just a scam, but what if I miss a great opportunity?

An easy way to understand this is to look at this from the POV of the other party.

Now, for the sake of argument, lets assume that they had 100% good intentions (which they don't). If you were in their position and you spotted a great idea early and had the resources to take it to market...why wouldn't you pony up some cash up front to take a bigger %? How would you ever get good deals if you're not even willing to shell out your own cash?

There's a reason venture capital firms invest in entrepreneurs, not the other way around.

Now lets put that little issue aside for a moment since we're assuming for the sake of argument that they have good intentions. If you were in their position and you figured out an arrangement where you could get 10k up front AND 15% of the rights of a patent if you manage to license the invention...what is your incentive to actually invest money into really pushing to take the product to market?

The incentives are not aligned for you to invest money into actually helping the inventor, the incentives are aligned for you to close as many of these 0 downside deals as possible, make a few phone calls to fulfill your end of the bargain, then move onto the next "deal".

If you get lucky and stumble on a winner, great! If not, you can always find another inventor willing to part with 10k and 15% of their patent. Either way, there is no incentive for you to do anything to help the inventor that they couldn't do better (and cheaper) for themselves.

Now, lets assume they have 100% bad intentions. If you were in their shoes, which business model makes more sense - fleecing 10k from a never ending supply of naive inventors, or actually risking your own resources into taking random products to market? Why wouldn't you just take the risk-free payout and move onto the next victim?

So your best case scenario (very unlikely) is that they don't really see promise in your idea, its just that they make money on the "deal" either way - which is why they're offering it to you. They're not really that motivated to help you but they will make some phone calls that you could make yourself and overcharge you for a crappy prototype.

Your worst case scenario (very likely) is that their business model revolves around parting aspiring inventors like yourself from their savings.

The decision should be pretty clear.

croman

not a humanoid(wage-slave)
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Aug 23, 2013
Steel Town Canada
Take your time...forget these guys.

Read book/threads on inventions and bringing them to market.

Dont rush.

Dont throw good money around.

When you put your attention on something, it grows...

Keep on this forum, read and absorb.

Things will open up to you...

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Does anyone have a link to that bizzaro episode on Shark Tank where the entrepreneur actually gave the sharks money, instead of them giving it the entrepreneur?

Oh yea...

It doesn't exist.

Run. Away. Fast. (Before you get trapped into their business model)

shubham525

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jul 16, 2015
India
Yeah we dont pay to sharks.
Other from this everyone check out this invention.Hoverbike ,you can search it on youtube.
be8b383793d5d8731ff3f1b827973ccf.jpg

Our future [emoji6][emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Samy Bazizi

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Aug 6, 2014
Austria
Does anyone have a link to that bizzaro episode on Shark Tank where the entrepreneur actually gave the sharks money, instead of them giving it the entrepreneur?

Oh yea...

It doesn't exist.

lol alright it seems like my decision is pretty clear now... thank you for all the answers

mws87

talk less, listen more.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
May 5, 2015
California
Ideabuyer.com
That right there would be your red flag. If only it were that easy, most of us here would probably be multi-millionaires already. Remember: if it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

Equilibrium

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Jun 14, 2015
They gave him this cheesy 3d model of his invention too that they charged him something like 5k
And the template is freely available through google patent search
Inventing 101:

1) There are no short cuts from idea to profitability

2) You (YOU) have to become the, draftsmen, engineer, prototyper, salesmen and marketer to prove to yourself you have a viable market ready invention. Otherwise you will waste big $$$.

3) Never refer to your idea as your baby. Don't get emotionally involved with your idea. Stay objective.

4) Be-prepared to walk away from your idea at a no-go junction. There will be lots of decision cross roads.

5) Never hire idea submission companies.

6) Don't take advise from friends of family, they don't want to hurt your feelings.

Their website looks like a template.
its registered through godaddy (red flag, you can start a domain at 2.99/yr)
in their about me , in small print is ''Idea Buyer.com and its contents are owned by LOXO Group LLC''

oh here they are.

LOXO GROUP LLC
Corporation File #:4995914
Formation Date:01/13/2011
Corporation Type:GENERAL
Corporation Kind:LIMITED LIABILITY COMPANY (LLC)
Corporation State:DE
Residency:DOMESTIC

Corporation Registered Agent
Agent Name:AGENTS AND CORPORATIONS, INC. Registrant Name: George Rand
Address:1201 ORANGE STREET, SUITE 600 ONE COMMERCE CENTER
WILMINGTON, DE 19801
Phone:(302)575-0877

Content.
Let's look at some of their listings for inventions to bring to market.
''Fruit Sprinkle Bring the taste of fruit to every meal''
are you kidding me?!

if this is the kind of thing they are accepting.. run. fast.

oh their summary sums it all up.
''
The Summary
IdeaBuyer.com is a marketplace to license and sell patents. Since it's founding in 2007, it has become the world's largest marketplace for patents and has processed Billions of Dollars in patent sales.

They started in 2011

Last edited:

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas

Oh yea...

It doesn't exist.

I bookmarked this comment. Thank you MJ

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
Hi,

I wouldn't do it if they give you a time limit. What investor does that?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.