The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Selling my Ecommerce Business

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016
Probably the most inspirational thread in this forum!

Goes from being a teacher, to exiting an ecommerce biz for a nice payday, all while starting a new ecommerce biz.

Valuable threads like this are the reason I come here everyday!

Reading one of your comments back in December was a big part of why I joined here actually.

Thanks for all the sharing you do here man, seriously.

Congrats!

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
Probably the most inspirational thread in this forum!

Goes from being a teacher, to exiting an ecommerce biz for a nice payday, all while starting a new ecommerce biz.

Valuable threads like this are the reason I come here everyday!

Reading one of your comments back in December was a big part of why I joined here actually.

Thanks for all the sharing you do here man, seriously.

Congrats!

Thanks @MidwestLandlord!

It was threads started by others that got me to join here, and inspired me. I hope to do the same for others.

I may not be a full-time teacher anymore, but I still have the desire to teach/help others.

Striver

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Mar 23, 2017
USA
The caller from last week put in an offer, however, it turns out he doesn't have his ducks in a row, i.e. funds, and isn't capable of buying the business. (So what was the point?)

You had previously stated someone wanting to know things about your business, such as maybe how to rank a product. I can see people doing this as a way to gain knowledge on that subject. :(

And congratu-damn-lations!!!!! Read it all in one sitting, and got cold chills when you finalized the sale!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
You had previously stated someone wanting to know things about your business, such as maybe how to rank a product. I can see people doing this as a way to gain knowledge on that subject. :(

Absolutely. Pretending to be a buyer would be a great way, albeit slightly unethical way, to learn a business model. You get to see all the numbers, financials, etc. as well. However, if i'm ready to sell my business, I'm not really worried about new competition, am I?

And congratu-damn-lations!!!!! Read it all in one sitting, and got cold chills when you finalized the sale!

Thanks... it already feels like the sale took place a year ago. Been busy working on new things!

Jambla

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 2, 2015
UK
Great story. I have been selling on Amazon with limited success for a while with only ‘me too’ products. I have a delivery of 1500 units into Amazon FBA anytime now, but I am now struggling 10 units a day on this product. This product is very competitive, even more now. In my mind I knew I should have moved onto another product but I kept going because I had already invested a lot of time in this one. This is a classic mistake and is detailed in MJ’s new book.

But I have a new idea. A product that has come from being a new parent, it’s actually my wives idea. This baby product does not exist. I have no idea how I am going to make it but I am going to validate the product before working out how to. I am very excited about this product because I think people will love it. The goal will be to sell into retail and Amazon will just been another platform.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
but I am now struggling 10 units a day on this product.

I had very similar results with "me too" products.

Realistically if it's hard to differentiate your product and you aren't a top ranking search result, 10 per day is probably pretty normal in most categories on Amazon.

ejames

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Nov 5, 2015
New York
This is a great thread. I've gotten way ahead of myself and just read 'Built to Sell', which I'd recommend to anyone on this forum (although you've now experienced it all first hand).

Best of luck on this.

EDIT - Second on McCallan 25. Excellent single-malt. If you like peaty/smokey though, give Laphroaig 10 a try.
Built to sell is a great book. I actually listen to their podcast once a week.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
But I have a new idea. A product that has come from being a new parent, it’s actually my wives idea. This baby product does not exist. I have no idea how I am going to make it but I am going to validate the product before working out how to. I am very excited about this product because I think people will love it. The goal will be to sell into retail and Amazon will just been another platform.

Baby products.

Make sure whatever you come out with is fully tested to CPSC and ASTM standards, in a government approved lab, as soon as possible.

Carefully consider the liability and risk, and see if you're comfortable with a worst-case scenario.

Jambla

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 2, 2015
UK
Baby products.

Make sure whatever you come out with is fully tested to CPSC and ASTM standards, in a government approved lab, as soon as possible.

Carefully consider the liability and risk, and see if you're comfortable with a worst-case scenario.
Thanks for the heads up. Sounds good though, more barriers.

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
I had very similar results with "me too" products.

Realistically if it's hard to differentiate your product and you aren't a top ranking search result, 10 per day is probably pretty normal in most categories on Amazon.

I have products selling 1/day and totally happy with that. High price, good profit and very little competition. I sleep well at night.

Striver

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Mar 23, 2017
USA
Absolutely. Pretending to be a buyer would be a great way, albeit slightly unethical way, to learn a business model. You get to see all the numbers, financials, etc. as well. However, if i'm ready to sell my business, I'm not really worried about new competition, am I?

If you don't want potential buyers to see a sudden decline in sales/profit, then I absolutely think you should be worried. I know I would be.

This thread alone took 4 months from 1st post to "money in the bank". Now, I can't comment about Amazon, but I've went from zero to top-seller on eBay before, in just a month or two. Doing 200+ sales per day for a popular product. Surely that hurt SOMEONE'S numbers!

I just don't trust people. Sorry!

TKRR

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Nov 27, 2017
Ohio
@amp0193 Congrats on the sale and thanks for sharing, this was quite the read and very informative. Cheers!

Patrickg

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Nov 20, 2016
Congrats on the sale!

Great thread. Great motivation. Thank you for taking the time to post and inspire us all.

Out of curiosity, when did you decide to quite your job? And what was that experience like?

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
If you don't want potential buyers to see a sudden decline in sales/profit, then I absolutely think you should be worried. I know I would be.

In a few months I'd love to have seen:

A new competitor round up a couple thousand amazon reviews, cause that's the only way they would've gotten on page one.

A new competitor find which retail stores I was selling in, and then convince the store owner/buyer to switch from my brand to theirs.

The only thing a new competitor could really do, at all, in the short term, would be to make my Google shopping bids higher. Maybe. But that was only like 5% of my business. That's assuming they could a get a brand, supplier, website, thrown together in a month.

If a business is vulnerable to competition that can get up and running in a few months, then it probably isn't worth selling.

I just don't trust people. Sorry!

Good luck selling your business without revealing the details of your business or the numbers to potential buyers.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
Out of curiosity, when did you decide to quite your job? And what was that experience like?

I quit my job when it cost me more in lost profits then it was making me in salary.

The experience was I checked out for the last 4 months (I was always focused on my business), my bridges ended up all burned, and the principal asked me to resign before we even got to summer break, because it was so obvious I didn't give a shit (about staff meetings, etc.). Not proud of it. I tried to care, I didn't want to burn my bridges, but that's what I ended up doing.

A week later I flew to Europe for two months with my family and ran the business from there. It was a nice de-tox from my worst school year ever.

Striver

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Mar 23, 2017
USA
A new competitor find which retail stores I was selling in, and then convince the store owner/buyer to switch from my brand to theirs.

Well, I was talking about Amazon since... you know... they were asking questions about Amazon! lol

Seems like you're on the defensive. Don't be! You did an amazing job!

Patrickg

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Nov 20, 2016
I quit my job when it cost me more in lost profits then it was making me in salary.

The experience was I checked out for the last 4 months (I was always focused on my business), my bridges ended up all burned, and the principal asked me to resign before we even got to summer break, because it was so obvious I didn't give a shit (about staff meetings, etc.). Not proud of it. I tried to care, I didn't want to burn my bridges, but that's what I ended up doing.

A week later I flew to Europe for two months with my family and ran the business from there. It was a nice de-tox from my worst school year ever.

Great inspiration, thanks for sharing. I am currently on this journey and it's awesome to speak to someone, who is further ahead.

mikeyjd

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Dec 10, 2015
Michigan
Great read. Inspiring! I'm currently trying to position my own company for mergers and acquisitions, so this thread was quite relevant in many ways.

GravyBoat

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Nov 25, 2013
San Diego
It's amazing how all the holes in the plan start to show up once your money is gone. If I had spent 15 min doing some basic fact checking, I would've uncovered the lies. In my case, and probably yours, my judgement was clouded by optimism and wishful thinking.

Great thread man. I've also noticed this about myself: I'm the easiest person in the world to sell to. I buy into things far too quickly. Due Diligence is KEY!!!

CareCPA

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
356%
May 2, 2017
Pennsylvania
Great thread man. I've also noticed this about myself: I'm the easiest person in the world to sell to. I buy into things far too quickly. Due Diligence is KEY!!!
I'm helping a client sell a business right now. The due diligence request list is 14 pages long.
Don't be afraid to ask for everything.

Whiskey

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Dec 11, 2017
toronto
This sounds amazing to me. I started my own business a few years ago, and making a decent living, but definitely more of a job and a business. I think this post so inspirational because I want to be able to spend more time with my kids as well as experience new things with them as they grow up.

Congrats on your success and thank you for creating this post and educating others on the forum.

The experience was I checked out for the last 4 months (I was always focused on my business), my bridges ended up all burned, and the principal asked me to resign before we even got to summer break, because it was so obvious I didn't give a sh*t (about staff meetings, etc.). Not proud of it. I tried to care, I didn't want to burn my bridges, but that's what I ended up doing.

Ama

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Dec 2, 2017
California
Hi Amp,

Read through your thread congrats on making it through the process!

I am in the starting stages of deciding to sell. How did you go about finding the right person from those business brokerage websites? Do they charge a flat fee? Did you contact an attorney on your own or was the business broker also an attorney? How were you taxed on the amount?

I see @CareCPA provided a lot of support. I just read the chapter in MJ's book on selling again and it makes sense to pursue an exit now.

Thanks everyone for your participation in this forum, really feels like a family.

LittleJohn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Aug 30, 2018
Northeast USA
One more side note:

My 30th birthday is on the 16th. Also that weekend is my life-long friend's bachelor party.

It would be wonderful to go into that weekend with the ink dry on the contract and the escrow funds being transferred to my account.

We'll see if it plays out that way.

Anyone got any recommendations for a fine bottle of scotch and/or whiskey? The kind worth getting to celebrate the sale of a business, aging another decade, and seeing a best friend soon to be married?

Dude - all this before age 30? Wow impressive. Soon to be 36 and thinking where the hell have I been? Good news is my track record for doing what i set out to do is good.

Amazing man!

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
Soon to be 36 and thinking where the hell have I been?

That's what I think whenever I see the 19 year olds here killing it.

Everyone's path is different. Just be glad you found it now.

Get after it!

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
I just finished this short book. I recommend reading it before you sell. It was interesting to me at $2.99.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BN2KD1J/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20
Thanks @biophase!

Before getting this new business going I had it all planned out. Slow grow for 2 years. Push the pedal down 3 years. Sell after year 5.

But now... I love what I'm doing so much, I don't know that I even want to sell it!

Some "thought experiments" sounds interesting... I'll check it out.

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
Wow. Thank you for documenting your sale process... it is pure gold.

I must be one of those people who read a novel and say "hay, what happened to that villager who was trying to catch a fish in chapter 4?" But I have to ask. Have you figured out insurance yet?

The only question that was kind of a "gotcha" was "why don't you have insurance?".

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.