The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

GOLD! Selling my Ecommerce Business

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

OP
OP
amp0193

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
May 27, 2013
United States
I just finished this short book. I recommend reading it before you sell. It was interesting to me at $2.99.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BN2KD1J/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

That was an interesting read, especially after having gone through the process, and having some (but not all) of the author's feelings reflected in my own experience.

One thing that was 100% relevant in my case was "boredom covering up for incompetence". I had maxed out my first and only product line. I had no idea what the next step was or how to make it happen. But what I said was that I was bored with the business.

I still would have sold. The time was right, for many reasons. It was a +ev decision when all the risks and other factors were considered.

A really interesting idea the book presented was "what if you kept the business, and used the money you were going to pay in taxes on the sale, or something new like hiring a CEO or GM". I did pay a shit ton of taxes, and that hurt. Something I'll think about in the future.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

OP
OP
amp0193

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
May 27, 2013
United States
But I have to ask. Have you figured out insurance yet?
Never did for that biz. I also didn't try that hard.

I made sure I was insurance'd up from the beginning with my new venture.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
One thing that was 100% relevant in my case was "boredom covering up for incompetence". I had maxed out my first and only product line. I had no idea what the next step was or how to make it happen. But what I said was that I was bored with the business.
I had that same thought too reading that. Basically you think your business is stuck at $1M in revenue because you can't get it to $5M so you think you've maxed out your niche and can't go anywhere. So you sell, thinking that you can do better in a larger niche. When the reality is that you just don't know how to do it.

Lenin

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Dec 4, 2018
I took all day to read everything about this thread.
Actually, many new things for me, I'm already starting with my FASTLANE business. I have had a small services business for 9 years, but it is like a self-employment.
I ONLY HAVE TO THANK YOU @amp0193 AND I WILL KEEP LEARNING FROM YOU !!
I am at the beginning of my path.

OP
OP
amp0193

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
May 27, 2013
United States
I took all day to read everything about this thread.
Actually, many new things for me, I'm already starting with my FASTLANE business. I have had a small services business for 9 years, but it is like a self-employment.
I ONLY HAVE TO THANK YOU @amp0193 AND I WILL KEEP LEARNING FROM YOU !!
I am at the beginning of my path.
Thanks for taking the time to read... I'm glad it was helpful for you!

Any chance of scaling that service business, or you have something else you're working on?

AdamBoyd

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Aug 1, 2019
Scotland
What a fantastic thread. Thank you for documenting all of this.

Inspirational.

OP
OP
amp0193

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
May 27, 2013
United States
OP
OP
amp0193

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
May 27, 2013
United States
How is your current business going? The one that you made reference to throughout this thread.
Going very well. Covid actually blew up the demand in a big way. Got lucky there. Shaping up to be a much bigger business than this one was.

AdamBoyd

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Aug 1, 2019
Scotland
Going very well. Covid actually blew up the demand in a big way. Got lucky there. Shaping up to be a much bigger business than this one was.
Great stuff.

Did you only sell one product in the business you sold?

OP
OP
amp0193

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
May 27, 2013
United States
Great stuff.

Did you only sell one product in the business you sold?
I had ~100 skus in the last business.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Valor

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Jan 1, 2014
Pennsylvania
@amp0193 Now that it's been a few years, do you ever keep in touch with the buyers or check on the business that you sold to see how it's doing now? Any idea if the buyer was able to grow things or if the business started to decay after you stopped running things?

OP
OP
amp0193

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
May 27, 2013
United States
@amp0193 Now that it's been a few years, do you ever keep in touch with the buyers or check on the business that you sold to see how it's doing now?
No.

Any idea if the buyer was able to grow things or if the business started to decay after you stopped running things?
I told them everything I would do if I was going to keep running the business and they did none of it.

Within the first month they had a much better looking website. They launched one new product. They got social media going. For the most part though, it looks like they just let it coast.

Probably made their money back and then some I'm sure.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sponsored Offers

FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
I recently bought an ebook from Kobo. It was one of the few places where I could find that...
MARKETPLACE Fox's Web Design Guide: Earn $100K this year (Yes, 2020!) and Go Fastlane
I have zero coding skills whatsoever. Are coding skills needed? Will the be learned in the...
MARKETPLACE How To Create A 100K-1M+ Sales Funnel
@LynX You know, this is a "Marketplace" Thread. Completely appropriate to offer goods and...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Dropping a quick note in here to say... if you are on TFL, you are part of an elite group of...
MARKETPLACE KAK’s “Kill Bigger” Incubation Program- With DAILY personal attention.
I joined @Kak's business incubator in the first week of May. During our daily chats we uncovered...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
This is your May reminder that you can do this. I'll keep it short. These are the May promos...
MARKETPLACE Grow Your Business With a Book (An Unorthodox Marketing Strategy That Built One of the Largest...
Thanks! This is a cool idea, actually. I would like to use your experience as I heard that these...

Visit A Forum Sponsor
sponsor

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected - Please Disable

Yes, ads can be annoying. But please...

...to support the Unscripted/Fastlane mission (and to respect the immense amount of time needed to manage this forum) please DISABLE your ad-block. Thank you.

I've Disabled AdBlock