The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Scandal vs. Trash

PEERless

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jan 23, 2008
I need to choose the right thing to do! Here's the scenario...

I run a silly little site called IWillTellEveryone. I don't really have a plan for it, it's just a clever domain. For now, it is a place where anyone can post anything they want; and I will tell everyone about it.

I envisioned it as a place for individuals to do a little sales pitch or advertise an event. (It's free.) Instead, all I get is crazies. Just yesterday, I got three E-mails from the same lady -- all with the same gist: "My name is so-and-so, and I'm a horrible person, and here's why. Please tell everyone."

What do you think, should I include this ugliness? It might get me some gossip traffic. It's not where I pictured the site going, but I know these things are organic. Perhaps I should honor the Invisible Hand.

I know I'll get some flack for not having a plan or a monetization strategy. If you see an opportunity for either, I'd be happy to hear that as well. Thanks.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

PEERless

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jan 23, 2008
Re: Scanadal vs. Trash

Maybe I'll go down that road. I just don't want to be a gossip columnist. Other thoughts?

kimberland

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Jul 25, 2007

It is not gossip
if it comes from the source.
The more I think about this idea,
the more I like it.
Did you know there are entire magazines
where people write in their true life confessions?

PEERless

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jan 23, 2008

Sure, PostSecret is a guilty pleasure of my own. Think I can go that route? Just disguise names, in case it's libelous?

fanocks2003

Banned
Mar 31, 2008
Sweden

Make money: A little fee on each message people send.
Regarding your problem: Send her message.

One thing though, please protect yourself legally. Youtube and such places (as an example) have problems with being sued for uploaded videos that are not OK:ed by the original source.

In your case I would guess your problem lays in being sued for sending messages that could be considered unlawful (threats etc from the original source). I guess you need to review your legal strategy for your service. Maybe talk to a business lawyer about how to make people who send messages through your system, commit to a disclaimer rule of some kind? Freeing you from responsibility of wrongful messages.

I would also advise you to make it possible for people to sign up for free at your site so as to enforce the legal stuff. They somehow need an account so that you can prove their legal commitment. Maybe this could be made in other ways too. But why not make it simple?

Just my view of it. People can be horrible when you let yourself open for the possibility of being knocked down. First hand experience right here (in me).

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA

Let's say I just had a fight w/Miss X.

Seems like it would be really easy to go to your site, tell you I'm Miss X,

and then go into detail on what a horrible person Miss X is

or even tell you about some illegal activities she's been up to

Maybe even make some stuff up.

You spread the word areound, and, Voila!

Miss X's good name is slandered.

Seems like you need to cover yourself, PEERless, so

Miss X can't sue.

-Russ H.

PEERless

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jan 23, 2008

I 100% agree with your fears of libel and other liabilities. As it is now, the site is essentially a public place to post whatever you like, even lies and hatred. Certainly there is a market for this kind of crap, but not the kind of crap I wanted to be involved in...

Perhaps I'll do some cheap SEO optimization and link-building then flip it to someone who wants to be in that industry.

THEKID105

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 21, 2008

I see you have a looney tunes on your hands. I feel for you. When I read you message I remembered something. The rules. Even when I registered to this forum they had a set of rules I had to agree on. If they don,t agree their stuff gets deleted. You can set some restrictions on what a person can put on the site. Hope I helped you some. If it were me I would delete the looney ones.

PEERless

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jan 23, 2008

I have a legal page, that says you agree to the terms, simply by using the site. But it doesn't require checking a box or anything...

Justin

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Mar 19, 2008

there was a site called notproud that did this - it was hugely popular but is now closed.

ZenSatori

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Sep 2, 2008
Marietta, Georgia

PEERless

Another offbeat idea.

Instead of a site about rumors and gossip, look at it from the opposite side. Re-brand it and encourage it to be a site about people posting about the good things that friends, relatives, even strangers have done. Bring recognition to acts of good deeds, random or planned acts of kindness etc...

"I will tell tell everyone how great you are"

Make it a virtual "pat on the back".

With all the crap going on in the world today, especially now, I would much rather be inspired by stories about how good we are as a whole. I would do a PR release to market it, playing up the fact that times are tough, but there a lot of good people out there who do good things but are not recognized. This is a way to give them their due.

This also kinda negates the whole slander thing.... ;)

Zen
ProjectNOMAD

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007

ZenSatori,

Excellent! Love this!!

PEERless

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jan 23, 2008
Jesus, Zen! PEER Enterprises might soon have a place on the board for you! Thanks again!!!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.