The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Riding on the coat tails of those who are successful

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

Rem

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 14, 2009
Maine
I know I haven't posted here in a while. I wanted to post something and get a general idea how others feel about this. I have always wanted to be an investor. The idea of having money and investing in companies seemed like a great things to do. From the perspective of the company, they need your money. A couple years ago I invested in some private companies. Just recently I invested some of my time and expertise but I have been able to receive equity from these companies. From what I can tell, 2 out of the 3 companies are beginning to take off. But I have such a small interest in the company and am basically now a silent investor. I don't have any control at all with how the businesses are run. Sure I can offer up my opinions and try to be influential but at the end of the day I have no control at all.

I am not worried about it, but one of them looks to leave me with a large return in 3-5 years through dividends and a sell off. Enough to be a multi-millionaire. Another would give me a nice moderate return. The other has yet to show me anything but sure the potential is always there. It has begun to rub me the wrong way a bit though. Of course I like the idea of collecting on the money, but I am really only sitting here riding on the coat tails of the success of others. I have literally done NOTHING with 2 of these companies. NOTHING. I went to the back 2 1/2 years ago and wired money into their account and received equity.

It is not fastlane, as it follows no other fastlane principle other than it being passive income. Other than that I am just a sleezy slime ball sitting back and making my money. Why is it I can't see past this? I know they needed the money at the time so it did help the company. I have to admit this part. But when people begin to ask me how I made my money I don't feel like I have earned it.

I guess I can think of worse problems. But what is the general feeling among fastlaners and entrepreneurs about giving money to a company and collecting a paycheck off the hard work of OTHERS. I know these guys have been busting their butts for a couple years while I did nothing.

Thoughts?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
What do you do with your time during the day?

Are you busy or not really?

Reason I ask is I find myself with a TON of time on my hands with no hobbies so I pick at things that do not need to be picked on or over analyzed.

I REALLY need to get a business going which requires a lot of my time as I am so bored, is this possibly the situation with you?

Rem

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 14, 2009
Maine
Well no not really. I have been hired part time by company 3 which has the potential. Just waiting on larger funding. Waiting on tax breaks to be signed off on by the IRS. They accepted so now it's on to getting contracts. But like anything it's all about execution. Other than that I have created a local business here and the product is in development. I haven't even formed the business yet. I have met with 3 others and we make up a BoD and I have gone out and spoken with potential clients so I am certainly busy enough. I like the idea of working on my own stuff and of course plan to leverage this to generate income. In the process I am going to automate things although there will always be a level of promotion that needs to take place. I am just thinking what others thought about becoming a millionaire because of someone else's work. But they knew when they asked me 2 1/2 years ago they were receiving money in exchange for equity. and they don't seem concerned at all with me since my share is very small.

kimberland

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Jul 25, 2007
But what is the general feeling among fastlaners and entrepreneurs about giving money to a company and collecting a paycheck off the hard work of OTHERS. I know these guys have been busting their butts for a couple years while I did nothing.

Thoughts?

You didn't do nothing.
You gave them financing when they needed it the most.
Heck, you BELIEVED in them when others didn't.
Never discount that.

If you feel guilty about doing nothing, then do something.
NOT with these companies.
They seem to be prospering without you and you shouldn't mess up their momentum.

Build your own business.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Sounds like an ego problem. If you're not OK with making money off of other people's time because it's below you or something, maybe investing isn't for you. And it's true that it isn't fastlane because you sacrifice control. But it doesn't mean that it's inherently 'bad money'. I say take advantage, cuz it sounds like you've already made your bread and are now just investing what you've made.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.