The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Revisiting Previous "Failed" Business Ideas (As Potential Side Hustles)

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

Velo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Nov 25, 2020
I put "failed" in quotations because I lost interest/motivation after 1-2 months in and not because the ideas themselves were not viable or workable.

Anyway, long story short, I, like many of you, need a "side hustle" to fund the primary business of our choice.

Some previous ideas that I never pursued diligently, but merely dabbled in:

1) Wall Art/Canvas Art

2) Catering (here, some kind of ethnic cuisine that isn't seen very often like Eastern European, African, Middle Eastern, etc. should provide enough differentiation and work out - assuming either you or the head chef is somewhat competent)

3) Tutoring for skills in non-academic subjects; e.g. housework, carwork, video games (yes people will pay money for this), sports/hunting, etc.

With minimal effort, I believe you should be able to make to pay for all cost of living expenses incl. taxes + use the remainder for bootstrapping purposes. Even if it's only ~$10K it's much better than nothing.

Now here's the thing - my younger self said, "Oh yea none of these are CENTS businesses so they're worthless." That turned out to be a costly mistake.

I will go ahead and revisit these - I'm curious what "side hustles" you have come up with? You can even think of a "side hustle" as a non-CENTS business.

One last thing - TBH I'm not a big fan of web design just because every "web design agency" slaps on some theme and makes customizations and charges you $500-$10K while hiring some guy on Fiverr to make changes to Wix/Shopify/WP/whatever they're using. Obviously you CAN succeed but it seems a bit too overcrowded...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

DougRMR

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Apr 19, 2019
I put "failed" in quotations because I lost interest/motivation after 1-2 months in and not because the ideas themselves were not viable or workable.

Anyway, long story short, I, like many of you, need a "side hustle" to fund the primary business of our choice.

Some previous ideas that I never pursued diligently, but merely dabbled in:

1) Wall Art/Canvas Art

2) Catering (here, some kind of ethnic cuisine that isn't seen very often like Eastern European, African, Middle Eastern, etc. should provide enough differentiation and work out - assuming either you or the head chef is somewhat competent)

3) Tutoring for skills in non-academic subjects; e.g. housework, carwork, video games (yes people will pay money for this), sports/hunting, etc.

With minimal effort, I believe you should be able to make to pay for all cost of living expenses incl. taxes + use the remainder for bootstrapping purposes. Even if it's only ~$10K it's much better than nothing.

Now here's the thing - my younger self said, "Oh yea none of these are CENTS businesses so they're worthless." That turned out to be a costly mistake.

I will go ahead and revisit these - I'm curious what "side hustles" you have come up with? You can even think of a "side hustle" as a non-CENTS business.

One last thing - TBH I'm not a big fan of web design just because every "web design agency" slaps on some theme and makes customizations and charges you $500-$10K while hiring some guy on Fiverr to make changes to Wix/Shopify/WP/whatever they're using. Obviously you CAN succeed but it seems a bit too overcrowded...
Currently working on a chocolate chip cookie recipe to sell during work hours and to friends and family. For now it's just to make a little bit of extra money while also having fun doing it. The cookie's done from scratch with a few unique selling points (no eggs, secret ingredient) that so far have gotten good reception. A few people who tasted the samples have asked me when I'm gonna start selling them, so I'll take that as a positive :) If demand grows high enough, who knows what might happen. Also working on web design with a focus on lead generation and Facebook Ads, basically selling the whole package.

As for the fastlane business I plan for in the future when I gain enough capital I'm still working on what it could be. But for now my "side hustles" are web design and baking.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
My side project is a membership site and a paid email newsletter. It’s related to my consulting work, but a completely different market.

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
My side project pays for all my living expenses.
My #2 side project pays for ideas I’m working on.

They both violate CENTS. MJ never said a business that violates CENTS won’t make money.

I could be very stressed and try to take both to the next level or do what I do and work on a project that doesn’t violate CENTS while everything else is taken care for.

Velo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Nov 25, 2020
My side project pays for all my living expenses.
My #2 side project pays for ideas I’m working on.

They both violate CENTS. MJ never said a business that violates CENTS won’t make money.

I could be very stressed and try to take both to the next level or do what I do and work on a project that doesn’t violate CENTS while everything else is taken care for.

I'd like to ask how much time side projects #1 and #2 take per week or month?

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
Are any of these side hustles related to the main business you want to do? Do they share a customer base, or give you information about the market in which your primary business exists? Maybe lead toward an eventual sale for that business?

I see nothing wrong with "previously failed business ideas." If you can take what you learned the first time and apply it, you should at least do better. There are things I trudged along miserably at 20 years ago that I think would be easy today.

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
I'd like to ask how much time side projects #1 and #2 take per week or month?
To be honest I never really timed it.
I some time upfront doing everything I could to get them here and now the maintenance is 10 minutes a day, if that.

There might be an extra hour a week where I try some new things but that’s it. It’s at a point where it doesn’t grow or decline but keeps it steady so all of my time is focused on what I need to do.

Call it a glimpse of financial independence.

It doesn’t have to be sexy. As long as it’s on autopilot and it pays the bills, it doesn’t matter. You’re not building Facebook.

I think anyone could do this to bootstrap a business !

Velo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Nov 25, 2020
Are any of these side hustles related to the main business you want to do? Do they share a customer base, or give you information about the market in which your primary business exists? Maybe lead toward an eventual sale for that business?

I see nothing wrong with "previously failed business ideas." If you can take what you learned the first time and apply it, you should at least do better. There are things I trudged along miserably at 20 years ago that I think would be easy today.

Not really. I'm a bit on the erratic side so I just do w/e I feel like. Obviously I'm aware of the limitations of certain types of businesses but once I factor in those constraints I have a very laid back attitude.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.